PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Pool Halls

stroke
07-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I can no longer handle the unhealty air in pool halls and therefore no longer enter tournaments. Does anybody else feel the same way? Are you non-smokers tired of stinking like an ashtray and breathing second hand smoke? Is it time for smoke free pool tournaments?

nfty9er
07-03-2006, 01:33 AM
I can no longer handle the unhealty air in pool halls and therefore no longer enter tournaments. Does anybody else feel the same way? Are you non-smokers tired of stinking like an ashtray and breathing second hand smoke? Is it time for smoke free pool tournaments?
Do a search,this subject has been debated to death for months now.
It is close to all states banning indoor smoking.

stroke
07-03-2006, 06:40 AM
nfty9er: I will do a search....thanks.

Part of me says that it should be up to the owner of the business but indoor smoking is a major health hazard. I don't care if people smoke, I just don't want to be a smoker by default. Consequently, I have to stay out of pool halls.

I remember going to a 9-ball tourny in DallAss. The entire place was in a dense fog. It was awful. I couldn't stay and watch because I couldn't breath. I also remember a young couple bringing their baby into a Dallas pool hall. I was shocked that they subjected their infant to this abuse.

It would be intersting if someone would do a survey of non-smoking pool players to see if second hand smoke increases the risk of smoking related diseases. I'll bet that it does. Lung cancer ain't no fun.

Craig Fales
07-03-2006, 07:01 AM
Do a search,this subject has been debated to death for months now.
It is close to all states banning indoor smoking.

Think God...Michigan needs to catch up...like always....
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER FORUM (http://www.vaporizers.net/)

jason
07-03-2006, 07:11 AM
It's a free country. Start your own smoke free pool hall or tournament.

seiyaryu55
07-03-2006, 07:33 AM
I remember a few years back i was in playboy billiards in brooklyn and it was so smokey i had to step outside after half an hour. I just couldnt breathe anymore. Whats ironic was that they had signs up on the wall saying there was no smoking yet the chairs had ashtrays and the person at the counter was smoking. I swore i would never go back (that and it was pretty expensive). A little smoke i dont mind but once i cant breathe properly im done with the place.

If you dont like the smokey halls, my advice is dont go to them anymore. Im sure you can find a hall that doesnt have that "dense fog" of smoke. Complaining about it on an online forum isnt going to change what happens at the halls near you.

AZE
07-03-2006, 07:58 AM
I personally don't smoke - hate it. And I'd love to go into pool halls that were smoke free. But I'm not going to complain too much, because the pool hall isn't mine, it's a place I choose to go. I deal with it.
I don't know why more pool halls (at least the ones that make good $$) around here don't buy better filters - like top of the line shit - because I know of ALOT of people that like pool, but refuse to go to a pool hall because "it's just too smokey".

I'm also convinced that myself, along with everyone I know who is a regular pool-hall go'er is going to get lung cancer and die.. but it's cool.. I don't plan on living that long any way, lol.

Williebetmore
07-03-2006, 08:12 AM
I can no longer handle the unhealty air in pool halls and therefore no longer enter tournaments. Does anybody else feel the same way?

Stroke,
Yes and no. Yes, I hate the smoke; but I'm so addicted to pool that I still play 20 weeks a year in the straight pool league at the local "smokey pool hall." I come home stinking of cigarettes, wheezing from the smoke, eyes watering - but hey, at least I get to play some straight pool.

ScottW
07-03-2006, 08:22 AM
No more smoky pool halls here in Colorado as of 7/1! State-wide indoor smoking ban went into effect at the start of the month.

I was out with a bunch of folks Friday night in this one pub, and was amused to see signs tacked up around the place "No smoking after midnight" - this was 6/30, where after midnight it was now 7/1. :D

I have yet to go visit my favorite-yet-formerly-smoky pool joints since the ban, though.

StraightPoolIU
07-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Well I know Willie likes to tell me that I only prefer the diritiest smokiest pool halls, but that's not really the case. I've gotten used to the no smoking ordinance here in Bloomington that even includes bars. I used to be against it in principle because I feel it is a violation of free market principles, but it's nice to come home not reaking of smoke. This is the funny part though. If you go to the local pool hall here (not the one at the University) the owner and regulars just ignore the ordinance so you still stink after you play there.

Njhustler1
07-03-2006, 08:26 AM
They banned them in NJ. Thank god. If the smokers wanna smoke, they can do it outside. If they're so addicted that they need one every five minutes, then they got bigger problems to worry about then being forced to go outside. It's not fair for their bad/disgusting habits to inhibit others from having playing pool in a healthy environment.

StevenPWaldon
07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm from California originally, and I was happy they banned indoor smoking 10 years ago. I wish the rest of the nation would catch up already.

Most places have an area in the back or front where smokers can take a step outside and do their thing, but how can a non-smoker enter a smokey poolhall and not inhale a ton of smoke and come out smelling like it?

Personally what's worse to me is that you come out of a smoke-infested room smelling god awful. Yes, second hand smoke is bad but my immediate disgust is with the smell because it's so strong and prevalent -- even the next day.

And yes, I'm a smoker.

hobokenapa
07-03-2006, 10:51 AM

They banned it in Jersey a few months ago, and it was a god-send. Now I can play in Jersey and New York without breathing in smoke. After being sick for two days after an APA event in Roebling in what was the most ghastly environment imaginable, I vowed never to go back. Some things aren't worth it.

ScottW
07-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Maybe thought should be put to the idea of petitioning the APA, BCA, etc. to ban smoking within the venues they have their nationals in. Let'em have a "smoking room" nearby for those folks who need their fix.