PDA

View Full Version : APA US Amateur Championship

jjinfla
07-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Anybody entering this event.

I would have liked giving it a shot but I missed the deadline.

There is a guy here who will be playing in Maryland. I have been playing him about three hours every day so he can fine tune his game. Hard to tell how good he is. All I know is that I only win 30-40% of our games and I really don't play all that bad. Or so I think.

Time to head to the club and take my beating.

Jake

RunArak
07-03-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm in for the first time. I will be playing in the Ohio qualifier in Columbus. Really looking forward to it, sounds like fun.

Peace, Joe

jjinfla
07-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Good luck - shoot well.

Jake

hobokenapa
07-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I'll be in Allentown. Lost 7-5 in the final qualifying match last year so hoping to go one better this time around.

frankncali
07-05-2006, 03:24 AM
Im playing
I tried a couple years ago and qualified and wound up finishing
9-12. It very expensive and for me the experience (it was not bad)
was lacking. Thought he pool room was very nice but I did think the
APA lacked in the production/management portion of running the event.

I said that I would not try it again but that was wrong I guess. One reason is the finals are being held in Atl and not CT. This gets me back home in the south and its a little cheaper coming to Atl.

Hopefully I can have a good showing at the qualifier. I need to
start getting ready.

cuechick
07-05-2006, 04:13 AM
I am lucky, I live in Atl and am planning to play...however I fractured my right elbow 4 weeks ago so I am concerned about being able to play my best.
It is a weird event, since there is no cash payout...I would not bother if I did not live right here. Are there prizes of some sort?

DoomCue
07-05-2006, 06:04 AM
According to the APA's website:

In addition to advancing to a pro event, each Champion will receive a magnificent marble and bronze trophyand event jacket.

Both Champions receive a one year free APA membership and are also invited to return to the Championship Rounds the following year to defend their titles.
I'm not sure about the women, but traditionally, the men's winner gets a spot in the US Open 9-ball Championships in Chesapeake, VA.

-djb

JoeyA
07-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Last year I was scheduled to play in the qualifier that was supposed to be held here in New Orleans at the Corner Pocket pool room but hurricane Katrina had a say in the scheduling so it was moved to Shreveport, LA. My home was flooded and I lost my business. Not knowing what the future had in store for me and my family, I took a temporary job as an insurance adjuster working for State Farm in Louisiana for the purposes of settling insurance claims from Katrina losses and passed through Shreveport, LA/Bill Shick's pool hall on the way to Dallas for additional adjuster flood training. The U.S. Amateur qualifier was going on and I watched for about 45 minutes and had to continue on my journey to Dallas. I saw lots of good pool played and MANY determined competitors there, Scott Pardo in particular, who is a formidable player, placing high each year in the U.S. Amateur event. I have always wanted to play and play well in this tournament because it is where I feel I belong. Having a full time job for the last 40 years and playing pool as a hobby, naturally makes me an amateur; that coupled with my amateur play. :-)

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way. I am not being egotistical because it is part of my preparation for this event when I say that I will play my best pool at the qualifier to be held in Shreveport, LA on September 23-24 and expect to play even better in Atlanta on November 3-5. I expect to be healthy, in shape and win every match and I expect to make every makeable ball.....................There, I have said it. Now, there is no other option for me except to play my best pool. Excuses for poor play or bad luck will not be acceptable. My bridges are burned and I can turn back no longer. Now I have to start my fitness program. Uggh.

I hope I did not offend anyone with this bold post. It was not my intention. Best of luck to everyone participating in this event. Hope to see you in the finals.
Warmest Regards,
JoeyA

ljmoss
07-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Anybody entering this event.

I would have liked giving it a shot but I missed the deadline.

There is a guy here who will be playing in Maryland. I have been playing him about three hours every day so he can fine tune his game. Hard to tell how good he is. All I know is that I only win 30-40% of our games and I really don't play all that bad. Or so I think.

Time to head to the club and take my beating.

Jake
jj

if you missed that event you still have time to get your entry in for the BCA NATIONAL 9 BALL TOURNAMENT to be held in aug. info at playbca.com
US ONE POCKET TO BE HELD AT THE SAME TIME.
L Moss

Wild Thing II
07-07-2006, 08:42 AM
If I were you I would call and ask them if it's too late. I have sent mine in late a couple of times after calling them. It's worth a shot.

Ronoh
07-07-2006, 09:27 AM
I'll be at the Allentown location. Hopefully this year I'll do better.

frankncali
07-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Last year I was scheduled to play in the qualifier that was supposed to be held here in New Orleans at the Corner Pocket pool room but hurricane Katrina had a say in the scheduling so it was moved to Shreveport, LA. My home was flooded and I lost my business. Not knowing what the future had in store for me and my family, I took a temporary job as an insurance adjuster working for State Farm in Louisiana for the purposes of settling insurance claims from Katrina losses and passed through Shreveport, LA/Bill Shick's pool hall on the way to Dallas for additional adjuster flood training. The U.S. Amateur qualifier was going on and I watched for about 45 minutes and had to continue on my journey to Dallas. I saw lots of good pool played and MANY determined competitors there, Scott Pardo in particular, who is a formidable player, placing high each year in the U.S. Amateur event. I have always wanted to play and play well in this tournament because it is where I feel I belong. Having a full time job for the last 40 years and playing pool as a hobby, naturally makes me an amateur; that coupled with my amateur play. :-)

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way. I am not being egotistical because it is part of my preparation for this event when I say that I will play my best pool at the qualifier to be held in Shreveport, LA on September 23-24 and expect to play even better in Atlanta on November 3-5. I expect to be healthy, in shape and win every match and I expect to make every makeable ball.....................There, I have said it. Now, there is no other option for me except to play my best pool. Excuses for poor play or bad luck will not be acceptable. My bridges are burned and I can turn back no longer. Now I have to start my fitness program. Uggh.

I hope I did not offend anyone with this bold post. It was not my intention. Best of luck to everyone participating in this event. Hope to see you in the finals.
Warmest Regards,
JoeyA

Good luck to you Joey
Hopefully I will see you in Atlanta in Nov.
When I finished 9-12 I was disappointed in my two losses. The first one I played okay but not good enough to win. The second I had a poor showing and know that I can play better.
Have you ever been to the host location for the qualifer?
Here I have not but plan on going once or twice just to hopefully make me more comfortable with the place and the tables.

Samiel
07-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Not playing, but a friend of mine (who plays about the same speed as me) won one of the qualifiers a couple years back... so it can't be that hard! :p

JoeyA
07-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Frank, it would be great not only to see you in Atlanta but to compete against you in the finals.

I only passed through the host location for the qualifier last year but did not hit a ball. I plan to go to Atlanta to hit some balls in October if----WHEN I qualify in Shreveport.

Losses are always disappointments to winners like you Frank. I wish the qualifier location was closer for me but it is too far for me to drive and no cheap fares to Shreveport from NOLA that I know of.

Good shooting and best of luck.
JoeyA

Good luck to you Joey
Hopefully I will see you in Atlanta in Nov.
When I finished 9-12 I was disappointed in my two losses. The first one I played okay but not good enough to win. The second I had a poor showing and know that I can play better.
Have you ever been to the host location for the qualifer?
Here I have not but plan on going once or twice just to hopefully make me more comfortable with the place and the tables.

JoeyA
07-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Not playing, but a friend of mine (who plays about the same speed as me) won one of the qualifiers a couple years back... so it can't be that hard! :p

I saw your smiley face Samiel but I won't be underestimating any of the players in this event as I know that many of them play quite well and some close to or at the pro level.

I was wondering though, how previous winners of this event fared in the U.S. Open Nine Ball Tournament or whichever pro tournament they chose.

Warm Regards,
JoeyA

JoeyA
07-07-2006, 05:01 PM
YOu should play Samiel. It would be great experience for you and you would have fun.
JoeyA

ljmoss
07-07-2006, 06:36 PM
joey a,

is this THE joey a from new orleans? irf so great to catch up again

Linda Moss

JoeyA
07-08-2006, 09:20 AM
joey a,

is this THE joey a from new orleans? irf so great to catch up again

Linda Moss

Hi Linda,
This is almost the same guy from New Orleans. He is changed a little bit since Katrina but overall about the same. Good to hear from you. Keep in touch.
Warm Regards,
JoeyA
New Orleans

hobokenapa
09-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Good luck to everyone this weekend. If you are at Gallery Billiards in Allentown, please introduce yourself to me. My name is Tim, and I'll probably be the only one with a British accent :)

hobokenapa
09-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm in for the first time. I will be playing in the Ohio qualifier in Columbus. Really looking forward to it, sounds like fun.

Peace, Joe

If you are still playing in this, my buddy Darren will be there, and I'm sure his British accent will stand out even more in Columbus that mine does in Allentown.

9balllvr
09-20-2006, 03:22 PM
According to the APA's website:

I'm not sure about the women, but traditionally, the men's winner gets a spot in the US Open 9-ball Championships in Chesapeake, VA.

-djb

the women receive a pro spot as well (WPBA) if they win the championships.

9balllvr

uwate
09-25-2006, 09:55 AM
The Miami Bird Bowl qualifier was held this weekend. Bruce Choyce, myself and Amy Poulter advanced to the national tournament in Nov. How did others do in their preliminaries?

RunArak
09-25-2006, 11:34 AM
The Miami Bird Bowl qualifier was held this weekend. Bruce Choyce, myself and Amy Poulter advanced to the national tournament in Nov. How did others do in their preliminaries?

I played in the qualifier in Columbus Ohio. I believe that there were 58 men. I came one game short of qualifying.. Lost 7-6 in my final round to get there, and I had a 6-3 lead in the set. Man did that hurt my pride, but that is the way it goes some time.
Got off to a good start with wins of 7-1, 7-2, 7-0. The matches that I lost were 7-5 and 7-6.. Maybe next year. Can't blame anyone but myself.

Congrats to UWATE and any others that may have qualified.

Joe K.

RunArak
09-25-2006, 11:36 AM
If you are still playing in this, my buddy Darren will be there, and I'm sure his British accent will stand out even more in Columbus that mine does in Allentown.

I think that I may have met your buddy at the bar on Sat. He was sitting next to me watching the Ryder cup. Did not catch his name but he certainly had the accent. Hope you did well..

Joe K.

vgodley1
09-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi,

I played in the one in Ralegh this weekend. We had 116 men and 14 women show up. Made it through all my rounds sat. and was shooting well. I showed up sunday morning to play in the finals on the winners side but my game must'a stayed in BED.:eek: Oh well......moved to the 1 loss side and my game just turned over and let out a big snore!:eek: :eek: .....Mabe next year.....:) but I have to say I had a really good time and met some nice people and enjoyed watching a lot of very good pool being played.

Vee

AuntyDan
09-25-2006, 11:59 AM
I wansn't there myself, but my friend Fast Mikie (http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=4188) was. He didn't manage to qualify himself (see his blog entry (http://poolshooter.blogspot.com/2006/09/look-what-i-won.html)) but for anyone interested he's posted these results for the CA qualifier:

Men's US Amateur qualifiers:
John Troy (San Diego)
James DeCicco (San Diego)
Chuck Jacques (Orange County)
David Deninno (Orange County)
Brian Parks (Bakersfield)

Ladies US Amateur qualifiers:
Shar Young (San Diego)
Luz De Lira (San Diego)

cuechick
09-25-2006, 01:26 PM
I played this weekend in Greenville, over 100 men and 25 women (and only 13 tables!!!). I won the winners bracket for the women. Not sure who won the other spots...very excited to see y'all in Atlanta in November!

p.s. my arm is all better!

JoeyA
09-25-2006, 09:09 PM
I am lucky, I live in Atl and am planning to play...however I fractured my right elbow 4 weeks ago so I am concerned about being able to play my best.
It is a weird event, since there is no cash payout...I would not bother if I did not live right here. Are there prizes of some sort?

For the qualifiers you win two nights at an Atlanta Hotel and a trophy.

The finals championship tournament. Should you win that, you win a jacket, a bronze and marble trophy and an all expense paid trip to a pro tournament.....
JoeyA

JoeyA
09-25-2006, 09:13 PM
I played this weekend in Greenville, over 100 men and 25 women (and only 13 tables!!!). I won the winners bracket for the women. Not sure who won the other spots...very excited to see y'all in Atlanta in November!

p.s. my arm is all better!

Congratulations on your victory. Good luck in Atlanta.
JoeyA

uwate
09-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Joey how did your preliminary round tourny shake out? btw Ive seen you play..I think it was Naples. You play damn good for a working joe :-)

JoeyA
09-25-2006, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=AuntyDan]I wansn't there myself, but my friend Fast Mikie (http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=4188) was. He didn't manage to qualify himself (see his blog entry (http://poolshooter.blogspot.com/2006/09/look-what-i-won.html)) but for anyone interested he's posted these results for the CA qualifier:

Men's US Amateur qualifiers:
John Troy (San Diego)
James DeCicco (San Diego)
Chuck Jacques (Orange County)
David Deninno (Orange County)
Brian Parks (Bakersfield)

Ladies US Amateur qualifiers:
Shar Young (San Diego)
Luz De Lira (San Diego)[/QUO

TE]

There's one other California qualifier going on. Hope Frank is in that one.
JoeyA

CantEverWin
09-26-2006, 12:49 AM
In the CA tourney only 5 guys went. The ones that were listed. 4 from the winners side, and 1 from the losers side. Also, two women. I believe between the 2 genders there were 76 players, could be off by a couple, but in the 70's, and there were 8 tables. Buddy of mine that I went with showed up at
11:00am for the players meeting, and didn't play until
9:30pm later on that night, It was just stupid.

RunArak
09-26-2006, 04:52 AM
In the CA tourney only 5 guys went. The ones that were listed. 4 from the winners side, and 1 from the losers side. Also, two women. I believe between the 2 genders there were 76 players, could be off by a couple, but in the 70's, and there were 8 tables. Buddy of mine that I went with showed up at
11:00am for the players meeting, and didn't play until
9:30pm later on that night, It was just stupid.

The tournament in Ohio was the same way. Around 70 players combined between women and men and only 8 tables. It was a grueling day to say the least. Sunday went much better even though I played MUCH better on Sat.. Many players only played one match Sat but had to stick around for 12 hours. Needless to say, many from the losers bracket did not stick around to play in the losers side matches. Having that few tables, was brutal.
Still fun though!!

cuechick
09-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Wow, I thought we had it rough with just 13 tables!

9Ball_JJ
09-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Anybody have any results from the one in Texas??

JoeyA
09-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Joey how did your preliminary round tourny shake out? btw Ive seen you play..I think it was Naples. You play damn good for a working joe :-)

I hate it when somebody has seen me play and I haven't seen them play.
I am a double working Joe right now, trying to renovate home and apartment while keeping the business afloat. I did play in Naples. What a beautiful city? It looks like there is nothing but money in that town. Did you play in that tournament? Maybe I could get a peep at how you play and who you are. ;-)

Thanks for asking about the qualifer. I got lucky and will be attending the finals in Atlanta. Anyone heard how Frank from California made out?
JoeyA

!Smorgass Bored
09-26-2006, 03:48 PM
I did play in Naples. What a beautiful city? It looks like there is nothing but money in that town.
Thanks for asking about the qualifer. I got lucky and will be attending the finals in Atlanta.
JoeyA

I remember driving to Naples to sweat your matches (you done well, grasshopper). Congratulations on qualifying for Atlanta.
The local amateur tournament was held Sunday at Planet 9-Ball in Tampa along with the monthly 9 Ball tournament. The monthly tournament was won by Will Bilbrey over Brian Davalos, while the two amateur qualifying spots went to Stroker's roomowner Jose DelRio and to Jason Ritchko.

Doug

JoeyA
09-26-2006, 04:35 PM
I remember driving to Naples to sweat your matches (you done well, grasshopper). Congratulations on qualifying for Atlanta.
The local amateur tournament was held Sunday at Planet 9-Ball in Tampa along with the monthly 9 Ball tournament. The monthly tournament was won by Will Bilbrey over Brian Davalos, while the two amateur qualifying spots went to Stroker's roomowner Jose DelRio and to Jason Ritchko.

Doug

Well, you did bring me some good luck at Naples and you DID admonish Buddy H for his distractions while I was playing on that table where there were seventy million people traveling in an out every 7 nanoseconds or was that in Biloxi where you were covering my back when the Rifleman came a singin'? SOOOOOO. ARe you coming to Atlanta to see me win it? You know you will have to be real quiet, not move even an eyelash from when I am about to approach the table, while I am preparing to make a shot, while I am shooting, nor while I am on the way to sit down after running out multiple racks........Nahhh, you are probably getting too old to sit there like you are waiting for Bambi in the winter, to come out from the trees to give you a good bead on primo venison. And no popcorn for you or my opponents while I am playing a match. At least no containers for the popcorn that can be made to sound like Hi-Fi Maracas. Ok, I will bring my custom fitted ear plugs... Yeah, the ones just like Ray Martin wears. Well maybe not exactly like his but the results are the same. LOL

BTW, my customer/sponsor is tickled pink with my performance at the preliminaries and is prepared to belly-up to table once more in Atlanta. I hope to represent them well.
Warm Regards,
JoeyA

frankncali
09-27-2006, 02:56 AM
I played in the San Diego qualifier and did not make it.

Not real sure what I am going to post but I will say this...

Good luck to the guys and gals that made it. It was a tough couple days for some. We had 56 men and 18 ladies and only 8 tables!!
I arrived at 10 sat morning and did not play a match until 9PM tha night.
There were only about 20- 22 seats in the building

I very much did not enjoy myself but I had "other" things going on and
I think I let it affect me. The two guys taht beat me deserved the wins and
I did not.

The host was a real nice guy but his room was just not big enough for something of this size.

Our board qualified 5 guys -- 4 from the winners side and then the winner of the losers side. That is brutal. I played in the semi finals on the winners side and lost which left me having to win 5 matches from there to qualify.

One player was allowed to play an extra match on saturday night so that
he could catch a plane to the US Open. I thought this was unfair to his opponnet and to the tournament players as a whole. Myself and many others would have loved to have played an extra match. If I had lost I would have left and saved myself the $80 hotel and another days expenses.

All in all there were some great people there and I did not play well enough to win a spot. The last part is the bottom line.

I am not sure if I will try it again. I tried in 2003 and made it finishing 9th at the main event. If I do I will hope to have all the "other" stuff out of my head.

To top it off I broke down 100 miles from home and had to get towed back
home.

Good luck to everyone going especially the San Diego qualifers along with
JoeyA and any others from the board that qualified. My buddy from Alabama also made it so I hope he plays well also.

One last thing -- I thought it would have been nice for a donation jug to be setup for people to throw in a few bucks for the qualifiers. That or some type of fund raiser. Having went on my own buck before I know how pricey it can be. I would have gladly thrown in some $$$ for the cause.

uwate
09-27-2006, 06:10 AM
I hate it when somebody has seen me play and I haven't seen them play.
I am a double working Joe right now, trying to renovate home and apartment while keeping the business afloat. I did play in Naples. What a beautiful city? It looks like there is nothing but money in that town. Did you play in that tournament? Maybe I could get a peep at how you play and who you are. ;-)

Thanks for asking about the qualifer. I got lucky and will be attending the finals in Atlanta. Anyone heard how Frank from California made out?
JoeyA

I am too young to have played in the senior event (40 yo). Ill introduce myself in Atlanta.

JoeyA
09-27-2006, 06:54 AM
[QUOTE=frankncali]I played in the San Diego qualifier and did not make it.

Not real sure what I am going to post but I will say this...

Good luck to the guys and gals that made it. It was a tough couple days for some. We had 56 men and 18 ladies and only 8 tables!!
I arrived at 10 sat morning and did not play a match until 9PM tha night.
There were only about 20- 22 seats in the building

I very much did not enjoy myself but I had "other" things going on and
I think I let it affect me. The two guys that beat me deserved the wins and
I did not.

The stars just weren't aligned for you that day Frank. There are a lot of good players capable of winning a race to 7 in these preliminaries, let alone the finals but it was sporting of you to be so gracious to your opponents. Sitting all that time would probably have had the same result on me.
JoeyA

JoeyA
09-27-2006, 07:19 AM
I'll introduce myself in Atlanta.

Hopefully, it will be in the finals. Good luck to you.
JoeyA

cuechick
09-28-2006, 09:40 AM
I heard that something weird happened with the winner of the Greenville's women's loser side bracket?

Anyone have the details? I heard after a 2-hour hill hill final the winner forfeited the match to the loser?
:eek: :confused: