PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some McDermott feedback...

Irish634
07-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if any of the AZers here could provide feedback on the McDermott "I" series shafts. I am particularly interested in the I2 control shaft.

Any feedback (good or bad) would be appreciated. What do you like/dislike about the shafts, how is the playability, etc?

Thank you in advance.
Craig

Ernie T
07-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi Irish624. I have had an I-2 for about 9 months - definitely think it is a shaft you need to learn to use - similar to other low deflection shafts. The hit is solid - no "dunk" sounds like the 314 - and my opinion is it provides better feedback (note that my compares have been conventional shafts, some turned ones, and the 314's). Running a dime tip shape - moving the cueball is effortless. Biggest thing to learn is the smaller tips increase the chance of spin if you don't pay exact attention to where you hit the cueball. They come with a Moori tip and have the warranty - hard to beat. Side note - they are very light in weight.

RBLilly
07-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Well I personally own all three shafts from McDermott, the I-1, I-2, and the I-3. I love the I-3, but that is because I like the 11.75mm tip.

All three shafts play really well, and they are all light due to the fact the shaft has a carbon fiber rod up the center of the shaft. I guess carbon fiber is lighter than maple. LOL

Anyway, if you like a 12.75mm shaft, and you like the way McDermott's normal shafts (13mm) play, then you will probably adjust to the I-2 quite nicely. I will put it like this though, if you like a really stiff hitting cue like a schon, or joss or something of that nature it will be a lot harder to adjust.

I have always liked McDermott for the feel, so it was very easy to adjust to this series of shafts. I don't like one thing about them though. I don't like the moori tips.

For years I shot with the regular triangle tips that came with McDermott, and I had no problems with them except that I wore them out quickly. I then went to the sniper tips, and what a difference. I love the sniper tips.

So when I got this shaft I gave the tip a fair try, and trust me when the tip is ready to be replaced it will have a sniper on it. I am sold on the sniper tips.

Another side note. These shafts have a really short ferral on them, and it takes some getting used to that. I have to watch how I chalk the cue in order to not get chaulk all over the wood. LOL Oh well, I love the shaft so it is a small thing to worry about.

Irish634
07-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Thank you Ernie T and Txplshrk....

I had already ordered it prior to reading your replies, but from the research I did before ordering and now the feedback you have provided, I am sure I made the right choice. Other than having a cue custom made (which I cannot afford right now, but I am saving my pennies) I think I made the right choice for me. I will post my thoughts on the shaft when I get it and play a while.

Thank you again for your inputs. It is greatly appreciated.

Craig