PDA

View Full Version : playing on my table me my game bad??

seanjonsean
07-04-2006, 09:29 AM
happy 4rth all .is playing on my table an 8 ft amf making my game weak , ive heard some say that i get accustomed to my table and when i go to play on others i get out of tune ,the only thing i notice im very comfy at home no distractions and i get all the playing time i want , although i hate to do cuz i kno its hard on the table if u dont kno what ure doing is jump shot and masse. i try to respect my table and any other table for that matter ,i hate to see other peop mistreat or use it as beer holders in the pockets...

ShootingArts
07-04-2006, 09:53 AM
You have to play on other tables enough to be able to quickly adapt too but I think having almost any table at home helps your game. Buy quality balls if you don't have them already and get to practicing!

Hu

happy 4rth all .is playing on my table an 8 ft amf making my game weak , ive heard some say that i get accustomed to my table and when i go to play on others i get out of tune ,the only thing i notice im very comfy at home no distractions and i get all the playing time i want , although i hate to do cuz i kno its hard on the table if u dont kno what ure doing is jump shot and masse. i try to respect my table and any other table for that matter ,i hate to see other peop mistreat or use it as beer holders in the pockets...

DaveK
07-04-2006, 10:03 AM
I have a low-end 8' Brunswick with large pockets in my basement. It is not even close to level anymore due to the floor heaving a bit. It is a it slow like many bar tables. In league I play on level 9' tables with tight pockets and fast cloth. It takes adjustment, but then tables play differently and it is important to be able to play under different conditions. Just understand the differences between your table and the table you are playing. When I go to the pool hall I need to make the following adjustments/tests :

- don't cheat the pocket
- watch the speed for the first while (I 'tune in' after a game or twelve)
- check the banks, how short are they and how much can they be shortened further by a hard stroke
- check the 3-rail kick to see how short the rails play in concert
- shoot some long slow shots to see if there are any rolls
- shoot some stop shots to see if the cue ball the same weight as the object balls (actually I do this first, not last)

It is difficult to do this at a bar table, but pay attention to these details as you play, then make the adjustments.

I've learned a lot on my crappy little table. It also gives me opportunity to practice whenever and whatever I want (OK, may times it's whenever the wife allows, but I digress). Just don't assume other tables play the same and you'll be fine, your table will help your game. That is my experience. I am a mayB player around here.

Dave

seanjonsean
07-04-2006, 01:38 PM
ure right on dave ,evry table is diff ,and yes i do a test run on other tables to get the feel ,sometimes well get lucky and go to decent places. ive played on some nice very nice gandy tables and some very bad ones but its how u maintain them dead rails dirty cloth u name it ,but as far as being able to practice a few key shots at home i think its a must having a table at home.sorry bout title a little bckawards lol

RiverCity
07-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Its kinda like the old idea of having a practice table at home set up tight (assuming you arent just having it for recreational play with friends and neighbors). Then when you go to most other places the tables will feel looser to you. I had a buddy with a gc2 in his basement shimmed to about 3.5-4" (never measured) that was hard as hell to pocket balls on. But when we would go out to play, he would string racks together like nobodys business.
If the table you have at home is tough, embrace it and set your mind to conquering the table. You will reap the rewards when its time to go play on public tables.
Chuck