PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical question...

vagabond
07-04-2006, 07:51 PM
If a world famous pool player wants to sell the pool table he/she practiced ,will u buy it for the price he/she paid or less because it was used or more than he/she paid to buy it?:cool:

cubswin
07-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Depends I think. Currently Allison Fishers table is on ebay, starting bid is 8k. Seems like they are asking a lot for that table. Table is only a few months old. Why pay twice as much because she had it for a few months?

Now if you said you had Willie Mosconi's personal table that he played on for 20 years, along with other legends or friends that were stars down in his basement,
I would think it would be worth a good deal more than the same table without the name attached.

vagabond
07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Depends I think. Currently Allison Fishers table is on ebay, starting bid is 8k. Seems like they are asking a lot for that table. Table is only a few months old. Why pay twice as much because she had it for a few months?

Now if you said you had Willie Mosconi's personal table that he played on for 20 years, along with other legends or friends that were stars down in his basement,
I would think it would be worth a good deal more than the same table without the name attached.

you are saying that you will consider paying more.

JoeyInCali
07-04-2006, 08:50 PM
If the table was used for an event, maybe.
Practice table? No, since the player would have so many practice tables.

Timberly
07-04-2006, 08:50 PM
I would pay market value. I used to play in the same pool room on the same tables that Cliff Joyner, Tony Ellin, Shannon Daulton, Tony Watson, Stevie Moore, and a slew of other players that came through town to play them on.... a table is a table... I didn't play any better or any worse because these guys played on it. IMO, the table is worth market value.

That's just my opinion... something is really only worth whatever one is willing to pay for it. ;) There is quite possibly a fan out there that would be willing to pay more to own the very pool table that their favorite player owned... I'm just not one of those people. :)

Nostroke
07-05-2006, 12:19 AM
I would pay market value. I used to play in the same pool room on the same tables that Cliff Joyner, Tony Ellin, Shannon Daulton, Tony Watson, Stevie Moore, and a slew of other players that came through town to play them on.... a table is a table... I didn't play any better or any worse because these guys played on it. IMO, the table is worth market value.

That's just my opinion... something is really only worth whatever one is willing to pay for it. ;) There is quite possibly a fan out there that would be willing to pay more to own the very pool table that their favorite player owned... I'm just not one of those people. :)

Im pretty much with you on that though if a table had a real good story behind it- e.g. a famous match-up, i might pay a very slight premium due to its conversational value.

bruin70
07-05-2006, 03:08 AM
i would pay what they paid because chances are they got the table for free, or at least a major discount.

fisher's table for 8k???...she's probably making at least 6k off the deal.

chefjeff
07-05-2006, 05:35 AM
i would pay what they paid because chances are they got the table for free, or at least a major discount.

fisher's table for 8k???...she's probably making at least 6k off the deal.

Gee, maybe the state of Florida should call that "gouging" make that sale illegal.:rolleyes:

If you can authenticate that a pro owned it, it probably would fetch more money, imho....but not from me!;)

Jeff Livingston

ironman
07-05-2006, 06:26 AM
If a world famous pool player wants to sell the pool table he/she practiced ,will u buy it for the price he/she paid or less because it was used or more than he/she paid to buy it?:cool:

Nope, I wouldn't, but that is just me.
I would be a lot more concerned about who is going to move it a nd reset the table.

Tennesseejoe
07-05-2006, 07:35 AM
I would be willing to pay more especially if it was a very good table. I upgraded several time to better pool tables ( always antiques). When selling the old table the buyers always asked where I got the table. My standard answer was "My grand dad got it out of and old whore house in Covington, Ky. This table could tell many stories." If the guys wife wasn't with him, he always bought it. I guess the stories came with the table.

NineBallNut
07-05-2006, 09:21 AM
I would pay market value. The only reason I would pay a little more was if the table was altered professionally for playability. In other words, if the pockets had been tightened or better rubber put on. I don't really see what the big deal is about it being a table that a pro shot on.

DaveK
07-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Gee, maybe the state of Florida should call that "gouging" make that sale illegal.:rolleyes:

People in Florida are using pool tables to secure their houses prior to a hurricane ? Wow, sounds like a cool place :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dave, who has enjoyed a few evenings in Sloppy Joes, thankfully they had the doors wide open and no pool tables covering them.

ScottW
07-05-2006, 09:23 AM
At a pool shop not too far from me (Showcase Billiards in CO), they have an old table (I forget what make/model... looks like a Gold Crown if I recall right) that apparently was used in "The Color of Money". I think the last price set out on it was around $35k.

I've heard that every time someone comes around and is semi-serious about buying it, the shop owner waffles and refuses to sell, then ups the price. I think it's gone up about $10k since the first time I walked into the place. Apparently he's very attached to that table. :P

Incidentally it's the only table in the place that doesn't have ANOTHER table sitting on top of it - it's the table everyone uses to demo cues/etc. It shoots just fine. :P

ShootingArts
07-05-2006, 10:26 AM
I'll pay market value and try for less knowing that the pro probably paid a lot less, if anything. I'm not buying a pool table to hang on the wall and unless the player becomes a household name outside of the pool world it has little or no extra investment value.

I once had the two-millionth Vega(car) ever made. It had a few special things on it to make it unique and was identified as the two-millionth made. Like most Vega's it was a POS and didn't bring me much money when I crushed it.

Hu

Mike Templeton
07-05-2006, 10:44 AM
I think I would pay some more, according to the history. I see often that cues are sold because of who the previous owners were, or for whom they were made. I don't see why a table would be any different.

But as TImberly and others stated, one can usually tell by what the market will bear. If there are those who will pay more, they will make themselves known.

Mike

vagabond
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks y`all for your responses to my survey.

jcrack_corn
07-05-2006, 03:40 PM
i would pay a premium for the archer-busta table

cueandcushion
07-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I would pay a lot to get Jackie Gleason's personal pool table. It is the one he was on during the 60 minutes interview. He was a huge fan of pool and played most of his life. Played pretty good if I remember. As for pro pool players...I would pay to get a "personal" table they had at home, if I respected the player. Efren, Nick Varner, Mosconi, Sang Lee's( 3 Cushion table?), Buddy Hall to just name a few. Just my $.02. :)

Barbara
07-05-2006, 04:21 PM

Vagabond,

If Allison only played on it for a few months, then maybe the buyer should ask for her to autograph a few rails and sign a COA that she owned it. If she doesn't, then it appears that she's just looking to supplement her income.

Barbara

Barbara
07-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I would pay a lot to get Jackie Gleason's personal pool table. It is the one he was on during the 60 minutes interview. He was a huge fan of pool and played most of his life. Played pretty good if I remember. As for pro pool players...I would pay to get a "personal" table they had at home, if I respected the player. Efren, Nick Varner, Mosconi, Sang Lee's( 3 Cushion table?), Buddy Hall to just name a few. Just my $.02. :)

I was fortunate enough to buy Jimmy Caras' table before he moved down to FLA to live with one of his daughters. And he was happy to sell it to me because he knew he wouldn't be seeing it on eBay two days later.

It's a keeper.

Barbara

Schmohawk
07-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Vagabond,

If Allison only played on it for a few months, then maybe the buyer should ask for her to autograph a few rails and sign a COA that she owned it. If she doesn't, then it appears that she's just looking to supplement her income.

Barbara

I am having trouble reading you on this.

juegabillar
07-05-2006, 04:41 PM
At a pool shop not too far from me (Showcase Billiards in CO), they have an old table (I forget what make/model... looks like a Gold Crown if I recall right) that apparently was used in "The Color of Money". I think the last price set out on it was around $35k.

It's a Murrey Table...

Barbara
07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
I am having trouble reading you on this.

What are you having trouble with? What don't you understand about making a profit off a name? So she only had the table for a few months and asks for a price well above the retail price for the table. Someone will buy it.

If I was interested in it, I would have to ask for some documentation to go with it to justify the price I paid for it if I decided to sell it off in the future.

Barbara

George
07-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't pay extra...........I bought my GCIII right off the floor of The R.I. Billiards club. I paid $2500 delivered and installed w/new simonis and new Centennials.
It was table #12 and I know for a fact this table was played on by many many pro's. I even remember seeing Larry Lisciotti play Santos a few $1000 sets on it. I know it doesn't increase the value but I like knowing that many champions have played on my table:cool: :D

George

Timberly
07-05-2006, 05:53 PM
I once had the two-millionth Vega(car) ever made. It had a few special things on it to make it unique and was identified as the two-millionth made. Like most Vega's it was a POS and didn't bring me much money when I crushed it.

Hu
Best laugh I've had all day... had tears well up from cracking up laughing. Thanks! :D

Steve - Detroit
07-05-2006, 06:33 PM
I wouldn’t pay any more than market value. It wouldn’t matter if some famous pro owned it, played on it or was conceived on it, it’s still just a pool table. I understand there is a certain pride of ownership factor but like Tennesseejoe’s story, how do you know what’s true and what isn’t, and even if you do, the next owner doesn’t. It’s not like an expensive cue where a knowledgeable eye can see and appreciate the craftsmanship.

Jedi V Man
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
I sold a few Gold Crowns on here last year that were all played on by Harry "Poochie" Sexton, Cornbread Red, Ronnie Wiseman, Richey Rich, Brandon Ashcroft, Phile Wines and Mark Hostler along with some of the best road players in the country....

I shoulda charged extra for em, huh.......

chefjeff
07-06-2006, 05:57 AM
I sold a few Gold Crowns on here last year that were all played on by Harry "Poochie" Sexton, Cornbread Red, Ronnie Wiseman, Richey Rich, Brandon Ashcroft, Phile Wines and Mark Hostler along with some of the best road players in the country....

I shoulda charged extra for em, huh.......

You could've ASKED extra...whether or not you got it would be up to the buyers.

Jeff Livingston

Williebetmore
07-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Im pretty much with you on that though if a table had a real good story behind it- e.g. a famous match-up, i might pay a very slight premium due to its conversational value.

Nostroke,
Hey, how about just buying a regular table, then paying me the extra to invent a good story to go along with it (I'll provide the COA and any "witnesses" needed to verify).

Think how great it will be to have the table where Nostroke trounced Earl Strickland.

P.S. - Vagabond, I wouldn't pay any extra for any table.

Schmohawk
07-06-2006, 09:29 AM
What are you having trouble with? What don't you understand about making a profit off a name? So she only had the table for a few months and asks for a price well above the retail price for the table. Someone will buy it.

Barbara

I understand making money off your name however you said if Allison DOESN"T sign it she is just looking to supplement her income. That is what I dont capece.

supergreenman
07-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Seems to me if it was a pros practice table then it would be very WELL used. I'd ask for a discount.:p

Barbara
07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
I understand making money off your name however you said if Allison DOESN"T sign it she is just looking to supplement her income. That is what I dont capece.

Duh! Now I get it! Yeah, that didn't make too much sense, either.:o

Barbara

Nostroke
07-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Nostroke,
Hey, how about just buying a regular table, then paying me the extra to invent a good story to go along with it (I'll provide the COA and any "witnesses" needed to verify).

Think how great it will be to have the table where Nostroke trounced Earl Strickland.

P.S. - Vagabond, I wouldn't pay any extra for any table.

Would it definitely be a Nostroke story or could it be a Williebetmore/Efren story? I just want to make sure before i Commit.:)

Williebetmore
07-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Would it definitely be a Nostroke story or could it be a Williebetmore/Efren story? I just want to make sure before i Commit.:)

Nostroke,
Well, an Efren/WBM story will definitely cost you more; but worth every penny (as well as being more believeable to people who are heavily sedated).