PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing Cueball.... Different Aimiing???

enzo
07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
ok, i have a question i've been asking myself for a while, and i have answered both ways at one point or another. i really can't definitively figure it out so i thought i'd post it....

when the cueball leaves the surface of the table, does that NECESSARILY change the contact point on the object ball? in other words, can you aim a jump shot at the exact same spot as if you were shooting with a level cue assuming the cueball will be in the air slightly when the two balls make contact.

lets try to limit the discussion to jumping cueballs that are not too high, we all know if the cb jumps over the first half of the ob that the contact point will change.

let me just state, at first you may feel it does change the contact point just by inituition, but if you start to think more about it you may find that it does not change the theoretical contact point. im not saying i believe one way or the other, im just saying that perhaps a little thought is required to figure it out.

Thanks!

you can only edit the text within the thread?? i wanted to take another shot at spelling "aiming" right in the title and it wont let me. let me know if there is a way :)

sixpack
07-05-2006, 04:59 PM
ok, i have a question i've been asking myself for a while, and i have answered both ways at one point or another. i really can't definitively figure it out so i thought i'd post it....

when the cueball leaves the surface of the table, does that NECESSARILY change the contact point on the object ball? in other words, can you aim a jump shot at the exact same spot as if you were shooting with a level cue assuming the cueball will be in the air slightly when the two balls make contact.

lets try to limit the discussion to jumping cueballs that are not too high, we all know if the cb jumps over the first half of the ob that the contact point will change.

let me just state, at first you may feel it does change the contact point just by inituition, but if you start to think more about it you may find that it does not change the theoretical contact point. im not saying i believe one way or the other, im just saying that perhaps a little thought is required to figure it out.

Thanks!

Only if they are straight in. If the CB is in the air, it will overcut the OB if there is an angle.

Cheers,
RC