PDA

View Full Version : Info. Hurricane cues

help
07-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Hello. as you all must relies I'm new here. Hoping someone can help me with information about Hurricane cues..I have searched the web and can't find anything.. I have bought a J/B cue by James Spach. I looked for information before I bought it, found nothing, this is about my last hope.. I would truly appreciate any and all information anyone may have.. thank You

Mike Templeton
07-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Hello. as you all must relies I'm new here. Hoping someone can help me with information about Hurricane cues..I have searched the web and can't find anything.. I have bought a J/B cue by James Spach. I looked for information before I bought it, found nothing, this is about my last hope.. I would truly appreciate any and all information anyone may have.. thank You
Hurricane Cues are located in Mount Pleasant, SC, and James "Whitey" Spach is the cue builder. Whitey retired from full time cue making a couple of years ago to deep sea fish and play golf. The last time I talked to him, he was having a few health problems as well, and was just working part time building cues. He had a gentleman named Ben Cooper that worked with him for many years. I played with a Hurricane for about 6 or 7 years in the mid 90s, and even sold cues for Whitey for a good while. The cues play very well. He uses a 5/16-14 flat-faced joint. The cues are reasonably priced for the work involved, and his jump/breaks have the reputation of being excellent. Many people around SC, NC, and Ga still use jump/breaks they bought from Whitey many years ago. I saw a gentleman at the pool room last weekend using a 4 point Hurricane playing cue. I asked him about it, and he said that he had owned the cue for years, and still loved it. I still have a fancy sneakty pete that Whitey made for me in 1998 that is very special.

I have Whitey's home phone #. PM me, and I'll give it to you. I'm sure he won't mind. He is also listed in at least one edition of the Blue Book, I think the 1st Edition, but that probably had his shop phone #.

I saw the cue on Ebay, and almost bid on it. I'm sure you will enjoy the cue, and I know that it will do a bang-up job.

Mike

help
07-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Mike, thanks for the info. I totally appreciate it.. I may look to get the phone No.for Mr. Spach later.. As for now there's no reason to bother him. I haven't received the cue yet, hope all goes well with that. I don't know if the guy is going to take paypal, he may want me to send him a certified check. A little scary sending out 300.00 on faith that he will come thru. I was trying to bid on the Gilbert that was up on ebay last week, but my computer would not cooperate. I've heard great things about Gilbert J/B cues. The Hurricane seems like a fair price for what it is and if it's as the guy says; And besides it matches my playing cue. lol lol Again thank You. Take care..