PDA

View Full Version : Practicing One Pocket

Cameron Smith
07-06-2006, 10:02 AM
How do I practice 1p on my own? Do rack up and just continually play safe against myself?

Lately I have been breaking semi hard than trying to run 8 and out. Its done wonders for my position play, but running balls is only half the game.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PoolSharkAllen
07-06-2006, 10:11 AM
How do I practice 1p on my own? Do rack up and just continually play safe against myself?

Lately I have been breaking semi hard than trying to run 8 and out. Its done wonders for my position play, but running balls is only half the game.

Cameron: What is the semi-hard break shot that increases your chances of running 8 and out? :)

nfty9er
07-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Cameron: What is the semi-hard break shot that increases your chances of running 8 and out? :)

Maybe the balls are spread out more? duh.

vagabond
07-06-2006, 12:49 PM

There several ways.One of the things I like is to practice with only a single ball. Park that ball on the middle diamond on short rail of one end and keep the cue ball on the middle diamond of the short rail on the opposite end of the table.Then try to pocket the ball .You will play for youself and also the opponent.Try the opening shot with a kick on the side rail.

RiverCity
07-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Also think about and practice opening clusters and herding balls towards your pocket. Sometimes this can be tied to a safety, sometimes as an intentional foul. As far as practicing safes, a good stratagy is to leave the cue ball on the foot rail away from the action, so another realm of safety shots is to move balls away from your opponents pocket and get the cueball down table and try to freeze it on the rail.
There is a neverending list of things to think about and practice, set up the rack and do a safety break, then think about how to get out of it. You can also think about the end of the game situations where there is only 1 or 2 balls on the table, and how to shoot it/them to get the best chance of winning.
Grady has about the best instruction on end game situations I have ever seen, look for his 1 pocket tapes.... you wont be sorry.
Chuck

longhair
07-06-2006, 05:25 PM
There several ways.One of the things I like is to practice with only a single ball. Park that ball on the middle diamond on short rail of one end and keep the cue ball on the middle diamond of the short rail on the opposite end of the table.Then try to pocket the ball .You will play for youself and also the opponent.Try the opening shot with a kick on the side rail.
We play this game around here sometimes when three or more people want to play "king of the hill" onepocket without waiting forever to play again.

Craig Fales
07-06-2006, 06:25 PM
I practice the break alot....and working the rack open...popping a bank out of the pack if possible...I never practice safeties....1 & 2 long rail banks are a must practice item....
________

Cameron Smith
07-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the advise guys, I'll be going to the pool hall tomorrow so I intend to devote about an hour or so to 1p. I'm also getting into bank pool too.

Cameron Smith
07-06-2006, 06:31 PM

lol, its just to spread the balls around over one half of the table. Unfortunately I can't consistently make a ball into my pocket so it doesn't work in a match format. But if I figure out away to do that I'll let everyone know about it. :)