PDA

View Full Version : 'Gettin Lucky'

Danny Harriman
07-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I just thought I would tell a quick story about a certain match against Mr. Sigel, I was recently competing in the World 14.1 Championship's and drew the infamous Mike Sigel. Well to make a long story short Mike only missed one ball and it was my day to win, after the match he shook my hand and turned to someone in the crowd and said " that guy is the luckiest Moth#r fu&%$ in the world" I must say this was the sweetest victory for me in a long time. I usually do not get so ecstatic about winning one particular match, he also forgot a specific rule when I asked him whether thecue ball in the rack got spotted and if so where. He told me that the ball was just re-racked with the other 14 ball's (like an opening break shot,) to my advantage Bobby Hunter who was playing on the table next to our's, intervened and helped Mike remember the correct rule. That the cueball gets spotted on the foot spot and if the remaining object ball is in the kitchen, you can shoot "backwards" (towards the kitchen if you will). Which made a huge difference in our match as it allowed me to continue the run and in my humble opinion no one gets lucky in a race to 150 points. Thanks to Blackjack I did get an invite and the chance to prove that I belong competing against the best players in the world. I would like to apologize for my boastful dity about beating the inaugural "King of the Hill" I just had to get this one off my chest.

BigCat
07-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Don't apologize. You have every right to feel the way you do. I for one am glad you beat the former "king of the hill" (which I think most believe he really wasn't). Enjoy your victory, as I'm sure you deserved it.

As for Mr. Sigel's comments, take them with a grain of salt. If it makes him feel better to complain to a random audience member about how "unlucky" he was or how "lucky" you were, then that means you got to him. Rejoice in that fact. On that day, during that match, you were better than he was. There is no luck factor in straight pool as there is in 9-ball over long races. He just needs an excuse for losing, and he found one. As was mentioned in another recent thread that quoted some passages from "The Hustler", some people are just good at using excuses for losing.

Congratulations on your stellar performance at the 14.1 world. Best of luck.

unknownpro
07-06-2006, 04:44 PM
I just thought I would tell a quick story about a certain match against Mr. Sigel, I was recently competing in the World 14.1 Championship's and drew the infamous Mike Sigel. Well to make a long story short Mike only missed one ball and it was my day to win, after the match he shook my hand and turned to someone in the crowd and said " that guy is the luckiest Moth#r fu&%$ in the world" I must say this was the sweetest victory for me in a long time. I usually do not get so ecstatic about winning one particular match, he also forgot a specific rule when I asked him whether the ball in the rack got spotted and if so where. He told me that the ball was just re-racked with the other 14 ball's (like an opening break shot,) to my advantage Bobby Hunter who was playing on the table next to our's, intervened and helped Mike remember the correct rule. Which made a huge difference in our match as it allowed me to continue the run and in my humble opinion no one gets lucky in a race to 150 points. Thanks to Blackjack I did get an invite and the chance to prove that I belong competing against the best players in the world. I would like to apologize for my boastful dity about beating the inaugural "King of the Hill" I just had to get this one off my chest.

Hi Danny, haven't seen you in a while. Good shooting, screw Mike. He bet on me playing Tony Ellin but I'm not good enough for the IPT, lol! You can tell a lot about these Aholes when you beat them. You've always been a good sport, winning or losing, as well as being one of the toughest guys out there. Keep strokin'.

unknownpro

Scott Lee
07-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Amen Danny! Hope you get into the IPT tournaments too! You suppose Sigel will say, "Efren is the luckiest motherf*cker in the world", after he gets smoked this Sunday, in the KOTH finals, on tv? LOL:rolleyes: :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Hal2
07-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Danny,
I enjoyed reading about your 14.1 experience with Mike Sigel. I am sure he was trying to "real-lies" to himself and others his excuse for loosing to you.
Are you going to be in Indiana or Ohio in the future? I would be interested in taking a lesson or two from you.
Regards,
Hal

JAM
07-06-2006, 05:06 PM
I just thought I would tell a quick story about a certain match against Mr. Sigel, I was recently competing in the World 14.1 Championship's and drew the infamous Mike Sigel. Well to make a long story short Mike only missed one ball and it was my day to win, after the match he shook my hand and turned to someone in the crowd and said " that guy is the luckiest Moth#r fu&%$ in the world" I must say this was the sweetest victory for me in a long time. I usually do not get so ecstatic about winning one particular match, he also forgot a specific rule when I asked him whether the ball in the rack got spotted and if so where. He told me that the ball was just re-racked with the other 14 ball's (like an opening break shot,) to my advantage Bobby Hunter who was playing on the table next to our's, intervened and helped Mike remember the correct rule. Which made a huge difference in our match as it allowed me to continue the run and in my humble opinion no one gets lucky in a race to 150 points. Thanks to Blackjack I did get an invite and the chance to prove that I belong competing against the best players in the world. I would like to apologize for my boastful dity about beating the inaugural "King of the Hill" I just had to get this one off my chest.

Good for Bobby Hunter, great win for you, Danny. :)

I like your avatar and tag line. There seems to be a tournament every week in recent times, which is nice for pool players in the year 2006. :cool:

BTW, the Danny Harriman moment I will always remember was you making 6 balls on the break in 7-ball on TV. :D

JAM

karambolista
07-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Good job Mr. Harriman!!

Luck or no luck you deserve to win, like you said it's a race to 150.

So, what was the correct rule?

GADawg
07-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Good job Mr. Harriman!!

Luck or no luck you deserve to win, like you said it's a race to 150.

So, what was the correct rule?

Agree. Good Job.

15th ball in the rack goes on the head spot with cue ball in position. You really think Mike didn't know that, or just had a convenient lapse of memory?

I hadn't played 14.1 for 25 years until last month and I remembered that.

Cameron Smith
07-06-2006, 06:41 PM

Dude, when you beat a guy who was once considered one of the greatest ever, you have every right to shout it from the roof tops. Great win, congragulations.

Timberly
07-06-2006, 07:29 PM
I would like to apologize for my boastful dity about beating the inaugural "King of the Hill" I just had to get this one off my chest.
Danny my friend, you've earned your bragging rights, no need to apologize. If anything, apologize for always being so apologetic. ;)

BTW, the Danny Harriman moment I will always remember was you making 6 balls on the break in 7-ball on TV. :D

JAM
My fav Danny moment (aside from meeting him of course) was after Danny had just finished beating Fountain Inn Red for an undisclosed sum of money back when he was a mere 18 yrs old.... I was sitting in the far corner of the pool room watching them play at Cue Time in Mauldin, SC when Jimmy Hodges still owned the place... I was on a stool with my legs resting upon another stool. After Danny won the set he came over & mentioned that it was a good thing that I hadn't moved....As most of us do when we're down on a shot, Danny had used a reference point... it just so happened that when Danny was down on a ball facing my direction, he used my leg (did I mention I was tan & skinny back then?? :p ) as a sight point. LOL, I don't know why but that memory has always stuck with me and everytime I'm remotely close to being in a players line of sight I'm reminded of it. (LOL, I can even tell you what I was wearing that day!) ;)

satman
07-06-2006, 07:53 PM
First off Danny, You have every right to tell this story. You are one of the great players in this sport and showed a great attitude at every event I ever seen you play.
Second ---- There have been very few players over the years who have rubbed me in the wrong direction enough to hold a grudge. Mike is one of them. Although he's still a great player, I don't like his attitude any more now, than I did in 1985 when we argued about my right to play in an OPEN tourney against some of the best players in the world.
It is a pleasure to have you posting here. Sam

bells
07-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Your absoluely correct in saying there is no luck in a race to 150 in 14.1.Good for you, and great shooting. T he last time i saw you shoot was at the glass city when you took 2nd to johnny archer. If the situation with the rack was differently i think you probably would have won that tournament. In any case good shooting ..............

cueball1950
07-06-2006, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=BigCat]Don't apologize. You have every right to feel the way you do. I for one am glad you beat the current "king of the hill" (which I think most believe he really isn't).

Mike Sigel isn't the Current KOH... i Thought that Efren was after Efren beat him. Am i wrong..................mike

NaClBandit
07-06-2006, 09:04 PM
I always have trouble breaking the rack when the break ball is on the head spot.

Danny, can you describe (or depict (http://www.cuetable.com/P/index.html)) the shot you used or like to use?

Here's the one I usually try for. Scratching isn't uncommon if I can hit the rack with decent force.

Gregg
07-06-2006, 10:06 PM
I was hoping to see Sigel play, as I was a spectator in New Brunswick, NJ for the 14.1 Worlds... but he got knocked out of the 16 man bracket before I got there! Oops!

Nice shooting.

As far as luck goes, me making a three ball run is luck; Winning a race to 150 against one of the premier straight pool shooters (who went went undefeated in his bracket) is quite an accomplishment, and far from any type of luck I am familiar with.

ironman
07-06-2006, 11:33 PM

At least he didn't break a shaft this time.

Louis Ulrich
07-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Great job Danny! I don't think there is a better win to boast about these days then beating up on ol' Mike Beagle.

Good to see you back in action. :)

BigCat
07-07-2006, 02:06 AM
[QUOTE=BigCat]Don't apologize. You have every right to feel the way you do. I for one am glad you beat the current "king of the hill" (which I think most believe he really isn't).

Mike Sigel isn't the Current KOH... i Thought that Efren was after Efren beat him. Am i wrong..................mike

My apologies... I mispoke (or mistyped). Edit to say former "king of the hill". Which he still really never was.

Rich R.
07-07-2006, 03:32 AM
in my humble opinion no one gets lucky in a race to 150 points.

You got that right!!!!!

Great job Danny and please, don't be so humble, about any match with Mike the Mouth. I hope you have the same "good luck" every time you play him.

Rich R.
07-07-2006, 03:34 AM
he used my leg as a sight point.

That's his story and he is sticking to it. :D

jjinfla
07-07-2006, 03:43 AM
What's the big deal Danny? You beat a washed up old hasbeen ready for the rocking chair and his retirement check. Isn't that the way everyone now thinks of Mike Sigel.

If it was me and I beat Mike Sigel, which will never happen. I would just gloat and say I "got Lucky" and beat the greatest player in the whole wide world. Even Reyes keeps saying he "got lucky" when he wins.

Oh well, I guess you just prefer to think of your win as nothing spectacular.

Over the years I have noticed that pool players are not good losers. How many times have I seen a player lose to a so called inferior player and it just is not in him to say the player was better than him on that night. they all come up with an excuse for losing.

Anyway, have a good day, and I prefer to think that you beat a very good player. One of the best in his day. But that was 30 years ago. How well will you be shooting 30 years from now?

Jake

dmgwalsh
07-07-2006, 03:46 AM
At least he didn't break a shaft this time.

Who can forget the class way he reacted to being whupped by John Schmidt, who apparently does know a little bit about 14.1!!

Icon of Sin
07-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Congrats man, not a bit of luck involved. Took down 1 of the former greats. If you were to play him again, my money is on you still!!!!

ScottR
07-07-2006, 04:51 AM
.......Danny had used a reference point... it just so happened that when Danny was down on a ball facing my direction, he used my leg (did I mention I was tan & skinny back then?? :p ) as a sight point. LOL, I don't know why but that memory has always stuck with me and everytime I'm remotely close to being in a players line of sight I'm reminded of it. (LOL, I can even tell you what I was wearing that day!) ;)
Shades of Sharon Stone?!?!?!? :eek: :D

ironman
07-07-2006, 05:12 AM
Who can forget the class way he reacted to being whupped by John Schmidt, who apparently does know a little bit about 14.1!!

Seems a little ironic that Bobby Hunter tutored John Scmidt quite a bit.

Mike Templeton
07-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Hey Scott,

I was there for that match at Cue Time as well. It was in the early '90s. Danny stayed at my apartment for a couple of days that trip as a guest of my roommate who steered him around Greenville some. I think it was his first trip to Greenville. I met Danny, but didn't get a chance to talk to him much or watch him play that often. I happened to be "in love" at the time and I was up a young ladies skirttail (figuratively, of course) most of the time that he was there. Timberly didn't mention that she was also a teenager then, and most gentlemen in the poolrooms took glances at her long, slender legs whenever the opportunity arose :D .

Those were great days around Greenville. I owned a poolroom in town at the time, and I'll never forget the first time I met Timberly. She was about 17 or 18, and I ran into her at the local Bi-Lo (I think) where she was a cashier. I had seen her at the poolrooms, and invited her to come and practice at my place. She had a little gold colored Camry and did have cute, long legs. But that's another story. I'd also like to say that things have not been the same around Greenville since Fountain Inn Red died. I miss him. He was a local legend, and one of the biggest influences on me as a player. That's also another story, too, and I don't want to hijack the thread.

I'd also like to congratulate Danny on this nice win. Even with all of Sigel's antics and disrespect, he is still one of the top 14:1 players in the world. As Danny stated, Mike only missed one ball, so it had to take a world-class effort for Danny to come out on top....Great win, Danny!

Mike

StevenPWaldon
07-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Hey Danny-

I was watching when you beat Sigel, and BOY I'm glad you beat him (with a free bank he left.... so stupid of him, honestly).

The worst thing is that for the next ten minutes after the match he was going off on how you "dogged the break shot" when you only needed 1 or 2. He was of course referring to your last break where you didn't come hard into the pack and was left without an out needing only a ball. The safety battled commenced, and Sigel frees up a bank in the side (I think it was the 15-ball) and you nailed it, jumped in the air and smiled.

Meanwhile Sigel kept badmouthing you to everyone he made eye contact with outside the tournament room. "Only against me can a guy dog his last break ball and STILL win!"

I wanted to walk up to him and smack him around a big. "You idiot, do you recall you also left him a FREE shot when he needed only 1? Even had he missed the bank you were stuck behind the stack with nowhere to go. You lost that match because you were out played!"

I kept meaning to thank you the entire tournament for beating Sigel and sending him to the 1-loss side (where he was immediately ousted by Mika). I don't think I got around to it although I did meet you after the entire tournament was over and the bar was closing up (I'm the friend who was hanging around Max). Either way, glad you beat him!

NYC cue dude
07-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Your play during the match with sigel was only a portion of what you have to be proud of. You represented yourself well on and off the table the entire tournament. More guys should be as respectful of the game as you are.

As for mike, well..... he's mike. Nothing he said should be taken personal. Infact, I'm sure he would have said the same thing about every player in the tourney except his chronological peers (hopkins, varner etc.) It just goes to show you that you were playing on an elite level, and no one can take that away from you or diminish it.

thanks for "showing" up"

Randy Goldwater

Blackjack
07-07-2006, 07:42 AM

Danny, you have every reason in the world to be proud of your victory. A lot of hard work went in to getting you there - I would like to thank your Dad, Charlie Williams, Randy, and especially Scott - btw - next year Scott and I have to go to the event. We were sweating your matches over the phone and waiting for you to call us. We must have sounded like like two expectant fathers pacing the floor outside the delivery room.

Despite the all the issues surrounding your inclusion, you stood tall and delivered and represented yourself like the champion that you are. How many guys can still win even when the pool Gods decide to start a rain shower over their table? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40bCKvII8WU&search=14.1%20world%20championships) You da man, Danny!

pharaoh68
07-07-2006, 08:03 AM

Danny-
You should never apologize for being proud of your own accomplishments. Self-pride is a good thing provided that it not be over the top and it is far from over the top here. You belonged there without any shadow of a doubt and it was just a shame that you were not originally invited (especially seeing as how you deserved to be there more than some others who were on the list from day one). As far as boasting that you beat Mike Sigel, do NOT apologize for that either. Mike is by far the ost arrogant individual around and it would be hard to look cocky in any story involving him, especially when the story showcases his poor sportsmanship.

Again, congrats on the win and the terrific play in the tournament. And never be afraid to be confident and proud (provided it be in moderation :D )!

Snapshot9
07-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Congrats on what must have been a hard fought match. It is good to see you competing, and I know you will get your share of wins. Best of luck.

Timberly
07-07-2006, 10:17 AM
LOL, I should've known better...all u perverts out there! :rolleyes: They were white capri pants. ;)

Hey Scott,

I was there for that match at Cue Time as well. It was in the early '90s. Danny stayed at my apartment for a couple of days that trip as a guest of my roommate who steered him around Greenville some. I think it was his first trip to Greenville. Yep, Danny's first time in Greenville.I met Danny, but didn't get a chance to talk to him much or watch him play that often. I happened to be "in love" at the time and I was up a young ladies skirttail (figuratively, of course) most of the time that he was there. Timberly didn't mention that she was also a teenager then, Danny & I both were 18 if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure he's the same age as I am.and most gentlemen in the poolrooms took glances at her long, slender legs whenever the opportunity arose :D .

Those were great days around Greenville. I owned a poolroom in town at the time, and I'll never forget the first time I met Timberly. She was about 17 or 18, and I ran into her at the local Bi-Lo (I think) where she was a cashier.Man, what a LONG time ago!! It was indeed a Bi-Lo. I also met Willie Munson there. During the pro tourney at the Shriners Club on Rutherford Rd he stopped in the store... I didn't know who he was at the time but he had seen me at the tourney the day before and when he saw me, he came through my line. He was very polite and asked if I was going to the tourney after work. (of course I was) He introduced himself & then left. I didn't see him again (that was the summer of '90 or 91) until Vegas last May. He hasn't changed much... still looks the same & still has the same big smile. I had seen her at the poolrooms, and invited her to come and practice at my place. You had a barbox towards the front with blue felt.... I had never seen blue cloth before... it was also smaller than a normal barbox IIRC. Strip mall in Powdersville... how many 9fts did you have there? I know you had mostly 9 fts & a few barboxes....She had a little gold colored Camry and did have cute, long legs. But that's another story. I'd also like to say that things have not been the same around Greenville since Fountain Inn Red died. I miss him. He was a local legend, and one of the biggest influences on me as a player. That's also another story, too, and I don't want to hijack the thread. Having Bob King around after Red died made it not so weird.... Now with both of them gone, it's just not the same. Red was truly a one of a kind. The pool scene just isn't the same around there anymore. :(

I'd also like to congratulate Danny on this nice win. Even with all of Sigel's antics and disrespect, he is still one of the top 14:1 players in the world. As Danny stated, Mike only missed one ball, so it had to take a world-class effort for Danny to come out on top....Great win, Danny!

Mike
Thanks for the memories Mike! I wonder if Danny remembers his stay in Greenville? I know we wanted to match him up with Stevie but Stevie was out of town at the time. It would've been fun... they were physically built about the same (skinny) played jam up pool and their playing styles were very similar... LOL, not much has changed. :p

Bob Jewett
07-07-2006, 10:20 AM
I always have trouble breaking the rack when the break ball is on the head spot....
I describe two methods in my July 2000 article at
http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/BD_articles.html
Diagram 2 is a little wrong in that the ball on the head spot is the 15th object ball and not the cue ball.

Irving Crane regularly played for the one-cushion break as noted. He played position on the shot by bringing the cue ball back to the center spot.

Bob Jewett
07-07-2006, 10:25 AM
15th ball in the rack goes on the head spot with cue ball in position. You really think Mike didn't know that, or just had a convenient lapse of memory?...
There are two exceptions to this. If the cue ball is also in the rack, all 15 rack and you have ball in hand in balk. If the cue ball is blocking a ball being spotted on the head spot, the 15th ball spots on the center spot.

A trivia question: Under what condition does the cue ball spot on the center spot?

bud green
07-07-2006, 10:38 AM
cue ball in rack, 15th ball on foot spot?

sniper
07-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Congratulations on your big win Danny, there is nothing more beautiful to pool fans right now than watching Mike get his a$$ kicked.

zeeder
07-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Congrats on the stellar play Danny!

My most favorite Danny moment was when I actually got to play him at a local pool hall when he was passing through...lol. He was nice enough to even let me win a set! :D :p

Nostroke
07-07-2006, 01:01 PM
You should have given him the old. "Damn right im lucky-lucky i was playing YOU! "

Bet he would love that.

Mike Templeton
07-07-2006, 01:51 PM
LOL, I should've known better...all u perverts out there! :rolleyes: They were white capri pants. ;)

Thanks for the memories Mike! I wonder if Danny remembers his stay in Greenville? I know we wanted to match him up with Stevie but Stevie was out of town at the time. It would've been fun... they were physically built about the same (skinny) played jam up pool and their playing styles were very similar... LOL, not much has changed. :p
Timberly,

The Shrine tournament was the summer of '91. It was the first pro tournament I ever played. We need to start an entire thread on that tournament. I remember Earl was World Champion, and wanted everyone know it. He had a red convertible Jaguar, and the tag read "WC9Ball". He parked it right in front of the door of the Shrine Club for all to see. That was the first tournament I remember where all of the Champions attended. Then they all met over at Cue Time afterwards. The Miz signed the shuffleboard in the sawdust, and Mataya pulled out $40,000 and laid it on the table when 2 pros were arguing. He said, "Would either of you like to play Yours Truly?" I also remember that there was gambling and a poker game in the basement of the Shrine Club, and it got busted by Greenville County Police. I played Parica and then Mike Massey. Being a green kid, of course I went 2 and out. They had a fancy program printed up and I remember that when I was leaving after my match with Massey, a lady asked me to sign her program. I was never so excited. Of course, she just wanted to get all of the participants to sign. In fact, I still have my program laying around somewhere. I even still have the T-shirt that they gave all of the participants.

The table up front in my place was a Murrey 7 foot, but made like a 9' commercial table. Most of the bar table gambling was done there. I worked 80+ hours a week there and made very little money, but it was probably the most enjoyable time of my life. I moved back to Powdersville from Chattanooga and live about a quarter mile from the strip mall. There is a clothes washing place there now.

You're right. Those are great memories.

Mike

JimmyB500
07-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I remember that tournament. I think Miz ended up winning it. Keith was there. He played Chilli. I remember Don from the Golden Cue playing a match with Earl. Bob King, I remember had a tournament match with Buddy, who was late showing up. They kept asking Bob do you want a forfeit win or are you willing to give Buddy more time to show. He kept saying naw, let's give him some more time. Great tournament. Wish it had continued. Hopkins, Varner, Cardone, Davenport, Parica, Lebron, Vickery, many many others showed up...................

Timberly
07-07-2006, 03:48 PM
That was my first time going to a pro tourney & I was in awe. That was back when once the tourney was over for the night, the majority of the players would head to the nearest pool room and all of 'em would gamble. That was the 1st time I met Shannon Daulton... he was right in the middle of it woofing & playing with the best. I remember he busted some guy (3 to 5 grand comes to mind). Shannon threw $200 on the table to the guy and said "here's a bus ride home". I don't recall who the guy was... That was also the 1st time I met CJ Wiley... LMAO, to this day some people still believe I moved to TX to be with him. :rolleyes: :D

What the heck ever happend to Chilli? He could always be found sitting along side the money table at Don's place.

JimmyB, do we know each other?

Mike, do you have a scanner? I would love to see the program... I don't remember ever seeing it. It's amazing how things change... one day you're shooting pool in a place & the next day someone is washing their clothes at the same place because it's now a laundry mat... kinda sucks. :-(

JoeyA
07-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Efren says he gets lucky almost every time he plays a match I think you were "Efren Lucky" against Mike.

Congratulations on your deserved win and proclomation. May you have many more deserved wins.
JoeyA

vagabond
07-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Timberly,

a lady asked me to sign her program. I was never so excited. Of course, she just wanted to get all of the participants to sign.

Mike

Are u implying that the lady is Timberly?:D

Timberly
07-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Twas not I

Timberly <--- never claimed to be a lady. Besides, I was just a kid back then... young, lived at home, no bills, played pool all the time, there seemed to be non-stop action back then, and I was skinny! (sigh) those were the good 'ol days! :p

vagabond
07-07-2006, 07:02 PM
What the heck ever happend to Chilli? He could always be found sitti(

Three years ago I ran into him in Bogarts on the Farm Road in Houston.Made a move on me.I declined to play him.

unknownpro
07-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Timberly,

The Shrine tournament was the summer of '91. It was the first pro tournament I ever played. We need to start an entire thread on that tournament. I remember Earl was World Champion, and wanted everyone know it. He had a red convertible Jaguar, and the tag read "WC9Ball". He parked it right in front of the door of the Shrine Club for all to see. That was the first tournament I remember where all of the Champions attended. Then they all met over at Cue Time afterwards. The Miz signed the shuffleboard in the sawdust, and Mataya pulled out $40,000 and laid it on the table when 2 pros were arguing. He said, "Would either of you like to play Yours Truly?" I also remember that there was gambling and a poker game in the basement of the Shrine Club, and it got busted by Greenville County Police. I played Parica and then Mike Massey. Being a green kid, of course I went 2 and out. They had a fancy program printed up and I remember that when I was leaving after my match with Massey, a lady asked me to sign her program. I was never so excited. Of course, she just wanted to get all of the participants to sign. In fact, I still have my program laying around somewhere. I even still have the T-shirt that they gave all of the participants.

The table up front in my place was a Murrey 7 foot, but made like a 9' commercial table. Most of the bar table gambling was done there. I worked 80+ hours a week there and made very little money, but it was probably the most enjoyable time of my life. I moved back to Powdersville from Chattanooga and live about a quarter mile from the strip mall. There is a clothes washing place there now.

You're right. Those are great memories.

Mike
Those Murrey's played ok at the Shrine Club but that skidding nappy cloth sucked. Sure glad the days of that stuff are over, lol...

Trivia Questions:

1: What foul did Buddy Hall call in Greenville against the guy that finally beat Earl in Akron causing his famous meltdown there? "He only got that call because he's Buddy F@#$ing Hall!"

2: What AZB board member went around to every single person in the building looking for a backer after the last matches of the night, but found none, as I recall, even though he'd already squeaked by probably the best player in the tournament with a ridiculous out?

3: What AZB board member played tennis with Michael Coltrain instead of practicing and exited one short of the money losing to the guy he had to ride home with for 8 hours or so and wasn't splitting? (Last time that happened!).

unknownpro

pete-biker
07-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I've said it before and i'll say it again (actually it must be a saying from some old, wise man): more you practice luckier you get.

So congratulations, you've done your homework.

JimmyB500
07-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi Timberly. No, I don't think you would know me. I stayed over in Anderson most of the time. I kept up with Greenville a bit and use to go to west end years ago. I would talk to Ray Cheek now and then. I hung out a little bit with Eddie the hat Burton. We would do things not related to pool now and then like play tennis late at night and go to local high school football games. Maybe go to a pill doctor. This was a long time ago. You can probably tell that I am a generation older than you...........:o Would the answer to the last trivia ? be Unknown Pro???? .................................................. .............

Timberly
07-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Would the answer to the last trivia ? be Unknown Pro???? .................................................. .............
That's the answer that I was thinking...

Thanks for answering me JimmyB. I didn't really know anyone from the Anderson area unless they came to Greenville regularly. I rarely left Greenville to go anywhere else...no need to.... there was a ton of action in Greenville.

Back then Stevie didn't have a car & he was itching to get out of town one night. I recall stopping by some place in the Anderson area called Sharkey's... it's just a vague memory of the place....from there we hit back roads and stopped in small places in small towns to see if Stevie could get some action. (Really stupid now that I think about it but didn't give it a 2nd thought back then) We ended up back home around sun up.

Speaking of cars... MT, that was an 81 Toyota Corona... luxury edition or something like that. LOL They came out before Camry's and the Camry ended up replacing it altogether. I liked that car....from the outside it looked like a regular little sedan.... it had power everything, cruise control, and it was a 5 speed. I of course added a Rockford Fosgate stereo system to it. :p I don't have any pics of that car but I found one that was close.... mine was gold and IIRC, it had spoke hubcaps on it...:D

justnum
07-08-2006, 01:39 PM
from the sound of danny's victory, it sounds like some of the old timers just aren't keeping standards as high as they used to.

Certainly a motivating story for me to get out and practice even more.

Congrats on the easy win.

JDB
07-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Those Murrey's played ok at the Shrine Club but that skidding nappy cloth sucked. Sure glad the days of that stuff are over, lol...

Trivia Questions:

1: What foul did Buddy Hall call in Greenville against the guy that finally beat Earl in Akron causing his famous meltdown there? "He only got that call because he's Buddy F@#$ing Hall!"

Unknown Pro

2: What AZB board member went around to every single person in the building looking for a backer after the last matches of the night, but found none, as I recall, even though he'd already squeaked by probably the best player in the tournament with a ridiculous out?

Unknown Pro

3: What AZB board member played tennis with Michael Coltrain instead of practicing and exited one short of the money losing to the guy he had to ride home with for 8 hours or so and wasn't splitting? (Last time that happened!).

Unknown Pro

unknownpro
I gotta say, unknown pro?

Scottster
07-09-2006, 07:07 AM
from the sound of danny's victory, it sounds like some of the old timers just aren't keeping standards as high as they used to.

Certainly a motivating story for me to get out and practice even more.

Congrats on the easy win.

The win wasn't "Easy" Mike missed ONE BALL! Danny was way behind, ran I think it was 109 to get back in the game, then didnt have a good break shot on the final rack, safety battle commences, danny splits the wickets on a tough cross side bank to win (how ironic for Danny to have a bank to beat mike in straight pool).

The only bummer about this match was danny admittedly couldn't rekindle the fire of intensity in his match with his touring buddy Max, which he needed all, of because Max played really good that weekend too.

Blackjack, being the working stiff that I am, I have to be real selective in which tournament(s) I can go to. I really want to attend DCC too. THe more I think about it though it would be smarter for me to goto the 14.1 championships since it is only a week long, but then I am left on the rail.
We shall see.

Mike Templeton
07-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Hey Vagabond,

It wasn't Timberly. Just a lady there watching the tournament. I remember the Bob King/Earl thing. And I'm pretty sure that the Miz did end up winning the tournament.

The last time I saw Chili, it was in Atlanta in about 2002 or 2003. He was living there doing who knows what. His son still lives in Greenville, and plays a little one-pocket.

Mike

Mike Templeton
07-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Hi Timberly. No, I don't think you would know me. I stayed over in Anderson most of the time. I kept up with Greenville a bit and use to go to west end years ago. I would talk to Ray Cheek now and then. I hung out a little bit with Eddie the hat Burton. We would do things not related to pool now and then like play tennis late at night and go to local high school football games. Maybe go to a pill doctor. This was a long time ago. You can probably tell that I am a generation older than you...........:o Would the answer to the last trivia ? be Unknown Pro???? .................................................. .............
Hey JimmyB,

We probably saw each other around some. The first action place I remember in Greenville was west end. I remember the litte School House in Piedmont where people gambled for a while, and Marvin Taylor's Shell Station in Greenwood. I remember that I was 15 years old when I first started going to Piedmont and Greenwood, and I had a restricted driver's license. I could only drive from 6am till 6pm, so I would either be home before dark, or stay all night till morning. I usually stayed all night.

I still see Ray Cheek every weekend at a local tournament at a little bar called "Pal's" in Piedmont. You will have to let me know who you are, and I'll tell him that you mentioned his name. He still plays good.

I used to watch Eddie Burton play around Greenville and Anderson back then. I think he moved to Laurens for a while, too. Rumor was that he would definitely take a pain pill, but he was always nice to me, answering any questions I had about the game. His untimely death was a shock to everyone.

Timberly,

I'll try to look the program up and scan it. It is probably somewhere under the years of pool magazines that I have.

Mike