PDA

View Full Version : "You be the judge" and help solve a bet

Joe Mama
05-27-2003, 01:13 AM
Okay, for the sake of posterity, I would like to get some third party confirmation on a bet that I made with my friend. Please chime in if you know the ruling according to standardized rules (BCA or other)...

Two players, "Joe"(J) and "Tom"(T) are playing nine-ball. Tom accidentally bumps a random object ball, but it doesn't affect the movement of the intended shot. Accordingly, it is Joe's option to move the ball back or leave it. Joe chooses to move it back where he believed it to be, and he does so honestly (within an inch or two of the actual lie). However, Tom (who initially bumped the ball) believes it to be slightly to the right of where Joe placed it. What is the correct outcome:

--------------------------------------------------------
(A) Although Joe may take Tom's opinion into consideration, JOE has the FINAL say in the placement of the object ball.

(B) Both Joe and Tom must reach a consensus to the location of the ball.
---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks,
Joe Mama

Koop
05-27-2003, 05:19 AM
A

wayne hancock
05-27-2003, 07:46 AM
The answer is A....the rule states that your opponent has the right to move the ball back or not.

Wayne

Marv
05-27-2003, 09:14 PM
A is the most correct answer.

Snapshot9
05-29-2003, 04:05 PM
No, B is the answer. Tom gets to confirm the move back, and if they don't agree, a referee has to be called.

Joe could freeze or move the ball back to a spot that blocks a future shot, and to do so is UNFAIR. Sorry, but a inch or two is not close enough for me to the original location.

Joe Mama
05-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Scott, I agree that a referee is the best answer, but when two people are matched up this isn't generally an option.

In the argument, my opponent moved the ball, and I placed it to the spot where I genuinely believed it to be. He disputed it and said that I just moved it to eliminate a combination shot on the 9-ball, and wanted to move it back so that the combination was makeable. Since there was no referee, I told him that I had the final say. So what would you do without the referee?

~Joe

Snapshot9
05-29-2003, 10:33 PM
I believe it to be you had final say, just like in the old days when opponents had the say over a foul or not (when matched up and no referees around).

Although .... If it was a hill to hill game
and the combo was the only shot I had, and I felt like you did not put the ball back into the proper place, I would not give in .... at very least, I would suggest just playing the game over.