PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Zone

Bluewolf
05-28-2003, 05:26 AM
I worried about my pool level for so long that it got like I hated pool. So I just accepted the fact that I would just be not a good pool player and to have fun.

We have a pool table at our house so i was still playing everyday, though not with intensity but to just relax. A drill or two every day and doing a correct stroke, but being sort of lazy really. I was just doing it for fun.

All of a sudden, all these balls started going in. I was shocked. My position skills had even gotten better, even though I mostly used centerball and when I used english, being dyslexic, I could not tell which one I used.

Well I finally figured out what outside english is, although I still sometimes do inside thinking I did outside.

Just when I was comfortable and having fun, all these balls just HAD to start going in. I mean, I was REALLY comfortable where I was.

Now I am scared, about to get what I once wanted, and not wanting it?

I had just begun to have fun and now they will probably bump me up and it wont be as fun anymore. I liked having a big spot.:(

Laura

Walt in VA
05-28-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Bluewolf
I worried about my pool level for so long that it got like I hated pool..... All of a sudden, all these balls started going in. I was shocked.... I had just begun to have fun and now they will probably bump me up and it wont be as fun anymore. I liked having a big spot.:(

Laura
Laura, I think you're discovering for yourself what a lot of people have been trying to tell you in various ways.... you've had good instruction in your fundamentals, now JUST SINK BALLS! Don't think too much, don't try to overanalyse, use centerball and speed more than english for shape, just shoot a lot of balls in, and don't worry.... when you do get moved up, your game will be there waiting for you. Good luck -

Walt in VA

Bluewolf
05-28-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Walt in VA
Laura, I think you're discovering for yourself what a lot of people have been trying to tell you in various ways.... you've had good instruction in your fundamentals, now JUST SINK BALLS! Don't think too much, don't try to overanalyse, use centerball and speed more than english for shape, just shoot a lot of balls in, and don't worry.... when you do get moved up, your game will be there waiting for you. Good luck -

Walt in VA

If i was talking about shooting like a sl3, I would not be so scared. But when i am making shots that an sl4 cannot make and according to my apa7 hubbie, lots of fives cannot make, that is what scares me. Thank God, I am not good at banks, but at the rate I am going, that wont be long either.Then i will be in deep doodoo in APA. Why did all of this happen in just a month?

I was a 2 getting ready to be bumped to a 3, and playing like a 3, this is like too much. Shots that were hard for me a month ago are now ridiculously easy. How could all of this happen so fast?

All of a sudden, I realize that I am very close to being able to run a rack,as soon as my position skills catch up a little. it is THAT bad. And that scary.

Laura

Walt in VA
05-28-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Bluewolf
If i was talking about shooting like a sl3, I would not be so scared. But when i am making shots that an sl4 cannot make and according to my apa7 hubbie, lots of fives cannot make, that is what scares me. Thank God, I am not good at banks, but at the rate I am going, that wont be long either.Then i will be in deep doodoo in APA. Why did all of this happen in just a month?

Laura
There you go again - obsessing about those S/L's! :D

There isn't any "test" for a s/l - because you make a great shot that a 4 or 5 would be proud of it doesn't automatically make you one; it's your overall game. If you're CONSISTENTLY shooting like a 4, you'll be able to compete evenly against other 4's, because you ARE a 4. If you're consistently losing as a 4, you'll soon drop back.

Just play your best game and let the s/l's sort themselves out. Glad to hear you're improving so fast - hope it continues.

Walt in VA

bruin70
05-29-2003, 03:37 AM
enjoy the game, evolve naturally, and the handicap will take care of itself.

Snapshot9
05-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Laura ... Remember when I told you about those little light bulbs coming on every so often. Well dear, You just had a 100 watter come on for you. Now use that, still have fun and learn more. Yes, even the best of sandbaggers have to move up, I should know .... <grin>