PDA

View Full Version : So how does everyone feel about the US Open breaking setup?

drv4
10-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Those that have watched matches, or have been lucky enough to talk to some players, what's the verdict on the 9 on the spot and the Renfro's template rack?

I got the evening session yesterday and it seemed Ortmann had the setup figured out. Then right after his match I saw Shane dry break and scratch on the break a couple times.

Anybody know what the biggest package is? Saw ortmann do 3 I believe yesterday.

spartan
10-28-2015, 09:14 PM
I like this setup . The top breakers like Kos, Shane were struggling and having problems . So it will not just be breakfest of best breakers . It tests other skills like safety, pushoit tactical play, mid and end game play.
Highesr package on Tv table I think is 4 by Hsu v Dechaine :)

AtLarge
10-28-2015, 09:34 PM
... Highesr package on Tv table I think is 4 by Hsu v Dechaine :)

Correct. He opened the match with a 4-pack (one of which was a 9-ball on the break).

victorl
10-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Wati, does a 9-ball on the snap count as a win? Isn't this rack your own?

iusedtoberich
10-28-2015, 10:36 PM
I liked it quite a lot. I watched about 3/4 of the streamed matches.

1. It was fast racking. I absolutely can not stand when the players obsess over the rack for what seems like an eternity.

2. I only saw one single occurrence where they re-racked the balls. Earl asked Frost to re-rack on the very first match, because he said the rack was crooked. Frost did, no arguments, all was good.

3. I personally do not have a problem with wired wing balls, but I know others do. That siad, the wing balls were definitley not wired. Players were using a wide variety of breaks to try to make them. It seemed that the best chance of making the wing ball was to let the CB fly loose. That brought a lot of randomness to the shot on the 1. In contrast, when the players went for a break to really control the CB, the wing ball did not seem to go as much, or at all, on those breaks.

4. I did not witness a single crybaby incident regarding the rack on the TV tables. I heard of some as reported here on AZ, but, the players who complained about that, are crybabies in general, imo. Those particular ones are always complaining. As a fan, I don't want to see crybabies. If this rack helps keep them pacified, it makes me happy:)

Win all around for this pool fan.

AtLarge
10-29-2015, 12:06 AM
Wati, does a 9-ball on the snap count as a win? Isn't this rack your own?

Last year, a 9-ball made on the break spotted up if it went in either of the two foot-rail pockets; it counted as a win if it went in any of the other 4 pockets.

I have not seen or heard anything about the rule this year. So far for the streamed matches, only 2 9-balls have been pocketed on the break -- neither went in a foot-rail pocket, and both counted as wins. So I don't know for sure yet whether this year's rule is the same as last year's.