PDA

View Full Version : Where is Team USA?

cardiac kid
10-29-2015, 05:55 AM
Looked at the final boards for the US Open. Other than SVB, Corey and Sky, what happened to the "best" the USA has to offer? One of them will be gone for sure after the next round. Perhaps our players are just not strong enough anymore. Not only are the "regular" Europeans dominating but the Eastern Europeans have jumped their game. I'm going to the Mosconi for the first time in December. I'll be rooting for Team USA but to be honest, my bet will be on the European team. Only purchased three days tickets. This is really, really sad!

Lyn

shanesinnott
10-29-2015, 06:03 AM
Looked at the final boards for the US Open. Other than SVB, Corey and Sky, Dechaine, Bergman what happened to the "best" the USA has to offer? One of them will be gone for sure after the next round. Perhaps our players are just not strong enough anymore. Not only are the "regular" Europeans dominating but the Eastern Europeans have jumped their game. I'm going to the Mosconi for the first time in December. I'll be rooting for Team USA but to be honest, my bet will be on the European team. Only purchased three days tickets. This is really, really sad!

Lyn

Fixed your post. Looks like a great 5 man team to me!

NYC cue dude
10-29-2015, 06:04 AM
This has been happening for the last decade. The only American that can regularly hang with the Euros is Shane. Sure, players like Mike D and some of the young guns can beat anyone on any given day, but that's becoming more of the exception, not the rule.

spliced
10-29-2015, 06:09 AM
I think a team of SVB, Corey, Sky, Dechaine, and Bergman would do just fine against the euros

Busboy
10-29-2015, 06:13 AM
I think a team of SVB, Corey, Sky, Dechaine, and Bergman would do just fine against the euros

Me to I like that line up

Grantstew
10-29-2015, 06:17 AM
A big help for the US would be to win more of the lags, in Blackpool you guys won about 3 all week. That's a big deal in a race to 5 alternate break!

Or is it a race to 6, having a brain fart lol

Donny Lutz
10-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Looked at the final boards for the US Open. Other than SVB, Corey and Sky, what happened to the "best" the USA has to offer? One of them will be gone for sure after the next round. Perhaps our players are just not strong enough anymore. Not only are the "regular" Europeans dominating but the Eastern Europeans have jumped their game. I'm going to the Mosconi for the first time in December. I'll be rooting for Team USA but to be honest, my bet will be on the European team. Only purchased three days tickets. This is really, really sad!

Lyn

The odds that all five (we still don't know who they are!) US team players making the final sixteen were pretty remote. Simple math.

This was a true monster field!

BasementDweller
10-29-2015, 06:34 AM

Why is Corey included in this list? Just curious.

I can't think of a single big table event that he's won in years. Am I missing something?

I like SVB, Dechaine, and Bergman at this point. Then I would put Oscar Dominguez's recent resume ahead of Corey's and because of his play at last year's Mosconi Cup I would also put Justin Hall ahead of Corey.

I'm starting to wonder if Corey was ever really a truly top tier player or was he really just a good pro that figured out the break shot quicker than the others.

spartan
10-29-2015, 06:56 AM

Lyn

Hello, what about big old Rodney? He is ignored for being too critical ?:D

The odds that all five (we still don't know who they are!) US team players making the final sixteen were pretty remote. Simple math.

This was a true monster field!

Your words are the truth , man. The painful truth
IMHO, because this is strongest US open field , a last 8 finish is already a big achievement
There are now 32 left so by end of today it is a big achievement whoever remains in last 4 on losers side end of today

the Professor
10-29-2015, 07:52 AM

Lyn

Have you looked at the brackets? We have several players still in the tournament….Corey, Rodney, Shane, Bergman, Sky, Mike and SVB…. thats not bad in this monster field… Also, our players have knocked out some awesome players along the way….

I'm not sure that a team of: SVB, Bergman, Mike D, Rodney, and one other top American is a huge under dog at the Mosconi cup. I think people are making to much of a deal about the lack of American success in big international tournaments. Our problem is not that we can't be successful in those venues, its that our players don't have sponsors that let them go and play in those types of tournaments. If we had sent a full contention of Americans to the World 9 Ball tournament, I feel confident that we would have had several additional players in late rounds.

It will be interesting to see how the Americans finish up in the open!

spliced
10-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Why is Corey included in this list? Just curious.

I can't think of a single big table event that he's won in years. Am I missing something?

I like SVB, Dechaine, and Bergman at this point. Then I would put Oscar Dominguez's recent resume ahead of Corey's and because of his play at last year's Mosconi Cup I would also put Justin Hall ahead of Corey.

I'm starting to wonder if Corey was ever really a truly top tier player or was he really just a good pro that figured out the break shot quicker than the others.

I guess corey's spot on that list could be up for grabs. Rodney, Hall, or Oscar are all good choices. I dont know who has the best record at the moment.

ChicagoJoe
10-29-2015, 08:18 AM
Did you make a similar post regarding Europe after the World Championship?

Rico
10-29-2015, 09:01 AM
I think Karen Corr

cardiac kid
10-29-2015, 09:27 AM
Have you looked at the brackets? We have several players still in the tournament….Corey, Rodney, Shane, Bergman, Sky, Mike and SVB…. thats not bad in this monster field… Also, our players have knocked out some awesome players along the way….

I'm not sure that a team of: SVB, Bergman, Mike D, Rodney, and one other top American is a huge under dog at the Mosconi cup. I think people are making to much of a deal about the lack of American success in big international tournaments. Our problem is not that we can't be successful in those venues, its that our players don't have sponsors that let them go and play in those types of tournaments. If we had sent a full contention of Americans to the World 9 Ball tournament, I feel confident that we would have had several additional players in late rounds.

It will be interesting to see how the Americans finish up in the open!

Excuse me professor, after this mornings matches there will be only ONE American left in the field. Either Corey or SVB. All the others have failed to continue on.

Lyn

ChicagoJoe
10-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Excuse me professor, after this mornings matches there will be only ONE American left in the field. Either Corey or SVB. All the others have failed to continue on.

Lyn

Bergman and Dechaine lost?

cardiac kid
10-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Did you make a similar post regarding Europe after the World Championship?

Joe,

I am discussing only the American team versus the European team for the Mosconi. Look at the brackets this morning. Good old Stars and Stripes is in a serious position with only one player remaining. The Europeans are dominating whether we like it or not. Last I heard, the Asians do not participate in the Mosconi! JMHO.

Lyn

#Cruncher
10-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Dechaine, Morris, and Bergman all will be starting their matches in a few minutes...

cardiac kid
10-29-2015, 09:35 AM

Check the brackets. It appears Corey will be the last American standing.

Lyn

RobMan
10-29-2015, 09:36 AM

No Dechaine plays Grabe next. Bergman plays Li.

Cory is up 9-6 over SVB right now!

cardiac kid
10-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Damn guys, I guess I am getting too old for this sheit. My apologies to the forum. Missed the top side of the one loss bracket. You guys are correct :embarrassed2: :sorry: .

Lyn

#Cruncher
10-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Its all good Lyn. Must've been a pleasant surprise knowing we got 3 more American bullets.

cardiac kid
10-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Its all good Lyn. Must've been a pleasant surprise knowing we got 3 more American bullets.

Cruncher,

Wish it was all good. Really concerned I missed those matches. Having problems with my play and this doesn't bode well. You are right though. Go USA!!!

Lyn

Tooler
10-29-2015, 11:18 AM

I like you thinking.

Celtic
10-29-2015, 11:19 AM

Lyn

Perhaps "you" need to look again.

I happen to be betting against Bergman right now and I can assure you he is still in, and beating Li He Wen soundly.

Tooler
10-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Don't forget about the Rocket......:thumbup:

Kris_b1104
10-29-2015, 11:25 AM
I like you thinking.

But Morris has gotten further than Sky in this tournament and still in currently. I think he might beat Sky in Mosconi points and the team will be Shane, Dechaine, Deuel, Bergman, and Rodney. In terms of Mosconi cup points of course, not my own biased opinion.

actionplayer
10-29-2015, 11:31 AM

Lyn

this is not new. i think USA have did very well in this event in comparison with last decade and just brutal ability. the rise of bergman is good to see. he is pushing dechaine for best of the rest. sky is not too far behind either.

jayburger
10-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Rodney just won another match,and justin and corey are leading their matches. Dechaine is down 8-7 but still alive. He may not be favored over anyone left in tournament but i don,t think anyone has to like playing justin right now.

Tooler
10-29-2015, 11:33 AM
But Morris has gotten further than Sky in this tournament and still in currently. I think he might beat Sky in Mosconi points and the team will be Shane, Dechaine, Deuel, Bergman, and Rodney. In terms of Mosconi cup points of course, not my own biased opinion.

Only if he wins....... He's playing great.

ChicagoJoe
10-29-2015, 12:01 PM
3 americans just advanced to the next round, with a 4th up in his match.

BRussell
10-29-2015, 12:02 PM
It's been a good afternoon for the US, with Rodney, Bergman, and Decahine winning and Corey up right now 9-6.

Tooler
10-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Mike really dug deep, winning 4 straight to close it out. Great win.

He's gonna roll now.

SFC9ball
10-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Dechaine came back from the jaws of death in that match being down like he was. Looking for Bergman to BURN up the B side with a case of the double dip! :grin-square:

the Professor
10-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Pretty Good showing from the U.S players this afternoon. I think this definitely shows that we are not as far behind the world as many would like to claim/believe. Go USA!

#Cruncher
10-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Interestingly enough, of the 8 players playing now on the 1 loss side (13-16th), 4 are American and 4 are Filipino. 2 of the matches are US vs Phil. 1 is US vs US and one is Phil. vs Phil.

ChicagoJoe
10-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately Rodney and Bergman are playing eachother. Wish i could watch that match.

nplum24
10-29-2015, 12:25 PM
Rodney's last apperance at the Mosconi was far from classy! I love the Mosconi and want to see our best USA players put in! With that being said, I also don't want to attend an event where as a USA fan I embarrassed by the sportmanship of our players. Swearing and whinning on camera is not in are best interest, neither for USA fans or for the team moral. Playing in the Mosconi is not a right for the best player.....it is a priveledge and an honor! USA PROUD!!!!!