PDA

View Full Version : Four Men Left Standing on the Final Day of the Open

JAM
10-30-2015, 06:30 AM
The two undefeated players are Karl Boyes and Y.H. Cheng. The two contestants on the one-loss side are Ralf Souquet and Haitao Liu.

Play on this our final day will begin at 1 p.m., and all of the rest of the matches will be streamed live on Accu-Stats.com.

Read all about it --> Final Four Prepare for War (http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/12343-final-four-prepare-for-war-at-us-open/)

I'm pulling for Ralfie. :cool:

JAM
10-30-2015, 06:39 AM
I had never heard of this nickname for Karl: Guapes.

The 32-year-old was born in Manchester, England. He's heralded as a great player from England and continues to make big scores on the tournament trail.

He has a daughter, Georgie J., and a lovely lady by his side who starred in Snooker's big break.

Here is a few of his titles:

2012 WPA World Series Speed Pool Champion
2010 WPA World 8-Ball Champion
2010 World Team Champion
2x Mosconi Cup Winner
European Tour Champion
Golden 9-Ball Winner
Bigfoot 10-Ball Champion
GB9 Winner

He's in the winner's bracket and will be playing for the hot seat later today.

JAM
10-30-2015, 06:41 AM
Y.H. Cheng is going to play Karl for the hot seat. I can't find anything about him via a Google search. Somebody please provide some data on this thread about Y.H. Cheng.

One thing for sure, if he wins, he will become a name brand in pool. :)

JAM
10-30-2015, 06:44 AM
You only have to say "Ralf," and everyone ones it's Souquet. "The Kaiser," as he is fondly known, is a favorite of many fans in America and across the world. The 46-year-old is having a very good tournament at the Open this year. He's defeated some world-beaters.

He began playing billiards at the age of six in his parents' pub, practicing up to five hours per day. He won his first German Championship title at the age of fourteen in the juniors division.

Ralf is on the B side of the chart and faces Haitao Liu.

JAM
10-30-2015, 06:46 AM
Haitao Liu is a veteran player from China. I don't know much about him. Hopefully, some folks can add some data about him. He's definitely also having a very good tournament this year.

maestro de pool
10-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Y.H. Cheng is going to play Karl for the hot seat. I can't find anything about him via a Google search. Somebody please provide some data on this thread about Y.H. Cheng.

heres the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_hzWn_WwRM

watchez
10-30-2015, 07:09 AM

I'm pulling for him - super nice guy and represents the sport well.

watchez
10-30-2015, 07:11 AM
I had never heard of this nickname for Karl: Guapes.

The 32-year-old was born in Manchester, England. He's heralded as a great player from England and continues to make big scores on the tournament trail.

He has a daughter, Georgie J., and a lovely lady by his side who starred in Snooker's big break.

Here is a few of his titles:

2012 WPA World Series Speed Pool Champion
2010 WPA World 8-Ball Champion
2010 World Team Champion
2x Mosconi Cup Winner
European Tour Champion
Golden 9-Ball Winner
Bigfoot 10-Ball Champion
GB9 Winner

He's in the winner's bracket and will be playing for the hot seat later today.

You forgot second place team event of the BCAPL when he came over here for the first time. Pretty impressive that he went from a league player one year to world champion the next.

Cardigan Kid
10-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Kind of a lackluster final four in terms of drama and star power match-ups.

No Ko brothers to bring their dominance into the States
No Shane on the 4-peat or revenge match against big Ko
No Justin Bergman on a Cinderella run to claim his place at the top.
No Americans at all

A Ralf vs Karl finals will save the day in terms of "good vs bad" storyline. Sorry to Karl, but I think he embraces the "bad" side fairly well.

I suppose this US Open will ultimately be remembered for the TD resignation/Barry "whiteout" Berman fiasco.

Still some great hill hill battles throughout that will lead to dvd watching for sure.

watchez
10-30-2015, 07:21 AM

http://alison-chang.com/kevin-cheng-and-chen-siming-crowned-in-2015-miyun-open/

Oh and he is 20th ranked in the world

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/rankings

Drop The Rock
10-30-2015, 07:26 AM

He goes by Kevin here in the states

gxman
10-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Looks like Liu is a regular at the U.S open, for the last few years at least.

meister2u
10-30-2015, 08:07 AM
This is gonna be a European Final ...or Asian Final...thats the way I see it....js.....really gonna be tough fight especially with break box and 9 on spot!!:smile::smile:

alstl
10-30-2015, 08:47 AM

Rumor has it he plays jam up 9 ball - pun intended.

HelloBaby-
10-30-2015, 08:51 AM

His biggest achievement so far is the Minyu Open where he beat the godly Wu Jia Qing in the final for 30k.
He's been pretty active in the US, winning some big regional tournaments like the White Diamond ( 80k 90k calcutta)

HelloBaby-
10-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Rumor has it he plays jam up 9 ball - pun intended.
He has a surprisingly amazing defense game - his safety is deadly, he's still working on his mental game though, did choke sometimes under pressure.
He's like a great CB-mover, great touch, he has a GPS on the CB but his shot-making is not at the same level of Jayson or Shane.

Eric.
10-30-2015, 09:02 AM

You forgot second place team event of the BCAPL when he came over here for the first time. Pretty impressive that he went from a league player one year to world champion the next. *edit- re: Karl Boyes

Y.H. "Kevin" Cheng first played in the USA a couple/three years ago, at the BCA Nationals event, in Vegas. He entered and won one of the amateur singles event (Open or Advanced?) and torched the field. There was a big dust up about it and CSI wanted to withhold his first place winnings, saying that he basically was a ringer. Thing is, it wasn't sorted out before the tournament started.

For that matter, he sure wasn't the first guy to try sneaking under the radar at hte BCA amateur event. A couple guys come to mind, like:

Jason Kirkwood- wins at the BCA, then, a few months later, finishes 3rd in an IPT Pro event

Chris Melling- played the BCA Open event about 10 years ago. He was definitely "pro speed" at the time.

There's more, but this is all i have, in a 3 minute post...

Eric

jasonlaus
10-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Kind of a lackluster final four in terms of drama and star power match-ups.

No Ko brothers to bring their dominance into the States
No Shane on the 4-peat or revenge match against big Ko
No Justin Bergman on a Cinderella run to claim his place at the top.
No Americans at all

A Ralf vs Karl finals will save the day in terms of "good vs bad" storyline. Sorry to Karl, but I think he embraces the "bad" side fairly well.

I suppose this US Open will ultimately be remembered for the TD resignation/Barry "whiteout" Berman fiasco.

Still some great hill hill battles throughout that will lead to dvd watching for sure.

How about remembering it as the strongest US Open field ever

watchez
10-30-2015, 09:13 AM
For that matter, he sure wasn't the first guy to try sneaking under the radar at hte BCA amateur event. A couple guys come to mind, like:

Jason Kirkwood- wins at the BCA, then, a few months later, finishes 3rd in an IPT Pro event

Chris Melling- played the BCA Open event about 10 years ago. He was definitely "pro speed" at the time.

Eric
Danny Alcaide
Karl Boyes
Darren Appleton
Mick Hill

Eric.
10-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Danny Alcaide
Karl Boyes
Darren Appleton
Mick Hill

Yep.

I think Francisco Diaz Pizarro was in there too...

Eric

tucson9ball
10-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Y.H. "Kevin" Cheng first played in the USA a couple/three years ago, at the BCA Nationals event, in Vegas. He entered and won one of the amateur singles event (Open or Advanced?) and torched the field. There was a big dust up about it and CSI wanted to withhold his first place winnings, saying that he basically was a ringer. Thing is, it wasn't sorted out before the tournament started.

Eric

I believe it was in the Open class at the 2012 BCAPL Nationals. A couple of his teammates got in the top 32 also. Their Taiwan team was entered into the Open/mixed teams but after seeing there skills in singles were moved to the Advanced division where they still won pretty handily.
Their winnings were not paid in full do to a controversy of skill level. I believe they got paid some to cover their travel expenses and the balance was awarded to other players they defeated during the tournament. I can't remember all the details.

SUPERSTAR
10-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Their winnings were not paid in full do to a controversy of skill level. I believe they got paid some to cover their travel expenses and the balance was awarded to other players they defeated during the tournament. I can't remember all the details.

Total garbage.
You let them in then it's on you.
You let them in then you let them win, you PAY them not punish them for your mistake. IMO

JAM
10-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Is this the same Cheng that is on this CSI website? --> http://thepoolscene.com/independent-pool-and-billiards/csi-confirms-svb-souquet-reyes-cheng

CSI says: Cheng, a young up-and-coming Taiwan superstar, is relatively unknown in the U.S. but also possesses impressive skill. A few of his recent wins include the 2011 National Games of the Republic of China 9-Ball Champion, 2013 National Professional Billiards Ranking Tournament No.258 Runner-Up, and on March 30, 2014 he traveled to the US and went undefeated through a strong field of players to win the White Diamond Super 9-Ball.

Man, he looks like a panther on the table. Yikes! :eek:

HelloBaby-
10-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Eric

Maybe they thought they were like Tom Cruise in The Color of Money. How did it feel when americans tasted their own medicine ? Lol

JAM
10-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Herer's a photo and quote from Big Truck when Cheng won the White Diamond Super 9-Ball. He's shown here with Sam Gilmer.

Man, these Asian surnames can be confusing: Y.H. Cheng, Kevin Cheng, and Cheng Yu-Hsuan.

Quote from Big Truck: Congratulation to Cheng Yu-Hsuan for bringing some stellar play to White Diamond Billiards and he couldnt have picked a better time to snap off the countries biggest bar table event with almost $90,000 up for grabs!! How bout Lil D, Daniel Mckenney???? Great run he and his road dog Sam Gilmer are having. Really good to see!

gesan
10-30-2015, 10:00 AM
I never thought I would root for Ralf - so how about anyone other than Karl!

SilverCue
10-30-2015, 10:01 AM
This is gonna be a European Final ...or Asian Final...thats the way I see it....js.....really gonna be tough fight especially with break box and 9 on spot!!:smile::smile:

I like Taipei all the way :)

spartan
10-30-2015, 10:02 AM

Y.H.Cheng aka Kevin Cheng has been like shadow man/corner man/reserve player for the top Taiwanese like the Kos and Changs. Probably ranked outside top 5 in Taiwan . Recent made breakthrough winning CBSA event beating Wu and has been on a roll.

According to Fargorate (which is not 100% accurate :) ) and bookmaker William Hill odds (quite subjective and have to tak with pinch of salt : ), Kevin is the favorite to win whole thing over the other 3

Fargorate
Kevin Cheng 795
Ralf Souquet 787
Karl Boyes 778
Liu Haitao 768

Odds from Bookmarker William Hill
Kevin Cheng 33/1
Karl Boyes 40/1
Liu Haitao 40/1
Ralf Souquet 50/1

If historically, winner is usually from winner side so that means either Kevin or "Ball cleaner/CB did not stop" Boyes. Considering that Ralf and Liu slogged overnight until 3am that may effect their performance

Who will win?
IMHO, any one of these 4. A lot depends on how they break and how well they master the TV table.

But I would like Kevin or Ralf or Liu to win. Anyone except Guapo :grin:

JAM
10-30-2015, 10:04 AM
Y.H.Cheng aka Kevin Cheng has been like shadow man/corner man/reserve player for the top Taiwanese like the Kos and Changs. Probably ranked outside top 5 in Taiwan . Recent made breakthrough winning CBSA event beating Wu and has been on a roll.

According to Fargorate (which is not 100% accurate :) ) and bookmaker William Hill odds (quite subjective and have to tak with pinch of salt : ), Kevin is the favorite to win whole thing over the other 3

Fargorate
Kevin Cheng 795
Ralf Souquet 787
Karl Boyes 778
Liu Haitao 768

Odds from Bookmarker William Hill
Kevin Cheng 33/1
Karl Boyes 40/1
Liu Haitao 40/1
Ralf Souquet 50/1

If historically, winner is usually from winner side so that means either Kevin or "Ball cleaner/CB did not stop" Boyes. Considering that Ralf and Liu slogged overnight until 3am that may effect their performance

Who will win?
IMHO, any one of these 4. A lot depends on how they break and how well they master the TV table.

But I would like Kevin or Ralf or Liu to win. Anyone except Guapo :grin:

Great data. THANK YOU for sharing. How intersting! Love this kind of talk. :cool:

Eric.
10-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Is this the same Cheng that is on this CSI website? --> http://thepoolscene.com/independent-pool-and-billiards/csi-confirms-svb-souquet-reyes-cheng

CSI says: Cheng, a young up-and-coming Taiwan superstar, is relatively unknown in the U.S. but also possesses impressive skill. A few of his recent wins include the 2011 National Games of the Republic of China 9-Ball Champion, 2013 National Professional Billiards Ranking Tournament No.258 Runner-Up, and on March 30, 2014 he traveled to the US and went undefeated through a strong field of players to win the White Diamond Super 9-Ball.

Man, he looks like a panther on the table. Yikes! :eek:

Yes, ma'am. That be him.

If I were to speculate, I would tend to think the invite was extended as an olive branch, of sorts, for the BCA Amateur Open debacle.

Eric

JAM
10-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Yes, ma'am. That be him.

If I were to speculate, I would tend to think the invite was extended as an olive branch, of sorts, for the BCA Amateur Open debacle.

Eric

Looks like a nice kid. He's playing Karl and losing 1 to zip, so far.

decent dennis
10-30-2015, 10:25 AM
Herer's a photo and quote from Big Truck when Cheng won the White Diamond Super 9-Ball. He's shown here with Sam Gilmer.

Man, these Asian surnames can be confusing: Y.H. Cheng, Kevin Cheng, and Cheng Yu-Hsuan.

Quote from Big Truck: Congratulation to Cheng Yu-Hsuan for bringing some stellar play to White Diamond Billiards and he couldnt have picked a better time to snap off the countries biggest bar table event with almost $90,000 up for grabs!! How bout Lil D, Daniel Mckenney???? Great run he and his road dog Sam Gilmer are having. Really good to see!

Not Sam Gilmer.

spartan
10-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Rack 2 :Leading 1-0 , Guapo missed long easy 1 (Muahahahaha. Oops shouldn't be laughing at errors) brings Kevin back to run out to tie 1-1

Rack 3; Kevin breaks has shot on 1, nice open table and he cleans out for 2-1 lead

Rack 4. Kev breaks and has long shot on 2 with CB against cushion

JAM
10-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Not Sam Gilmer.

I thought that is what Big Truck's quote for the photo is. If that's the case, I'm not sure who that other guy is.

JAM
10-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Souquet and Cheng both winning against their partners, 2 to 1. It's still early, though. :p

JAM
10-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Rack 2 :Leading 1-0 , Guapo missed long easy 1 (Muahahahaha. Oops shouldn't be laughing at errors) brings Kevin back to run out to tie 1-1

Rack 3; Kevin breaks has shot on 1, nice open table and he cleans out for 2-1 lead

Rack 4. Kev breaks and has long shot on 2 with CB against cushion

Who is on the TV table?

spartan
10-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Who is on the TV table?

Haha
Guapo=Karl
Kevin=Cheng Yu Hsuan

Boyes ties it 2-2 but breaks dry. Kev pots nice 1 into side and has shot on 2 and he will be out. Kev 3-2 coming up

JAM
10-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Not Sam Gilmer.

Here is the thread about the tournament that Kevin Cheng won.: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=358091&highlight=Cheng

JAM
10-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Haha
Guapo=Karl
Kevin=Cheng Yu Hsuan

Boyes ties it 2-2 but breaks dry. Kev pots nice 1 into side and has shot on 2 and he will be out. Kev 3-2 coming up

This is going to be a neck-and-neck horse race. :D

Just the way I like it. :thumbup:

JAM
10-30-2015, 10:44 AM
Kevin out in the lead, 4 to 2 over Karl. :cool:

JAM
10-30-2015, 10:46 AM
And this is for the hot seat. Winner of this match is guaranteed second place monies, which I think is 20 large.

PoloBob
10-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Karl dogs the 3 ball. Cheng should be able to negotiate this rack after a solid combination and distance his lead to 5-2.

Tao breaks in the 6th rack, and looks to play a 3/9 combo to go up 4-2.

spartan
10-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Wow, Boyes breaks dry and Kevin plays a 4 -5-9 combo to go up 6-3 Nice
Boyes is having problems with his break. Kevin is breaking better :grin:

spartan
10-30-2015, 11:08 AM
Kevin B&R 7-3

BRussell
10-30-2015, 11:09 AM
I'd like to see China vs. Taiwan. Might start an international incident.

spartan
10-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Kevin B&R 8-3
Kevin is off to the races:D

Kevin 0.932 Karl 0.852

JAM
10-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Kevin B&R 8-3
Kevin is off to the races:D

Wow! Who is the crowd rooting for?

spartan
10-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Another B&R Kevin 9-3
Another B&R Kevin 10-3 on hill

Wow! Who is the crowd rooting for?

Crowd quite neutral so far
But Danny d and Wilson very impressed with Kevin

PoloBob
Seems like the crowd favors Boyes.

Tao breaking in the 10th rack, leading 6-3 over Souquet.

JAM
Another B&R Kevin 9-3
Another B&R Kevin 10-3 in hill

What a shooter; what a guy! WHO is this Kevin dude?! :grin:

PoloBob
10-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Another B&R Kevin 9-3
Another B&R Kevin 10-3 on hill

Kevin breaks wide open, but dry... crowd erupts

JAM
10-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Kevin breaks wide open, but dry... crowd erupts

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeowwwwwwwwwwwwww!

spartan
Seems like the crowd favors Boyes.

Tao breaking in the 10th rack, leading 6-3 over Souquet.

Yes crowd gave big applause to Boyes after Kevin dry break on the hill
Boyes runs out 4-10 behind

poolplaya1976
What a shooter; what a guy! WHO is this Kevin dude?! :grin:

I am shocked you don't know this guy, plays sensational pool.....he went cheap in Calcutta last night too.....might be because Shannon "shady" daulton was running Calcutta.....I was shocked that shaw lost 2 in a row and finished 5th/6th......bet the farm on this Asian sensation to win this tournament......hard to beat a guy who never misses

JAM
10-30-2015, 11:28 AM
I am shocked you don't know this guy, plays sensational pool.....he went cheap in Calcutta last night too.....might be because Shannon "shady" daulton was running Calcutta.....I was shocked that shaw lost 2 in a row and finished 5th/6th......bet the farm on this Asian sensation to win this tournament......hard to beat a guy who never misses

I never knew they had a Calcutta at the Open. This must be something new.

spartan
10-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Boyes breaks illegal break
Kevin plays nice 3-9 combo to win 11-4 and get in hot seat
Awesome display

JAM
10-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Boyes breaks illegal break
Kevin plays nice 3-9 combo to win 11-4 and get in hot seat
Awesome display

Kevin Cheng in the hotseat, guaranteed $20,000 for second place, and if he wins, he pockets 40 large. Wow! He must be on Cloud Nine!

watchez
10-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Kevin Cheng in the hotseat, guaranteed $20,000 for second place, and if he wins, he pockets 40 large. Wow! He must be on Cloud Nine!

Minus 30%

He is everything a pool player should be. Won his match, shook Boyes hand and bowed to the crowd.

Last time I ran into Kevin he had one of my Southwests in his hand and wouldn't let go of it. Offered me 5k. Looks like the price just went up. :)

Eric.
10-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Minus 30%

He is everything a pool player should be. Won his match, shook Boyes hand and bowed to the crowd.

Last time I ran into Kevin he had one of my Southwests in his hand and wouldn't let go of it. Offered me 5k. Looks like the price just went up. :)

They love SW's, over there.

For what it's worth, if foreigners sign a W-8 BEN, and the two countries have tax law agreements/reciprocity, then he'll get the full amount, after filing a US tax return.

moose man
10-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Is Ralf still down 9-3?

RichSchultz
10-30-2015, 12:09 PM
9-5 right now

HelloBaby-
10-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Probably nobody noticed but Liu had arguably the toughest draw possible of the tourney. Yet he beat Mike Immonen, Justin Bergman, Dennis Orcullo, Hsu Kai Lun, and likely Ralf Souquet to reach the loser final. That's pretty sick.

PoolBum
10-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Ralf now down 9-6.

RichSchultz
10-30-2015, 12:16 PM
It's 9-6 now!!

decent dennis
10-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Here is the thread about the tournament that Kevin Cheng won.: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=358091&highlight=Cheng

Daniel McKenny (or something like that) they call him Lil D.