PDA

View Full Version : Question for 9-ball tournament experts

Thomas McKane
10-30-2015, 10:53 AM
With all this fuss at the U.S. Open about 9-ball breaking and trying to limit the various breaking techniques by pro's, why not just switch all of these major rotation tournaments to alternating breaks? It works great for 1P.

SUPERSTAR
10-30-2015, 10:55 AM
It would take 2 weeks to finish the tournament

WoodyMPW
10-30-2015, 10:57 AM
These guys like seeing packages. :eek:

Thomas McKane
10-30-2015, 10:58 AM
It would take 2 weeks to finish the tournament

I disagree, these matches are all going hill-hill anyway. And if each player gets to break "their way" then they would run out more, which is faster.

BRussell
10-30-2015, 11:07 AM
I agree. I understand the appeal (and tradition) of winner breaks, but alternate break evens out breaking issues and ensures that both players actually play. If you've got much longer races, like challenge matches playing to 100, go ahead and use winner breaks. But these tournaments should use alternate break.

Island Drive
10-30-2015, 11:44 AM
With all this fuss at the U.S. Open about 9-ball breaking and trying to limit the various breaking techniques by pro's, why not just switch all of these major rotation tournaments to alternating breaks? It works great for 1P.

Nope, like tennis they need to play sets. Best 3 outta five with a break between sets. Tiebreakers and all. Single elimination.

Wheels33
10-30-2015, 12:08 PM

with alternate breaks....if one player gets up by 2 or more games, you can pretty much call it game over most of the time.

you'd never have the excitement of the Corey Duel comeback against Biado in alternate break.

poolplaya1976
10-30-2015, 12:12 PM
with alternate breaks....if one player gets up by 2 or more games, you can pretty much call it game over most of the time.

you'd never have the excitement of the Corey Duel comeback against Biado in alternate break.

I watched that match, best comeback from down 9 to 1 that I have ever seen

Cracktherack
10-30-2015, 01:30 PM
I want a handicap. I can't play against the top players. I also want to be exempt from whining during the match.
Whining is not unsportsmanlike like conduct if you have something to whine about.
I can whine about the chalk.
I can and whine about the measles ball.
I can whine about the magic rack.
I can and whine about alternate breaks.
I can whine about cut breaks.
I can whine about jump cues being allowed.
That's all I do is whine, until it becomes a distraction enough for me to win.