PDA

View Full Version : Oh the naysayers, where are you now? Y.H. Cheng (Kevin)

Drop The Rock
10-30-2015, 12:04 PM
First and foremost, for those of you who do not know Yu Hsuan Cheng goes by Kevin.

Now to my main point which starts off with my first impression of Kevin.

The first time I saw Kevin Cheng play he was in action at Big Tyme Billiards here in Houston. His cueball control, safety play and kicking were UNBELIEVABLE. He put people in spots and got out of spots that would have made Efren smile. His cueball control off the break and jumping were strong too. Most of us who watched him play agreed that the only reason he played under some of these other top pros was that he missed sometimes. Everything else he did was top tier. With that being said he has A TON of talent and everybody could see that. Fast forward and he hasn't been making waves until now. He got bashed a lot during the world 9 ball and I chuckled to myself at the people in the chat who insisted he had no game. The man is the real deal and from the looks of it is starting to come into his game and strong. I really look forward to seeing him succeed the next couple of years. If Kevin keeps making balls he will be a force to be reckoned with.

I hope he wins the US Open and continues to play strong.

ChicagoJoe
10-30-2015, 12:06 PM
What naysayers?

poolplaya1976
10-30-2015, 12:09 PM
First and foremost, for those of you who do not know Yu Hsuan Cheng goes by Kevin.

The first time I saw Kevin Cheng play he was in action at Big Tyme Billiards here in Houston. His cueball control, safety play and kicking were UNBELIEVABLE. He put people in spots and got out of spots that would have made Efren smile. His cueball control off the break and jumping were strong too. Most of us who watched him play agreed that the only reason he played under some of these other top pros was that he missed sometimes. Everything else he did was top tier. With that being said he has A TON of talent and everybody could see that. Fast forward and he hasn't been making waves until now. He got bashed a lot during the world 9 ball and I chuckled to myself at the people in the chat who insisted he had no game. The man is the real deal and from the looks of it is starting to come into his game and strong. I really look forward to seeing him succeed the next couple of years. If Kevin keeps making balls he will be a force to be reckoned with.

and the nuthugger bandwagon post of the year goes to (drumroll please) YOU

PoolBum
10-30-2015, 12:10 PM
What naysayers?

Haven't seen any on AZ.

BeiberLvr
10-30-2015, 12:11 PM
The only negative thing anyone ever said is that hes extremely slow

PoolBum
10-30-2015, 12:14 PM
The only negative thing anyone ever said is that hes extremely slow

He is methodical, but I'd much rather see a slow player shoot a .950 than a fast player shoot an .850.

BeiberLvr
10-30-2015, 12:17 PM
He is methodical, but I'd much rather see a slow player shoot a .950 than a fast player shoot an .850.

At least those who buy the finals will get their money's worth.

Drop The Rock
10-30-2015, 12:22 PM

Meanwhile I saw him play at the beginning of last year LOL!

Kevin honestly didn't seem comfortable during the W9B and he has be rated under a lot of other top pros up until now.

spartan
10-30-2015, 12:27 PM

I thinking turning point for him was when he won his biggest win, this event $30K prizemoney and beat Wu whom he had never beaten before.
Up until then it was confidence, psychological barrier for him to win bigger tourneys :D
http://alison-chang.com/kevin-cheng-and-chen-siming-crowned-in-2015-miyun-open/

Drop The Rock
10-30-2015, 12:29 PM
I thinking turning point for him was when he won his biggest win, this event $30K prizemoney and beat Wu whom he had never beaten before.
Up until then it was confidence, psychological barrier for him to win bigger tourneys :D
http://alison-chang.com/kevin-cheng-and-chen-siming-crowned-in-2015-miyun-open/

I agree completely

PoolBum
10-30-2015, 12:31 PM
At least those who buy the finals will get their money's worth.

You mean because it's a 3 DVD set?

poolplaya1976
10-30-2015, 12:37 PM
I agree completely

I saw him play a few matches this week and he has serious talent.....big favorite to win tournament right now

terryhanna
10-30-2015, 01:04 PM
Kevin has had really good success last year here in the states.

He snapped off the White Diamond and Side Pocket Open barbox events both had really big calcutta payouts.

He beat Warren Kiamco even and beat Josh Roberts giving him the 8 in 10 ball in action matches.

Kevin is the real deal he gave Richie Richeson the 8 ball on that super tight table at Buffalo's in New Orleans and i mean super tight like snooker pocket size and made the table look easy.

Table at Buffalo's here

SUPERSTAR
10-30-2015, 01:09 PM
SVB is the betting favorite!:eek:

Drop The Rock
10-30-2015, 01:20 PM
SVB is the betting favorite!:eek:

Yeah I'd agree but I'd also bump Kevin up to top 10 with his performance thus far

ga9ball
10-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Not only is Kevin a Champioship caliber player, he is a complete gentlemen on and off the table!!
He plays with a Ebony nose Franklin era South West, so he's got my vote!

Win it all Kevin, our whole household is rooting for you!!!

bral
10-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Don't forget his sweet air-stroke technique.

SUPERSTAR
10-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Yeah I'd agree but I'd also bump Kevin up to top 10 with his performance thus far

Actually, I'm kidding.
SVB is sooo yesterday's news. :D

pt109
10-30-2015, 02:04 PM

This is really strange....I don't know Kevin, but the first time I've heard his name
and naysayer used in the same sentence comes from a man who is praising him?
:shocked:

Ron Swanson
10-30-2015, 02:16 PM

Surely you jest? I'd rather see slow players taken outside and shot.

gxman
10-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Somebody can retell the story of Kevin going thru Houston(I think) and hustling Josh Roberts.

I did watch him take down the White Diamonds barbox tourney. He went thru the whole tourney unscathed.
Before this tournament I thought he was easily a level below the Ko brothers and those other Chang guys.

pt109
10-30-2015, 02:40 PM

Sometimes you got to bet on them to appreciate them.
Bergman is one those guys too....takes too long...but what a horse!

arps
10-30-2015, 02:48 PM
he just won the Miyun Open in China, against Wu Chia-Ching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIo2YR7gGSc

one stroke
10-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Meanwhile I saw him play at the beginning of last year LOL!

Kevin honestly didn't seem comfortable during the W9B and he has be rated under a lot of other top pros up until now.

Well we will see how he does in the next world event with the standard break format
It's quite obvious these breaking format have had a big effect on the tourney

PoolBum
10-30-2015, 03:09 PM

I like to see great pool playing, I don't care if a player is methodical. And quit calling me Shirley.

Badbeat13
10-30-2015, 03:55 PM
Kevin has had really good success last year here in the states.

He snapped off the White Diamond and Side Pocket Open barbox events both had really big calcutta payouts.

He beat Warren Kiamco even and beat Josh Roberts giving him the 8 in 10 ball in action matches.

Kevin is the real deal he gave Richie Richeson the 8 ball on that super tight table at Buffalo's in New Orleans and i mean super tight like snooker pocket size and made the table look easy.

Table at Buffalo's here

He must be the real deal making that table look easy.

What size are those pockets Terry, 3 1/2 inches?

Kris_b1104
10-30-2015, 04:04 PM
But can he win a race to 1.... Ah nvm.

Texas Carom Club
10-30-2015, 04:06 PM
I like to see great pool playing, I don't care if a player is methodical. And quit calling me Shirley.

Nice anothe airplane reference:thumbup:

7forlife
10-30-2015, 04:18 PM
I want to know why some "suddenly" becomes sliced bread when the win something or are working on the finals. Every single time a player does good the "top 10" statement comes up, then they disappear in the dust and it's on to the next.
Earl does good "oh looks like earls back" Jeffrey "he's the best in the world" this guy that guy every time. A true champ IMO is one who's name consistently gets mentioned, your Dennis your Darren your Shane your ok and such, Ralf is my favorite player and if he snapped something of I still would think thst he was the next new thing. It feels like bandwagoning when I see it

Jmo

jwilliams
10-30-2015, 08:31 PM
A lot of people don't realize this, but Kevin and Ko Pin-Yi (older) usually flip flopped on who the better player was back in Taiwan for several years. Kevin hasn't been performing quite up to par the last couple of years for some reason, but he is definitely able to play with the best in the world. He's also an incredibly nice guy and is very deserving of the championship.

SUPERSTAR
10-30-2015, 08:36 PM
But can he win a race to 1.... Ah nvm.

"SVB is the betting favorite in ANY race."
Heck. He's so awesome, this U.S.Open just finished, and SVB is STILL the favorite to win it!

one stroke
10-30-2015, 08:52 PM
"SVB is the betting favorite in ANY race."
Heck. He's so awesome, this U.S.Open just finished, and SVB is STILL the favorite to win it!

ys maybe but this breaking format will hinder his chances , but I'm sure him and others will be practicing this break because it certainly produced a far differant result than anyone could have expected

BJTyler747
10-30-2015, 08:52 PM
2015 US Open
2015 World 9 ball
2015 World 10 ball
2015 World Cup of Pool

All from a country of 23 million!!!

Hat's off.

jrackman
10-30-2015, 09:07 PM
This is really strange....I don't know Kevin, but the first time I've heard his name
and naysayer used in the same sentence comes from a man who is praising him?
:shocked:
spot on! looks like the op needed his name in azb lights

gxman
10-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Justin needs to get on FB and challenge the mint U.S Open 9-ball winner.

I heard last time Kevin went thru St.Louis(i think), Justin challenge Kevin, but Kevin backed down. Then Kevin roamed south and took some $ from Josh Roberts instead. Then after that, took down the White Diamonds tournament.

terryhanna
10-31-2015, 03:17 AM
Congrats to Kevin Cheng on snapping off the US Open in one of the strongest fields in the history of the event.

Kris_b1104
10-31-2015, 03:39 AM
Chinese Taipei is doing a clean sweep this year.

scttybee
10-31-2015, 09:23 AM
still looking for a naysayer.......

pt109
10-31-2015, 09:31 AM
still looking for a naysayer.......

They say Harry the Horse was a neigh sayer....does that count?

alstl
10-31-2015, 12:13 PM

I believe when Johnny Archer speeds up and isn't picking invisible lint off the table he plays better. I wonder if the shot clocked helped Cheng by forcing him to speed up a little and thereby staying focused.

Black-Balled
10-31-2015, 12:50 PM

That time of the month again for ya?