PDA

View Full Version : tips

sciarco
10-30-2015, 01:06 PM
Does anyone have any input on sniper tips how do they compare to the rest thanks.

measureman
10-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Does anyone have any input on sniper tips how do they compare to the rest thanks.

I had a sniper put on my cue.
The first time I played with it I miss cued so many times that I took a knife and cut it off.
Maybe I got a bad one. Who knows.

Shawn Armstrong
10-30-2015, 01:34 PM
One of the worst, if not the worst of the "premium" laminated tips available. I'd rather play with an Elkmaster than the Sniper. My opinion, only. I have bought them from distributors and directly from Tiger, and have yet to not have a single tip delaminate. And before someone tells me it was the installer, it wasn't. I was the installer - have worked on cues for the better part of 15 years. I can cut an Elk by hand better than I could trim a Sniper with a lathe and a fresh razor blade.

M.G.
10-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Woah :confused:

I got a Tiger LD shaft with the Sniper and my playing has take off since then (I also play Carom with my pool cue)!
It's in the sweet zone of being very comfortably medium hard, very nice feedback and excellent grip but not that whobbly hit softer leathers tend to have.
Finally I can put the white where I want it. For me accuracy has also increased by far. Chalk holds well (still chalking every 7-10 shots only), form stays.

I've started out with Cuetec R360 and Everest, then Universal with Everest - both were great at first, but got way too hard over time, so that after ~1/2 year I will have them removed because I cannot play with it anymore.

You also might want to check out the Onyx.

Cheers!

mortuarymike-nv
10-30-2015, 04:03 PM
As I write this I am installing a Sniper tip for a customer , I have had allot of problems with them delaminating.

I think there are better or equal performance laminated tips on the market now.
But until the customer is ready to try something different there is little most cue repairman can do to give good advise considering tips are a personal opinion.

That's why I have several shafts that have different brands and hardness of tips installed on these shafts.

Then I can meet up with the customer at a pool hall or bar and let the customer make up there own mind........................

9Ballr
10-30-2015, 04:17 PM
Everest all the way - of those kind of tips.
You could also look into Wizard....absolutely love those.

Rockin' Robin
10-30-2015, 04:27 PM
I have installed a fortune in sniper tips over the years, and only had one delaminate.....I attributed that one to too much heat being generated while trying to buff out the guys ferrule scratches.

I have played with almost every tip that is available on the market, and the sniper will get on the outside of the ball .....past the miscue limit ....better than any tip I have tested.

Ky Boy
10-30-2015, 04:52 PM
I've tried lots of tips over the years, including snipers. I liked them ok but it didn't blow me away. The only tips I ever used that were far and above anything I had ever played with were the original Moori's.

After testing and playing with about everything out there I went back to a simple, yet proven Elk Master. The likelihood of getting a decent tip is pretty good although, admittedly you can get some not so good.

But the low cost coupled with playability generally as good as there is around.

RiverCity
10-30-2015, 06:53 PM
The problem with Snipers is in the install. They are way too temperamental, you need to wet them as you cut them, and however you trim, the tool needs to be RAZOR sharp. Then, once you get them trimmed, if you over burnish them..... they will still delaminate.

All of that said, once you find/install a good one.......

They still usually suck...... :thumbup: