PDA

View Full Version : Cyclops cue ball defective? Whispers or proof..

thelongbomber
10-30-2015, 05:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBGz9te4J1k

Watch from 35:25

"There is a defect in the way the cue balls were made. The guy from cyclops knows about it. It's the logo. So if the logo is on the right, the cue ball goes left. He knows about it."

seven_7days
10-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Sooo...if i have a shot to my left that needs right spin with the logo on my right , i should hit it with left because the rhe is built-in?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/crazy2.gif

thelongbomber
10-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Sooo...if i have a shot to my left that needs right spin with the logo on my right , i should hit it with left because the rhe is built-in?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/crazy2.gif

Haha.. well I think his commentary wasn't quite spot on, but you can definitely see the ball not rolling true and running fast/slow in some shots. I watched the entire match and paid special attention to the cue ball after this comment from Ken

runninracks
10-30-2015, 05:38 PM
Noted and already addressed a long time ago by Mark Griffin and Cyclops.

ideologist
10-30-2015, 06:31 PM

"There is a defect in the way the cue balls were made. The guy from cyclops knows about it. It's the logo. So if the logo is on the right, the cue ball goes left. He knows about it."

Ahaha, I love how Ken whispered it on a live microphone.

lfigueroa
10-31-2015, 06:06 AM

(yawn) Old news, been over this before, keep up.

#####
Just a brief comment on the issue, on a broader note. I was talking to PS of Diamond a few weeks ago about something else and I brought up the subject of the Cyclop balls. And he mentioned the the CB rolling off in the video in the other thread (you know, the one in which KS whispers about "the problem").

It so happens that the head of Cyclop was in attendance at that event and Paul said that he and the Cyclop guy took a few CBs into a private room to experiment and sure enough, there was a problem. In Paul's words, the Cyclop guy was "mortified" and immediately picked up the phone and had a box of CBs overnighted from the factory and they replaced all the offending CBs the next day.

The explanation is complex, involving how the balls are made, percentage of phenolic, and the grinding process, but bottomline was that the Cyclop guy figured that as they expanded production, the grinding process (in between layers) had gotten out of spec. So he ordered that it be recalibrated to even higher tolerances than before.

All that is just my recollection of our conversation and if I got anything wrong that's on me, not Paul. Personally I feel that between what happened at the 8ball tournament and MG's recent offer to replace balls, I don't think anyone can question their commitment to providing us a quality product.
#####

Lou Figueroa

Bavafongoul
10-31-2015, 10:29 AM
Hmn.....sure sounds like the quality control aspect for manufacturing Cyclop pool balls needs drastic improvement..........Anyone ever heard about Aramith producing a run of defective pool balls, not just an oops on a couple of sets.........the griping and criticism about the Cyclop ball has persisted a really long time by my recollection so there has to be a lot of sets made with questionable quality, at least for the weird cue ball.

Matt B.

p.s. The quality commitment seems a little belated and after the fact......Cyclop had no option but to admit the problem and fix it........it should have never happened and it lasted a long time or so it seems......how many sets were made with defective cue balls.......send everyone that bought a set a new cue ball and that would be commitment to quality.......not closing the barn door after all the critters got out.......IMO.

lfigueroa
10-31-2015, 11:21 AM
Hmn.....sure sounds like the quality control aspect for manufacturing Cyclop pool balls needs drastic improvement..........Anyone ever heard about Aramith producing a run of defective pool balls, not just an oops on a couple of sets.........the griping and criticism about the Cyclop ball has persisted a really long time by my recollection so there has to be a lot of sets made with questionable quality, at least for the weird cue ball.

Matt B.

p.s. The quality commitment seems a little belated and after the fact......Cyclop had no option but to admit the problem and fix it........it should have never happened and it lasted a long time or so it seems......how many sets were made with defective cue balls.......send everyone that bought a set a new cue ball and that would be commitment to quality.......not closing the barn door after all the critters got out.......IMO.

Thousands of matches played over the last several years at CSI tournaments, the DCC, and other events. Thousands of sets sold across the world and in place at rooms across the country with Diamond tables.

A couple of bad CBs at one event and the problem is fixed overnight. MG offers to replace any defective balls. I think he's gotten two.

Nice try though ;-)

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled
10-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Thousands of matches played over the last several years at CSI tournaments, the DCC, and other events. Thousands of sets sold across the world and in place at rooms across the country with Diamond tables.

A couple of bad CBs at one event and the problem is fixed overnight. MG offers to replace any defective balls. I think he's gotten two.

Nice try though ;-)

Lou Figueroa

Nice try? Surely you knew the message as soon as you realized who the next poster was?

Bavafongoul
10-31-2015, 02:53 PM
This issue has existed for awhile.........I know it's been around since the first group buy of Cyclop on the Forum in April '14.......you must be kidding to imply this is a isolated, rare occurence....OMG....pleez get real?

Sounds more like there was just denial there was even a problem.........you cannot address a problem until you admit the problem exists........at least now the situation has been addressed and quality shouldn't be an issue from here on out.

lfigueroa
10-31-2015, 04:29 PM
This issue has existed for awhile.........I know it's been around since the first group buy of Cyclop on the Forum in April '14.......you must be kidding to imply this is a isolated, rare occurence....OMG....pleez get real?

Sounds more like there was just denial there was even a problem.........you cannot address a problem until you admit the problem exists........at least now the situation has been addressed and quality shouldn't be an issue from here on out.

Show me that the problem has existed for a while. Show me what you "know."

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa
10-31-2015, 04:33 PM
Nice try? Surely you knew the message as soon as you realized who the next poster was?

Yes. I knew it was stinky bait.

Lou Figueroa
can't help maself
sometimes :-)