PDA

View Full Version : Mark Wilson's Two MC Picks

Wedge
10-31-2015, 08:46 AM
Has Mark set a date when he will announce his two selections for the Mosconi Cup? Hope it is soon.

Wedge

Cuebuddy
10-31-2015, 08:49 AM
This is good. I have been waiting to make plans for December and would like to know our team.

JAM
10-31-2015, 08:51 AM
Has Mark set a date when he will announce his two selections for the Mosconi Cup? Hope it is soon.

Wedge

Are there any tournaments left before the Cup that are considered worthy of ranking?

nplum24
10-31-2015, 08:58 AM
No more point tournaments. Hopefully Mark will make the decision soon!

Mousa
10-31-2015, 09:16 AM
Are there any tournaments left before the Cup that are considered worthy of ranking?

I think not! During the US Open they announced Dechaine and Corey's spots! So in order for them to make the announcements, the ranked tournaments must be over! It makes sense I think!

kagewest
10-31-2015, 09:26 AM
You have to figure bergman is a shoe in.
Rodney
Sky ( I hope not)
Archer
Frost (my pick)

I'd be shocked if any others were considered. It's a shame Earl can't just play pool that would be a no brainer.

J Soto
10-31-2015, 09:34 AM
Rodney
Sky ( I hope not)
Archer
Frost (my pick)

I'd be shocked if any others were considered. It's a shame Earl can't just play pool that would be a no brainer.

The Captain's picks should be Bergman and Rodney. Frost would be a shoe in if they played one pocket at the Mosconi, but they don't. Has Frost ever snapped off a major rotation (9 ball or 10 ball) event?

JAM
10-31-2015, 09:44 AM
Bergman had a great Open this year. He also has the experience of being at the Cup previously. He would be a good candidate, I think.

tduncan
10-31-2015, 09:46 AM
Bergman & Archer. Archer played well without the responsibility of being Captain. He would mesh well with this group.

BRussell
10-31-2015, 09:48 AM
I'd like Bergman and Sky Woodward. Bergman is more obvious, but Sky is tied in points with Bergman, and I like the idea of building experience in the younger players, even if it means forgoing the experience of more seasoned players.

Banks
10-31-2015, 09:50 AM
The Captain's picks should be Bergman and Rodney. Frost would be a shoe in if they played one pocket at the Mosconi, but they don't. Has Frost ever snapped off a major rotation (9 ball or 10 ball) event?

According to the azb list, he's done alright in them before, but never won one outside of a tour or memorial event. At least so far as i read.

Teacherman
10-31-2015, 09:51 AM
Top 5 point getters is fine with me.

watchez
10-31-2015, 09:55 AM
The point getters is a failure to me cause there was 10 day notice that the DCC would be a MC point event. Reno didn't get much notice either.

kagewest
10-31-2015, 09:56 AM
You have to take the pressure and the team aspect into account. It's not just about snapping off a big tournament. 1 pocket or nine ball I don't care pool is pool of you can pocket balls and play posistion you can play period! I just have a gut feeling about Scott Frost!

RichSchultz
10-31-2015, 10:01 AM
I posted that I'd like to see Rodney, but was informed he is unavailable for MC due to family obligations. Bummer.

Nostroke
10-31-2015, 10:09 AM
Rodney
Sky ( I hope not)
Archer
Frost (my pick)

Frost? Is he your brother or something?

kagewest
10-31-2015, 10:18 AM
Frost? Is he your brother or something?

You guys that don't like scott only show your ignorance.

Banks
10-31-2015, 10:23 AM

Lol. Sometimes i think you say ignorant things on purpose. Then i feel like im giving you too much credit.

Offer up a bet on his next big tournament. People are more than happy to have a lock.

kagewest
10-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Lol. Sometimes i think you say ignorant things on purpose. Then i feel like im giving you too much credit.

Offer up a bet on his next big tournament. People are more than happy to have a lock.

Post less. Read and learn more.

Banks
10-31-2015, 10:39 AM
Post less. Read and learn more.

Take your own advice.

kagewest
10-31-2015, 10:41 AM
Take your own advice.

Not suprised you can't think for your self.

Banks
10-31-2015, 10:44 AM
Not suprised you can't think for your self.

You've made about 50 posts since you've "joined" this month and many of them are just nonsense. Pretty sure you're just another banned member.

Suprise, suprise.

Enjoy dumbing up this thread. :wave3:

kagewest
10-31-2015, 10:47 AM
You've made about 50 posts since you've "joined" this month and many of them are just nonsense. Pretty sure you're just another banned member.

Suprise, suprise.

Enjoy dumbing up this thread. :wave3:

The only nonsense is the time and effort I've spent chatting with you. :wave2:

tableroll
10-31-2015, 10:56 AM
I think Frost may be a little weak for the Mosconi Cup.

fathomblue
10-31-2015, 12:45 PM
It needs to be Bergman and Woodward.

The only way we'll beat Europe is to grow our players during the year AND grow them on the Mosconi experience. Justin and Sky have earned it. They both need to get seasoned on the world's stage.

The next one I'd choose would be Archer, because he's a virtual lock to give us a good showing now. But, we have to also think about us winning this over the next 5 years as well.

Anyone who thinks Sky Woodward can't hang with Europe's boys is in for a rude awakening. He's a monster on the big track and cool as a cucumber.

I think SVB, Corey, Justin, and Sky will mesh as a team VERY well. Dechaine is the wild-card, but I would hope he could settle in and do the same.

Celophanewrap
10-31-2015, 12:53 PM
Guess they figured they didn't a Mosconi Team Demi -Tour or any pre-Mosconi Cup Team building events this year?
That's too bad, it seemed to have a pretty positive effect last year

OLD NO 9
10-31-2015, 01:02 PM
10-ball or 9-ball Frost vs Woodward race to 21 best 3 out of 5 for 10 geese over two nights on one of Ray or Teacherman fight nights. If tied after 4 sets double and race to 31 on a third night. 4 1/2 by 9 only.

Which players and stakehorses that show interest in this proposal may answer a lot of questions,

Black-Balled
10-31-2015, 01:05 PM

Scott's not up to the level of the big boys in rotation games, it is true.

I don't think that bothers him a bit...I might say the old 'play you a set of each' bet favors him against anyone, except Alex.

sjm
10-31-2015, 01:07 PM
Justin Bergman is a no brainer. He's playing great and will be a huge asset to the team. His omission would be absolutely ridiculous.

Johnny Archer had a bad year and a bad US Open in which he lost 11-1 to Souquet (not really the hint we needed that he's ready to tackle Europe's best) and was eliminated by Mike Davis. If he's selected, it will be on his Mosconi record alone, and while I'd get that, I've seen little evidence in either of the past two years that he'll contribute much, and let's add that he did not contribute even a half point to the 2013 Team USA cause. Johnny is one of the best ever but his inclusion would amount to a lifetime achievement award.

Sticking with the old guard, Rodney Morris showed he's in good form, coming 13th I think, and Earl looked washed up. Still, I want to go young.

Although a solid case can be made for Justin Hall, who shone in the 2014 Mosconi Cup, his form was not especially storng at the US Open from my vantage point. Skyler Woodward is the obvious fifth choice to me. He beat YL Chang, one of the world's ten best players, at the US Open, and, I believe came 17th. That's speaks volumes to me. Oscar Dominguez, despite solid play in a tight loss against Ekonomopoulos, did not cash at the US Open, and likely played his way out of consideration.

Let's see if Mark Wilson goes young or not. A team of SVB, Corey, Dechaine, Bergman and Woodward would actually have a shot to win and would help build the pedigree of Team USA for the future. Wilson's skill in bringing along young players is rightly celebrated, and if he goes young, we'll be in pretty good shape in December.

OLD NO 9
10-31-2015, 01:18 PM

I don't think that bothers him a bit...I might say the old 'play you a set of each' bet favors him against anyone, except Alex.

Hate to burst your bubble, but SVB and Bergman rob Scott at a set of each and Justin Hall probably would try to wedge his way into the mix.

OLD NO 9
10-31-2015, 01:59 PM
Justin Bergman is a no brainer. He's playing great and will be a huge asset to the team. His omission would be absolutely ridiculous.

Johnny Archer had a bad year and a bad US Open in which he lost 11-1 to Souquet (not really the hint we needed that he's ready to tackle Europe's best) and was eliminated by Mike Davis. If he's selected, it will be on his Mosconi record alone, and while I'd get that, I've seen little evidence in either of the past two years that he'll contribute much, and let's add that he did not contribute even a half point to the 2013 Team USA cause. Johnny is one of the best ever but his inclusion would amount to a lifetime achievement award.

Sticking with the old guard, Rodney Morris showed he's in good form, coming 13th I think, and Earl looked washed up. Still, I want to go young.

Although a solid case can be made for Justin Hall, who shone in the 2014 Mosconi Cup, his form was not especially storng at the US Open from my vantage point. Skyler Woodward is the obvious fifth choice to me. He beat YL Chang, one of the world's ten best players, at the US Open, and, I believe came 17th. That's speaks volumes to me. Oscar Dominguez, despite solid play in a tight loss against Ekonomopoulos, did not cash at the US Open, and likely played his way out of consideration.

Let's see if Mark Wilson goes young or not. A team of SVB, Corey, Dechaine, Bergman and Woodward would actually have a shot to win and would help build the pedigree of Team USA for the future. Wilson's skill in bringing along young players is rightly celebrated, and if he goes young, we'll be in pretty good shape in December.

Good analysis by SJM, but don't sell Oscar short.
1) But for calling a foul on himself he beats Ekonomopoulos
2) Has been top dog of The Mezz tour West
3) Played well as a rookie on Mosconi Cup team
4) Much better player than rookie year of Mosconi Cup team
5) Can be counted on staying in the moment
6) Won't embarrass himself or team

sjm
10-31-2015, 02:08 PM

Well said. If you saw the Ekonomopoulos match, you know Oscar was out of line on that double-hill four ball after following the two in the side too far. That's why he had tough cuing on that shot, and that led to the foul. Maybe he'd have gotten out, but maybe not.

Incidentally, I am not among those that credit those who call fouls on themselves. Nearly all players do this and the few who don't are to be shunned.

Agreed that Oscar is solid, but Skyler had a better year and took down a giant of the game in YL Chang at the Open. Skyler also conducts himself admirably, but has more big wins against top players this year in big events, including a win over Dechaine at the DCC 9-ball. Give credit where credit is due. The case for Skyler is much stronger than the case for Oscar.

OLD NO 9
10-31-2015, 02:28 PM
Fully agree Stu that Skyler would be my 5 pick just wouldn't be heartbroken if it ended up being Oscar. As a matter of fact here are my picks from last year:

Pure Amateur Picks to Help Guide Mark Wilson - 10-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Pure amateur picks to help guide Mark Wilson (I’m sure he needs my input ) in his Mosconi Cup selections.

The team we will likely see:
Shane Van Boening
Justin Bergman
Justin Hall
Corey Duel
Oscar Dominguez

The team I would like to see:
Shane Van Boening
Mike Dechaine
Justin Bergman
Skyler Woodward
Justin Hall

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4925461&postcount=1

Only difference between my pick from last year is Justin Hall on mine and Corey on yours. Being that Corey has had the better year I would now go with him too.

kagewest
10-31-2015, 02:39 PM
10-ball or 9-ball Frost vs Woodward race to 21 best 3 out of 5 for 10 geese over two nights on one of Ray or Teacherman fight nights. If tied after 4 sets double and race to 31 on a third night. 4 1/2 by 9 only.

Which players and stakehorses that show interest in this proposal may answer a lot of questions,

I agree and Woodward needs to put up his own money, every penny to his name and play scott with no safety net. That's the pressure he's gonna have at the Mosconi cup and he will fold. You guys are flat nuts of you think Woodward can play with the Europe team. Let's see. Shane mike corey justin sky. Yea one of those players is not even in the same universe as the other 4! That's undisputable! Good lord people.

kagewest
10-31-2015, 02:46 PM
Mark Wilson watched sky's first round match in the open. It was embarrassing how nervous and lost his game was. The guy he was playing was terriable! No way possible after Wilson saw how sky handled that important spot could he pick him. He's not ready it's that simple. Few more years maybe.

OLD NO 9
10-31-2015, 02:54 PM
I agree and Woodward needs to put up his own money, every penny to his name and play scott with no safety net. That's the pressure he's gonna have at the Mosconi cup and he will fold. You guys are flat nuts of you think Woodward can play with the Europe team. Let's see. Shane mike corey justin sky. Yea one of those players is not even in the same universe as the other 4! That's undisputable! Good lord people.

Wonder if they play on their own dime who can put up more a 21 year old kid or someone in their forties?

I know when I was 21 I didn't have any problem playing for all I was worth problem was one day it could be a couple grand another lint.

one stroke
10-31-2015, 02:58 PM

Simply put he's not one of the best 5 infact he's probaly not one of the best 10 either

terryhanna
10-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Mark picks will be Bergman and Sky after his statement about using his picks on the players that put the time and effort to play the points events and considering Sky and Bergman finished in a tie for 4th in Mosconi Cup points.

Alex Kanapilly
10-31-2015, 03:02 PM
Rodney
Sky ( I hope not)
Archer
Frost (my pick)

You can't be serious. Frost over any of those other guys would be a crime. It's 9ball right?

kagewest
10-31-2015, 03:05 PM
Mark picks will be Bergman and Sky after his statement about using his picks on the players that put the time and effort to play the points events and considering Sky and Bergman finished in a tie for 4th in Mosconi Cup points.

So your saying our caption is going to pick players based on a points list where you finished 30th place in a tournament and you got points to decide the 2 captions picks. Hell just throw darts blind. Same thing.

Alex Kanapilly
10-31-2015, 03:06 PM

Oh, I see you were serious. I think it just shows that you're an overzealous Scott Frost fan, no one outside of AZ agrees with you. He's a good 9baller but not good enough to be on that team. If they were playing 1P, he'd be a shoe in.

kagewest
10-31-2015, 03:06 PM
You can't be serious. Frost over any of those other guys would be a crime. It's 9ball right?

I'm very serious. You guys don't have a clue how he can play rotation or shoot under pressure.

gxman
10-31-2015, 03:10 PM
Didn't Oscar beat Sky in 9b race to 80?

Alex Kanapilly
10-31-2015, 03:11 PM

Best post in the thread. Spot on.

kagewest
10-31-2015, 03:12 PM
Oh, I see you were serious. I think it just shows that you're an overzealous Scott Frost fan, no one outside of AZ agrees with you. He's a good 9baller but not good enough to be on that team. If they were playing 1P, he'd be a shoe in.

And no I'm not an overzealous frost fan I'm a fan of winning! I want the best team period!

Alex Kanapilly
10-31-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm very serious. You guys don't have a clue how he can play rotation or shoot under pressure.

No, we do.
Like I said, he's good, but not good enough at 9ball. You're just a big fan I'm guessing. Nothing wrong with that but it clouds your judgement.
It would be a bad selection based on merit.

Celtic
10-31-2015, 03:19 PM
And no I'm not an overzealous frost fan I'm a fan of winning! I want the best team period!

In that case Scott ain't on it.

I am pretty sure Scott can get played for big money in a long set in 9-ball if he wanted to try Sky. I am also pretty positive the Action Room will be tripping over each other trying to get even action on Sky.

Even if you skipped Sky, do you really think Frost has a prayer of getting picked over someone like Rodney? Do you think Frost wants to gamble even big money sets against Rodney in rotation pool? He would get robbed in 9-ball or 10-ball against Rodney.

kagewest
10-31-2015, 03:20 PM
In that case Scott ain't on it.

I am pretty sure Scott can get played for big money in a long set in 9-ball if he wanted to try Sky. I am also pretty positive the Action Room will be tripping over each other trying to get even action on Sky.

Even if you skipped Sky, do you really think Frost has a prayer of getting picked over someone like Rodney? Do you think Frost wants to gamble even big money sets against Rodney in rotation pool? He would get robbed in 9-ball or 10-ball against Rodney.

Maybe he will chime in and speak for his self. I'm done listening to your smoke.

Alex Kanapilly
10-31-2015, 03:31 PM

OK, so why would you want Frost then? This isn't a high stakes one pocket match.

You said in another post that picking Skylar and Bergman based on points (which means they did well in 9ball tournaments) is like picking by throwing darts. What kind of sense does that make? They are both playing great, they are young and talented, and they BOTH play better 9ball than Frost.

Your earlier argument that the game doesn't matter is just silly. If that were the case, Frost wouldn't be soooo much better at one pocket than he is at any other game. Just look at the history.

Celtic
10-31-2015, 03:36 PM
Maybe he will chime in and speak for his self. I'm done listening to your smoke.

That is fine. I have been a fan of Scott for close to two decades. I have always liked to watch him play and have seen him gambles tons both on video and in person. I would rather watch Scott play than Rodney or Sky, but if I am betting on a match that has Scott playing either of those guys my money is not being bet on Scott.

If Scott is the phenom you think he is in rotation pool why does he never win the big events? Why was he obliterated in the US Open while Sky beats Yu Lung Chang and comes back from 10-6 down to beat Majid?

Sky actually won some decent matches in the US Open. Scott? Not so much.

You can talk and post all you want, results are what matters at the end of the day and Scott has none of note in rotation pool.

OLD NO 9
10-31-2015, 03:39 PM

I really hate this because over the last couple years my opinion of Scott has gone dramatically upwards, that said I doubt Scott's backers want anything to do with Skyler in rotation games.

watchez
10-31-2015, 03:41 PM
Oscar -- he plays on a big table more than anyone and has success against tough competition. Plus he beat Sky on a big table, after Oscar had played a tournament the weekend before, drove straight to Vega$, played Bergman a race to 100 and then played Sky a race to 100. He even faded the dinner break put on him by Ozzy and Big Truck.

Beyond that there is no one in pool that has more of a combination of class and skill that Oscar has.

OLD NO 9
10-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Oscar -- he plays on a big table more than anyone and has success against tough competition. Plus he beat Sky on a big table, after Oscar had played a tournament the weekend before, drove straight to Vega$, played Bergman a race to 100 and then played Sky a race to 100. He even faded the dinner break put on him by Ozzy and Big Truck.

Beyond that there is no one in pool that has more of a combination of class and skill that Oscar has.

I seem to remember Oscar, being the stand up guy he is, taking a share of the blame for the ppv mix-up and proposing the long dinner break as a solution. Also wasn't Skyler the one that was adamantly against the dinner break?

Johnnyt
10-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Find 5 top players that care more about the title than the money. Those will be your winners. Johnnyt

poolplaya1976
10-31-2015, 04:33 PM
Rodney
Sky ( I hope not)
Archer
Frost (my pick)

frost??????? he cant beat anybody man......he is not even close to a top tier usa player.....that is craziest pick I have seen in a while

poolplaya1976
10-31-2015, 04:35 PM
I'd like Bergman and Sky Woodward. Bergman is more obvious, but Sky is tied in points with Bergman, and I like the idea of building experience in the younger players, even if it means forgoing the experience of more seasoned players.

you read my mind.....I think these 2 are great picks

poolplaya1976
10-31-2015, 04:37 PM

whoa.....scott is a great one pocket player and sucks at 9 ball.....you have shown your ignorance actually:eek:

poolplaya1976
10-31-2015, 04:42 PM

against alex? lmao.....alex isn't a contender anymore.....the only time I saw alex do anything special this past week is when he was drunk a couple nights ago to the point he couldn't walk and someone was carrying him out of the hotel.....alex is yesterday's news I am afraid

poolplaya1976
10-31-2015, 04:47 PM

agree completely......hall struggled badly and barely beat steve moore....no offense to moore but he isn't a top tier player......his hand shakes something unreal and has problems finishing matches off

poolplaya1976
10-31-2015, 04:52 PM
So your saying our caption is going to pick players based on a points list where you finished 30th place in a tournament and you got points to decide the 2 captions picks. Hell just throw darts blind. Same thing.

who is caption of the team this year? mark right?:yikes:

poolplaya1
10-31-2015, 05:11 PM
It's already been said, but ANYBODY but frost. Seriously. Rather have mark wilson play than frost.

Someone earned their spot on my ignore list this thread.

the Professor
10-31-2015, 06:23 PM
Well said. If you saw the Ekonomopoulos match, you know Oscar was out of line on that double-hill four ball after following the two in the side too far. That's why he had tough cuing on that shot, and that led to the foul. Maybe he'd have gotten out, but maybe not.

Incidentally, I am not among those that credit those who call fouls on themselves. Nearly all players do this and the few who don't are to be shunned.

Agreed that Oscar is solid, but Skyler had a better year and took down a giant of the game in YL Chang at the Open. Skyler also conducts himself admirably, but has more big wins against top players this year in big events, including a win over Dechaine at the DCC 9-ball. Give credit where credit is due. The case for Skyler is much stronger than the case for Oscar.

I like Skyler's game a lot, but I think the obvious choice for the 5th spot is Rodney. Yea, he had a bit of an attitude during his last MC trip (and that may be understating it a bit), but there was a ton of negative energy emitted from other team members and the negative momentum just took off. I think being surrounded by a much more positive group (which I believe this will be) will keep Rodney more calm and allow him to just play his game.

Hungarian
10-31-2015, 06:54 PM
Bergman yes. Sky's not ready. I have way more confidence is Justin Hall just because I know what he's capable of and he's proved it. His game fits a shot clock, he has experience. He's more of a team player that Sky.

But yes, he's low on the points board. But still he's got experience and will not crack under pressure.

Sky will get his chance, but it shouldn't be this year.

We will see if Mark has the courage to use his picking authority and not simply go by points.

Teacherman
10-31-2015, 06:58 PM
I can assure you this is not a courage battle.

Hungarian
10-31-2015, 07:03 PM
What I was trying to say is there was a bunch of second guessing and criticism directed towards Mark about not picking Dechaine last year. I think most people think that was a mistake.

So I just hope Mark doesn't take the easy way out and pick on points.

It would take balls on his part to pick Scott or to pick Justin Hall.

j_zippel
10-31-2015, 07:20 PM
SVB
Berg
Deuel
Dechaine
Hall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hungarian
10-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Exactly correct..

SVB
Berg
Deuel
Dechaine
Hall

j_zippel
10-31-2015, 07:25 PM
Exactly correct..

Thank you. That should have been the lineup last year. Hall hasn't had the best showing this year but last mosconi cup he was their strongest player In my opinion

one stroke
10-31-2015, 07:29 PM
What I was trying to say is there was a bunch of second guessing and criticism directed towards Mark about not picking Dechaine last year. I think most people think that was a mistake.

I don't see how Frost is even in the conversation and I like him but he's just not a top tier rotation player period

the Professor
10-31-2015, 07:29 PM

I have no clue why he would even consider taking Scott to play at the MC? I don't think his record on big table rotation events warrants a consideration for the MC this year. He's a great player, but there are several players in my opinion that would be much better fits for this format than Scott.

Hungarian
10-31-2015, 07:37 PM
Agree, but others were saying Scott. Scott would be a great team mate and some think he might be to answer.

I have no clue why he would even consider taking Scott to play at the MC? I don't think his record on big table rotation events warrants a consideration for the MC this year. He's a great player, but there are several players in my opinion that would be much better fits for this format than Scott.

j_zippel
10-31-2015, 07:56 PM
Agree, but others were saying Scott. Scott would be a great team mate and some think he might be to answer.

Scott Frost playing BONUS BALL was a touch bossy with Tommy Kennedy, his teammate. I get what your saying, Sort of agree but I just don't think he's the piece to the puzzle

Zphix
10-31-2015, 07:56 PM
To my knowledge, alot has been going on for Hall this year that's taken him away from being able to focus on pool this year. He missed a few MC point events and that reflects in his low points-standing.

I'm a big J. Hall fan - just adding some new info to the mix. I think he was the strongest MC player last year and I'd take him over Rodney or Sky or Scott.

PhilosopherKing
10-31-2015, 08:14 PM
I think Oscar should play, and Sky should be invited as a "non-playing" team member.

Teacherman
10-31-2015, 08:57 PM
The courage nonsense and the 'easy way out' nonsense is ridiculous. Mark Wilson is the captain and he will pick who he believes will gives us the best chance to win. His opinion of who is ready is the only opinion that counts. Your opinion that Skylar is not ready doesn't mean he's not ready and doesn't mean it would be a bad choice. After all, in the system they set up to choose the team, Skylar out performed your choices. Your thoughts are simply your opinion.

Mark's counts. Yours doesn't.

Putting some kind of "I know better than Mark" arrogance on this topic is laughable. He was chosen for the job. You weren't.

If you get chosen you'll have your chance.

I saw Skylar defeat both Morris and Archer on a big table in June. I saw Skylar show a tremendous amount of fight and heart in his match with Oscar. He won a big table Tmnt in Texas. He out performed all but 3 players in the point race. Don't let the facts interfere with your opinion.

Just to be clear, I think all the remaining choices are qualified and worthy selections and I trust Mark's judgement.

BRussell
10-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Scott Frost playing BONUS BALL was a touch bossy with Tommy Kennedy, his teammate. I get what your saying, Sort of agree but I just don't think he's the piece to the puzzle

I was watching that when my daughter stopped to watch for a few minutes and said "why is that big guy being mean to that little guy?"

jasonlaus
10-31-2015, 09:45 PM

Then you should never mention Frost!
If a plane carrying the 5 best US players crashed, Frost still shouldnt be mentioned.

poolplaya1
10-31-2015, 10:10 PM
Skylar or Hall

Anyone else weakens the team. Both guys would play well and be good additions to the team.

PINKLADY
10-31-2015, 10:47 PM

Apparently a number of posters have no clue about Rodney's last appearance at the Mosconi Cup. Might want to ask Barry Hearn if Rodney will ever be allowed to play in another one. ;)

Find 5 top players that care more about the title than the money. Those will be your winners. Johnnyt

it was my understanding that Mark took this position immediately following Mosconi Vegas 2013, under the premise of CHANGE, and ETHICS. while BH will undoubtedly have the override on the 2 unannounced wildcards, i'm sure that they should meld with Mark's choices.

Hungarian
10-31-2015, 10:53 PM
I get you. You keep it real and go hard on the internet no matter what. You are a no nonsense kind of salt of the earth business man. You struggle when it comes to negotiations and marketing. But you are in there swinging for the fences. You aim to throttle.

Regarding Justin Hall, he has tremendous experience in that level of grease and preformed very well his rookie year. That's the basis for my opinion.

Skylar might shine under the bright lights his debut year. But his cue might get heavy like many other first timers.

Beautiful part of a forum community is the opportunity to express your opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts.

The courage nonsense and the 'easy way out' nonsense is ridiculous. Mark Wilson is the captain and he will pick who he believes will gives us the best chance to win. His opinion of who is ready is the only opinion that counts. Your opinion that Skylar is not ready doesn't mean he's not ready and doesn't mean it would be a bad choice. After all, in the system they set up to choose the team, Skylar out performed your choices. Your thoughts are simply your opinion.

Putting some kind of "I know better than Mark" arrogance on this topic is laughable. He was chosen for the job. You weren't.

I saw Skylar defeat both Morris and Archer on a big table in June. I saw Skylar show a tremendous amount of fight and heart in his match with Oscar. He won a big table Tmnt in Texas. He out performed all but 3 players in the point race. Don't let the facts interfere with your opinion.

Just to be clear, I think all the remaining choices are qualified and worthy selections and I trust Mark's judgement.

kagewest
10-31-2015, 11:23 PM
I thought fisherman were the most knowledgeable idiots on earth. This thread has proved me wrong. I hope you guys play better pool than your pool IQ because it's god awful!

kagewest
10-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Then you should never mention Frost!
If a plane carrying the 5 best US players crashed, Frost still shouldnt be mentioned.

You sir are an idiot. Period!
If you own pool cues sell them just quit. You will do the world a favor!

Hungarian
10-31-2015, 11:28 PM
Man, why's errbody so tilted tonight?

kagewest
10-31-2015, 11:35 PM
I get you. You keep it real and go hard on the internet no matter what. You are a no nonsense kind of salt of the earth business man. You struggle when it comes to negotiations and marketing. But you are in there swinging for the fences. You aim to throttle.

Regarding Justin Hall, he has tremendous experience in that level of grease and preformed very well his rookie year. That's the basis for my opinion.

Skylar might shine under the bright lights his debut year. But his cue might get heavy like many other first timers.

Beautiful part of a forum community is the opportunity to express your opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts.

Dear god u saw sky beat them on a big table? Was it in person? Was it one time or 2? Just once? Like a race to 9 in pool? And the better player lost? You must be joking. Yea point proven!

Hungarian
10-31-2015, 11:40 PM
Trick or treat mother ****ers

Dear god u saw sky beat them on a big table? Was it in person? Was it one time or 2? Just once? Like a race to 9 in pool? And the better player lost? You must be joking. Yea point proven!

david(tx)
10-31-2015, 11:40 PM

Have the entire Mosconi Cup team , whoever they are , play Jonathan Hennessee Pinegar , Eric Durbin and Tim Heath in a race to 11 individually in front of Mark Wilson as a warm up for the Mosconi Cup to test their metal before final selection

Busboy
11-01-2015, 03:10 AM
Mark said the last two picks will be based on the points so that being said looks like our team is Shane , Mike , Corey , Justin , Sky and imo I'm happy with that line up I think we got good shot with this team go USA

pro9dg
11-01-2015, 03:17 AM
I think that even without reference to any ranking list then Mark's team selection would coincide with the Final Five as published.

It is a raging certainty that Sky will be a long term contender in any future US team.
He is ready now and even if he was not quite up to the mark, he needs to be blooded.

There is no sense in picking senior players 'to act as nannies'.

Mark has all the support bases covered himself - no need to call on Yesterday's Men.

They may not win it this year but they will have advanced a lot further down the road.

JAM
11-01-2015, 03:20 AM
I think that even without reference to any ranking list then Mark's team selection would coincide with the Final Five as published.

It is a raging certainty that Sky will be a long term contender in any future US team.
He is ready now and even if he was not quite up to the mark, he needs to be blooded.

There is no sense in picking senior players 'to act as nannies'.

Mark has all the support bases covered himself - no need to call on Yesterday's Men.

They may not win it this year but they will have advanced a lot further down the road.

I do agree with this school of thought, Doug. It's time to let the New Kids on the Block sow their oats. Bergman is definitely worthy of being on this team, IMO.

Team Euro has a New Kid on the Block for their team this year with Ouschan.

It will also be nice that Team USA will be on American soil. I know that may not give them the edge, but it is more comfortable for them than traveling over to your side of the pond. :D

jasonlaus
11-01-2015, 05:57 AM

Doubt you could afford them.

HelloBaby-
11-01-2015, 06:41 AM
I do agree with this school of thought, Doug. It's time to let the New Kids on the Block sow their oats. Bergman is definitely worthy of being on this team, IMO.

Team Euro has a New Kid on the Block for their team this year with Ouschan.

It will also be nice that Team USA will be on American soil. I know that may not give them the edge, but it is more comfortable for them than traveling over to your side of the pond. :D

That's new "kid" happened to be w9bc runner up last year, former world no.1, and current china open winner. So it's not really comparable :)

JAM
11-01-2015, 06:42 AM
That's new "kid" happened to be w9bc runner up last year, former world no.1, and current china open winner. So it's not really comparable :)

True dat. I'm going by age, I guess. :embarrassed2:

Kris_b1104
11-01-2015, 07:31 AM

How are you not banned?

Kickin' Chicken
11-01-2015, 07:48 AM
for the love of sweet baby Jesus, it's shoo-in, not shoe-in. :angry:

Like, if Justin Bergman isn't a shoo-in it would be scandalous.

as compared to:

if Justin Bergman isn't a shoe-in it would be sandalous.

class dismissed. :grin:

best,
brian kc

JAM
11-01-2015, 07:54 AM
for the love of sweet baby Jesus, it's shoo-in, not shoe-in. :angry:

Like, if Justin Bergman isn't a shoo-in it would be scandalous.

as compared to:

if Justin Bergman isn't a shoe-in it would be sandalous.

class dismissed. :grin:

best,
brian kc

I like this post but for reasons that have nothing to do with pool. :grin-square:

Kris_b1104
11-01-2015, 10:18 AM
No most of the redicilious opinions on this thread are what's a joke. If you can't handle reading then stop! Geniuses are rarely agreed with, people don't have the intellect to comprehend it. I'm use to it. You should be to!

Do you even school?

I find it ironic that you're speaking of geniuses and intellect and you can't even form a proper sentence.

jasonlaus
11-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Do you even school?

I find it ironic that you're speaking of geniuses and intellect and you can't even form a proper sentence.

Dont forget "too" on the end lol

pro9dg
11-01-2015, 10:36 AM
But what is the plural of GENIUS?

Zphix
11-01-2015, 10:36 AM
No most of the redicilious opinions on this thread are what's a joke. If you can't handle reading then stop! Geniuses are rarely agreed with, people don't have the intellect to comprehend it. I'm use to it. You should be to!

Used*
Too*
Ridiculous*

I'm guessing you throw around the term "genius" pretty loosely.

JAM
11-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Genii, but of course. :grin-square:

SUPERSTAR
11-01-2015, 11:24 AM
If the Mosconi cup were a 1Pocket event, sure, add Frost to the list.

But it's a 9ball tournament.

Adding Frost to the list when there are plenty of better 9ball players out there is just retarded. You don't have to be a part of Mensa to figure that one out.:rolleyes:
LOL

dardusm
11-01-2015, 11:25 AM

What does plural mean? Without trying to feed the troll, I'm looking forward to watching the cup live this year. I like the team of SVB, Dechaine, Deuel, Bergman, and Woodward. But wouldn't have any issues with Hall or even Dominguez chosen.

I like Frost and think that he could provide a spark ala Dennis Hatch a few years ago but with the future in mind, I would rather go younger.

OLD NO 9
11-01-2015, 11:39 AM
What does plural mean? Without trying to feed the troll, I'm looking forward to watching the cup live this year. I like the team of SVB, Dechaine, Deuel, Bergman, and Woodward. But wouldn't have any issues with Hall or even Dominguez chosen.

I like Frost and think that he could provide a spark ala Dennis Hatch a few years ago but with the future in mind, I would rather go younger.

Pretty much how I feel.

Zphix
11-01-2015, 11:41 AM
I've got an idea.

Let AZB nominate 16 players to play in the MC and have them fight it out. Race to 1, single elimination. 3 second shot clock, and all cues cannot exceed 58 inches in length.

Why argue about things that you have no control over.....?

JoeyA
11-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Besides #1 & #5, and talent to boot, Oscar regularly conducts himself as a PROFESSIONAL and doesn't specifically try to use social media in acquiring a Mosconi Cup position.

If you want to be a USA Mosconi Cup member, walk the walk, even when others aren't watching. Don't toot your own horn on social media because that's all you got as it makes you look counterfeit.

Good character and integrity speaks volumes. Oscar has that and talent in large measure.

JoeyA

JoeyA
11-01-2015, 11:59 AM

Yes, but that's sometimes difficult to determine with the dog and pony show that goes on in social media.

Candidly though, this is a nice sum of money for the players to be chasing, imo.

I prefer the players to just play their best all year long and act like professionals even when no one is watching. Oscar does that day in day out.

Oh yeah, btw, (just in case you didn't know) I am an Oscar Dominguez fan and especially because he has all of the things needed in a USA Mosconi Cup Team Member. :wink:

JoeyA

wrickyb
11-01-2015, 01:55 PM
I think we can expect the announcement tomorrow Monday the 2nd or no later than Tuesday the 3rd. I'm sure Mark will make great choices.

Wedge
11-01-2015, 02:22 PM
I think we can expect the announcement tomorrow Monday the 2nd or no later than Tuesday the 3rd. I'm sure Mark will make great choices.

109 comments and 3,614 hits and someone finally tried to answer my original question when I started this thread!

Thanks

Wedge

sjm
11-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Personally, I think all this chemistry stuff is mostly nonsense. As we saw at the Rio in 2014, Dechaine and Deuel made an excellent team in their win over Reyes and Bustamante in what I believe was called the OB1 challenge. Good players find a way to mesh.

It is in singles where Team USA has been absolutely awful, and for once, we have a chance to send a team that can perform in singles. I don't care whether they talk to each other or root for each other --- they need to focus on taking care of business when they are playing alone against elite players.

We've done OK in doubles and I'm sure we'll do so again. Our chances in the Mosconi comes down to singles, and just two team members have regularly beaten the stars of Europe and that's SVB and Dechaine.

Everyone else, to me, has to step it up. Hall did last year, and we'll need either Bergman or Deuel to follow suit. We know both are capable. Hopefully, we'll pick a fifth that has some big wins over top players over the past year or two.

Anyone who thinks Archer or Oscar belongs should consider hig character guy Mike Davis, who eliminated both of them at the just-completed US Open.

If this was about character, Mark Wilson would not want SVB on the team based on his a) unscrewing mid-match at the World 10-ball Championship and b) no-show for a televised quarterfinal in the US Open 10-ball. It's not about character, though, but about great pool and who has demonstrated they can play it in the biggest spots.

SUPERSTAR
11-01-2015, 04:00 PM
If this was about character, Mark Wilson would not want SVB on the team based on his a) unscrewing mid-match at the World 10-ball Championship and b) no-show for a televised quarterfinal in the US Open 10-ball.

Or missing a ball and shoving the balls for the match.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zblT4Sya1ik
57:00

justadub
11-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Rodney is on Facebook bellyaching about the cup already, saying he's gonna put on a "Missconi" cup with teams made up of people not on either team. The two teams he proposes indeed look strong, its just his usual attitude in the thread that cements my opinion of him....

At one point he had the gall to say that The Mosconi process is now a "good old boy network". Really. Him. I'm only friended so I can read his latest, but I would loved to have called him on that.....good old boy network? How about him and CW, JA etc, over the past decade?

Wow.............

poolplaya1976
11-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Rodney is on Facebook bellyaching about the cup already, saying he's gonna put on a "Missconi" cup with teams made up of people not on either team. The two teams he proposes indeed look strong, its just his usual attitude in the thread that cements my opinion of him....

At one point he had the gall to say that The Mosconi process is now a "good old boy network". Really. Him. I'm only friended so I can read his latest, but I would loved to have called him on that.....good old boy network? How about him and CW, JA etc, over the past decade?

Wow.............
all Rodney does is cry, I am used to it......if he played as well as he cried he would be as good as cheng :eek:

poolplaya1976
11-01-2015, 04:11 PM

you're gramer and speling make you look lice a real genuis

OLD NO 9
11-01-2015, 04:19 PM

Please report back if Scott is on Rodney's "Missconi" cup team?

I've grown to like Scott so this is nothing personal.

Celtic
11-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Personally, I think all this chemistry stuff is mostly nonsense. As we saw at the Rio in 2014, Dechaine and Deuel made an excellent team in their win over Reyes and Bustamante in what I believe was called the OB1 challenge. Good players find a way to mesh.

I disagree with that. Two of the best players from the USA matched up in the World Cup of Pool and proved to be completely terrible as a team.

Dechaine and Deuel worked because they had respect for each other and Deuel's relaxed style helped calm Dechaine's more tense stance at the table. They proved to be a very effective team.

SVB by all accounts is a better player then Deuel, but unlike Deuel SVB managed to pressure up Dechaine and controlled his game and anyone who watched their World Cup match could see it hurt both of their games in the long run.

The Mosconi Cup is not simply singles matches, there are a lot of team matches and the team that wants to win the cup needs to have good teams with good chemistry that make each player on the team play to the best of their ability.

Two great champions would "not" make the best "team". Sigel and Mosconi are two of the greatest in history, if they played scotch doubles it would be a disaster as their egos would clash like crazy. They would not both each make each other shoot better, their personalities would clash and they would both shoot worse than they do in singles.

fat Albert
11-01-2015, 05:01 PM
With all due respect my friend SJM i believe the record will show in 2012 in London Johnny came back from 3 1 or 4 2 against Karl Boyes the last day to set up a USA possible victory. Mike lost both singles matches against Neils 5 0 Vand den Berg 5 2 with score 10 9 and missed at least 2 shots he is not suppose to miss. could have tied at 10 10 and . USA lost 11 to 9 .

Having attended the last two Mosconi cups in Las Vegas there is plenty of opinions and blame, but it comes down to stepping up when it is game on and we have failed to accomplish that . There are at least ten players that would and could be quality picks. Whether they perform is another thing.

lfigueroa
11-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Personally, I think all this chemistry stuff is mostly nonsense.

I'm surprised to see you say that. I believe anyone who has played on a team, two-man or more, knows different regardless of the outcome or how it looks.

Lou Figueroa

fat Albert
11-01-2015, 07:03 PM
For what it's worth a very good friend of mine and multi time Ryder Cup Team member / Player said in his opinion the chemistry is more important than the Captain.

poolplaya1976
11-01-2015, 07:05 PM
For what it's worth a very good friend of mine and multi time Ryder Cup Team member / Player said in his opinion the chemistry is more important than the Captain.

is that player webb simpson?

fat Albert
11-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Sorry but wouldn't tell you if it was or wasn't,. Private conversation comparing similarities and struggles of both Mosconi and Ryder Cup

poolplaya1976
11-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Sorry but wouldn't tell you if it was or wasn't,. Private conversation comparing similarities and struggles of both Mosconi and Ryder Cup

i knew it was webb....i can ask him we are buddies

fat Albert
11-01-2015, 07:38 PM
I do not know Webb Simpson so you are wrong and since you know him ask him and you will find out for yourself that he doesn't know me and I don't know him . On a side note it really doesn't matter who it was. Multiple Ryder Cups or multiple Mosconi cups should lend a little credibility to their thoughts

DaFish
11-01-2015, 11:27 PM
get shuff on the team again

Grantstew
11-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Bergman and Archer without a doubt.

2nd best player in the US and your best active Mosconi Cup player.

Horses for courses guys...

(Plus if you follow Johnny, you'll see he is playing better recently than he has for quite a few years, snapping off a tournament by beating Orcullo in the final, and also taking some notable scalps on the way to 4th in another)

On a side note, delighted that my buddy Nick was picked for Europe :)

ososlow
11-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Just announced that Bergman is the 4th on Mosconi cups facebook page.

BRussell
11-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Just announced that Bergman is the 4th on Mosconi cups facebook page.

Yeah, that was the easiest call. The last one will be more interesting. Mark could just go with points and get a terrific young player, but with less experience, or he could use his own judgment and go outside of the points ranking.

BasementDweller
11-02-2015, 07:46 AM
get shuff on the team again

I see you're rooting for Europe.

(((Satori)))
11-02-2015, 08:02 AM
Bergman and Archer without a doubt.

2nd best player in the US and your best active Mosconi Cup player.

Horses for courses guys...

(Plus if you follow Johnny, you'll see he is playing better recently than he has for quite a few years, snapping off a tournament by beating Orcullo in the final, and also taking some notable scalps on the way to 4th in another)

On a side note, delighted that my buddy Nick was picked for Europe :)

Archer is still in winners side of the Steinway classic too I believe.

He not only has the game but he has the personality too. I would pick Archer for sure.

Teacherman
11-02-2015, 08:03 AM
If experience was all it's cracked up to be no one would have ever won.

j_zippel
11-02-2015, 08:03 AM
I see you're rooting for Europe.

Lol. Exactly. Oscar should be considered before shuff. Either take sky or hall. If you want experience take archer or Morris.

BasementDweller
11-02-2015, 08:07 AM
I find the idea of "going young" to be almost comical.

SVB 32
Deuel 37
Dechaine 28
Bergman 28

Being a young champion pool player used to mean that your were in your teens.

Anyway, the whole idea of going young simply for the sake of going young is a losing proposition. But I guess it doesn't really matter because apparently in the U.S. we only have 1 even remotely qualified truly young player.

So -- I don't think age should have anything to do with the selection criteria since I see no reason to believe that a younger player will do better in the Mosconi Cup environment than an older one will.

I also think that there's one style of play that is better suited for the Mosconi Cup than all the others and that's the grinder. The guy that can grind out each and every shot does better in this environment than does the thoroughbred. I think this is way SVB hasn't fared all that well in the Mosconi Cup over the years. He's the sort of player that needs to run free and play loose. In that environment he shines. His top game may be unparalleled in the world today. Unfortunately for him, the Mosconi Cup is not about how good someone's top game is. It's much more about how good a player's B game is.

So if I were captain and I actually wanted to bring home the Cup this year I would select Johnny Archer. His style of play is perfectly suited for the Mosconi Cup and he has proven it more than once.

jchance
11-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Justin Hall doesn't seem to be getting much of a mention on this thread, but along with Bergman he was seen as the top USA performer in the 2014 MC. How's he been getting on this year?

nplum24
11-02-2015, 09:13 AM
I find the idea of "going young" to be almost comical.

SVB 32
Deuel 37
Dechaine 28
Bergman 28

Being a young champion pool player used to mean that your were in your teens.

Anyway, the whole idea of going young simply for the sake of going young is a losing proposition. But I guess it doesn't really matter because apparently in the U.S. we only have 1 even remotely qualified truly young player.

So -- I don't think age should have anything to do with the selection criteria since I see no reason to believe that a younger player will do better in the Mosconi Cup environment than an older one will.

I also think that there's one style of play that is better suited for the Mosconi Cup than all the others and that's the grinder. The guy that can grind out each and every shot does better in this environment than does the thoroughbred. I think this is way SVB hasn't fared all that well in the Mosconi Cup over the years. He's the sort of player that needs to run free and play loose. In that environment he shines. His top game may be unparalleled in the world today. Unfortunately for him, the Mosconi Cup is not about how good someone's top game is. It's much more about how good a player's B game is.

So if I were captain and I actually wanted to bring home the Cup this year I would select Johnny Archer. His style of play is perfectly suited for the Mosconi Cup and he has proven it more than once.

I totally agree with your thoughts on this. With that being said, that is why I would not discount Sky. I have watched this kid for years and he won't go down with out a fight. He is a grinder!! Tough call between him and Archer.....experience at Mosconi is where Archer has the edge.

Zphix
11-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Justin Hall doesn't seem to be getting much of a mention on this thread, but along with Bergman he was seen as the top USA performer in the 2014 MC. How's he been getting on this year?

He hasn't been doing that well this year.

To my knowledge, a lot has been happening in his personal life this year that pulled him away from pool for a while. He missed a few MC point events and that's why he's ranked low on the list.

Again, that's only to my knowledge and if it's true then I think Mark Wilson should weigh that in when he makes his 2 decisions.

ososlow
11-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Sky Woodward is the final pick. Go USA! I've got a good feeling about this year. Probably because I'll be there! Can't wait!

Celophanewrap
11-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Weren't there a few "Pre-Mosconi" team type events last year?
I suppose the American team did so well last year that they didn't feel like anything to team build or generate some team chemistry was necessary.

Kris_b1104
11-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Weren't there a few "Pre-Mosconi" team type events last year?
I suppose the American team did so well last year that they didn't feel anything to team build or generate some team chemistry wasn't necessary.

What exactly did those pre-Mosconi team events do for them? They had like 10 months to prepare together and got slaughtered. Everyone already respects each other on this team, and are all grown men, there is no need for that. There is no animosity or tension between any of the members.

Stew_Pidaso
11-02-2015, 10:49 AM
There will be a few yet this year. Hard to do as much as last year considering Mark could not know his team until after the U.S. Open. I know they are scheduled to do an event here in St. Louis on December 2nd at Ballpark Village. I believe they are going to try at least one other, but hard to say depending on their schedules and such short notice of actual team.

Celophanewrap
11-02-2015, 10:59 AM
What exactly did those pre-Mosconi team events do for them? They had like 10 months to prepare together and got slaughtered. Everyone already respects each other on this team, and are all grown men, there is no need for that. There is no animosity or tension between any of the members.

You got it all wrong, "slaughtered" was the year before when it was 11-2, last year they were only "decisively beaten" 11-5. With some team building the could be "respectable" this year 11-7 or 11- 8, maybe next year "heart broken" 11-9 or 11-10, then in 2017 the Euros better watch out.
I would love for the Americans to win, but more than that I would love for a drunken Karl Boyes to try and pick a fight with Jose Aldo or Donald Cerrone.

Kris_b1104
11-02-2015, 11:04 AM
You got it all wrong, "slaughtered" was the year before when it was 11-2, last year they were only "decisively beaten" 11-5. With some team building the could be "respectable" this year 11-7 or 11- 8, maybe next year "heart broken" 11-9 or 11-10, then in 2017 the Euros better watch out.
I would love for the Americans to win, but more than that I would love for a drunken Karl Boyes to try and pick a fight with Jose Aldo or Donald Cerrone.

Both years seemed like a slaughter to me. A difference of a mere 3 games the next year is not much. I think they will definitely have a more respectable showing, win or lose. And the score will be much closer than the previous years. I am being a tad optimistic because I'm actually going to be there this year, so take it for what it's worth.

sjm
11-02-2015, 06:02 PM
I'm surprised to see you say that. I believe anyone who has played on a team, two-man or more, knows different regardless of the outcome or how it looks.

Lou Figueroa

Yes, but this is not a team in the sense of sports. This is not a team that lives together, travels together at length, and competes together often. It is, and always has been, an impromptu gathering of top talent and the matter of chemistry was something I never heard mentioned in the first seventeen Mosconi Cups. It was only when the 2013 team, which was not picked by America but instead by Matchroom alone, played with an unprecedented lack of cohesion that the chemistry issue was discussed at all.

As I've said before, Team USA has struggled largely in singles and has performed just fine in doubles. If we're gonna win it's gonna be because of how our guys play when they compete alone. Do you think these seasoned veterans who customarily play with a minimal fanfare can't perform without great support from onlookers? If so, you are mistaken. Mosconi winners pocket as much as they'd typically win by winning five tournaments on US soil. Anyone who thinks these guys need more than the money to motivate them is overlooking just how little the pro pool player in America typically earns.

Chemistry is huge in team sports, but not so much in an impromptu exhibition of players who will disband when the exhibition is over. Yes, it matters, but the Mosconi is won with great play, not great teamwork.

lfigueroa
11-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Yes, but this is not a team in the sense of sports. This is not a team that lives together, travels together at length, and competes together often. It is, and always has been, an impromptu gathering of top talent and the matter of chemistry was something I never heard mentioned in the first seventeen Mosconi Cups. It was only when the 2013 team, which was not picked by America but instead by Matchroom alone, played with an unprecedented lack of cohesion that the chemistry issue was discussed at all.

As I've said before, Team USA has struggled largely in singles and has performed just fine in doubles. If we're gonna win it's gonna be because of how our guys play when they compete alone. Do you think these seasoned veterans who customarily play with a minimal fanfare can't perform without great support from onlookers? If so, you are mistaken. Mosconi winners pocket as much as they'd typically win by winning five tournaments on US soil. Anyone who thinks these guys need more than the money to motivate them is overlooking just how little the pro pool player in America typically earns.

Chemistry is huge in team sports, but not so much in an impromptu exhibition of players who will disband when the exhibition is over. Yes, it matters, but the Mosconi is won with great play, not great teamwork.

Wrong.

Of course it's a team. Cobbled together at the last moment no doubt but still chemistry, cohesion, and synergy has an effect. I've seen it in pick-up games at the pool hall, $100 a man teams; or widows (captains) at $25 a tickie; or just a doubles league for a trophy. It works with one guy and is ca-ca with another. I can't believe you can be blind to this, particularly when you have witnessed how important this is to the players involved.

Lou Figueroa

sjm
11-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Wrong.

Of course it's a team. Cobbled together at the last moment no doubt but still chemistry, cohesion, and synergy has an effect. I've seen it in pick-up games at the pool hall, $100 a man teams; or widows (captains); or doubles leagues. It works with one guy and is ca-ca with another. I can't believe you can be blind to this.

Lou Figueroa

You've seen what you've seen and I've seen what I've seen. When the US was winning the Mosconi Cup, it was with great play.

The 2014 team was supposedly a cohesive one, but it was blown out because cohesion ensures nothing. Great play and great play alone gets the job done.

lfigueroa
11-02-2015, 06:33 PM
You've seen what you've seen and I've seen what I've seen. When the US was winning the Mosconi Cup, it was with great play.

The 2014 team was supposedly a cohesive one, but it was blown out because cohesion ensures nothing. Great play and great play alone gets the job done.

It'a not a question of what I've seen, it's a question of what happens between two pool players on the same team. The right chemistry can make a world of difference. Can't believe you don't know that. Beyond that, there is how the whole team supports each other.

Lou Figueroa

sjm
11-02-2015, 06:46 PM
It'a not a question of what I've seen, it's a question of what happens between two pool players on the same team. The right chemistry can make a world of difference. Can't believe you don't know that. Beyond that, there is how the whole team supports each other.

Lou Figueroa

I know you think I'm clueless but we've always done just fine in doubles and I'm not very concerned about that part of the event.

We stink in singles, the matches in which players must perform alone. Chemistry makes little to no difference in singles. Believe it and stop accusing me of ignorance. It' becoming pretty insulting.

LIAKOS27
11-02-2015, 06:56 PM
I know you think I'm clueless but we've always done just fine in doubles and I'm not very concerned about that part of the event.

We stink in singles, the matches in which players must perform alone. Chemistry makes little to no difference in singles. Believe it and stop accusing me of ignorance. It' becoming pretty insulting.

After reading Lou's post before this one, I felt like this as well.

Chemistry has little to nothing to do in the singles. And personally, I want to see US destroy Europeans!

I honestly believe it's a different kind of pressure out there and I'm not too confident with US! At the end of the day, with the talent that's out there, its a coin toss. What's needed to win is nerves of steel, and I just don't see it!

Just my 2 drachmas;)

lfigueroa
11-02-2015, 08:03 PM

I don't think you are clueless. I just think your judgement on this issue is in error.

Even in singles the bench matters in sports.

You don't get it, you don't get it.
You haven't experienced it, you haven't experienced it.

Lou Figueroa

sjm
11-02-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't think you are clueless. I just think your judgement on this issue is in error.

Even in singles the bench matters in sports.

You don't get it, you don't get it.
You haven't experienced it, you haven't experienced it.

Lou Figueroa

Time to put this debate to bed. We'll agree to disagree. You're a good friend, Lou, and I look forward to greeting you as such next month.

dnschmidt
11-02-2015, 08:43 PM
To the best of my knowledge team togetherness has never pocketed a ball.

BasementDweller
11-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Lou,

Earl Strickland's lifetime record in doubles play at the Mosconi Cup is 24-12. Would your contention be that this is due to great chemistry between him and his partners?

I'm with SJM on this. The chemistry talk is just that. It's easy to have good team chemistry when your partner is running out.

Nostroke
11-03-2015, 05:43 AM

Chemistry is huge in team sports, but not so much in an impromptu exhibition of players who will disband when the exhibition is over. Yes, it matters, but the Mosconi is won with great play, not great teamwork.!!

Thank you-100% correct!!

lfigueroa
11-03-2015, 06:00 AM
Time to put this debate to bed. We'll agree to disagree. You're a good friend, Lou, and I look forward to greeting you as such next month.

Stu, of course we're OK.

But I won't see you next month, having decided to pass on the MC this year.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa
11-03-2015, 06:13 AM
Lou,

Earl Strickland's lifetime record in doubles play at the Mosconi Cup is 24-12. Would your contention be that this is due to great chemistry between him and his partners?

I'm with SJM on this. The chemistry talk is just that. It's easy to have good team chemistry when your partner is running out.

Well first off, I know that a few years back, when Earl was being Earl, several MC players said they would not play on the team again if he were selected to play. That alone tells you that one player can have a corrosive effect on a team. I don't believe it's unreasonable to say that there is a flip side to that and that how a player behaves can have a positive effect on team members.

Take a look at the Ryder Cup, probably the closest event we can compare the MC to. Dave Stockton, a former RC captain said, "ďIf itís between talent and chemistry, Iíll take chemistry. You can have the best players in the world, but if the captain pairs them wrong, you donít win.Ē

Jim Furyk, who played on numerous RC said, "ďI think chemistry is extremely important. I think not only how the players mix together as 12 but how we play together as a team, how the pairings are put together, how those personalities and those styles match up with each other and probably for different formats as well. I think that provides the players the best opportunity to compete and do well. I think itís wise not only to pair guys not only by how their games are physically together but also by their temperament.Ē

Tom Watson, another former RC captain said, "When I made the captainís picks that was about chemistry. Obviously Webb Simpson and Bubba Watson have a very good chemistry, and Keegan Bradley and Phil Mickelson have great chemistry. Itís shown in the past. You have to kind of bank on past experiences. Thatís part of it. Also the way they are playing is a factor. But thereís no one factor. Thereís a combination.Ē

My own experience, having spent four years of my life playing nothing but five-man team pool, doubles and scotch doubles, is that chemistry on a team makes a huge difference. YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

justadub
11-03-2015, 06:35 AM
Well first off, I know that a few years back, when Earl was being Earl, several MC players said they would not play on the team again if he were selected to play. That alone tells you that one player can have a corrosive effect on a team. I don't believe it's unreasonable to say that there is a flip side to that and that how a player behaves can have a positive effect on team members.

Yeah, they said that....and then a few of them played with him again anyway a couple years ago. Imagine that?

FWIW, I think there is a little something to the chemistry thing, but I don't worry much about it with this bunch of players, or most of them to be honest. They all seem to hang out together and such, based on the facebook posts they all make. Hell, the chemistry between some of the opponents in The Cup seems pretty good too.

lfigueroa
11-03-2015, 07:01 AM
Yeah, they said that....and then a few of them played with him again anyway a couple years ago. Imagine that?

FWIW, I think there is a little something to the chemistry thing, but I don't worry much about it with this bunch of players, or most of them to be honest. They all seem to hang out together and such, based on the facebook posts they all make. Hell, the chemistry between some of the opponents in The Cup seems pretty good too.

It took five years before three of his former teammates would say they would play with him again. Don't know what kind of deal was cut to make that happen :-)

Lou Figueroa

justadub
11-03-2015, 07:24 AM
It took five years before three of his former teammates would say they would play with him again. Don't know what kind of deal was cut to make that happen :-)

Lou Figueroa

"I'll never play on the Cup Team with him again!

***phone rings***

How much? Of course I'm in!"

lfigueroa
11-03-2015, 07:27 AM
"I'll never play on the Cup Team with him again!

***phone rings***

How much? Of course I'm in!"

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Lou Figueroa

justadub
11-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Now one of them is on Facebook lamenting that he isn't on the Cup team this year, promoting the idea that a team of himself, JA, Hatch, Oscar....and Earl would be a better team than the one we are sending.

Claims there is a good old boy network. Bwahahaha

Amazing...

fat Albert
11-03-2015, 07:36 AM

They played with him because Match Book put him on the team he was not selected by the team. Barry Hearn can and has over ridden players as he is the boss and the owner so that is his choice.

justadub
11-03-2015, 07:40 AM
They played with him because Match Book put him on the team he was not selected by the team. Barry Hearn can and has over ridden players as he is the boss and the owner so that is his choice.

Oh certainly...but their resolve to "never play on the Cup Team with him again" faded with the opportunity to get the Cup cash again. They didn't have to play with him again... :p

snucar
11-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Now one of them is on Facebook lamenting that he isn't on the Cup team this year, promoting the idea that a team of himself, JA, Hatch, Oscar....and Earl would be a better team than the one we are sending.

Claims there is a good old boy network. Bwahahaha

Amazing...

My first thoughts went to Rodney Morris, but I didn't find anything on his page. Who you're referring to?

justadub
11-03-2015, 07:47 AM
My first thoughts went to Rodney Morris, but I didn't find anything on his page. Who you're referring to?

Still there, most recent post on his timeline

BasementDweller
11-03-2015, 07:52 AM

That's sort of the point. Earl was so corrosive that guys no longer wanted to play with him, yet he somehow managed to go 24-12 in doubles.

Take a look at the Ryder Cup, probably the closest event we can compare the MC to. Dave Stockton, a former RC captain said, "“If it’s between talent and chemistry, I’ll take chemistry. You can have the best players in the world, but if the captain pairs them wrong, you don’t win.”

Jim Furyk, who played on numerous RC said, "“I think chemistry is extremely important. I think not only how the players mix together as 12 but how we play together as a team, how the pairings are put together, how those personalities and those styles match up with each other and probably for different formats as well. I think that provides the players the best opportunity to compete and do well. I think it’s wise not only to pair guys not only by how their games are physically together but also by their temperament.”

Tom Watson, another former RC captain said, "When I made the captain’s picks that was about chemistry. Obviously Webb Simpson and Bubba Watson have a very good chemistry, and Keegan Bradley and Phil Mickelson have great chemistry. It’s shown in the past. You have to kind of bank on past experiences. That’s part of it. Also the way they are playing is a factor. But there’s no one factor. There’s a combination.”

This is the common theme you hear from most winning coaches. They will say something like, "Boy, we just have such great chemistry." It's really putting the cart before the horse. If you take a group of guys (or gals) that have the same goal in mind and they all give it their all in pursuit of this goal -- what you end up with is a team that HAD good chemistry. It's not the other way around. So in other words, chemistry isn't something that a coach should ever really concern themselves with, especially when it comes to the Mosconi Cup. It's more of a byproduct of having 5 guys that are willing to give it their best shot.

Here's the even better part....even if the teammates don't get along on a personal level, or worse -- they hate each other's guts (think Shaq and Kobe) the commentary will just focus on their "fire and ice" type relationship and how the conflict really worked for the team.

My own experience, having spent four years of my life playing nothing but five-man team pool, doubles and scotch doubles, is that chemistry on a team makes a huge difference. YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

I've been on teams too. I actually won a couple of State Championships here recently and I really love being a part of a team. My own anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that "chemistry" is important when it comes to having a good time or simply enjoying the ride but it doesn't win the racks.

lfigueroa
11-03-2015, 08:27 AM
That's sort of the point. Earl was so corrosive that guys no longer wanted to play with him, yet he somehow managed to go 24-12 in doubles.

By and large the USA was beating the Euros pretty handily through the late 90ís and early aughts. It was not tough times and we collectively beat them like a drum. Later on, when the teams reached parity, like in í07 and í08. Strickland was 8-11 in doubles. When things are lopsided, who needs chemistry?

This is the common theme you hear from most winning coaches. They will say something like, "Boy, we just have such great chemistry." It's really putting the cart before the horse. If you take a group of guys (or gals) that have the same goal in mind and they all give it their all in pursuit of this goal -- what you end up with is a team that HAD good chemistry. It's not the other way around. So in other words, chemistry isn't something that a coach should ever really concern themselves with, especially when it comes to the Mosconi Cup. It's more of a byproduct of having 5 guys that are willing to give it their best shot.

While these guys were serving as coaches they're also professional players and speak from both perspectives.

Here's the even better part....even if the teammates don't get along on a personal level, or worse -- they hate each other's guts (think Shaq and Kobe) the commentary will just focus on their "fire and ice" type relationship and how the conflict really worked for the team.

That would be the exception, and I suppose the media might feed off of that, their teammates, not so much.

I've been on teams too. I actually won a couple of State Championships here recently and I really love being a part of a team. My own anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that "chemistry" is important when it comes to having a good time or simply enjoying the ride but it doesn't win the racks.

I suppose if itís about having a good time you would see it that way. We will have to differ on that one.

Lou Figueroa

BasementDweller
11-03-2015, 08:46 AM
I suppose if it’s about having a good time you would see it that way. We will have to differ on that one.

Lou Figueroa

I didn't say - for me it's about having a good time. I have a good time by winning.

Shaq and Kobe are not the exception. When it comes to the highest levels of competition teammates often don't care for each other. Being fiercely competitive and sitting around the camp fire singing kumbaya doesn't really go hand in hand. Michael Jordan was pretty much a complete jerk to most of his teammates. Several of whom were lucky enough to be on the receiving end of his fists in practice, but they won so they must of had great "chemistry".

lfigueroa
11-03-2015, 08:53 AM
I didn't say - for me it's about having a good time. I have a good time by winning.

Shaq and Kobe are not the exception. When it comes to the highest levels of competition teammates often don't care for each other. Being fiercely competitive and sitting around the camp fire singing kumbaya doesn't really go hand in hand. Michael Jordan was pretty much a complete jerk to most of his teammates. Several of whom were lucky enough to be on the receiving end of his fists in practice, but they won so they must of had great "chemistry".

I don't think basketball and pool are good comparisons -- neither would tag-team wrestling -- totally different kind of sports, skills and people. That's why I went with golf.

Lou Figueroa

sjm
11-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Stu, of course we're OK.

But I won't see you next month, having decided to pass on the MC this year.

Lou Figueroa

Hope I'll see you at Derby City.

prewarhero
11-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Rodney would not be picked anyhow.

lfigueroa
11-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Hope I'll see you at Derby City.

See you at the DCC, Stu.

Lou Figueroa

Mr. Bond
11-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Chemistry is not a guarantee nor a magic bullet, however, the right chemistry has the potential to create what is known as the " synergistic effect" , which is basically "the final product being greater than the sum of its parts alone"

Collective consciousness - herd mentality - group hallucinations - whatever you want to call it, team spirit works.

sjm
11-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Chemistry is not a guarantee nor a magic bullet, however, the right chemistry has the potential to create what is known as the " synergistic effect" , which is basically "the final product being greater than the sum of its parts alone"

Collective consciousness - herd mentality - group hallucinations - whatever you want to call it, team spirit works.

Good preparation works even better. Our guys better focus on polishing their games and not on chemistry. Confidence in each other will be the best possible source of chemistry, and such confidence will have everything to do with the extent to which they prepare.

Nineteen of the first twenty Team USAs at the Mosconi had good team spirit. The only team that lacked it was a Team USA chosen entirely by Matchroom in 2013. Team spirit is a given, but it won't deliver the day in December.

Wanna beat Europe? Work as hard as they do to get ready. Preparation is where it's at.

Mr. Bond
11-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Good preparation works even better...

Also very true

lfigueroa
11-04-2015, 06:18 AM
Good preparation works even better. Our guys better focus on polishing their games and not on chemistry. Confidence in each other will be the best possible source of chemistry, and such confidence will have everything to do with the extent to which they prepare.

Nineteen of the first twenty Team USAs at the Mosconi had good team spirit. The only team that lacked it was a Team USA chosen entirely by Matchroom in 2013. Team spirit is a given, but it won't deliver the day in December.

Wanna beat Europe? Work as hard as they do to get ready. Preparation is where it's at.

oh good grief. Of course you prepare. You also foster, encourage, and utilize chemistry.

Lou Figueroa

Nostroke
11-04-2015, 08:14 AM
oh good grief. Of course you prepare. You also foster, encourage, and utilize chemistry.

Lou Figueroa

Could you further outline your methods for doing the above?

lfigueroa
11-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Could you further outline your methods for doing the above?

I believe MW is on the right course and is basically taking elements of Paul Azinger's approach. Read all about it:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cracking-the-code-paul-azinger/1022120988#productInfoTabs

Lou Figueroa

mikeyfrost
11-04-2015, 09:07 AM

I think you underestimate the level of personal issues the players have between them. They have some very real issues. Your perspective is grounded in generality. This team has a very high level of dysfunction.

Bank it
11-04-2015, 09:22 AM

Ahhhh, the high road. Like a breath of fresh air. Kudos Stu

SUPERSTAR
11-04-2015, 09:27 AM
I think you underestimate the level of personal issues the players have between them. They have some very real issues. Your perspective is grounded in generality. This team has a very high level of dysfunction.

Well.
They are all white guys.
So at least you won't have the big douche ripping on his teammates for not being white.
One less problem to deal with.

mikeyfrost
11-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Well.
They are all white guys.
So at least you won't have the big douche ripping on his teammates for not being white.
One less problem to deal with.

LMAO you heard about that I see...one day I can't wait to find out who you are. You have to be way in the know to know that one or that problem is worst than I thought.

SUPERSTAR
11-04-2015, 02:15 PM
LMAO you heard about that I see...one day I can't wait to find out who you are. You have to be way in the know to know that one or that problem is worst than I thought.

LOL.
I don't think you have to be way in the know to know that tidbit.
People talk.

Trust me, I ain't anybody special.
But I'll introduce myself next time were in the same spot.

sjm
11-04-2015, 02:57 PM

Not the point. In every workplace and on every project, people have issues with other team members but find a way to buy in to a common goal and produce great things together.

I'm not interested in whether our guys like each other, but only interested in the extent to which they put their differences aside in pursuit of a common goal. If they all buy in, they are capable of producing something special. I am confident they will all buy in, but we shall see.

Johnnyt
11-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Seems like the team for the U.S., But all looks good on paper, just like most boxers look great on the bag in the gym. In ring for real, they hit back, sooo...not so much. I do think the U.S will give them trouble though. GO U.S.A. Johnnyt

sjm
11-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Seems like the team for the U.S., But all looks good on paper, just like most boxers look great on the bag in the gym. In ring for real, they hit back, sooo...not so much. I do think the U.S will give them trouble though. GO U.S.A. Johnnyt

Excellent post.

In terms of pedigree, little has changed. Europe's players play the entire WPA event schedule and on Team USA only SVB does. Yes, Dechaine played the WPA World 9-ball Campionships and came tied for ninth, but he didn't play the remainder of the WPA schedule.

We're sending a better team than the team that was crushed 11-5 a year ago and have a much better shot than a year ago because of it.

We'll be underdogs as usual, but at least you can envision this group of guys pulling off the upset.

SUPERSTAR
11-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Not the point. In every workplace and on every project, people have issues with other team members but find a way to buy in to a common goal and produce great things together.

I'm not interested in whether our guys like each other, but only interested in the extent to which they put their differences aside in pursuit of a common goal. If they all buy in, they are capable of producing something special. I am confident they will all buy in, but we shall see.

This is just an assumption.
A positive one, but an assumption none the less.

There are plenty of instances where collaboration fails and teams working on project need to be torn down and rebuilt so that you have a team that produces great things.
There are plenty of times in every day life, where teamwork sucks because of personal problems between team members, laziness, or flat out sabotage when one person is against the desired goal.

Sometimes, the individuals can put aside their own issues for the greater good, and that comes with maturity. But to assume that a new team that hasn't been tested out yet can reach that level of maturity, is just naive IMO.

Great things can come from collaboration.
But there are plenty of collaborations that failed due to the team breaking down on a personal level.

I hope team USA has the maturity enough to rise above their personal gripes though.
It would be nice to see them perform well.