PDA

View Full Version : YOUR highest run outs or other records at Pool?

al-capool
10-31-2015, 01:35 PM
What are YOUR highest *run outs in a row, *best series or other *records at Pool?
(* = By playing somebody during a tournament, at gambling or on a friendly match? Not alone, during the training!)

My highest runs are: (All played on 9 feet tables, except Snooker = 12")

8-Ball: 4 Racks in a row (During a tournament)

9-Ball: 5 Racks in a row (During a friendly match)

10-Ball: 3 Racks in a row (During a tournament)

14/1 - Straight Pool: 52 Balls (During a friendly match)

One Pocket: 8 balls in a row = 1 Game (During a gambling match in Connecticut 1988. Here in Biel / Switzerland, there aren't many playing One Pocket!)

Bank-Pool: No high run at all (It's sad, but here in Biel / Switzerland, almost nobody plays Bank Pool!)

12" Snooker: 47 Points / 5 x red-black and 1 x red-pink (On a regular 12 feet Snooker table)

WHAT ARE YOUR BEST RESULTS?

P.S. Please excuse my bad Swiss and Italian influenced English.

pt109
10-31-2015, 01:49 PM
12" Snooker: 47 Points / 6 x red-black and 1 x red-pink (On a regular 12 feet Snooker table)

Your English is fine...your math?....meh

6 blacks and 1 pink with reds is 55 points....you are better than you thought. :smile:

al-capool
10-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Your English is fine...your math?....meh

6 blacks and 1 pink with reds is 55 points....you are better than you thought. :smile:

LOL, of course 5 black and 1 pink... shame on me

Banks
10-31-2015, 02:18 PM
Pretty much the same as a year ago, just a little more often. Maybe a 1p high run, but not positive on the number. :o Been meaning to get to a hall to try some straights, but.. yeah.

ribdoner
10-31-2015, 02:27 PM
7 on bar tbl

4 on big tbl

108 @ 14.1

50 something @ "lineup" when in early teens

ctyhntr
10-31-2015, 02:43 PM
D+ trying to make it as C. Sometimes I can catch a weak C, other times slaughtered.
1 rack of 8-ball
1 rack of 9-ball
14.1 highest run was 10 balls.

Shane33
10-31-2015, 03:46 PM
6 on a 7 footer

4 on a 9 footer

These were both 24 years ago at the top of my game. I still put together 2 and 3 here and there but have not got back to where I used to be. Sure I never will now that I can't see as good. I wear glasses to see up close. Can't stand to wear while playing though.

caff3in3
10-31-2015, 04:26 PM
3 pack for both 8 and 9.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Masayoshi
10-31-2015, 05:10 PM
What are YOUR highest *run outs in a row, *best series or other *records at Pool?
(* = By playing somebody during a tournament, at gambling or on a friendly match? Not alone, during the training!)

My highest runs are:

One Pocket: 8 balls in a row = 1 Game (During a gambling match in Connecticut 1988. Here in Biel / Switzerland, there aren't many playing One Pocket!)

Bank-Pool: No high run at all (It's sad, but here in Biel / Switzerland, almost nobody plays Bank Pool!)

12" Snooker: 47 Points / 5 x red-black and 1 x red-pink (On a regular 12 feet Snooker table)

Ah crap...I didn't know friendly matches count and voted my tournament high run. My friendly match run is 2 racks higher.

Bank it
10-31-2015, 05:24 PM
14.1- 163
Short rack banks-3
Nine ball-7
All 9' table

3RAILKICK
10-31-2015, 05:25 PM
My personal best worstest:

I lost 14 games straight at the beginning of our 9ball league, a couple of seasons ago. I was playing either even, or giving the last two, the 8 or 7. It just didn't matter.:banghead:

I witnessed some bizarre things during that streak....some of my own doing.:embarrassed2:

Colonel
10-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Nine ball-7
All 9' table

What about the 9 pack you put on Swanee at Broadway Billiards in that 10 ahead session?

Neil
10-31-2015, 06:24 PM
8 ball- 6 racks (twice, both unfinished runs)

9 ball on 9'- 6 pack
9 ball on 7'- 12 pack unfinished (opponent quit me)

1 pocket- 8 and out

14.1- 56

Banks- don't play it

10 ball- don't play it

maplecap
10-31-2015, 06:53 PM
What is my "HIGHEST" run out?
Easy. On acid in the seventies. All the balls on one shot!

acousticsguru
10-31-2015, 07:22 PM

My highest runs are:

Good to know there are people in this country who play One Pocket and Bank Pool! :thumbup:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

SilverCue
10-31-2015, 07:28 PM
If you count 8 on the break,
6 pak twice. once in a tournament.

9 ball 6 pak for money.

14.1, 75 practice, 56 and 53 in tournament finals match.

Bank it
10-31-2015, 07:36 PM
What about the 9 pack you put on Swanee at Broadway Billiards in that 10 ahead session?

2 were on the snap, it's not the same. You know this is the second time in the last week you've chimed in commenting on my game. As I said in the other thread I don't know you but I know of you through Mikey. If you want to take a trip back home & willing to give me 9-7 in 1 pocket or 2 on the wire to 9 in 9 ball then read my signature line Colonel.

peppersauce
10-31-2015, 08:16 PM

pt109
10-31-2015, 09:15 PM
2 were on the snap, it's not the same.
l.

9 on the break has got to be part of the pack.
If you were Earl, running the 11 pack for the million dollars....do you really want to be in
the position of NOT making the 9 on the snap or you won't get paid.

I was at a tournament years ago, and the TD said there is a g-note for a 7-pack or better...
.....but nines on the break don't count.
I stood up and told him to not consider me for the g-note....he asked "Why not?"
I said "I don't want to be in the ludicrous position of running a six-pack....and hoping I
DON'T make the nine on the break."
He said " Good point...nines count on the break."

...nobody ran a seven-pack, though

Poolmanis
10-31-2015, 09:40 PM
Hi.

My "Records" :smile:
I play always 9ft pool tables.

9-ball 7-runouts

8-ball 6+4-runouts. Competition I ended up game with 6 pack. Then I opened next game with 4 pack.

14.1 high run 154

7 moving balls from throw behind back on row at trick shot show.

10-ball 2 races to five, moneygames. I gave 1 ahead and opponent got first break and I ran 1+4 both games.

Snooker practice break best 141. Game 130. Competition game 84(played maybe 6-7 competitions)

3-cushion 8 points.

2 racks of rotation.

Colonel
11-01-2015, 01:44 AM
2 were on the snap, it's not the same. You know this is the second time in the last week you've chimed in commenting on my game. As I said in the other thread I don't know you but I know of you through Mikey. If you want to take a trip back home & willing to give me 9-7 in 1 pocket or 2 on the wire to 9 in 9 ball then read my signature line Colonel.

Hey I wasn't calling you out, I've always been an admirer of your game. I can always be persuaded to visit back east, but not for either one of these games you offer.

If you'd like to entertain 10-9 1 pocket or 10 ahead nineball even, then PM me, I'll be your huckleberry.

owll
11-01-2015, 02:19 AM
i was playing a set of 9 ball one time, score 2-1 me, race to 9....other guy scratched on break....i ran out the set ;)

al-capool
11-01-2015, 02:24 AM
Good to know there are people in this country who play One Pocket and Bank Pool! :thumbup:

Hi David,
Actually there are just a very few *persons who I know, which are playing "sometimes" 1P and even less are playing Bank Pool! Of course just for fun! NO TOURNAMENTS, NO GAMBLING, NOT ANYTHING concerning this 2 cool games!?
(*I played both games for ex. with Dimitri Jungo, Sebastian Koch, Nicolas Ernst... just for fun)

But why am I explaining that right to YOU? You know all that even much better than me!

Dear AZB-Members, you should know that David (acousticsguru) isn't only a very modest and friendly person!
No, he's also an excellent Pool Instructor and especially a real greath Player!
Believe it ot not, but he can beat (on a good day) EVERY kind of Poolplayer/opponent!

Best wishes from Biel-Bienne in Switzerland, Roberto

P.S.
Hoi David,
Wi geits dir? I ha ghört du hesch wieder agfange Turnier spile? Nach grössere Gsundheitsproblem? Hut ab, Respekt! Übrigens hätt I u di andere sicher ou gärn gwüsst, wie höch dini beschte Serie si?
Auer liebschti Grüess, Roberto

al-capool
11-01-2015, 02:53 AM
Hi.

My "Records" :smile:
I play always 9ft pool tables.

9-ball 7-runouts

8-ball 6+4-runouts. Competition I ended up game with 6 pack. Then I opened next game with 4 pack.

14.1 high run 154

7 moving balls from throw behind back on row at trick shot show.

10-ball 2 races to five, moneygames. I gave 1 ahead and opponent got first break and I ran 1+4 both games.

Snooker practice break best 141. Game 130. Competition game 84(played maybe 6-7 competitions)

3-cushion 8 points.

2 racks of rotation.

Hat off Sir,
Are you playing 1 of these 3 (Pool, Snooker or 3-cushion) as Semi-Pro? Are you sponsored by somebody, do you participate regularly at International Tournaments (for ex. EUROTOUR) and winning some good bucks? Most on gambling, on tournaments or on both?
KR Roberto

acousticsguru
11-01-2015, 04:28 AM

Hi David,
Actually there are just a very few *persons who I know, which are playing "sometimes" 1P and even less are playing Bank Pool! Of course just for fun! NO TOURNAMENTS, NO GAMBLING, NOT ANYTHING concerning this 2 cool games!?
(*I played both games for ex. with Dimitri Jungo, Sebastian Koch, Nicolas Ernst... just for fun)

But why am I explaining that right to YOU? You know all that even much better than me!

Dear AZB-Members, you should know that David (acousticsguru) isn't only a very modest and friendly person!
No, he's also an excellent Pool Instructor and especially a real greath Player!
Believe it ot not, but he can beat (on a good day) EVERY kind of Poolplayer/opponent!

Best wishes from Biel-Bienne in Switzerland, Roberto

P.S.
Hoi David,
Wi geits dir? I ha ghört du hesch wieder agfange Turnier spile? Nach grössere Gsundheitsproblem? Hut ab, Respekt! Übrigens hätt I u di andere sicher ou gärn gwüsst, wie höch dini beschte Serie si?
Auer liebschti Grüess, Roberto

Thank you, Roberto, for the kind words!

I genuinely meant to give expression to my joy that there appear to be people in this country who play some of my favorite games (Straight Pool, One Pocket, Banks), when in my neck of the woods, nobody does…

Not sure if you've seen the little 14.1 instructional I put up here, maybe you'll enjoy it (it should also serve as proof I'm still alive):

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=409570

As to records, believe it or not, those don't mean much anymore to an old man with a bad back who increasingly feels as blind as a bat… :wink:

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Poolmanis
11-01-2015, 06:44 AM
Hat off Sir,
Are you playing 1 of these 3 (Pool, Snooker or 3-cushion) as Semi-Pro? Are you sponsored by somebody, do you participate regularly at International Tournaments (for ex. EUROTOUR) and winning some good bucks? Most on gambling, on tournaments or on both?
KR Roberto

My game is pool. I competed 15years in Finnish pool scene. Then got back problems so nowadays I compete only couple times per year. I am only amateur because I'm not good enough.
Playing all games just for fun. Also Finnish Kaisa and pyramid.
I don't make money from because I live almost arctic circle so here are not same caliber players. I gamble whenever someone want. Also when I'm at competitive trip but gambling is rare candy.

measureman
11-01-2015, 06:54 AM
9 ball-5 racks
8 ball-3 racks
10 ball-3 racks
14.1- 101 balls
there may have been higher totals but in 55 years of playing it gets a little hard to remember.

Poolmanis
11-01-2015, 07:17 AM
As to records, believe it or not, those don't mean much anymore to an old man with a bad back who increasingly feels as blind as a bat… :wink:

[/i]

One record I'd like to know from you... 14.1 highest run? Because I know you made this year 192 .. Not bad for blind man

acousticsguru
11-01-2015, 07:39 AM
One record I'd like to know from you... 14.1 highest run? Because I know you made this year 192 .. Not bad for blind man

My best earlier this year was 197 with the toughest shot in it easier than the average in 9-Ball (so much for the blind old man) - and I've made it a rule never to compare myself to my younger self anymore, sparing me the agony, so to speak.

BmoreMoney
11-01-2015, 07:57 AM
i was playing a set of 9 ball one time, score 2-1 me, race to 9....other guy scratched on break....i ran out the set ;)

So how many?

Jason Robichaud
11-01-2015, 08:47 AM
I haven't played with any regularity for 3 years now, but when I did... I could run a few tables/balls

All on 9'

9 ball - 8 racks
8 ball - 12 racks in winner break event. I ran last 3 racks, won the lag and ran 5 for the match, won the lag and ran to the 8 and missed on 5th rack. Funny part about the 5-0 match that I ran out.... the guy's buddies was having a laugh and asked the guy what happened. He said, "I dogged the lag".

Snooker - 142 (12' table)
1 pocket 13 balls.
10 ball - 4 pack.

I would give up all those runs/balls for the 2 pack of rotation posted here. I watched Dennis O run a 3 pack of rotation, probably the most impressive shooting I've seen on a table.

SUPERSTAR
11-01-2015, 10:02 AM
All on 9 fters.

9ball, I was losing 7-1 in a race to 9 against a local, R. Romanoff.
He broke dry, I ran out and then broke and ran out the set. ( I count that as a 7, not 8) I still lost the money that night.
Was playing a local kid we called "The Shmo" giving him the 5ball, races to 6. Score was 1-1, he missed a ball, and i ran out. Then I broke and ran a 4 pack to win the set, won the coin toss for the next set, and opened up with a 4 pack, and he quit.
(I count that as an 8)

10 ball - 6 pack.

14.1 - 159 back in 2010

Banks - I've banked 5 and out plenty of times, and banked 9 and out a couple of times playing full rack while giving weight.
Most games/balls strung together, Short rack I've broken and banked 5 and out 3 times in a row to beat someone at the Derby way back in the day. 2nd to that would be against Howard Vickery at the Derby where I won the lag, broke and banked 5 and out twice, broke and banked a 3, got into a safe battle, and lost the match from there.

9andout
11-01-2015, 10:52 AM
I think I read the question wrong? I picked 8-9. lol
9 balls.
1 rack. ;)

jasonlaus
11-01-2015, 11:13 AM
9' - 7racks twice
7' - 7racks once
Banks - at least 5 - not really sure.
3 cushion - dont know
snooker - dont remember
All probably 20 plus yrs ago.

Ran a 5pack on a 9' using Coreys soft break a few yrs ago.
Dont play much anymore, hopefully I'll have a good numer on the 10'er soon.

Bank it
11-01-2015, 11:15 AM
9 on the break has got to be part of the pack.

If you were Earl, running the 11 pack for the million dollars....do you really want to be in

the position of NOT making the 9 on the snap or you won't get paid.

I was at a tournament years ago, and the TD said there is a g-note for a 7-pack or better...

.....but nines on the break don't count.

I stood up and told him to not consider me for the g-note....he asked "Why not?"

I said "I don't want to be in the ludicrous position of running a six-pack....and hoping I

DON'T make the nine on the break."

He said " Good point...nines count on the break."

...nobody ran a seven-pack, though

It counted as a win in that match but I didn't count it as part of high package run as I didn't really "run" those racks.

Bank it
11-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Hey I wasn't calling you out, I've always been an admirer of your game. I can always be persuaded to visit back east, but not for either one of these games you offer.

If you'd like to entertain 10-9 1 pocket or 10 ahead nineball even, then PM me, I'll be your huckleberry.

You've been PM'ed.

pt109
11-01-2015, 11:29 AM
It counted as a win in that match but I didn't count it as part of high package run as I didn't really "run" those racks.

I'm counting your pack as nine whether you like it or not....
...it's not so bad to have people giving you more credit than you give yourself. :)

....well, except in action....so here's how we'll handle it.
...if you're making a game, your pack will be a seven...
...if I'm trying to sell your services to a sponsor, your pack is nine.

Twice I've finished a five ahead (for a pretty good chunk of cash) with nines on the snap
back to back.....I'm calling them two packs....for the packages...:happydance:

PoolBum
11-01-2015, 01:33 PM
My highest run out was probably in Denver, elevation about one mile. I was stuck three sets and about to lose the fourth, when I slowly eased over toward the door, then when my opponent got down to shoot the 9 I slipped out the door and ran as a fast as I could. I've had other run outs, but none that high.

al-capool
11-01-2015, 03:07 PM
My highest run out was probably in Denver, elevation about one mile. I was stuck three sets and about to lose the fourth, when I slowly eased over toward the door, then when my opponent got down to shoot the 9 I slipped out the door and ran as a fast as I could. I've had other run outs, but none that high.

1 mile = That's for real a high run out to remember! LOL

al-capool
11-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Sorry posted same twice!

pt109
11-01-2015, 04:41 PM

I had to stop gambling in the Ozarks.....it was too nerve-wracking...:shocked2:

...the sets always seemed to go hill-hill....

SUPERSTAR
11-01-2015, 06:13 PM
How did black-balled vote in every category?

LIAKOS27
11-01-2015, 08:18 PM
8-ball. 5 in a row practice
4 in a row gambling

9-ball. 11 in a row practicing
3 in a row gambling

10-ball. 4 in a row practicing
2 in a row gambling

14.1. A couple 8?'s practicing
54 gambling( my greatest comeback)

1-p. I have a few 8 and outs not sure of how many were practice and gambling

Banks. With 15 balls, I did 9 in practice
Playing 9-ball banks, 2-3 gambling I think;) I don't remember

Black-Balled
11-01-2015, 08:46 PM
How did black-balled vote in every category?

I keeps money.

Frankenstroke
11-01-2015, 09:36 PM
1P...break-and-run 3 games

banks...6 balls

14.1 .....30 something

The Renfro
11-01-2015, 09:55 PM
mine is 7.. break and runs... Anytime I got a combo, carom on the 9 or the 9 on the break I didn't consider it a run out.... I have ran 2 sets out in a row going to 7 but there were combos and 2 golden 9s....

Matt
11-02-2015, 10:16 AM
As someone that has never been beyond a 3-pack and usually ends packages with a break where I either don't make a ball or don't have a decent shot on the 1-ball, I think that the small spikes at 3 and 5 are pretty interesting. According to the (very limited) data, it looks like getting past a 3-pack is harder that getting from 4 to 5. My interpretation of the data is that players that are good enough to run back to back racks on a somewhat regular basis are going to eventually have a 3-pack if they play enough; it's just a matter of waiting for the opportunity. To get beyond 3, I think that you have to take a more active role in making those opportunities happen, meaning improving your break.

As a little experiment, I went home and just did rack after rack of 9-ball breaks and found that it was fairly rare for me to have 3 breaks in a row where I make a ball and have a reasonable run-out available using a standard rack. If I switch to a magic rack, I nearly always make the wing ball and can usually keep the CB and 1-ball under control, so my opportunities at a run-out went way up. I imagine that changing pocket size would also have a similar effect, so maybe I'll retry this experiment on a "league-cut" GC and compare that to my "pro-cut" Diamond.

Based on my experiment, I would say that it's unlikely that I will get many opportunities to run more than a 3-pack on the tables I play on without using a magic rack, so it would be neat to hear about the equipment situation for some of these big packages, especially anything over 5.

al-capool
11-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Hi july9x,
Do you really want us to believe, that you ran out 20 or more racks of 9-Ball in a row?
20 times (or more) you broke, at least 1 OB felt, you saw the 1 or the next Ball and you ran out!
All those on a 9" table and during a regular match of course!
20 times and not once the CB felt on the break, you were never snookered, you didn't have to play safe or a push-out?

If yes, how come that below your User-Name isn't mentioned: PRO-Player?

KR, Roberto

And now to you Black Balled,
I just want to tell you, that this was my first Poll, since I am an AZB-Member!
So it's clearly my fault that I didn't see that I made multiple choices possible!

To vote on the Poll and seeing your name on every number from 1 all up to 20 or more racks, was for real extremely funny! OMG, what I had to laugh…such a subtle and fine sense of humour. But I still prefer sarcasm!
KR, Roberto

railbird99
11-02-2015, 04:59 PM
If I've ran 0.78 racks of nineball in a match, does it round up to 1 in the poll?

Black-Balled
11-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Hi jl

And now to you Black Balled,
I just want to tell you, that this was my first Poll, since I am an AZB-Member!
So it's clearly my fault that I didn't see that I made multiple choices possible!

To vote on the Poll and seeing your name on every number from 1 all up to 20 or more racks, was for real extremely funny! OMG, what I had to laugh…such a subtle and fine sense of humour. But I still prefer sarcasm!
KR, Roberto

I had to cange my password today at work and i chose 'my penis'

The system told me it was too long.

pt109
11-02-2015, 05:26 PM
I wish youse guys would keep the noise down.....:angry:
...I'm in the middle of a one-pack.

..can't remember which AZer used that, but I always liked it

poolplaya1
11-02-2015, 05:34 PM
This poll is extremely biased. Some people near the bottom of the runs list wont want people around here to think they suck, so they wont vote. Some people near the high end of the list wont want everyone to know how good they are so they wont vote. Some people will lie, they will vote erroneously. Some people in the middle will feel embarrassed that they aren't higher or would like to keep it secret that they play that well so they wont vote. I don't know which group of people will have the most effect on the data, but drawing conclusions on this data is perilous at best.

Love the idea of this type of poll, but there are too many reasons it isn't really real.

Oh, and a lot of people rarely play 9 ball. I'd say I have played it less than 1% of the time, but I am interested in learning the game in the future!

<- has a 1-pack!

Bbutler
11-02-2015, 06:01 PM
9-ball - 8 racks
10-ball - 4 racks
8-ball - 7 racks
14.1 - 101
1-pocket - 14 and out (twice)
Snooker (6x12) - 147

HawaiianEye
11-02-2015, 06:26 PM
I've ran plenty, plenty of times.

Stringing racks can only be done if your break is working. If you can't break well, you will never have a large string.

It usually only happens when you make a couple game balls on the break as well.

I'm 61 and ran a 5 pack not to awfully long ago...I wanted to extend it out a bit, but I made the 9 ball on the break in the 6th game and then a ball came flying out of nowhere and knocked the cue ball in the side pocket.

I made the 9 ball in the same pocket on the break 3 times in a row not too long ago.

Sometime you have it working, other times you don't.

snucar
11-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Some people will lie

Most people are liying, not some. Some for fun, some for pure narcissism and to add some extra weight to their opinions. I can hardly believe that the majority in here can put more than 2 racks in a row together. What a load of nonsense...lol

Straightpool_99
11-03-2015, 07:30 AM
2 people have run 20(!) racks of 9 ball in a match....Wow! I've never run more than 5 in a row, in a match and have never seen more than 6 racks run in a tournament of any importance, on a 9 foot table, in person. I suck at 9 ball compared to other games, my break is especially bad. Since the magic rack became more popular I stand a much better chance, but I haven't played a lot of 9 ball in that time, since I play mostly snooker and 14.1. My results in those games are a lot better;), still I see there are people here with 147's in snooker...I guess I'll settle for being a very small fish in a big pond.

snucar
11-03-2015, 07:50 AM
I've never run more than 5 in a row, in a match and have never seen more than 6 racks run in a tournament of any importance, on a 9 foot table, in person. I suck at 9 ball compared to other games, my break is especially bad.

You've run 5 racks in a row but your break sucks huh? lol

Cool story, mate!

Matt
11-03-2015, 07:58 AM
This poll is extremely biased.
I agree, but even analyzing the number of consecutive racks that people say they have run can be somewhat interesting. Maybe the spikes I commented on earlier at 3 and 5 don't actually reflect reality and just get chosen more often because they sound good, but reasonable. Based on my history as a pool player, I would guess there are a lot of people stuck at 1 and 2. I have seen a lot of C/D-level players B&R a single rack of 9-ball, and know from experience that once you are a threat to run out any rack where there are no real problem balls it's just a matter of time before you get a 2-pack. I suppose it's possible to stumble into an easy 3-pack, but I'd say that most players that have run 3 in a row are at least B level players just to have made that many balls in a row, even if a bunch of them were hangers.

snucar
11-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Based on my history as a pool player, I would guess there are a lot of people stuck at 1 and 2. I have seen a lot of C/D-level players B&R a single rack of 9-ball, and know from experience that once you are a threat to run out any rack where there are no real problem balls it's just a matter of time before you get a 2-pack. I suppose it's possible to stumble into an easy 3-pack, but I'd say that most players that have run 3 in a row are at least B level players just to have made that many balls in a row, even if a bunch of them were hangers.

Finally, someone speaks sense. That's exactly what I have in mind too. Now, let's hear how many B-players do we have in here? Make us laugh!

TheThaiger
11-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Most people are liying, not some. Some for fun, some for pure narcissism and to add some extra weight to their opinions. I can hardly believe that the majority in here can put more than 2 racks in a row together. What a load of nonsense...lol

3 choices.

1. They are fantastic players.
2. They break like superman.
3. Their tables are piss easy.

SUPERSTAR
11-03-2015, 08:23 AM

Lol. You polygraphed everyone?
Did you vote? :D

Although clearly July9x is full of crap cause ain't no one ever done that crap. LOL

peppersauce
11-03-2015, 08:29 AM

Straightpool_99
11-03-2015, 08:55 AM
You've run 5 racks in a row but your break sucks huh? lol

Cool story, mate!

I know a guy with a controlled 25mph break, when he is in form. So compared to him, my break sucks. Doesn't mean I'm helpless. With the magic rack, my break is pretty decent, and will get the job done.

peppersauce
11-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Neil
11-03-2015, 09:25 AM

One thing you have to understand, is that these are HIGH run records. Not average runs of players. Quite often, ones high run will be considerably higher than their average runs.

I posted a 12. That is a true run. For me, a once in a lifetime run, but I did do it ONCE. My next highest run was a 10 pack, and a few 9 packs. Now, lets break it down just a little to see how that happens....

First thing you need is the ability and focus to run out when the table is runnable. That is a "given". Then, you need a "friendly" rack and the same person racking them the same everytime. Now, that does not mean pattern racking, but having the one in the same spot on the table each time. Along with the friendly rack, goes a friendly table.

By "friendly", I mean a table and racker that gives a consistent rack that just so happens to have the correct gaps in the correct places. My 12 pack was on one table, and my 9's and 10 were on a different table, but the same table for the 9's and 10. And, those were over a two week period. Played on that table many times before, and many times after, and never had the rack break open like it did for those two weeks. And during those two weeks, while playing a crew of construction workers, the same guy was racking for each of those larger runs.

What I know now, and didn't know then, was that the racker had to be consistently putting gaps in the right places by accident that made it conducive to good spreads and balls dropping on the break.

Also, besides the rack and table, the breaker has to recognize what is working, and be able to repeat it rack after rack.

Now, outside of my highest run, and those magical two weeks, my next highest run is down to a 6 pack. Did that ONCE. After that, a number of 4's and 5's. So, for those high runs people have, it's really just a moment in time when everything came together just right to give a good memory. Nothing more than that really. It's surely not indicative of ones normal play.

snucar
11-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Kind of sounds like snucar hangs out in a small, shallow pond. Snucar, maybe I misunderstood your post, but if your idea of a "B" player is someone who can't run more than 2 or 3 racks of 9-ball, you should find a better place to play.

How about playing in local tournaments with Ekonomopoulos, Kazakis and Malai sounds to you? Do you think I should change club and move to a better one? Let me know your thoughts...

I posted a 12. That is a true run. For me, a once in a lifetime run, but I did do it ONCE. My next highest run was a 10 pack, and a few 9 packs.

With all due to respect, Neils, I can never believe that. Especially after watching some of your videos. Not even on a mini pool table. 12 racks in a row??? 12? 9? 8? Even if it's ONCE in a lifetime. Do you guys realize what that means? That you're ALL pros.

Neil
11-03-2015, 10:23 AM
How about playing in local tournaments with Ekonomopoulos, Kazakis and Malai sounds to you? Do you think I should change club and move to a better one? Let me know your thoughts...

With all due to respect, Neils, I can never believe that. Especially after watching some of your videos. Not even on a mini pool table. 12 racks in a row??? 12? 9? 8? Even if it's ONCE in a lifetime. Do you guys realize what that means? That you're ALL pros.

No, it does not mean that we are pros. But, it does mean that occasionally, we can play at pro speed on our best days. Big, big, big difference.

And, it doesn't matter if you believe I did it or not. It only matters to me, and I know I did. Like I stated earlier, outside of a good memory, it really means nothing.

Ron Swanson
11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Kind of sounds like snucar hangs out in a small, shallow pond. Snucar, maybe I misunderstood your post, but if your idea of a "B" player is someone who can't run more than 2 or 3 racks of 9-ball, you should find a better place to play.

Are you suggesting B players should be regularly running 2 and 3 packs?

---->Just plummeted.

Masayoshi
11-03-2015, 10:29 AM

I've seen a C player put up a 5 pack on a bar table. A players can go for hours on end without a miss on them, whether those long streches without a miss include strings of racks or not is mostly break dependent. 12 on a barbox is a great run, but not unbelievable even for an amateur.

peppersauce
11-03-2015, 10:30 AM

peppersauce
11-03-2015, 10:32 AM

snucar
11-03-2015, 10:56 AM
If you're being truthful, good for you. That's a lot better than most people have. You make it sound like you play out of the local pub down the street though. Personally, I find it hard to believe that in a very competitive invironment like you describe, the only people capable of putting packages together are the great players you mention.

Why shouldn't I be truthful, especially since I'm not stating I'm running packs for fun. I'm a B player in Greece and, believe it or not, the general standard of the players here is pretty high overall (not my words, but words of some of the finest players on earth who've come here to play in international tournaments like Feijen, Boyes, Chinahov and many others). I'm a very decent am. player and those pros I've mentioned use me as their practice man quite often because they know I can pose some questions here and there during our match. But hitting 3-4 packs regularly as a B player is out of this world here. Heck, our pros even struggle to reach 5 or 6 in the practice...there's usually a point their run breaks down around the 4th-5th rack. I've never even heard Nikos talking about hitting 12 or 9 racks in a row in practice or even in a match. Which I'm sure he must have but more rarely than often, just like you guys...

cueman
11-03-2015, 11:13 AM
My highest runs are:

8-Ball: 4 Racks in a row

9-Ball: 5 Racks in a row

14/1 - Straight Pool: 51 Balls

One Pocket: 8 balls in a row from the break. That was my first game ever of one pocket. I broke them wide open and made a ball in my pocket and ran 8 balls. I had no idea it was a safety game.

10' Snooker: over 90 Points once. Hit the 70s several times.

3 Cushion: have ran 5 numerous times.

15 Ball Rotation: 3 full 15 ball racks in a row on a bar box.

peppersauce
11-03-2015, 11:43 AM

weakfingers
11-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Not quite sure what my speed would be but here are my records to date:

9 ball: 9 foot table, 2 racks
9 ball: 7 foot Diamond, 3 racks

8 ball: 9 foot table, 3 racks

10 ball: don't really play too often, so just occasional break and runs

14.1: 38 balls on a 9 foot Gold Crown, 44 balls on an 8 foot Olhausen

I've strung six racks against the 9 ball ghost on a 7 foot Diamond, haha :(

Matt
11-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Okay, time for the obligatory Dr. Dave reference...

If you guys take a look at this page (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/ratings.html#A-D), you'll find several descriptions of alphabetical player ratings, with quite a bit of variation in their descriptions of each rank, so there's bound to be some difference in what everyone here considers a "B" player.

The point I was getting at before was that there seem to be certain tipping points where you can tell that someone is progressing in their ability as a pool player, so I thought it was interesting that there are very few players with a 4-pack as their high run.

I also think that someone's all-time high run doesn't tell you too much about their ability as a player since it's a combination of skill, luck, and opportunity that produces large packages. Sure, you can probably infer that someone that has strung together 5 racks can play a bit, but without knowing how it happened and what the equipment was like, it could just be a fluke.

Now for some back-of-the-napkin math...
Let's say the average pro breaks and runs 1 out of 4 racks of 9-ball, which seems reasonable based on past tournament statistics. Their chances of stringing together 5 racks beginning with any given rack are (1/4)^5=0.9765625, or about 1 in 1000. Looking at that a different way, it is reasonable to expect to see a 5-pack (or better) from the average pro for every 1000 racks they play.

What if you're not that good and only run racks half as often as the average pro, so 1 out of 8. Your odds of a 5-pack are only (1/8)^5, or 1 in 32,768. In fact, if you run out 1 of every 8 racks, you should only expect a 2-pack once in every 64 racks you play, at least according to the numbers.

Anyone that has a good idea of what their B&R percentage is could do a similar calculation. In reality, I would guess that the actual occurrence of packages is more frequent that these simple statistics suggest because of some of the factors previously mentioned: figuring out the break/rack, the mental/emotional state of the player, etc.

SUPERSTAR
11-03-2015, 02:17 PM
I guess this is a scenario where people who are not able to duplicate the personal records of others, translating into those records becoming impossible to have done.

Sounds like a lot of jealousy or envy to me.

But let's face it.
Not everyone is going to be as fortunate as others in their personal accomplishments on the table.

It's not like running racks is just going to happen because you play well, and just because it doesn't happen, doesn't mean that you don't play well in the first place.
And make no doubt about it, packages do happen to middle of the road players. I've seen it lots of times.

Personally, I think most 9 ball packages are a result of 2 thing more than any other.
1st one is "time."
Wasting your life in the pool room for a block of time.
Back in the day, when there was more free time, and the constraints and responsibility of adult life weren't an issue, people in my group, the pool bums who did nothing but hang out in the pool room and play every day, just put in lots of time.
I'm not talking a couple of hours twice a week. No.

I'm talking walk into the pool hall at noon, hang out and play all day, matching up with other pool bums all day long. Leave the pool room at 4am, get some breakfast, go home to sleep, and be back at the room at noon the next day.
And then doing this for YEARS.

I'm sorry, but if you waste your life in such fashion, and you are putting in that type of time, packages are going to happen. Packages are going to happen a lot. Even if you aren't a pro. They will happen.

And if they haven't happened, maybe there is another factor that is preventing it.
All players are not cut from the same cloth.
Some play well, and can't hack pressure.
And some play well and opportunity was never there.
Could be anything.

But the worst thing someone can do is doubt someone because they themselves can't do it. That's just ridiculous, but ironically, all too common.

Anyway, the 2nd thing is that no one goes for it anymore.
Too many people would rather play safe these days cause they lack the spine to go for the harder shot, to keep their run alive.
They won't take the harder cut. They won't fire at the bank. They won't do a power draw shot cause it's too risky, etc etc.

When I 1st started to play, pool was in a post Color of Money boom.
Rooms were opening up left and right.
Lots of people were playing.
There were all sorts of local events to play in, and they were ALL 9ball. Nothing but 9ball far as the eye could see.

On top of that, in my area, you had all the pool bums, congregating at South Philly billiards for the Thursday night tournament, where players like Efren, Busti, would be hanging out before and after each U.S. open, and locals like Jimmy Fusco (when he was playing good enough to win the Sands Regency event) Petey Fusco, Mike LeBron (US Open Champ) would be there, as well as Allen Hopkins (US Open Champ) Bob Maidhof, Don Polo, John "Flakes" Hennigan (the one who raped the pinoy in back pocket at that tournament), and other local high end players popping in every now and then.

The rules of the tournament were simple.
Incoming player gets ball in hand.
You break and don't make a ball, your opponent has ball in hand to start the rack.
If he misses along the way and hangs up the ball in the pocket, you return to the table with ball in hand.
3 fouls you lose, so you leaving the table, you are on a foul. Even though you might get ball in hand upon returning to the table, if the ball is tied up, and you can't pocket a ball, you would be on the next foul. (so 3 fouls did occur, just not in the normal manner)
Pocketing the 9 wins the game.

Anyway
This made for a completely different 9ball mentality. RUN OUT AT ALL COSTS.
And since this was THE local weekly tournament to be at back in the day to us locals, because it had all the names in attendance, and we wanted to try and win a match or the tournament against the names.
That bled into our mentality of how we approached the game. All while we were playing pool every day, being pool bums.
You run out or you lose.

That along with hearing commentaries on old accu stats matches from champions.
"I would want to continue shooting" Buddy Hall
"You might be able to safe your way to victory every now and then, but more often then not, you're going to shoot your way to victory" (or something like that) Mathews/Incardona/DiLiberto??? (I forget)

It was just a different mindset back then.

9ball used to be an explosive, dynamic, momentum type of game.
Seems like the past 20 years have done everything in their power to kill that.
Alternate break formats because guys who couldn't put packages together got all bent out of shape over guys that could.
Premium matches being held on ridiculously tight equipment as a testament to who is a better player, being among THE MOST boring matches to watch cause they are playing safe all the time in situations where players of the past would have gone for it.

The era of putting packages together is over.
Let it die with dignity.

snucar
11-03-2015, 02:55 PM
I guess this is a scenario where people who are not able to duplicate the personal records of others, translating into those records becoming impossible to have done.

Sounds like a lot of jealousy or envy to me.

Jealousy? Nope, more like reality. I've been around way too long and with plenty of pros to know that no amateur can hit 9 racks in a row, even if Jesus Christ Himself came down to help him. But I do enjoy your stories!:thumbup:

Colonel
11-03-2015, 02:59 PM
I can't make a ball. [emoji41]

SUPERSTAR
11-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Jealousy? Nope, more like reality. I've been around way too long and with plenty of pros to know that no amateur can hit 9 racks in a row, even if Jesus Christ Himself came down to help him. But I do enjoy your stories!:thumbup:

Angry B player hanging with a bunch of malakas. LOL.

NO WONDER you've never put a package together.

:D

snucar
11-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Angry B player hanging with a bunch of malakas. LOL.

NO WONDER you've never put a package together.

:D

Not angry at all, just amused. I did run a 4 pack ONCE, but I definitely have a better record with souvlaki, a brilliant 10 pack!!!:D

SUPERSTAR
11-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Not angry at all, just amused. I did run a 4 pack ONCE, but I definitely have a better record with souvlaki, a brilliant 10 pack!!!:D

Maybe the handicapping system is off in Greece.
Maybe your a C and don't know it.
:eek:

But that's ok.
Sure, Ekonomopoulos had a good run at WPM the one year, but Greece is hardly a high end pool country when compared to the rest of the world. Maybe you just haven't been exposed to it.:D

Just like the Greek soccer team will never win the World Cup. EVER.
Maybe Greek pool is also lacking.:rolleyes:

Speaking of souvlaki, what a great idea.
Gonna go gets some with a side of tiropitakia

Bank it
11-03-2015, 03:49 PM
I can't make a ball. [emoji41]

Now there's a tall tale.

snucar
11-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Maybe the handicapping system is off in Greece.
Maybe your a C and don't know it.
:eek:

But that's ok.
You're right. What does Eko know about rating players? I should listen to you more.

Sure, Ekonomopoulos had a good run at WPM the one year, but Greece is hardly a high end pool country when compared to the rest of the world. Maybe you just haven't been exposed to it.:D

You don't follow much the world pool scene, do you? There's only a handful of countries superior to Greece in the world and USA is not one of them. SVB aside, there's no American pool player that comes off as favorite against Ekonomopoulos or even Kazakis. Not bad for a country of only 10 million people. Wouldn't you say?

Just like the Greek soccer team will never win the World Cup. EVER.
Maybe Greek pool is also lacking.:rolleyes:

Does the opinion of an American on soccer even count? lol ...For your information, we've won the Euro Cup in 2004.

SUPERSTAR
11-03-2015, 04:04 PM
You're right. What does Eko know about rating players? I should listen to you more.

You don't follow much the world pool scene, do you? There's only a handful of countries superior to Greece in the world and USA is not one of them. SVB aside, there's no American pool player that comes off as favorite against Ekonomopoulos or even Kazakis. Not bad for a country of only 10 million people. Wouldn't you say?

Does the opinion of an American on soccer even count? lol ...For your information, we've won the Euro Cup in 2004.

Spoken like a true greek ethnocentric. Lol.

snucar
11-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Spoken like a true greek ethnocentric. Lol.

lol

Sounds funny coming from an American!!!

al-capool
11-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Sorry, I ran out the same post 2 times in a row!

al-capool
11-03-2015, 04:41 PM

Hi snucar,
I absolutely agree to your statement,
Just an example:
Dimitri Jungo, who's by far the best Swiss Semi-Proffesional Poolplayer and a very good friend of mine, told me that he ran out once in his lifetime 11 racks of 9-Ball in a row on a 9" Table!
While he was practising alone in the empty Poolhall of his Uncle!

During a match he NEVER made more than 9 racks in a row and he's playing like a PRO!

Some info about Dimitri Jungo (For those who never heard about him before)
36 or 37 times Swiss Champion Cat. Men, Former Junior World Champion, Former European Champion at 14-1 Cat. Men, Still youngest Winner of an Eurotour, Best Word Championship Rank Cat. Men till now: 5th, Best WPA Ranking till now 9th, etc.

When you want to add one more of these "wouldlovetomake" records, you should maybe think twice about your REAL highest number of racks of 9-Ball you ever ran out, before you vote! JMO

But I still also enjoy "most" of these Pool fairy tales!

Very kind regards from Switzerland, Roberto

SUPERSTAR
11-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Although I will say another thing.
I thing the advent of the soft break has also reduced the number of packages overall.

How many illegal breaks were there on the feature table at the U.S. Open?
20-25 years ago, you would have NEVER seen an illegal break.
Instead of people specifically trying to make only the 1 ball or the wing ball, you had them SMASHING THE DAYLIGHTS out of the rack so that not only would the wing ball go, but others did as well.
Much different then today's breaks.

I guess Dimitri Jungo doesn't have the right stuff either.;)

DTL
11-03-2015, 04:45 PM

Neil
11-03-2015, 05:03 PM

Well, I don't know how low you are rating people as pros, but over here in the states, many amateurs have run over 9 racks in a row. I've had a ten pack put on me, and I know of two other guys where one started with a 10 pack, and when his opponent got to the table he put down an 11 pack. Now, this was on a bar table, but some seem to think it is harder to run a pack on a smaller table because of the clusters. Some think it is easier.

As others have stated, what is ludicrous, is you and the op flat out stating that we are liars just because you can't do it and haven't yet seen it done. And, what is sad, is that even after having it explained to you several different ways of how it can be accomplished, you still have zero understanding of what it takes to do it, so you just dismiss it as impossible.

And, it's surprising that you find it incredulous that on a forum of 10,000 or so people, 50+ have stated that they have run at least a 3 pack. I find it amazing that ONLY 50+ people have run a 3 pack or more. 3 packs are no big deal over here among those that can play a little.

SUPERSTAR
11-03-2015, 05:10 PM
It's always this way Neil.
Every time a poll like this comes up. People who have never done it or witnessed it from their top guys, it's not possible.

Funny how people are.

IF THIS GUY DIDN'T DO IT (and he's my hero, i worship him, and want to bear his children) NOBODY RATED LOWER THAN HIM CAN DO IT!

So far, you have Greece and Switzerland on this list in this thread.

Poolmanis
11-03-2015, 05:29 PM

I had to pleasure been 14.1 Finnish Champs week ago and we had again "amateur"
Finnish champ. We had matches to 100 points at 32 cup. Our champion started sunday with safety battle and he did take -1 intentionally. After he got shot he ran 101 out. Next game he ran 100 and out from another player break.
Amateurs are better sometimes than you believe. Life and all comes sometimes between playing pool professionally.
I´ve seen this champion played 9-ball at near 2000 8-cup 9-0 no misses, semifinal 9-1. 1 miss he tried, AND Final 9-0 no misses. I´ve been shut out from competition with 8-pack more than once. Always those packs did come from amateur player.
Good amateur players can be pro speed sometimes(and maybe more than sometimes) but pro players consistency is what amateur players are LF. I count myself with those amateur players who can play pro speed but too rarely to be actually pro.

iusedtoberich
11-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Well, I'm a Greek malaka form the States, and running racks on the local level happens every day.

My best is 3 racks of 9 ball on a 9' GC I think 15 yrs ago, when I was way worse than I am now (I still suck bad, lol). To suggest that local B and higher players can't run 5 racks, or even 10 once in their lifetime, is just not reality. Sure, it does not happen every day. But it happens.

Every mid B player I know has run at least 5 rack.
The A and higher are 7 or more.

These are all local guys no one has ever heard of.

In contrast, sometimes a top pro might not have a super high run. You would think if a local can run 7 or 8, a top pro should have a high run of 20. But as others have pointed out, a lot of this comes down to luck, and getting a shot on the break. One example, I think the last time this topic came about, was I believe Busty. Someone asked him what his high run was, and he said 7 racks. Now, you know that doesn't make sense, but that's the way luck and odds go. (I might be wrong that it was Busty, but it was definitely another TOP TOP TOP pro, the same level as him).

iusedtoberich
11-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Forgot to put my high runs:
9 ball friendly match: 3 racks on a 9' GC
14.1 practice: 30 on a 9' GC, 43 on a 7' Diamond
9 ball ghost: Beat him 7-3 on a 9' GC

I put my speed at low B now.

Neil
11-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Well, I'm a Greek malaka form the States, and running racks on the local level happens every day.

My best is 3 racks of 9 ball on a 9' GC I think 15 yrs ago, when I was way worse than I am now (I still suck bad, lol). To suggest that local B and higher players can't run 5 racks, or even 10 once in their lifetime, is just not reality. Sure, it does not happen every day. But it happens.

Every mid B player I know has run at least 5 rack.
The A and higher are 7 or more.

These are all local guys no one has ever heard of.

In contrast, sometimes a top pro might not have a super high run. You would think if a local can run 7 or 8, a top pro should have a high run of 20. But as others have pointed out, a lot of this comes down to luck, and getting a shot on the break. One example, I think the last time this topic came about, was I believe Busty. Someone asked him what his high run was, and he said 7 racks. Now, you know that doesn't make sense, but that's the way luck and odds go. (I might be wrong that it was Busty, but it was definitely another TOP TOP TOP pro, the same level as him).

As has already been stated, a pro is much more likely to play safe in a tough situation than an amateur is. Thereby limiting their high packages. The amateur, if he feels like it's going good, will take that tough bank shot, or half masse' shot, or real thin cut, just to "keep it going" while it lasts.

Black-Balled
11-03-2015, 06:56 PM
I don't always run out, but when I do... It's from everywhere and always.

Poolmanis
11-03-2015, 07:02 PM
As has already been stated, a pro is much more likely to play safe in a tough situation than an amateur is. Thereby limiting their high packages. The amateur, if he feels like it's going good, will take that tough bank shot, or half masse' shot, or real thin cut, just to "keep it going" while it lasts.

Yes. This is what really happens. I agree with Neil: Pros play with percentages.
Efren went amateur mode 1999 semifinal against Bustamante and we got one of best packages on video.. You hardly see Efren take wild banks but then he did.

snucar
11-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Well, I don't know how low you are rating people as pros, but over here in the states, many amateurs have run over 9 racks in a row. I've had a ten pack put on me, and I know of two other guys where one started with a 10 pack, and when his opponent got to the table he put down an 11 pack.
Wow, you guys over there must be head and shoulders above us here in Europe, because amateurs here can never even dream running 9 racks in a row like MANY of you guys do over there. Impressive stuff, folks!!!

As others have stated, what is ludicrous, is you and the op flat out stating that we are liars just because you can't do it and haven't yet seen it done. And, what is sad, is that even after having it explained to you several different ways of how it can be accomplished, you still have zero understanding of what it takes to do it, so you just dismiss it as impossible.

Telling or explaining some story/fantasy is one thing, proving it is another. I could talk out of my butt all day too, you know.

Player
11-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Wow, you guys over there must be head and shoulders above us here in Europe, because amateurs here can never even dream running 9 racks in a row like MANY of you guys do over there. Impressive stuff, folks!!!

Telling or explaining some story/fantasy is one thing, proving it is another. I could talk out of my butt all day too, you know.

Don't worry, I'm sure that with your population growth lately pool will gain in popularity over there. After all, those migrants will need something to do while they're waiting on their welfare checks.:)

Banks
11-03-2015, 11:04 PM

There are some locals that have thrown down some around or over 9, but they'll even admit they were just flukes. I have friends with runs higher than mine that i can spot or play even with. While these things are fun and nice when you break your own record, they should be kept in mind as that.. a high run. Due to breaking and such, it may mean a bit more in 14.1 of course, since you're not relying on breaking a ball in or a random spread.

worldbeater
11-04-2015, 03:59 AM
One thing you have to understand, is that these are HIGH run records. Not average runs of players. Quite often, ones high run will be considerably higher than their average runs.

I posted a 12. That is a true run. For me, a once in a lifetime run, but I did do it ONCE. My next highest run was a 10 pack, and a few 9 packs. Now, lets break it down just a little to see how that happens....

First thing you need is the ability and focus to run out when the table is runnable. That is a "given". Then, you need a "friendly" rack and the same person racking them the same everytime. Now, that does not mean pattern racking, but having the one in the same spot on the table each time. Along with the friendly rack, goes a friendly table.

By "friendly", I mean a table and racker that gives a consistent rack that just so happens to have the correct gaps in the correct places. My 12 pack was on one table, and my 9's and 10 were on a different table, but the same table for the 9's and 10. And, those were over a two week period. Played on that table many times before, and many times after, and never had the rack break open like it did for those two weeks. And during those two weeks, while playing a crew of construction workers, the same guy was racking for each of those larger runs.

What I know now, and didn't know then, was that the racker had to be consistently putting gaps in the right places by accident that made it conducive to good spreads and balls dropping on the break.

Also, besides the rack and table, the breaker has to recognize what is working, and be able to repeat it rack after rack.

Now, outside of my highest run, and those magical two weeks, my next highest run is down to a 6 pack. Did that ONCE. After that, a number of 4's and 5's. So, for those high runs people have, it's really just a moment in time when everything came together just right to give a good memory. Nothing more than that really. It's surely not indicative of ones normal play.

Alot of truth here.

I broke and ran 7 racks of 9 ball on a 9 foot Brunswick GC. It was a couple years back when I was working on every part of my game. I had taken a lot of practice time working on the break ; maintaining control of the cue ball, playing the one up table or in the side, learning a few break strategies so I could adjust to table conditions with other breaks.

I have had many 4 and 5 packs...when I'm feeling it running 2 or 3 racks happens without me even recalling what happened.

Nobody breaks and runs 20. ...unheard of.

Matt
11-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Well, I don't know how low you are rating people as pros, but over here in the states, many amateurs have run over 9 racks in a row. I've had a ten pack put on me, and I know of two other guys where one started with a 10 pack, and when his opponent got to the table he put down an 11 pack. Now, this was on a bar table, but some seem to think it is harder to run a pack on a smaller table because of the clusters. Some think it is easier.
I think a lot of people are underestimating the effects of the equipment that is being played on. 9-ball on a 7' league table is so much easier to run out than on a 9' pro-cut Diamond that it doesn't even make sense to compare the two. Let the pros play 9-ball on bar boxes for a little while and I bet you will see several packages in the double digits, possibly up into the 20s.

8-ball is a bit of a different story. Because of the extra 6 balls, the cluster potential balances out the difficulty a bit between 7' and 9' tables, but it's still mostly a run-out game. According to the stats, the average open player runs out at least every other rack. That makes the math really easy: you can expect to see an x-pack every 2^x racks, and even more often for a pro.

Black-Balled
11-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Where do you get them runoutt stats?

My recollectkn is that the % is closer to 30 than 50, for top pros...acnwledging that this is tournament figures...and that tourney stats are basically the only stats available. I think a lot of people are underestimating the effects of the equipment that is being played on. 9-ball on a 7' league table is so much easier to run out than on a 9' pro-cut Diamond that it doesn't even make sense to compare the two. Let the pros play 9-ball on bar boxes for a little while and I bet you will see several packages in the double digits, possibly up into the 20s.

8-ball is a bit of a different story. Because of the extra 6 balls, the cluster potential balances out the difficulty a bit between 7' and 9' tables, but it's still mostly a run-out game. According to the stats, the average open player runs out at least every other rack. That makes the math really easy: you can expect to see an x-pack every 2^x racks, and even more often for a pro.

Matt
11-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Where do you get them runoutt stats?

My recollectkn is that the % is closer to 30 than 50, for top pros...acnwledging that this is tournament figures...and that tourney stats are basically the only stats available.
I was going by the stats here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/break.html#statistics), so 50% seemed about right, but it's certainly possible that the stats from those 5 8-ball tournaments aren't representative of the real average.

Poolmanis
11-12-2015, 06:13 PM
This thread made me think why I don´t break my old records even I think i play stronger today.
Here is some key things what i think affects to record runs.

1. 9-ball on spot is common nowadays because racking improved so much lately. At least here Europe. So 1 on spot makes packages easier. I believe it is more common in U.S? That could explain bigger packages somewhat.

2. Trend of tighter tables.

3. Break. Only way to put big packages comes when you are breaking good or getting lucky breaks. To get more chances one need to have good consistent break.

4. Focused play.

5. Hungry for packages. Trying to string em up! :cool:

6. getting some rolls.. :grin:

I got so much motivation to practice breaking that I never have before!!
Been hitting breaks 4-8h per day one week now. My right arm is like spaghetti now :p

I have been recording my breaking. It´s gone way up already but my game is off now due HC-break practice. I believe I can break my 10-ball runout record soon ;)(at least on practice)

seven_7days
11-12-2015, 10:02 PM
I've run 27 consecutive racks of 10 ball on 13 different occasions.
But, I can only do it when no one is looking.

His Boy Elroy
11-13-2015, 12:50 AM
Sorry, I ran out the same post 2 times in a row!
Yeah.....I've done that three times in the last two weeks. The third time I figured out what I was doing to cause it; but, it's too hard to explain. All I can do is speak for the entire AZ community in wishing you good luck in figuring it out yourself.

Swighey
11-13-2015, 03:51 AM
8 Ball: 2 (9 ft), 3 (8 ft)
9 Ball: 3 (9 ft)
English 8 Ball: 2 (7 ft)
Snooker: 84 (12 ft)

The latter was a long time and go and will stand until I die.
The first two will improve (that's my story and I'm sticking to it.....)
English 8 Ball will probably stand too as I'm unlikely to ever play it again

Poolmanis
03-14-2017, 05:53 AM
Young Finnish guy made 2 records of his own yesterday. He first ran 136 at 14.1 and later ran 12 racks of 9-ball. He said he was 10-7 down race to 12 handicapped low money game and ran out set and continued running out after match! opponent was racking with magic rack.:eek:

edit. 9-ball on the spot. Not a single one combination 9-balls.

fastone371
03-14-2017, 12:12 PM
8 ball = 3 on 7' and 9'
9 ball =4 on 7' and 2 on my tight 9' table

zero on the other games because I have not played them