PDA

View Full Version : Should Southwest Cues Sponsor the new U.S. Open 9-Ball Champion, Kevin Cheng?

JAM
11-01-2015, 06:00 AM
I would be interested in learning more about how long Kevin Cheng has been shooting with a Southwest.

Most know there is a waiting list to purchase a Southwest. Is the Southwest cue that Kevin Cheng is shooting with an older model or a newer model? Is there a difference between the older Southwest and the newer ones?

Looking forward to reading more about this Southwest Cue of Kevin's. :cool:

SUPERSTAR
11-01-2015, 06:52 AM
Is there a difference between the older Southwest and the newer ones?

Jerry was alive, then Jerry was dead. :eek: lol

JAM
11-01-2015, 06:53 AM
Jerry was alive, then Jerry was dead. :eek: lol

So there *is* a difference between old Southwest and new Southwest cues?

Which one does Kevin Cheng play with? I wonder.

SUPERSTAR
11-01-2015, 06:59 AM

Yeah, there is "pre" and "post" Jerry's death status.
But I wouldn't be the one to tell you if there is a difference in hit or not as I have only played with the "pre"s.
They play pretty good. But to me, it's not THAT big of a deal.

But like all cues, Southwest as a brand has devoted followers who swear by them, and people that don't care.

alstl
11-01-2015, 07:13 AM
I have no idea how he acquired a Southwest. In fact I never heard of him until now and didn't know he used a Southwest but one thing I do know is Southwest doesn't need to advertise. They have a long waiting list. If they started advertising the result would be a 20 year waiting list and a lot of upset people who were tired of waiting for a cue.

Kickin' Chicken
11-01-2015, 07:27 AM
The cue Kevin used in the US Open was an ebony front Jerry Franklin era cue, very desirable.

I don't know though if he was using a sw shaft; I think he was using an ld shaft, maybe ob or pred. Only guessing on that because the ferrule looked short to me.

best,
brian kc

phil dade
11-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Hi JAM,

To directly address the theme of the thread; no SW Cues should not sponsor anyone unless they simply want to burn money. There is a 11 year waiting lists and guys "sell spots". Jerry has been gone quite some time now. The Jerry era cues can bring a premium and all inlaid cues were from his era. The cues direct from SW are modest in price but on the second market command 2 to 3 times their direct price. BTW, they are easy to sell at those prices.

SW is a 3 person shop, these same people have been at it with and since Jerry. Therefore, I doubt that one could tell the difference in a "Blind Pepsi Test". They have a great feel and hit. It seems the ebony nose cues are most desirable and command a premium.

A sponsorship would only diminish what ever mostest profit thy have because they can not meet demand. Greg Antonakis, ga9ball is the best objective authority on SW.

All the best,
Phil

JAM
11-01-2015, 08:18 AM
Hi JAM,

To directly address the theme of the thread; no SW Cues should not sponsor anyone unless they simply want to burn money. There is a 11 year waiting lists and guys "sell spots". Jerry has been gone quite some time now. The Jerry era cues can bring a premium and all inlaid cues were from his era. The cues direct from SW are modest in price but on the second market command 2 to 3 times their direct price. BTW, they are easy to sell at those prices.

SW is a 3 person shop, these same people have been at it with and since Jerry. Therefore, I doubt that one could tell the difference in a "Blind Pepsi Test". They have a great feel and hit. It seems the ebony nose cues are most desirable and command a premium.

A sponsorship would only diminish what ever mostest profit thy have because they can not meet demand. Greg Antonakis, GW9ball is the best objective authority on SW.

All the best,
Phil

How interesting! Thanks for sharing that SW history.

So it would seem that Southwest are -- or will -- enjoy the same reputation as Balabushkas do today.

I always knew there was that waiting list from reading various threads, and I also have heard many speak about the good "hit" of the SW cue.

I wonder who Kevin Cheng bought his from. Maybe he owes them a jelly roll of sorts. :smile:

ctyhntr
11-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Southwest cues are very popular among Asian, especially with the Taiwanese. Owning a Southwest is considered a mark of a serious player, not a casual banger.

Me and my pre-date Southwest shaft will be ready if I ever walk into a Taiwanese or mainland poolhall. :-)

Kickin' Chicken
11-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Southwest cues are very popular among Asian, especially with the Taiwanese. Owning a Southwest is considered a mark of a serious player, not a casual banger.

Me and my pre-date Southwest shaft will be ready if I ever walk into a Taiwanese or mainland poolhall. :-)

You mean to sell it? :grin-square: :grinning-moose: :lmao: :rotflmao1:

sorry, couldn't resist.

best,
brian kc

couldnthinkof01
11-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Jam do you know if southwest has ever sponsored a player?

vagabond
11-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Quality of the Southwest cue is NOT same after Kirshonbock (Don`t know the correct spelling) left Jerry Franklin in late 80s and went to Chicago. It is Kirshonbock that is the brains behind Southwest cues.

Kid Dynomite
11-01-2015, 08:57 AM
I wonder who Kevin Cheng bought his from. Maybe he owes them a jelly roll of sorts. :smile:

First, I love the "new" avatar

second, the tiawan players all come from the academy. The academy provides a top notch training facility and that includes cues and equipment. The head of the facility is a big southwest fan in my opinion and out fits the players with Southwest cues. They start very early! Apparently, the high up politician is a big pool fan and funds this because it looks expensive. Also, WU won and jumped ship to only get sent off to the military if he did not return and a "BIG" political movement occurred against him. He regrets the decision 'Now" in my opinion. it was pretty bad for him. But, he was already rewarded an extra 100,000 US dollars plus his 100,000 US dollar world title earnings. Means he is wealthy in an economy where people make 1 to 2 thousand a year!

Use the chrome browser as it converts and translates the language for you!

FYI you will love this video!

Just wanted to cite the post I got this from below! Give the poster credit!
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=265914

Link:
http://www.top147.com/news/main/2012...0214108178.htm

KD

JAM
11-01-2015, 09:08 AM
First, I love the "new" avatar

second, the tiawan players all come from the academy. The academy provides a top notch training facility and that includes cues and equipment. The head of the facility is a big southwest fan in my opinion and out fits the players with Southwest cues. They start very early! Apparently, the high up politician is a big pool fan and funds this because it looks expensive. Also, WU won and jumped ship to only get sent off to the military if he did not return and a "BIG" political movement occurred against him. He regrets the decision 'Now" in my opinion. it was pretty bad for him. But, he was already rewarded an extra 100,000 US dollars plus his 100,000 US dollar world title earnings. Means he is wealthy in an economy where people make 1 to 2 thousand a year!

Use the chrome browser as it converts and translates the language for you!

FYI you will love this video!

Just wanted to cite the post I got this from below! Give the poster credit!
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=265914

Link:
http://www.top147.com/news/main/2012...0214108178.htm

KD

I love this post, Kid. Thank you for sharing. I remember the Wu-Wu debacle, poor kid. Here's my Wu thread: Troubles for Wu (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=240310).

ga9ball
11-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Been saying this for years! " SOUTH WEST = THE BEST "

Look at just a small sampling from 2015, every major has been won shooting with a SW cue. Kevin just won the US Open & Beijing Open back to back! Ko won the World 10 Ball, and he and Chang won the doubles, both shooting SW.

Yang beat everyone in the day shooting with a SW, and Wu won the Worlds with one. There are many other top ranked Asian players using SW cues also, so their must be a reason.
Ga Young Kim won challenge of Champions, and so many other tournaments shooting SW! Siming Chen won the Beijing Open shooting SW, and not sure if any woman would enjoy playing either.
Let's not forget our own Tommy Kennedy won the US Open playing with a SW too ; )

Kevin swears by SW, and l will also.

As far as the Jerry era cues playing better, l will only say l think the Old Wood was better!
The SW cues today are made on the exact same machinery, by the exact same people since 1985, so not much has changed.
Laurie Franklin is a class act, and the SW crew Mickey ( Jerry's nephew ) has been making the cues since 1985, and Al Lawrence l believe since 1989.
Laurie kept this business going strong on her beliefs that an excellent product will endure!
The list is 12-13 years long for a good reason, the cues are made from beautiful woods with a distinct hit. A lot of this is due to the build, and the taper. The butt and shaft are not equal parts in length, which l believe is the only maker who does this, other than the originator of this design David Paul Kersenbrock ( DPK )
David's genius was the forefront of SW, and he should be acknowledged!

Well l could probably go on, but the " Proof is in the Pudding " and SW is making some delicious Pudding!
In the years to come, l think even more major events will be won with a SW also!
I know their will be people rushing on here to bash SW cues, but that will never change the desire to own them!

I will ask Kevin at Steinway some details on his Ebony Nose cue, and post what he says.

Thank you Phil for your comment that l have some general knowledge on SW cues. Collected many and sold more, and continue to play with one, as do both my Son's.

Congrats to Kevin Cheng, he played flawless, and undefeated through l believe the toughest US Open Field ever amassed.

" South West = The Best "

Kid Dynomite
11-01-2015, 09:21 AM
look at this group photo

Pretty old!!

KD

overlord
11-01-2015, 09:26 AM
The cue Kevin used in the US Open was an ebony front Jerry Franklin era cue, very desirable.

I don't know though if he was using a sw shaft; I think he was using an ld shaft, maybe ob or pred. Only guessing on that because the ferrule looked short to me.

best,
brian kc

The ferrule was long as far as I could tell. The ring on the shaft was odd.

sluan
11-01-2015, 09:33 AM

best,
brian kc

Kevin is using a SW shaft at the moment (Miyun & US Open, possibly Steinway too), but may change to a custom shaft in near future.

I know he's brought that custom shaft with him, but is hesitate to change right now (which makes perfect sense IMO, why rush the change after a great success at US Open?)

sammi sam
11-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Dear Kid.
The photo was not related to Taiwan((Chinese Taipei)). So please double check your story again.
Cheers

PoolBum
11-01-2015, 10:39 AM
I don't think South West (not "Southwest") cues sponsor any players, do they?

alstl
11-01-2015, 10:41 AM
How interesting! Thanks for sharing that SW history.

So it would seem that Southwest are -- or will -- enjoy the same reputation as Balabushkas do today.

I always knew there was that waiting list from reading various threads, and I also have heard many speak about the good "hit" of the SW cue.

Does it look like this?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=404801&highlight=ebony+southwest

JAM
11-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Does it look like this?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=404801&highlight=ebony+southwest

I do not know. It would be nice to see a photo of Kevin Cheng's cue. Does anybody have one?

ga9ball
11-01-2015, 11:07 AM
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/ga9ball/IMG_4735_zpspbfn4lvk.jpg

Hope this works! Kevin's cue

JAM
11-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Z5HDN7R9

Hoe this works! Kevin's cue

Who you callin' a "hoe," Willis? :D

Thanks for sharing, ga9ball. I cannot see the photo very well, but that number helps. :cool:

ga9ball
11-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Who you callin' a "hoe," Willis? :D

Thanks for sharing, ga9ball. I cannot see the photo very well, but that number helps. :cool:

Sorry Jennie, damn auto correct! I got his pic in there, I think he changed the linen to black recently!
Great cue, nothing fancy, he does all the fancy stuff on the table!

And yes it is 2 words - South West

NYC cue dude
11-01-2015, 11:54 AM
I've owned a bunch of SW cues over the years. They never really tickled my fancy. Ginky and I bought quite a few in the late 80's when they were $600 and Laurie would slip us in within a few months of waiting.

My biggest regret was never ordering anything special. There was a brief time when they were actually inlaying their cactus logo and other such things and labeled them "fancy". Today, they all look the same and they no longer work with ebony, their most sought out variations. Today, IMO, the nicest southwestern are the wrapless ones.

pt109
11-01-2015, 11:57 AM
I have no idea how he acquired a Southwest. In fact I never heard of him until now and didn't know he used a Southwest but one thing I do know is Southwest doesn't need to advertise. They have a long waiting list. If they started advertising the result would be a 20 year waiting list and a lot of upset people who were tired of waiting for a cue.

Yep, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for nothing?

Small enterprises that make quality items sell on merit alone.
If they got into advertising, expect a reduction in quality.

I suppose you want your South West back now, too.

overlord
11-01-2015, 12:34 PM
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/ga9ball/IMG_4735_zpspbfn4lvk.jpg

Hope this works! Kevin's cue

I did not see the shaft in close up and can see the rings match. I thought it was a SW shaft cause of the way the finish is applied to the first part of the shaft. The Chinese players are making a cult of these cues.

I am one of the cult members. 2008 Gaboon ebony nose SW with tulip wood points and A & B rings that is what I play with.. I had a plain Pauferro that I traded for a Pruett. That plain SW was an early 80s with micarta ferrules and hit very solid.

Jack Justis
11-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Heck no!

Once you start where do you stop.

They don't need more business.

Bank it
11-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Does any Custom Cue Maker sponsor anyone? I don't think so. It seems only companies like Lucasi, Cuetech, Mezz,OB do this

terryhanna
11-01-2015, 01:56 PM
Does any Custom Cue Maker sponsor anyone? I don't think so. It seems only companies like Lucasi, Cuetech, Mezz,OB do this
Steve Lomax sponsors Justin Bergman he uses one now and Steve said he is building Justin a new cue right now.

LuckyStroke
11-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Diveney sponsors a handful of guys. I'm pretty sure Efren is using one

Ben

r9ball
11-01-2015, 02:10 PM
regarding OP,,,,, The pre and post Jerry South Wests I have played with, all were solid. Changing the ferrule material and/or tip gave them a different feel when cue ball was struck, but all were solid.
The one I like the hit best is the SW that Greg had/has that I picked up for Brad Simpson in Vegas in mid 90s. It is on Blue Book cover. To me it had a hard hit. All wood, no wrap.
There is a difference in the old yellow Westinghouse micarta and the melamine they use now, I prefer the old micarta but too cheap to pay the premium cost.

terryhanna
11-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Ko Pin Yi uses a Southwest too that means World 10 Ball,World 9 Ball and US Open all were won by players using a Southwest.

gxman
11-01-2015, 02:30 PM
I remember watching streams and it was mentioned Wang Can uses Southwest.

I think they(Chinese/Taiwan) all have one.

RiverCity
11-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Ko Pin Yi uses a Southwest too that means World 10 Ball,World 9 Ball and US Open all were won by players using a Southwest.

And.................

Im guessing the list just jumped to 20 years........ :grin:

sammi sam
11-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Kevin not use any LD shafts to whoever think it is.
Cheers

cueaddicts
11-01-2015, 05:39 PM
SW is already at the top of the heap when it comes to desirability and reputation of their product, so there's really nothing SW could gain from sponsoring a player aside from pure charity. They already have more orders than they could ever want.

alstl
11-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Yep, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for nothing?

Small enterprises that make quality items sell on merit alone.
If they got into advertising, expect a reduction in quality.

I suppose you want your South West back now, too.

I assume you are referring to the Southwest I broke Mosconi's 526 with. You can keep the cue but I would like to have the video of the record run back if you are finished with it. Please don't tell me you erased it. It's the only copy I have.

Shawn Armstrong
11-01-2015, 07:14 PM
I remember watching streams and it was mentioned Wang Can uses Southwest.

I think they(Chinese/Taiwan) all have one.

Fong Pang Chao used a Gina for the longest time. Same with Jennifer Chen. Jen had a beautiful McDaniel. When Chao was working with Yang, I think they both had SWs. Very popular brand in Asia. Some bang up players using them. Makes you think about the low deflection craze, because if you've played with a SW, you'll know they aren't exactly low deflection, but they play very consistently.

Black-Balled
11-01-2015, 07:27 PM
SW is already at the top of the heap when it comes to desirability and reputation of their product, so there's really nothing SW could gain from sponsoring a player aside from pure charity. They already have more orders than they could ever want.

I agree with all those that opined as such...sponsorship is an effort to increase demand.

Increased demand does nothing to benefit the SW shop.

ctyhntr
11-01-2015, 08:06 PM
When our own Steve Kurz and Charlie Eames ran the 14.1 Challenge, I believe Pete Tonkin provided the raffle cues.

one stroke
11-01-2015, 08:20 PM
I agree with all those that opined as such...sponsorship is an effort to increase demand.

Yep unless they want some to be recognized ,, or have intentions to expand by some aspects thier realy flying under the radar even though several cue makers copy thier cues

Hidy Ho
11-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Dear Kid.
The photo was not related to Taiwan((Chinese Taipei)). So please double check your story again.
Cheers

Sadly, most Americans don't know the difference ...

pt109
11-01-2015, 09:12 PM
I assume you are referring to the Southwest I broke Mosconi's 526 with. You can keep the cue but I would like to have the video of the record run back if you are finished with it. Please don't tell me you erased it. It's the only copy I have.

Sorry, Al....the dog ate the tape....he's had the runs ever since.

Baron
11-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Diveney sponsors a handful of guys. I'm pretty sure Efren is using one

Ben

He is as well as Santos Sambajon, but that Efren guy changes cues more often than he changes his socks. The Diviney he's currently playing with is beautiful.

I think Lambros sponsors Robb Saez and QB sponsors the Freezer, just to add to the "custom guys who sponsor" list

JoeyInCali
11-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Sadly, most Americans don't know the difference ...
Republic of Formosa. :D

PhilosopherKing
11-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Did the Taiwanese contingent visit the shop when they were in Vegas last year?

pwd72s
11-02-2015, 12:11 AM

Bingo!..........

PhilosopherKing
11-02-2015, 12:21 AM
Bingo!..........

They could always sell the name to Helmstetter and become a production line?

Hidy Ho
11-02-2015, 12:26 AM
He is as well as Santos Sambajon, but that Efren guy changes cues more often than he changes his socks. The Diviney he's currently playing with is beautiful.

I think Lambros sponsors Robb Saez and QB sponsors the Freezer, just to add to the "custom guys who sponsor" list

It looks like Efren is rotating through few of his cues, in recent time. He was playing with his old Mezz made cue and now it looks like he's back playing with Diveney Titleist looking cue?

Oscar Dominguez just posted his new Exceed cue from his sponsor Mezz on his FB.

fish2
11-02-2015, 01:43 AM
When a player is sponsored by a cue maker. Does that include tournament fees ?

djyadj
11-02-2015, 01:50 AM
When a player is sponsored by a cue maker. Does that include tournament fees ?

Depends on their deal :embarrassed2:

Danimal
11-02-2015, 02:03 AM
I would be interested in learning more about how long Kevin Cheng has been shooting with a Southwest.

Most know there is a waiting list to purchase a Southwest. Is the Southwest cue that Kevin Cheng is shooting with an older model or a newer model? Is there a difference between the older Southwest and the newer ones?

Looking forward to reading more about this Southwest Cue of Kevin's. :cool:

I hit with his cue in NY prior to going down for the Open.

It's a 1998, with a jet black gaboon ebony nose and birdseye maple points. No veneers.

SW original shaft, measured at 13mm.

He told me he has had it for about 3 or 4 years. He was offered 5k for the cue in the past year, a good amount higher than what he paid for it. That was before he snapped off the Open.

SW waiting list is in the ballpark of 12 years, they don't need to offer sponsorships to drum up any more business.

trob
11-02-2015, 02:21 AM
Sponsorship is for advertising.... Why the heck would a shop that's like 13 years out in cue builds need to advertise lol

JAM
11-02-2015, 03:19 AM

It's a 1998, with a jet black gaboon ebony nose and birdseye maple points. No veneers.

He told me he has had it for about 3 or 4 years. He was offered 5k for the cue in the past year, a good amount higher than what he paid for it. That was before he snapped off the Open.

SW waiting list is in the ballpark of 12 years, they don't need to offer sponsorships to drum up any more business.

Thank you for sharing the details about this SW cue of Kevin's. I appreciate it very much, as I am sure do other readers of this forum. Good stuff! :cool:

Shawn Armstrong
11-02-2015, 06:03 AM
Sponsorship is for advertising.... Why the heck would a shop that's like 13 years out in cue builds need to advertise lol

Is that how long the wait list has become at SW??

DawgAndy
11-02-2015, 06:20 AM
And.................

Im guessing the list just jumped to 20 years........ :grin:

if it wasn't for the already huge market for SW cues in Asia the wait wouldn't be near the whatever it is now

JoeyA
11-02-2015, 08:11 AM
No! Southwest Cues should not sponsor Kevin.

But some other cue manufacturer should strongly consider a long-term contract of sponsorship with this very young and talented player.

It is expensive to travel across the globe and like most highly talented players, Cheng Yu Hsuan can play with any cue.

JoeyA

SouthernDraw
11-02-2015, 09:08 AM
SVB plays pretty strong with his South West cue!!!

.......................Ooops, it was just pointed out to me that he plays with a Cuetec. I believe that they are close second, right? So, someone close to Shane should impress to him the importance of a South West in winning a major tournament! It is the only thing holding him behind!

I know, this sounds like I'm being a little too fictitious. And I do believe that they are a great cue, for many reasons. But, if you believe that a South West cue gives one "top World player" even the slightest edge over another "top World Player" playing with any other quality brand you are naive.

BTW, does anyone know the number of SW cues being imported to Asia at premium prices? I'm under the impression that it is pretty high. And most of the recent top world tournaments have been won by Asian players in Asia.

Alex Kanapilly
11-02-2015, 09:09 AM

I don't think so. The "pre" cues are worth more to collectors but I've played with all kinds of southwests and own two. I can't tell the difference. I think the newer ones play great. I have one that's just over a year old and one that's about 15 years old... both of mine are "post" though.

Dognit
11-05-2015, 02:44 AM
As mentioned, same manufacturing methodologies by the same craftsmen. Only variables are OLD wood and Westinghouse Mfgd Micarta Ferrules.

In my experience, no real difference from old to new. I think the tonality of the woods is the biggest variable, personally. I have old and new, and have hit with about 20 various, to make this determination. I think Greg will agree with all of this..

Ken_4fun
11-05-2015, 05:17 AM
Several thougths....

I suggest the most championships have been won with Cuetek cues not Southwest by about 1000 to 1.

Second one would probably be Meucci. For a long time, all the greats were in Bob's stable and all played with Meucci cues.

As far as the best playing Southwest cue I ever played with or even hit with was the Southwest that came out of Cincinnati that used to be owned by Jason Miller. It was perhaps the best playing cue I have ever hit with - period. As much as I hated to trade it, I traded it plus cash to get my first Szamboti cue.

My Franklin Southwest has an ebony front and it a great player. It is the cue I usually let my friends play with if they need a cue for some reason....:thumbup:

Best of rolls for all,

Ken

Shawn Armstrong
11-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Several thougths....

I suggest the most championships have been won with Cuetek cues not Southwest by about 1000 to 1.

Second one would probably be Meucci. For a long time, all the greats were in Bob's stable and all played with Meucci cues.

As far as the best playing Southwest cue I ever played with or even hit with was the Southwest that came out of Cincinnati that used to be owned by Jason Miller. It was perhaps the best playing cue I have ever hit with - period. As much as I hated to trade it, I traded it plus cash to get my first Szamboti cue.

My Franklin Southwest has an ebony front and it a great player. It is the cue I usually let my friends play with if they need a cue for some reason....[emoji106]

Best of rolls for all,

Ken
Need any new friends to play with? [emoji4]

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

JoeyA
11-06-2015, 08:07 AM
I believe there is a gentleman in Texas who collect U.S. Open 9 Ball champion's cue sticks (the one that they won the event with.)

JoeyA

RBC
11-06-2015, 09:44 AM
I believe there is a gentleman in Texas who collect U.S. Open 9 Ball champion's cue sticks (the one that they won the event with.)

JoeyA

Joey

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think Denny may be in Las Vegas these days.

HI, by the way! How are things going these days?

Royce