PDA

View Full Version : Joint pin issue?

troyjk1
11-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Hey all, this is my first time posting on this site, and overall, this forum has been very useful.
So here's my issue. I bought a Players HXT-e20 cue some while back. It has a 5/16x18 piloted black collar joint. The female end joint is wood. Just recently I bought a predator 314-2 shaft, 5/16x18 joint pin. However, I didn't realize that it was a flat face black collar, not piloted. As a result, when I screw in the predator shaft onto my players butt, there's a space where the pilot should be. I also noticed that the shaft's joint circumference is a hairline smaller than the circumference of the butt's female joint, so you can feel it when you run your hands over that area.
I'm wondering if any of this is a problem, in terms of performance or feel. I've played with it and it seems to play great, but I don't have anything to really compare it to.
Thanks for all your help.

ElCorazonFrio
11-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Hey all, this is my first time posting on this site, and overall, this forum has been very useful.
So here's my issue. I bought a Players HXT-e20 cue some while back. It has a 5/16x18 piloted black collar joint. The female end joint is wood. Just recently I bought a predator 314-2 shaft, 5/16x18 joint pin. However, I didn't realize that it was a flat face black collar, not piloted. As a result, when I screw in the predator shaft onto my players butt, there's a space where the pilot should be. I also noticed that the shaft's joint circumference is a hairline smaller than the circumference of the butt's female joint, so you can feel it when you run your hands over that area.
I'm wondering if any of this is a problem, in terms of performance or feel. I've played with it and it seems to play great, but I don't have anything to really compare it to.
Thanks for all your help.

Won't cause damage and you probably wouldn't ever be able to tell the difference by feel.

Pilots rarely do much for hit.

cuesblues
11-03-2015, 12:00 PM
It will work but between the difference in joint diameters and flat face connection, I don't like it.

You have a lot of options to get it perfect.
One suggestion would be to sell the 314-2, buy a new 314-3 partial, and have it fitted to your cue by a cuemaker.

troyjk1
11-03-2015, 01:07 PM
It will work but between the difference in joint diameters and flat face connection, I don't like it.

You have a lot of options to get it perfect.
One suggestion would be to sell the 314-2, buy a new 314-3 partial, and have it fitted to your cue by a cuemaker.

What are the other options?

fish2
11-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Send it off to a cue maker to have it refinished. basically they would add finish to the shaft to make it level. Alternatively, they can remove finish from the butt to make it level, this depends on how thick the finish is.

Thinking about the cost of the repair, it might be better (cheaper) to sell the players cue and get a butt from Predator or return the shaft and get a whole new cue.

cuesblues
11-03-2015, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=troyjk1;5348389]What are the other

The joint diameter differential may bother some people, so here is an old break cue (probably an old OB) where you can see how they swedged the joint up, and there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference.

The brass nubbin on a standard piloted 314-2 shaft looks kind of small, so I doubt it makes much of a difference if it's there or not.