PDA

View Full Version : Building a backyard pool room

Halfjack87
11-03-2015, 11:14 AM
The trigger has been pulled! :D

I am building my pool room in my back yard. Just got the slab poured! I'm not a construction guy and I make a poor general contractor, but it looks like I'll have a finished pool room before Christmas.

I wanted to post my drawing now, and then we'll see how close we get over the next several weeks. So here's my first attempt at posting images to this forum...
(somebody let me know if I need to hotlink instead of attaching)

EDIT: Changed pic from possible pool table to purchased table

drv4
11-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Awesome! I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Keep us posted. I really want to get a 9ft gold crown or diamond proam when I finally take the plunge.

stutz
11-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Sweet can't wait to see updates

michael4
11-03-2015, 12:52 PM
looks good. since it looks like you have plumbing, I might have tried to squeeze in a bathroom.

Best of luck!

ROB.M
11-03-2015, 12:58 PM
I'd choose another table, the brunswick table in picture is far from a " players table "
Highly suggest a used and tuned up gold crown.

Rob.M

Stew_Pidaso
11-03-2015, 12:59 PM
What are your overall dimensions of the building? Also, if not too personal, approximate cost of just the building? Something like this is the only way I'd be able to have a 9' table is if I built a dedicated building like this. Btw, congrats.

ohmike
11-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Dont forget heat of some type and AC...looking foward to more pics

macguy
11-03-2015, 02:01 PM
The trigger has been pulled! :D

I am building my pool room in my back yard. Just got the slab poured! I'm not a construction guy and I make a poor general contractor, but it looks like I'll have a finished pool room before Christmas.

I wanted to post my drawing now, and then we'll see how close we get over the next several weeks. So here's my first attempt at posting images to this forum...
(somebody let me know if I need to hotlink instead of attaching)

Have you considered at all a steel building? I have some property up in Tallahassee with a mobile home on it and I plan on moving up there sometime soon. I have not been without my own table for like 50 years I would not know what it is like.

So I have been looking into steel buildings to put my shop and pool table in. I want to build a house also but don't want anything very big so having an out building for my pool table would be good.

Not so much any of these but along the same line

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/lp/steel-buildings/?HWTRACK=C:New+English+Campaign,A:Steel+Buildings, K:steel+buildings,M:Exact,S:Google&gclid=CO3-6-aS9cgCFVcSHwodtW8M3A

rhinobywilhite
11-03-2015, 02:03 PM
I see a stub up for electrical but do not see plumbing.

Nice layout and wish you the best on completion.

macguy
11-03-2015, 02:04 PM
I'd choose another table, the brunswick table in picture is far from a " players table "
Highly suggest a used and tuned up gold crown.

Rob.M
I agree, after all that work get a table you will own and happily play on for many years. A good table is one of the cheapest things you will ever buy, it will last you a life time. How many things can you say that about.

ProZack
11-03-2015, 02:25 PM
I would suggest getting a Diamond or Gold Crown. There are some other options too. With these furniture tables I find they are really inconsistent playing tables.

I assume you want to get better... Well you'll want something similar to what you compete on.

Halfjack87
11-03-2015, 02:43 PM
To answer comments so far:

The overall dimensions are 18 x 26. It was going to be 18 x 30 with a bathroom, but cost just got away from me, and in the end we made the hard decision to lose the plumbing.

Cooling is by a large window-unit (and ceiling fans), heating is by a pair of oscillating ceramic floor heaters (Ft. Worth, TX) - I'm sheetrocking and using spray-foam insulation, so it should be fine.

Price?, hmmm, no reason be secretive - Slab is 4K at $8/sq, Mueller steel building was $4.4k, labor for the metal building contracted at $4/sq (1.8k), spray-foam insulation $1.2k, interior framing for sheetrock walls and 8 ft ceiling is coming in just over $3k. Beyond that, I'm using laminate planking for the flooring (700-1k), the murals I'm getting are $300 each. Please do not discuss the pricing further on this thread, I'm not really happy about my total costs!

The pool table is hard to discuss on this forum. There's nothing I can say that's not Gold Crown or ProAm that will be generally acceptable.

I am looking for used Gold Crowns and Sport Kings, but can't tell perfect from damaged in used tables. If I find one I feel really good about, I'll probably give it a chance, for better quality and less money I'll take the age - but only if I'm convinced the table is in excellent shape...

If I go for a new table, then the 9 ft Glenwood is about as much as I can afford. At $4k, I get a nice looking 9 ft Brunswick. The most I could consider spending would be $5k. The only other new table I'm considering is the Centurion. New or used, and which one, will all be a game-time decision.

Allen Brown
11-03-2015, 02:58 PM
I'm admiring the four window units in your house!!!! My goodness is your electric bill not sky high in the summer?

If you insulate that metal building really well you shouldn't have to worry about heating and cooling too much with a window unit.

For 5k you could easily find a 9ft Diamond or a very nice Gold Crown. You could even afford to drive a ways to pick them up or have your mechanic do it.

Dockter
11-03-2015, 03:24 PM

The overall dimensions are 18 x 26. It was going to be 18 x 30 with a bathroom, but cost just got away from me, and in the end we made the hard decision to lose the plumbing.

Cooling is by a large window-unit (and ceiling fans), heating is by a pair of oscillating ceramic floor heaters (Ft. Worth, TX) - I'm sheetrocking and using spray-foam insulation, so it should be fine.

Price?, hmmm, no reason be secretive - Slab is 4K at $8/sq, Mueller steel building was $4.4k, labor for the metal building contracted at $4/sq (1.8k), spray-foam insulation $1.2k, interior framing for sheetrock walls and 8 ft ceiling is coming in just over $3k. Beyond that, I'm using laminate planking for the flooring (700-1k), the murals I'm getting are $300 each. Please do not discuss the pricing further on this thread, I'm not really happy about my total costs!

The pool table is hard to discuss on this forum. There's nothing I can say that's not Gold Crown or ProAm that will be generally acceptable.

I am looking for used Gold Crowns and Sport Kings, but can't tell perfect from damaged in used tables. If I find one I feel really good about, I'll probably give it a chance, for better quality and less money I'll take the age - but only if I'm convinced the table is in excellent shape...

If I go for a new table, then the 9 ft Glenwood is about as much as I can afford. At $4k, I get a nice looking 9 ft Brunswick. The most I could consider spending would be $5k. The only other new table I'm considering is the Centurion. New or used, and which one, will all be a game-time decision.

My aunt just got the same table. If you are dead set on this table get the pockets shimmed, they are HUGE. The tables not terrible, but I've seen used Diamonds go in the 4k range.

Texas Carom Club
11-03-2015, 03:28 PM
man I wish I had a lot to do the same,

Stew_Pidaso
11-03-2015, 05:28 PM

I appreciate your reply, it was very helpful and informative. Good luck.

Charlie Hustle
11-03-2015, 08:44 PM
As others have stated, over time you will regret your decision of not getting a Gold Crown or a Diamond. With your budget you can find a very nice used Diamond, or a Gold Crown II-IV around $1000-$2500 with enough money over to have it refelted and have nice new rails put on it as well. Good luck either way and keep us updated with progress pictures! :thumbup:

Black-Balled
11-03-2015, 09:09 PM
For 4k, you can get 2 gold crowns!

Find out who the best mechanic around you is, then tell him you want a used gold crow that plays right.. Take your time and do it right, you are gonna be stuck with that table for a loooong time.

And Craigslist is littered with people trying to unload those furniture tables. Don't be a buy-new victim.

Charlie Hustle
11-03-2015, 09:28 PM
For 4k, you can get 2 gold crowns!

Find out who the best mechanic around you is, then tell him you want a used gold crow that plays right.. Take your time and do it right, you are gonna be stuck with that table for a loooong time.

And Craigslist is littered with people trying to unload those furniture tables. Don't be a buy-new victim.

Is there an echo in here? ;)

Allen Brown
11-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Is there an echo in here? ;)

Nah, it's the imaginary voices again.
Hopefully the OP will show us a pic of a used 9ft Diamond in there soon.

Colormegone2002
11-04-2015, 04:07 AM
At the price quoted,I don't think you got hurt very bad. The building will outlast all of

us. I built my room a year ago or so and did all the work myself. 20x24. Bout killed

myself and didn't beat that price by a substantial amount. Mine is not anything

that I would consider over the top and I still came in around 12,000.

As far as the table, all I can do is echo what has been said. You shouldn't have

any trouble finding a used table that while it may not be as pretty as a home

table, it will definitely last longer and play much better for around half the

price.

Congrats on your new place and I hope you enjoy whatever you put in there

for years to come.

PS, check this out
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/5275837450.html

Halfjack87
11-04-2015, 04:41 AM
Getting tired of the echoes - as I said, I am looking for used, and have not decided on a table yet.

I have gotten some suggested mechanics in my area, the first two I tried were no-joy, but have a few more recommendations I'm going through.

I am looking at some local Gold Crowns, but they're not easy for me to find, and so far the best one I've seen has ball return, which I don't want. I welcome any help finding one. (PM me)

Not interested in Diamond - personal preference.

DallasHopps
11-04-2015, 05:09 AM
Don't let a ball return stop you if the table is otherwise acceptable; drop pockets are cheap enough, and your installer might trade you a good set for the ball return setup.

RiverCity
11-04-2015, 05:27 AM
I just put a Gold Crown 3 in my garage. The table was under under 2500 installed with new simonis 860hr, brand new pockets etc. I worked a deal to get the sub rails extended and new superspeed. I painted the castings with hammerrite, and its good to go. :thumbup:

Hold out for a crown....crown......crown...... crown..... ;)

Halfjack87
11-04-2015, 08:31 AM
I just put a Gold Crown 3 in my garage. The table was under under 2500 installed with new simonis 860hr, brand new pockets etc. I worked a deal to get the sub rails extended and new superspeed. I painted the castings with hammerrite, and its good to go. :thumbup:

Hold out for a crown....crown......crown...... crown..... ;)

Very pretty! - Like what you did to the steel at the pockets!

BTW: Finally got in touch with a guy I think can help me - going to see him and his tables this Saturday (3 GCs, etc - rebuild guy in Sachsey).

Halfjack87
11-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Yep - bought myself a Gold Crown II. The guy doing the work is replacing the pockets and cushions and repainting, etc. It will have Simonis 860 cloth when set up.
:smile:

My building itself has been no joy for a few weeks now - builder schedule + rain. Hope to have some progress starting next week... :frown:

Halfjack87
11-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Finally moving forward again - got the material today and the metal building should go up next week (start Monday 2-day job, but weather...)

dnixon
11-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Good for you. Can't wait to see the finished product

JumpinJoe
11-21-2015, 12:04 AM
You live in Dallas?
Shane Johnson lives there and is the best table mechanic in Texas. He is very good. Learned a ton from one of the best on the planet. If you need him PM me your info and I'll pass it along to him.

If that's who you already got then your in great hands.

Halfjack87
11-21-2015, 06:58 AM
You live in Dallas?
Shane Johnson lives there and is the best table mechanic in Texas. He is very good. Learned a ton from one of the best on the planet. If you need him PM me your info and I'll pass it along to him.

If that's who you already got then your in great hands.

I did try to contact Shane, but got an unidentified VM message, followed by a mailbox full message - rechecked the number from multiple listings here - no joy reaching him.

Jeffrey Sorrell's doing my table - really comfortable with him. Restoring the tables is obviously his lifestyle and I trust him to do good work.

jay helfert
11-21-2015, 12:05 PM

You really didn't do bad on the pricing here. You will have a sound structure and a very comfortable place to play pool and enjoy yourself. Go man-cave all the way; big screen TV (Vizio is inexpensive and very good), nice music system (a Bose radio will do wonders in a small space like that - $400), a small frig for refreshments (cheap at Costco or Walmart), maybe even a microwave for cooking up a quick snack! Now you've really got it going on there. I'll stop by next time I'm in the neighborhood! :)

You don't really need a bathroom (especially with a big back yard :grin:). If you want to save some money and still have a jam up table, look for a used Gold Crown in good condition. A really nice GCIV can be had for 2K!

Most of all ENJOY!

Lawnboy77
11-22-2015, 08:29 AM
That project is looking great! I think the price is good to, heck just a good portable building that is 12' X 20' will cost 5 to 6 grand, so one like you have that is much bigger with the concrete foundation, insulated good for 14 grand seems like a good deal to me.

Halfjack87
11-25-2015, 05:54 PM
The ditches are in progress - about half depth - left is electric, right is internet, back ditch is water-flow management.

Still no vertical metal - Mon thru Fri next week is currently forecast clear, so maybe we'll finally get it done...

Dan White
11-25-2015, 07:34 PM
I'm thinking the little white dog inside the chain link fence in your first photo is getting excited watching his brand new dog house going up! :D

Halfjack87
11-26-2015, 05:23 AM
I'm thinking the little white dog inside the chain link fence in your first photo is getting excited watching his brand new dog house going up! :D

Oh, yes, they sing to me while I work - they're very excited. I think somebody showed them the pictures of dogs being allowed to play poker and shoot pool...
;)

Dan White
11-26-2015, 07:14 AM
Oh, yes, they sing to me while I work - they're very excited. I think somebody showed them the pictures of dogs being allowed to play poker and shoot pool...
;)

Just be careful with your new cloth.

Dead Money
11-27-2015, 01:59 AM
Just be careful with your new cloth.

I never get tired of seeing those old pictures! :D

Halfjack87
12-21-2015, 12:31 PM
After 7 weeks of unanticipated delay....
The steel is finally getting up off the ground and forming into something useful!

Halfjack87
12-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Next up, framing for the sheetrock..

BTW: My pool table is now ready and waiting for me! The guy doing the restoration work just finished all his work on it and is now storing it for me unassembled.

lorider
12-22-2015, 05:38 PM
looks great ! can't wait to see the finished product.

TheBook
12-22-2015, 06:27 PM
I would eliminate the windows as they will cause glare, not energy effiecient and are a easy break in and you don't really need the light from them. Would only have them if wanting to use for ventilation but then humidity may be a factor.

i would also have the tv by the table or sitting area for use as a man cave.

I would consider putting the door close to the house and move the pool table to the opposite end where the door is. This will give you more usable space for the sitting or man cave area.

Don't know what the climate is but I would also buy and install those floor panels that has that waffle board plastic insulators attached, seen them at Lowes. This will be easier on your feet and add more overall comfort.

🎱

Halfjack87
12-23-2015, 08:24 AM
I would eliminate the windows as they will cause glare, not energy effiecient and are a easy break in and you don't really need the light from them. Would only have them if wanting to use for ventilation but then humidity may be a factor.

i would also have the tv by the table or sitting area for use as a man cave.

I would consider putting the door close to the house and move the pool table to the opposite end where the door is. This will give you more usable space for the sitting or man cave area.

Don't know what the climate is but I would also buy and install those floor panels that has that waffle board plastic insulators attached, seen them at Lowes. This will be easier on your feet and add more overall comfort.

��

Welcome to Texas, Book! Yes the windows are for ventilation as there will be probably a good 4+ months out of the year that I'll be open windows and ceiling fan - climate is very nice here! Glare? That's why I'm getting blinds -green ones that will match the shades on the pool lights.

As far as the door close to the house - it's as close as possible now, and the pool table will be at the opposite end. If you're looking at the original post, then I don't understand your comment. At any rate, the doors and windows are there now, so suggestions to move them will likely be ignored. :wink:

Flooring will be 8mm laminate planking on 6mm padding. We have this in the house and it is indeed very cushy.

BTW: First deviation from the plan - I had to replace my 4x3 windows with 3x3 windows - not thrilled, but not too much bothered either, I've been inside and noticed the airflow right away.

Maxx
12-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Nice project, looks like you'll have a very nice spot to shoot pool!

Halfjack87
12-27-2015, 11:26 AM
The saga continues... a nicely timed heavy rainfall occurs...

Hold off Framer guys, got to get it to not leak first! :rolleyes:

ATM, I have full confidence that my builder will get this corrected in short order.

Texas Carom Club
12-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Awesome!!!

jeromyh13
12-27-2015, 11:38 AM
that is a very awesome room, at a very reasonable price. Even though i currently have a basement, i would LOVE to have a separate out building, Loud music, my buddies and no chance of waking the old lady or the little girl we have on the way!

63Kcode
12-27-2015, 11:46 AM
The saga continues... a nicely timed heavy rainfall occurs...

Hold off Framer guys, got to get it to not leak first! :rolleyes:

ATM, I have full confidence that my builder will get this corrected in short order.

Yep, last night was a good wind and rain test!

Building looks to be coming nicely.

Larry

Shughes13
12-27-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm excited to to see the end result of your project...I thought of building a separate room as well but decided to just build a shed and move everything out of the garage and turn that into my room lol. I hope everything come together for you. Don't forget to update us. Framing next?

hon400ex
12-27-2015, 01:16 PM
One more thing to think about. Either keep your ceiling fans back away from the table or make sure they are fairly high. I used to play at a place that had fans near the end of the tables and I can't tell you how many cues accidentally got nicked. People taking out of the case, sometimes breaking, etc. Congtrats on the new room though.
Andy

Halfjack87
12-27-2015, 03:11 PM
One more thing to think about. Either keep your ceiling fans back away from the table or make sure they are fairly high. I used to play at a place that had fans near the end of the tables and I can't tell you how many cues accidentally got nicked. People taking out of the case, sometimes breaking, etc. Congtrats on the new room though.
Andy

Ceiling height has always been a ceiling fan concern - the ceiling fans will be 3ft and 4ft from the ends of the table, and the ceiling will be right about 9 ft - blades at about 8 ft +/-, so it could still be a stick hazard...but hopefully not...

Nice Avatar pic! (I think I know her..) :D

Framers should get going this week - we'll see...

dabarbr
12-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Ceiling height has always been a ceiling fan concern - the ceiling fans will be 3ft and 4ft from the ends of the table, and the ceiling will be right about 9 ft - blades at about 8 ft +/-, so it could still be a stick hazard...but hopefully not...

Nice Avatar pic! (I think I know her..) :D

Framers should get going this week - we'll see...

Also ceiling fans too close and above the table will have an effect on the way the balls will roll sometimes.

Halfjack87
12-29-2015, 05:15 AM
"Let no man imagine that he has no influence" :smile:

I'm removing the ceiling fan at the foot of the table - decided these concerns had more than a little merit, and that one ceiling fan would be fine. The ceiling fan at the foot of the table will be replaced with lighting of some sort.

Also, the ceiling fan at the head of the table has been moved back from the table a little more. It will be 5 ft from the table - which is still a stick-nick concern, but better than it was. Hoping the 9 ft ceiling will be a saving grace here...

Halfjack87
12-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Framing complete! Now I take a weekend trip, when I get back I do the electric. :)

Halfjack87
01-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Electric Done! :D

Halfjack87
01-20-2016, 02:56 PM
UGLY, Nasty insulation - So Glad I'm not doing it! :D

Corwyn_8
01-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Don't let people bully you into a gold crown. Of my two main playing tables, 1 gold crown, 1 Gandy furniture grade, I vastly prefer the latter. The gold crown has pockets falling off (it was a WELL used table). The Gandy was bought new, and the playing surface is perfect. Any well built furniture grade table should last you a lifetime. It doesn't have to survive the bangers a gold crown is designed for. And it will look good (heresy, I know, but to me, gold crown look like 50's kitchens).

Get it well leveled (buy a used machinists level, if you do it yourself, then sell it for the same price), and tightly assembled. Good cloth, good cushions, and you are good for years of fun.

Thank you kindly.

Halfjack87
01-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Appreciate that, but I already bought a gold crown - feel really good about the guy who did the restoration and can't wait to get the table - it's pretty much the last part of the pool room to be installed...

Veteran68
01-20-2016, 09:12 PM
Don't let people bully you into a gold crown. Of my two main playing tables, 1 gold crown, 1 Gandy furniture grade, I vastly prefer the latter. The gold crown has pockets falling off (it was a WELL used table). The Gandy was bought new, and the playing surface is perfect. Any well built furniture grade table should last you a lifetime. It doesn't have to survive the bangers a gold crown is designed for. And it will look good (heresy, I know, but to me, gold crown look like 50's kitchens).

Get it well leveled (buy a used machinists level, if you do it yourself, then sell it for the same price), and tightly assembled. Good cloth, good cushions, and you are good for years of fun.

Thank you kindly.

Have to agree here. As much as I love both GCs and Diamonds, I bought a Brunswick Avalon furniture table brand new over 10 years ago, and it still looks beautiful and plays like brand new. Lifetime warranty if anything breaks, and hasn't needed re-leveling in all that time.

Halfjack87
01-25-2016, 03:56 AM
Getting muddy, while I get hit by yet another week lost to contractor delay...
(oh, well)

Halfjack87
01-25-2016, 04:21 AM
This is a Sanity Check

Schedule of Events:

1. Me - Dreams in Visio, nightmares in Excel
2. Order material for building
3. Contractor #1 - Slab
4. Me - Ditches
5. Contractor #2 - Seven weeks of waiting - replaced
6. Contractor #3 - Metal building w door, 2 windows, hole for AC unit
7. Contractor #4 - Framing
8. Me - Electric
9. Contractor #4 - Insulation, Sheetrock
10. Me - Paint
11. Me - Flooring
12. Contractor #5 - Hang the 2 murals
13. Hang stuff on walls, bring everything in
14. Mechanic - Delivers my table!
15. Me - Pool Party!

Step 9 has GOT to be finished SOON, I just KNOW it! :grinning-moose:

Colonel
01-25-2016, 05:31 AM
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Good luck to you

Halfjack87
01-28-2016, 04:13 AM
Painted ceiling Tuesday.

Wednesday - ceiling needs another coat, but couldn't do it because police action blocked off our house from the world from 11:30 to 7:30 pm (and needed more ceiling paint) :frown:

Thursday (today) - will repaint ceiling
Friday - Son will paint walls - AZB gets another picture when the room is finished getting painted!

Saturday - wife does the flooring
Sunday - mural guy tentatively scheduled to hang murals
Wednesday - pool table delivery :D

JAMSGOLF
01-28-2016, 04:35 AM
Painted ceiling Tuesday.

Wednesday - ceiling needs another coat, but couldn't do it because police action blocked off our house from the world from 11:30 to 7:30 pm (and needed more ceiling paint) :frown:

Thursday (today) - will repaint ceiling
Friday - Son will paint walls - AZB gets another picture when the room is finished getting painted!

Saturday - wife does the flooring
Sunday - mural guy tentatively scheduled to hang murals
Wednesday - pool table delivery :D

Ummm...in fairness your post that has the scheduled events earlier should be edited to 10 "me and son"...and 11 to "awesome wife" who not only lets you have the new room, but helps out it together! ;) :thumbup:

Teasing...it's gonna be awesome when it's done!!! :)

Texas Carom Club
01-28-2016, 05:11 AM
Do you have a light picked out already ?
:)

Shughes13
01-28-2016, 05:40 AM
Awesome man looks great....can't wait to see the GC

Halfjack87
01-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Today - painted walls, except for trim, hung the light fixture and the ceiling fan! :grin:
Can't tell from this pic, but walls are a light tan (Behr Brazilian Tan).

jjollie
01-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Looks fantastic....

Dead Money
01-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Today - painted walls, except for trim, hung the light fixture and the ceiling fan! :grin:
Can't tell from this pic, but walls are a light tan (Behr Brazilian Tan).

Nice to see you making steady progress on the project :)

Dan White
01-30-2016, 05:21 AM
Crown mouldings?

Halfjack87
01-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Crown mouldings?

Well... the blue masking tape looks so nice...

Actually, it's funny you should ask..

We're doing the flooring today - it's laminate planking "Bristol County Cherry" - more brown and less red than a lot of cherry flooring. We have matching baseboard only and are undecided at this point as to what we're going to do for the ceiling trim.

My first choice is to find a crown molding which is a matching, or generally matching wood grain - figure $200 and I haven't found one yet. If we go with a crown molding we need to paint, then it will be a dark brown. For now we're sticking with blue masking tape. :lmao:

Halfjack87
01-30-2016, 03:45 PM
I'll admit I cracked a little smile a while ago when you said you'd hoped to be done by Christmas :)

Looks great, I'm jealous!

Well, my first builder wasted 7 weeks and did nothing, had to replace him. My Pool table is the last thing on the list and it will be here Wed, Feb 3. Subtract 7 weeks from Feb 3 and it is back to Dec 16.
So my estimate was good, except for losing 7 weeks to a bad contractor.

Halfjack87
01-30-2016, 05:53 PM
Hey, just ribbin' you a little :) When I worked construction I was taught that you order about 1/3 material more than you expect to use. About the same can be said for the building time in my experience. Whenever it's done, it's done and it will be all yours.

No problem, just a sore spot - I really am focused on getting it done, not worrying about the past. Everything looks good now! :)

Halfjack87
01-31-2016, 02:50 PM
Got flooring done yesterday (still need baseboards) and got murals hung today!
Wall surrounding murals will probably be dark green.
:smile:

Texas Carom Club
01-31-2016, 02:55 PM
That's awesome

jeromyh13
01-31-2016, 06:20 PM
this build is really cool. keep up the updates!

Halfjack87
02-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Got my table today! Gold Crown II - repainted (Behr Molasses S220-7), new cushions (Black Diamond K55?), new (black rubber) pockets, Simonis 860 (Tournament Green), full set of accessories (incl. Aramith balls), $2,800 including delivery & setup by Jeffrey Sorrell, Ultimate Billiard Service, Sachse (Dallas), TX.

Woot! :happydance:

Lewie
02-03-2016, 01:20 PM
So very nice! Love the paint. Congrats on a great pool room!

Halfjack87
02-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Where are the mural scenes from? Looks Northwesty.

I believe the one on the left is indeed from OR or WA. The mural at the foot of the table is from Burma.

Celophanewrap
02-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Where are the mural scenes from? Looks Northwesty.

Looks like the forest in Twilight. Congrats, that room is awesome.
I may have missed these in earlier posts, if I did please excuse me -
What did you put down as the subfloor? Do you need to heat it and how?
Did you need a building permit and an inspection?

Halfjack87
02-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Looks like the forest in Twilight. Congrats, that room is awesome.
I may have missed these in earlier posts, if I did please excuse me -
What did you put down as the subfloor? Do you need to heat it and how?
Did you need a building permit and an inspection?

The floor is 8mm laminate planks on moister-barrier/padding direct on the concrete slab. Heating the floor is not a factor down here, and I'm outside city limits, so I assume nobody will want to inspect it except friends and neighbors...;)

Colonel
02-03-2016, 01:55 PM
This is fabulous, great room

Celophanewrap
02-03-2016, 01:58 PM
The floor is 8mm laminate planks on moister-barrier/padding direct on the concrete slab. Heating the floor is not a factor down here, and I'm outside city limits, so I assume nobody will want to inspect it except friends and neighbors...;)

Geeze thats great. I built my kid a playhouse a few years ago from a kit I got at Costco and someone reported it, the inspector showed up and made me go get a back dated permit, then a year or so later I started to build a shed, the inspector shows up again and wants to see the permit (jackass....).
That room is the shit, what I wouldn't give for one...

Halfjack87
02-03-2016, 02:15 PM
... Trace a rack on that felt!

Really? I was thinking about marking the head string, but I guess I've never played on a table with the rack traced - seen pictures...

Right now it just has the foot spot.

EDIT: Started a separate thread to discuss. (Table Markings?)

Texas Carom Club
02-03-2016, 02:22 PM
That's pretty sweet

Veteran68
02-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Really? I was thinking about marking the head string, but I guess I've never played on a table with the rack traced - seen pictures...

Right now it just has the foot spot.

EDIT: Started a separate thread to discuss. (Table Markings?)

If you play much 14.1, it's very handy to have the rack outline on the table. Helps a lot with identifying key and break balls. Not to mention just for helping guarantee good rack alignment every time, for any game, especially when you have beginners racking.

Dan White
02-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Fantastic! My vote is for some quarter-round logs with bark on for the crown moulding!

Tony_in_MD
02-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Very nice, here is to you spending many happy hours there.

:thumbup:

Dead Money
02-03-2016, 11:54 PM
Got my table today! Gold Crown II - repainted (Behr Molasses S220-7), new cushions (Black Diamond K55?), new (black rubber) pockets, Simonis 860 (Tournament Green), full set of accessories (incl. Aramith balls), $2,800 including delivery & setup by Jeffrey Sorrell, Ultimate Billiard Service, Sachse (Dallas), TX.

Woot! :happydance:

Very nice!!!!!:smile:

gumpys
02-04-2016, 12:47 AM
Now that is a bad azz set up. Very nice my friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Bank it
02-04-2016, 01:19 AM
Wow, that's really something, well done.

jaetee
02-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Very impressive setup! Thank you for sharing your progress along the way.

Congrats & Enjoy! :)

9Ball_JJ
02-04-2016, 11:08 AM
It looks very nice, congrats! Now you just need to have an AZB Dallas get together. :D

Halfjack87
02-04-2016, 07:22 PM
It looks very nice, congrats! Now you just need to have an AZB Dallas get together. :D

That's a thought! Not yet though...

Appreciate all the kind words from everyone! :)

I will continue to post as I finish out the room, remaining items include the baseboards, the pool lights, the scoring beads, hanging the TV, etc.

Dave-Kat
02-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Been watching since it was a dirt lot. Very nice job HJ. Love the set up. I am so frikin' jealous. Been threatening family with taking all my furniture out of my living room, grabbing a 7' and hanging the TV on the wall for sometime.

My idea is not going over well.

Good rolls,

-Kat

Halfjack87
02-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Am loving having pool at home, as is everyone else in the family!

Construction continues - finally added (and stocked) the mini-fridge, TV is wall mounted and playing DVDs and CDs (no internet yet), and tonight I got the scoring beads hung! :)

Popeye31
02-16-2016, 02:15 AM
I saw a guy one time run the pluming in the ground that came up 1/2 " under the surface of the slab put a piece of ply wood down than covered it with sand . had the cement company pore the slab than after the building was built and inspected . weeks later he busted the concrete where the pluming was and set up a bath room with sink. saved him hundreds on fees.

Halfjack87
03-01-2016, 06:14 AM
So, got a load of top soil (12 cu yards), filled in the big ditch, repairing the yard from the dump truck and concrete truck, preparing the pave stone walkway.

strokenpoke
03-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Love the new room.. I know your in billiards heaven

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

sixwillwin
03-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Nice. I like the progress reports on this project!

lbostons
03-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Wow that is great space! Thanks for sharing. I'm getting ready to put a table in my basement but I love this idea of having a room in the back yard. Basically a awesome get away.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

Halfjack87
03-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Finished the walkway - and let me just say - this was a LOT more time and work than I ever would have guessed! :thud:

63Kcode
03-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Finished the walkway - and let me just say - this was a LOT more time and work than I ever would have guessed! :thud:

Time well spent. The up coming forecast calls for 4" of rain next week.

Great job on the room!

Larry

jordan23042000
03-05-2016, 08:02 PM
This is so badass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THam
03-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Can't wait to build my own man cave. Some of the rooms I've seen on here are so nice.

strokenpoke
03-06-2016, 01:21 AM
Will help keep those floors a lot cleaner... good work

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Halfjack87
03-06-2016, 06:22 AM
Time well spent. The up coming forecast calls for 4" of rain next week.

Great job on the room!

Larry

Thanks, yeah, one eye on the weather forecasts from the day I ordered the dirt - finished just in time!

Halfjack87
03-06-2016, 01:38 PM
OK, so what's new in this picture is the pool lights.

No big deal, except for that sound you hear in the background - that's the proverbial 'fat lady singing' - Done and Done! The pool lights were the last piece!

We'll call this "COMPLETELY FINISHED" Hanging up the tools and picking up the cues!

Thanks to everyone on the thread for the advice and encouragement!

Catahula
03-06-2016, 08:07 PM
I don't know if I am more impressed by your finished room (awesome) or by your ability to stay focused and continually moving your project forward to completion.
They both deserve massive kudos. Nicely done sir on all counts.:bow-down:
Tommy

Nine ... corner
03-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Job well done, Jack. You now have your little piece of heaven. Enjoy! :thumbup:

Dead Money
03-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Very nice! Congrats on finishing off the room. It looks great!

Kokeaa
05-04-2016, 12:43 AM
Great work of building your own room, hope you get many good hours around the table!