PDA

View Full Version : Problem with uniloc joint

JMS
11-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Every so often my uniloc predator shaft gets loose. Does this happen to anybody else? What's the cause? I've owned many cues and the uniloc is the only one that will come loose during play. And it just so happens to me at the worst times. It's really frustrating.

Michael Webb
11-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Every so often my uniloc predator shaft gets loose. Does this happen to anybody else? What's the cause? I've owned many cues and the uniloc is the only one that will come loose during play. And it just so happens to me at the worst times. It's really frustrating.

The butt and the shaft should be faced on the joint.

JMS
11-03-2015, 04:56 PM
The butt and the shaft should be faced on the joint.

Why would it have to be faced? The shaft came with the cue (P3).

pocket
11-03-2015, 05:05 PM
I suspect this is a known issue with the uniloc. I had a friend warn me about it when I purchased a Lucasi cue.

It has happened to me, so I've made a habit of making sure its tight when I put it together. Seems like the extra attention has resolved the issue for me.

measureman
11-03-2015, 05:24 PM
I suspect this is a known issue with the uniloc. I had a friend warn me about it when I purchased a Lucasi cue.

It has happened to me, so I've made a habit of making sure its tight when I put it together. Seems like the extra attention has resolved the issue for me.

yup same here.but now and then i just check it. no big deal.

pocket
11-03-2015, 05:41 PM
yup same here.but now and then i just check it. no big deal.

Does it still have to be extra tight in Kansas? :eek: :)

measureman
11-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Does it still have to be extra tight in Kansas? :eek: :)

At lower elevations then a mile high here in Denver the metal acts differently
this should clear up for you

QUANTUM THEORY, also quantum mechanics, in physics, a theory based on using the concept of the quantum unit to describe the dynamic properties of subatomic particles and the interactions of matter and radiation. The foundation was laid by the German physicist Max Planck, who postulated in 1900 that energy can be emitted or absorbed by matter only in small, discrete units called quanta. Also fundamental to the development of quantum mechanics was the uncertainty principle, formulated by the German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927, which states that the position and momentum of a subatomic particle cannot be specified simultaneously

Got it?.

Pleinairrider
11-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Never had this issued with my Pechauer :D I have seen Mike Chaine constantly re-tighting his cue through a match though.

measureman
11-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Never had this issued with my Pechauer :D I have seen Mike Chaine constantly re-tighting his cue through a match though.

Pechauer does not have a uniloc joint.
they have there own version of a speed joint.

Busboy
11-03-2015, 06:33 PM
I've never had this problem

Michael Webb
11-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Why would it have to be faced? The shaft came with the cue (P3).

I should have explained better. Sorry.
On uni loc's I install. When I face the joints, I give it a slight angle, creates a vacuum seal. Your issue is a minority not majority. It's a very good system.

mortuarymike-nv
11-03-2015, 07:48 PM
In order to be cool like a real road player, just like in the movies every self respecting pool shark has to have a uni loc joint, so they can run out the back door in a hurry. :thumbup:

asamimasa
11-03-2015, 09:37 PM
I had this problem with a SP4RJ and BK2. At some point, it became a routine when I get up to shoot to slightly tighten the joint. It was a bit more concerning with the BK2 when I would break and find that the joint felt loose after.

chefjeff
11-04-2015, 07:02 AM
Draw shots can loosen a uni-lock.

When I tighten the joint, I then whack the shaft near the joint and while the cue is vibrating, I give it just a little extra turn towards tight.

That seems to keep it tight.

Jeff Livingston

Kim Bye
11-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Uni-Lok has so tight tolerances, use a small brush once in a while to clean the joint for metal debris and use a drop of dry teflon lube.

ctyhntr
11-04-2015, 08:34 AM
I don't know the cause, but I've noticed this with uni-loc as well. I think it was one reason why I didn't like using my Predator sneaky pete, as I would constantly check to see if it's tight.

Maybe some teflon tape?

ChopStick
11-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Uni-locs all come loose. Everyone I ever owned did this. I don't want any more of them. The center screw is too thick and the threads are too coarse. It doesn't have any stretch so it can't stay tight.

Michael Webb
11-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Uni-Lok has so tight tolerances, use a small brush once in a while to clean the joint for metal debris and use a drop of dry teflon lube.

No Sir.
Once is a while use alcohol on a q tip. Swirl it around in the brass insert. Then a dry q tip. Let it dry which is quick. This will help keep the butt and shaft from freezing together.

Ron Swanson
11-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Uni-locs all come loose. Everyone I ever owned did this. I don't want any more of them. The center screw is too thick and the threads are too coarse. It doesn't have any stretch so it can't stay tight.

All? That's a lot! Only one of mine has developed this problem - annoying, but nothing more.

chefjeff
11-04-2015, 11:33 AM
No Sir.
Once is a while use alcohol on a q tip. Swirl it around in the brass insert. Then a dry q tip. Let it dry which is quick. This will help keep the butt and shaft from freezing together.

Yes.

And sometimes, I'll add just a touch of some very light oil, 3-in-one, for example, then wipe it off. A little lube does wonders...for many things.:cool:

Jeff Livingston

ChopStick
11-04-2015, 03:06 PM
All? That's a lot! Only one of mine has developed this problem - annoying, but nothing more.

Well, they are all manufactured under the same patent, to the same specifications and many if not all the parts come from the same source making them all susceptible to the problem. The ones you have had are British making them clearly superior and even at that, you have seen the problem. Imagine what the rest of us, whom nature has so cruelly snubbed by denying us the honor of British birth, have to go through with this piece of crap joint. This being the case, I am quite sure I dislike every last one of them.

Ron Swanson
11-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Well, they are all manufactured under the same patent, to the same specifications and many if not all the parts come from the same source making them all susceptible to the problem. The ones you have had are British making them clearly superior and even at that, you have seen the problem. Imagine what the rest of us, whom nature has so cruelly snubbed by denying us the honor of British birth, have to go through with this piece of crap joint. This being the case, I am quite sure I dislike every last one of them.

You dislike every last american? Harsh.