PDA

View Full Version : Dale Perry Cues

white1
11-04-2015, 07:37 PM
OK...enlighten me folks. Whats up with the above selling on ebay for $100. What am I missing. His cues used to bring high prices. Thx in advance

Dave-Kat
11-04-2015, 07:54 PM
I don't know what you're missing except they are no longer being 'hand made' and are being 'mass' produced for $30 in his factory by his craftsmen for the last few years.

Back under your rock.

-Kat

white1
11-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Maybe I have been under a rock, but I have some manners. I asked a simple question. No reason for jerkwad replies.

I don't know what you're missing except they are no longer being 'hand made' and are being 'mass' produced for $30 in his factory by his craftsmen for the last few years.

Back under your rock.

-Kat

phil dade
11-04-2015, 08:37 PM
White1,
Use the search engine here with Dale Perry. You will find a number of threads about his cues. People are bitter because his once, modestly costly cues have greatly decreased in value. Somewhere over the last 5-10 years he developed an E Bay business. The cues are very cheap and likely made in the Orient rather than Jacksonville. He pretty much ruined his name.
phil

fish2
11-04-2015, 08:43 PM
from the ebay listing...

"This is a brand new 1st quality Dale Perry Cue. I made and signed this cue in my Florida cue shop. I am a ACA Certified Cuemaker.
All DP Cues are Handmade by Dale Perry In the USA."

White1,
Use the search engine here with Dale Perry. You will find a number of threads about his cues. People are bitter because his once, modestly costly cues have greatly decreased in value. Somewhere over the last 5-10 years he developed an E Bay business. The cues are very cheap and likely made in the Orient rather than Jacksonville. He pretty much ruined his name.
phil

GoldCrown
11-04-2015, 08:43 PM
DP high end cues are a thing of the past. The eBay cues are worth $100. Totally different cue than his original stuff. I have a DP quality cue and a few eBay cues. I feel his eBay cues went downhill. Mine did. Loose rings, shafts nick easily.

caff3in3
11-05-2015, 04:30 AM
He does sell some good looking cues though.

mortuarymike-nv
11-05-2015, 06:18 AM
I was told DP was a hell of a cue maker, that being said all the ones I have been getting in for repair reminded me of the cues out of china.
Plastic inlays falling out and the glue failing..................................
Ferrules, joint collar butt sleeve, all coming loose.

I really didn't care for the shaft wood.
Over all IMO DP cues are made really cheap pretty much like a cheap Chinese made cue.

I would rather buy a 40.00 dollar McDermott Lucky cue...................

I also wouldn't stock DP cues because of the glue issues I have seen .

phil dade
11-05-2015, 08:01 AM
from the ebay listing...

"This is a brand new 1st quality Dale Perry Cue. I made and signed this cue in my Florida cue shop. I am a ACA Certified Cuemaker.
All DP Cues are Handmade by Dale Perry In the USA."

Ok, let me state this. To say made in America, or any country of origin, the product is imported in an unfinished or not ready for end use state. As example, from the shoe business, the toplift is the piece that protects the heel on a woman's shoes where it would strike the ground. Without it, a woman could not walk in the shoe. If you make the entire shoe in China, ship it to Italy and apply the topflight, walla it is made in Italy. Sick, yes, customes law, yes.

Applicable to cues, I suspect a cue could arrive without a ferrule and tip, or without a just a tip for that matter, and apply here. I would bet the new, ebay Dale Perry cues are not 100% made here in Jacksonville.

gardener28
11-05-2015, 08:04 AM
I guess people are just jealous.
I had quite a few friends bought DP cues.
Not only they are pretty, they also provide solid feels.
The cues are well made and well worth the $100.

I am not saying it is better than any thousand dollar cues, but it could be as good as any other cues less than $500, especially if you through in an ob/predator shaft with it.

cuesblues
11-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Maybe I have been under a rock, but I have some manners. I asked a simple question. No reason for jerkwad replies.

There are always going to be "jerkwad" replies when you talk about Dale Perry.
At the this point the fact that guys are stuck with $1300 Dp cues now worth a couple of hundred, is just part of the Dp legacy.
There have been numerous service and workmanship issues on Dp cues.
Once they are fixed and tuned up a little, they play OK.
Personally Dp cues are just too butt ugly to play with, even for a hundred bucks

phil dade
11-05-2015, 08:12 AM
I was told DP was a hell of a cue maker, that being said all the ones I have been getting in for repair reminded me of the cues out of china.
Plastic inlays falling out and the glue failing..................................
Ferrules, joint collar butt sleeve, all coming loose.

I really didn't care for the shaft wood.
Over all IMO DP cues are made really cheap pretty much like a cheap Chinese made cue.

I would rather buy a 40.00 dollar McDermott Lucky cue...................

I also wouldn't stock DP cues because of the glue issues I have seen .

I concur with what you said. However, in the 90's, Dale was up and coming. He was making cues selling for $1000 up to $2500. He was getting positive press and reviews. I moved to Jacksonville in 1996 and in spring of 96 went to his shop and wanted his very best cue. I have previously posted it, use search. Ebony, ivory, snakewood, 8 points and lots of inlays. I paid $2500. I also had him made a two shaft break jump cues. Both used unilock joints.

The cues were solid. I donated the expensive cue to help a pool player with medical expenses and it was sold on his behalf. The Break jump is for sale now ( for cheap) because I found an X Breaker. My DP break jump was fine, but I used a McDermot Break cue out of habit until I found the X Breaker.

Selling $200 cues, it would be hard to do all the inlays and stuff in his small shop with just a helper, and make a living. They can not be totally made in USA>

MalibuMike
12-08-2015, 06:28 PM
OK...enlighten me folks. Whats up with the above selling on ebay for $100. What am I missing. His cues used to bring high prices. Thx in advance

I just asked the same thing and all I got was opinions. Doesn't anybody know where these cues come from? Florida? China?

david(tx)
12-08-2015, 07:22 PM
I just asked the same thing and all I got was opinions. Doesn't anybody know where these cues come from? Florida? China?

http://www.dpcues.com/page/481899732

I can't answer your question , here is a web page , the dates on the pictures are relatively recent , don't know when they were taken . There are usually about 12-15 cues on his Ebay store . Doesn't seem unreasonable that he could do that many cues in a couple days with parts made , he may work ahead .

Blue Hog ridr
12-08-2015, 07:29 PM
We bought several of Dale's cues quite a few years ago. This was long after he FKed his dealers up by mass producing them for EBay. So, weren't the expensive ones.

Yet, sold a few and kept a couple. Have had great luck with them, altho, it would seem as of late, people were having problems with them.

Like, almost falling apart in your hands. Like someone mentioned, do a Search for his cues on AZ. Should be a few days of reading pleasure for you.

But, if you have a 100 to spend, try an Auction. The worst that could happen is that you
start wishing that you would have invested the 100 in Beer instead.

mortuarymike-nv
12-09-2015, 01:12 AM
http://www.dpcues.com/page/481899732

I can't answer your question , here is a web page , the dates on the pictures are relatively recent , don't know when they were taken . There are usually about 12-15 cues on his Ebay store . Doesn't seem unreasonable that he could do that many cues in a couple days with parts made , he may work ahead .

I looked thru the link you provided .

Straight up 95% the cues in the link didn't look anything like the DP's I have gotten in for repairs.
Some of the cues in the link actually nice.

The ones I got in for repairs looked like wal-;mart cues........................................
and they all had 5/16 pins.

mortuarymike-nv
12-09-2015, 01:20 AM
I concur with what you said. However, in the 90's, Dale was up and coming. He was making cues selling for $1000 up to $2500. He was getting positive press and reviews. I moved to Jacksonville in 1996 and in spring of 96 went to his shop and wanted his very best cue. I have previously posted it, use search. Ebony, ivory, snakewood, 8 points and lots of inlays. I paid $2500. I also had him made a two shaft break jump cues. Both used unilock joints.

The cues were solid. I donated the expensive cue to help a pool player with medical expenses and it was sold on his behalf. The Break jump is for sale now ( for cheap) because I found an X Breaker. My DP break jump was fine, but I used a McDermot Break cue out of habit until I found the X Breaker.

Selling $200 cues, it would be hard to do all the inlays and stuff in his small shop with just a helper, and make a living. They can not be totally made in USA>

I wished I could of seen one, I know of a few respectable cuemakers that praise DP for or being a good cue maker..

RonRosas
12-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Made by chinamen in Russia.

RiverCity
12-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Made by chinamen in Russia.

"Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYOzUHnPJvU

:thumbup:

david(tx)
12-09-2015, 08:26 PM
I looked thru the link you provided .

Straight up 95% the cues in the link didn't look anything like the DP's I have gotten in for repairs.
Some of the cues in the link actually nice.

The ones I got in for repairs looked like wal-;mart cues........................................
and they all had 5/16 pins.

They look like the ones on his EBAY store pretty much. Think they are 3/8 x 11 .

gregnice37
12-09-2015, 08:35 PM
I believe all his stuff is radial pin for the past 3 or 4 years

justinb386
12-09-2015, 09:32 PM
I believe all his stuff is radial pin for the past 3 or 4 years

The 1st ebay DP cue I purchased had a Radial Pin, and that was over 10 years ago. Paid around $350 for it I think, and I thought it was junk. Worst hitting cue I ever used. Silly me, I gave DP a few more chances over the years (because they were so cheap), and I have never been satisfied with a cue I received from him. One of them was a sneaky pete, and the butt cracked all by itself the 1st night I used it. DP blamed me on it though. Anyways, yeah, he had been doing the Radial Pin joint (on his ebay cues) for a lot longer then 3 to 4 years.

thuglife520
12-09-2015, 10:34 PM
I bought one DP cue off ebay in 2008 and still my playing cue and love it.

I bought another one in 2012 just for fun with a stage IV shaft and it is crap, may have been bad luck bought would have kept buying if it was like the 1st.