PDA

View Full Version : Need a new butt -- here're my goals. Recommendations?

TrumanHW
11-08-2015, 04:09 PM
I want to get the longest Mezz WX900 shafts (I think 30") and then maybe a 32" butt. I have an Espiritu butt now, and would already be considering one but his website is from the 90s.

I want something that is simple -- not ornate, no expensive materials, just well crafted.

I want a cue manufacture who can finish the job in 2 months, and guarantees it rolls straight for years.

I need advice on the pin (I have 5/16th I believe right now).

I've heard 3/8ths is "better" ...? It feels like my cue can get a little loose while playing and I'd prefer something that I don't have to audit.

I want a cue that has a rubber foot on it, but that you can screw an extension in to (like a Fury, but I don't like the look of their cues).

It doesn't need to be ornate, but rather, simple. And I want the attention to detail to be perfect.

Recommendations?

michael4
11-08-2015, 06:33 PM
I want a cue manufacture who can finish the job in 2 months, and guarantees it rolls straight for years.

eliminated a lot of choices right there.......

Black-Balled
11-08-2015, 07:08 PM
I think the guarantee Is a dream.

Its wood and once in the user's hands, the manufacturer has zero control over what happens to it.

LuckyStroke
11-08-2015, 07:12 PM
Talk to Jim Baxter. That time frame could be difficult for any cuemaker, but he usually has blanks ready to convert.

Ben

mortuarymike-nv
11-08-2015, 07:52 PM
I want to get the longest Mezz WX900 shafts (I think 30") and then maybe a 32" butt. I have an Espiritu butt now, and would already be considering one but his website is from the 90s.

I want something that is simple -- not ornate, no expensive materials, just well crafted.

I've heard 3/8ths is "better" ...? It feels like my cue can get a little loose while playing and I'd prefer something that I don't have to audit.

I want a cue that has a rubber foot on it, but that you can screw an extension in to (like a Fury, but I don't like the look of their cues).

It doesn't need to be ornate, but rather, simple. And I want the attention to detail to be perfect.

Recommendations?

What price range ?

TrumanHW
11-08-2015, 07:52 PM
I think the guarantee Is a dream.

Its wood and once in the user's hands, the manufacturer has zero control over what happens to it.

My Espiritu has rolled straight for 14 years. Anyway, yeah, I agree ... "guarantee" is excessive.

But what about the kind of pin, is 5/16ths good enough? If so, I could keep my current butt and just get shafts made that fit it, and retrofit the butt to accept a longer handle...?

Kim Bye
11-08-2015, 08:13 PM
If you are happy with your cue, why not just have a 3" mid cue extension made?

LuckyStroke
11-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Double post

LuckyStroke
11-08-2015, 09:33 PM
If you are happy with your cue, why not just have a 3" mid cue extension made?

I have a 2.5" one that Newsherrifintwn made to make my Star City cue 60.5". Has not changed the playability or hit at all.

Ben

Edit: well, it improved playability mailing it longer, which is better for me

JoeyInCali
11-08-2015, 10:34 PM
guarantees it rolls straight for years.

God luck with that.
But, if you want one in hurry, might want to call Schmelke.

M.G.
11-09-2015, 02:23 AM
Regarding the pin you can read a lot on the Internet - please do so.
I enjoy the 3/8x14 (Cuetec only) the most I must admit; second comes the "new generation" 3/8x10. This into a phenolic insert in the shaft, no steel bracing as with Cuetec as it increases the weight near the joint and the balance shifts.

Schmelke does customs and seems to do a very good job there.
Fury does have a nice plain series - the NA ones: http://fury-cues.com/na-series-pool-cues/ (love the NA-6 Olive).
Universal cues does have the UN114: http://www.universal-billiard.com/
Maybe you can get a used one for cheap.

I find it funny that there people dismiss a guarantee/warranty on the cue staying straight... that's not an impossible thing at all.
That's why I only buy mass market - I get a warranty there, state legal binding for 2 years (too) and usually with unlimited regarding straightness - granted I treat the cue in a "normal way".

Cheers, good luck!

Runner
11-09-2015, 11:26 AM

Recommendations?

Hey, Truman...
I know you're in SoCal... check out Eddie Cohen.. he's in SoCal, he does great work.
(562) 716-2368

bdorman
11-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Check out Schmelke.

If you like "plain", here's the one Schmelke made for me. All maple.

Funny thing is, I wanted a cue no one would notice. But everyone notices it :confused: It's actually pretty elegant looking.

It plays well with either the Schmelke shaft or my OB2+ 30" shaft. I'm not sure but I suspect they'll make you one any length you want. However, I've not see a screw-on extension option.

But it might be beyond your budget...$90 with shaft.

TrumanHW
11-10-2015, 07:49 PM
What do you guys think of Prewitt to just retrofit the butt of my cue with the ability to add an extension. I think I'm actually happy with the butt otherwise... and will just get shafts that fit my current pin.

white1
11-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Talk to Kim.....my guess....three weeks wait

trustyrusty
11-11-2015, 04:08 PM
you want a 62" cue and the ability to add an extension?! wow. playing on 10 footers??

TrumanHW
11-11-2015, 07:24 PM
you want a 62" cue and the ability to add an extension?! wow. playing on 10 footers??

I absolutely SUCK with the bridge. I still have to use it to get over a ball... and I think it's more like 61" -- but yeah, Earl is more than just kind of on to something -- I almost think I want a 70" cue!! :)

And anyone who knows me knows I'm as crazy as he is.

TrumanHW
11-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Talk to Kim.....my guess....three weeks wait

How do I get in touch with Kim? I don't even know who that is.

Thanks for your help. :)

victorl
11-11-2015, 07:36 PM
You could also consider a Balance Rite (or similar) extension to add a couple inches without having to make any changes to your cues.

ceebee
11-12-2015, 08:17 AM
I think you should talk to Guido Orlandi. His new type cue is the bees knees...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=367548&highlight=guido

bdorman
11-12-2015, 08:41 AM
How do I get in touch with Kim? I don't even know who that is.

Thanks for your help. :)

The builder at Schmelke cues: schmelkecue@yahoo.com
(schmelkecue@yahoo.com)

JoeyInCali
11-12-2015, 12:58 PM
I absolutely SUCK with the bridge. I still have to use it to get over a ball... and I think it's more like 61" -- but yeah, Earl is more than just kind of on to something -- I almost think I want a 70" cue!! :)

And anyone who knows me knows I'm as crazy as he is.

You might as well go upstairs to Al and order a 32" conversion .
Cheap and fast. If it warps in two years, big deal.
You will know by then if you really like the way it is .
And I'm sure you'd order another one within months of liking it .

TrumanHW
11-13-2015, 04:39 AM
How do I reach Prewitt?

Thanks.