PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Soft Breaking

u12armresl
11-08-2015, 07:12 PM
I have to say that of all the years of watching and/or being at this INCREDIBLE tournament, I was really disappointed by the soft breaking in a ton of matches.

Skyler and Dennis in particular is the match on now. Soft break 1 in the corner 2 most of the time in the side (other time in the corner) 6 7 8 in one pocket and concede the 9 (when it was needed to be made it was in the right corner pocket.

In the 11 racks so far for Sky v Dennis the 9 didn't move 1mm.
Each person running out their rack.

I've grown up watching power breaks and run outs, pattern racking and soft breaks have no place in BB tournaments.

Just my .02

King T
11-08-2015, 08:32 PM
I have to say that of all the years of watching and/or being at this INCREDIBLE tournament, I was really disappointed by the soft breaking in a ton of matches.

Skyler and Dennis in particular is the match on now. Soft break 1 in the corner 2 most of the time in the side (other time in the corner) 6 7 8 in one pocket and concede the 9 (when it was needed to be made it was in the right corner pocket.

I've grown up watching power breaks and run outs, pattern racking and soft breaks have no place in BB tournaments.

Just my .02

Just hope that someone with a big break wins it and that will be that!

9Ballr
11-08-2015, 08:42 PM
I love soft breaking in 9-ball.
Mostly because it I no longer have a reason to use a break cue, I hate those things anyway.
But also because I definitely stay at the table more often than after a power break and get infinitely more control on the cue ball.
Soft break all the way.
Now, in 8 ball......whole different story.
Break cue comes out and it's back to wack the living crap out of the balls.

u12armresl
11-08-2015, 09:18 PM
If pool needs viewers, and viewers = money being put into the sport, slow breaks and pattern racking = people turning off streams and not watching pool.

Every single time it's the same thing, and that will cost pool what few paying viewers it has left.

kagewest
11-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Bar box 9 ball is a joke, a double joke if you can soft break. It's like playing straight pool with 9 balls on a tiny table w/ big pockets.

Donny Lutz
11-09-2015, 06:13 AM

Just my .02

Shall I assume that you're also against the bunt or the off-speed pitch in baseball, the kick serve in tennis, or the float serve in volleyball?

Like the soft break in pool, they're not very macho. Do you dislike one-pocket and 14-1? They don't use a power break...

I say if it's not against the rules, there's nothing criminal (or sissy) about the soft break...especially if it wins more games!

terryhanna
11-09-2015, 06:41 AM
Justin Bergman won this event he played Dennis Orcollo in the finals they both were soft breaking wing ball was wired went in every single rack and playing shape on 1 ball.

Dennis made 1 mistake early in the match that was all it took Justin played a perfect match he broke and ran every one of his breaks never missed a ball.

Magic rack soft break bar box 9 ball is a joke way to easy for these guys.

Neil
11-09-2015, 07:50 AM
I enjoyed watching their performance. It's not very often that one gets to watch a perfect set. Takes a lot of skill to do so.

For those that can't appreciate the beauty of perfection, and want to belittle their skill by calling it a joke, you can always go watch russian pyramid pool instead.

Ken_4fun
11-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Guys -

Can someone post the top finishers?

Top 8 or maybe Top 16?

Thanks for your efforts,

Ken

terryhanna
11-09-2015, 08:59 AM
I enjoyed watching their performance. It's not very often that one gets to watch a perfect set. Takes a lot of skill to do so.

For those that can't appreciate the beauty of perfection, and want to belittle their skill by calling it a joke, you can always go watch russian pyramid pool instead.
I never said anything bad about Justin and Dennis's skill level they are some of the top players in the world.

The rules are what is a joke magic rack and soft breaking with pattern racking is a joke at that level,
same layouts every game it's like watching the same game over and over way to easy for top pro's pool was never meant to be played like that imo

terryhanna
11-09-2015, 09:00 AM
.................... Double post sorry

watchez
11-09-2015, 09:10 AM
I posted this in the other thread and have posted this before - the rack needs to be moved DOWN the table two balls, not up the table two balls, to make any difference.

cardiac kid
11-09-2015, 09:40 AM
I never said anything bad about Justin and Dennis's skill level they are some of the top players in the world.

The rules are what is a joke magic rack and soft breaking with pattern racking is a joke at that level,
same layouts every game it's like watching the same game over and over way to easy for top pro's pool was never meant to be played like that imo

Terry,

Got to agree with you. Making a ball on every break? Tough shot or a trick shot? One ball off the right hand top rail every break. Pretty sad when one player can make one mistake (second rack in set) and lose. Justin played perfect. So did Dennis.

If some viewers on this thread want some regular bar box, watch the match between Shane Winters and Billy Thorpe. Billy wins three consecutive racks to win the set by kicking balls in from SW's safeties. Now is that luck or skill?

Lyn

Skippy27
11-09-2015, 11:27 AM
I say if it's not against the rules, there's nothing criminal (or sissy) about the soft break...especially if it wins more games!

Don't be silly, it is still being a sissy.

Though I would agree it is not against the rules so it is allowed however the rules should be modified to say as hard as you can while maintaining control.

Teacherman
11-09-2015, 01:14 PM
I laugh at those offended by the soft break when years ago those with the hammer breaks won most everything, and poor breakers could not compete.

The have nots found something that works. Now the haves cry. :D

BTW....if it isn't the break....it's the pockets....the cloth....the rails....the humidity....the A/C.....the sun was in his eyes....the grass was too tall.

Pick your whine.

BasementDweller
11-09-2015, 01:45 PM
I laugh at those offended by the soft break when years ago those with the hammer breaks won most everything, and poor breakers could not compete.

The have nots found something that works. Now the haves cry. :D

BTW....if it isn't the break....it's the pockets....the cloth....the rails....the humidity....the A/C.....the sun was in his eyes....the grass was too tall.

Pick your whine.

Nobody is whining or making excuses about the reason one player lost to another. Do you really not see that?

I bet if you asked the players their opinions on playing under these conditions they really wouldn't care for it either.

For years we have seen promoters struggle with the rules for big table 9 ball tournaments because the players have gotten too good to play under such rules. Players were making the big tables look like bar tables. Now here we are in 2015, and some are running tournaments on bar tables using the easiest possible setup.

I love watching pool but I lost interest in watching this after just a few minutes. It's way too easy for these guys.

billiardthought
11-09-2015, 02:09 PM
It's like watching an NBA player practicing free throws. Very exciting stuff.