PDA

View Full Version : Bergman Plays Perfect Final

Teacherman
11-08-2015, 08:56 PM
A perfect performance in the finals against Dennis Orcollo.

Broke and ran every time he broke. Dennis made one mistake and Justin ran out that rack also.

Cuebuddy
11-08-2015, 08:59 PM

Broke and ran every time he broke. Dennis made one mistake and Justin ran out that rack also.

Yes and it looked like the $$$ made it worth the trouble. Congrats to Justin, Dennis and thanks goes out to Mike for a great stream.

BasementDweller
11-08-2015, 09:00 PM
He deserved to win. There's no doubt about that but...

I couldn't stand the format. Valley bar table 9 ball with a Magic rack. Wow. You at least have to put the 9 on the spot or something.

Brutal.

Still the best two players found their way to the finals. It just didn't make for a great viewing experience.

kagewest
11-08-2015, 10:27 PM

A top 3 American player won a valley box magic rack nine ball tournament with no break rules. Wow! Impressive. The line on him Would have been 1/5!

LuckyStroke
11-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Not the toughest conditions, sure. But when your opponent is Dennis you had better not make any mistakes. I didn't see it, but I'd like to. I hope someone can put this on YouTube.

Then again as a baseball fan a no hitter is my favorite thing to watch. I'm the same way with pool.

Ben

sammylane12
11-09-2015, 07:16 AM
It`s hard to get excited watching these guys play on toy pool tables.

sjm
11-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Orcullo's strong pedigree on a bar table was proven in his US Open 8-ball in which he beat Mike Dechaine in the final, so let's not make light of Justin's victory.

Justin's in great form right now. After beating Shaw in their challenge match, coming tied 9th at the US Open 9-ball and now beating Dennis, he has peaked at the right time for Team USA with the Mosconi just a month away.

Well played, Justin Bergman!

pt109
11-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Bergman's here to stay.....his thoughtful approach produces great pool.
I see a HOF in his future.

But I agree with those who don't like elite fields playing on Valleys....
....it's like having a PGA tournament on a par three course....
...the best player will still win....but it's not the golf I want to see.

Fatty said a long time ago....they hurt the game when they went to 9-footers....
....he would probably think it's being crippled now.

Zphix
11-09-2015, 08:11 AM
I disagree about format.

I love this game, and I'm always hungry to be around it. Because of that I love to watch it regardless of format, equipment or race. I don't care if they're on Valleys or Gold Crowns with cues or broomsticks; I just enjoy this game enough to love watching it.

I think too many people only care when every personal requirement is met in order to enjoy a match. They must play on 9.25ft table with exactly 3.83inch pockets, the balls must be Cyclop, and the CB must be a measle ball...

watchez
11-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Justin was the best players with the rules of the tourney. You can't damn him for that.

I do like the rule of the U.S. Open where I believe it was 3 balls have to pass the side pocket, two balls if you pocket a ball. It doesn't matter much if the 9 is on the spot or not. I've said this before - the rack needs to be moved DOWN on the table two balls, not up two balls, to make a difference.

BasementDweller
11-09-2015, 09:10 AM
I disagree about format.

I love this game, and I'm always hungry to be around it. Because of that I love to watch it regardless of format, equipment or race. I don't care if they're on Valleys or Gold Crowns with cues or broomsticks; I just enjoy this game enough to love watching it.

]I think too many people only care when every personal requirement is met in order to enjoy a match. They must play on 9.25ft table with exactly 3.83inch pockets, the balls must be Cyclop, and the CB must be a measle ball...

Many of us don't mind playing or even watching guys play on bar tables but I can only take so much. This is where I draw the line in the sand -- Valley tables with the Magic rack, no break box, and 1 ball on the spot is just WAY too easy of a game for these guys.

For me the allure of the bar table was the fact that guys were NOT playing under ideal conditions, which meant that they didn't always get a perfect rack. The tables would often have worn cloth and play slow. The rails would even be inconsistent at times. To have any hope of running racks, guys would have to smash the break.

When you put pros on bar tables and give them ideal conditions it's boring.

I guess it doesn't really matter anymore because the cat is out of the bag. Everybody now understands how the balls are supposed to react on the break if they are all frozen so if you give them a couple pieces of scrap 2x4's to rack with they will work the balls until they get them perfect.

I guess when it comes to pros -- I'm ready for 9 ball to die on the bar table. 10 ball is a much better game to watch them play.

Bar table....bar table....bar table...bar table.....

I'll NEVER call it a 7 footer.

Bar table...

Johnnyt
11-09-2015, 09:26 AM
The writing is on the wall that the bar box is going to be a big % of the size tables available in the near future. Since we probably can't change this, why don't BB table builders make them with deeper shelves, tighter snooker type pockets, and slower cloth?

I know I'm a BB player for the last 20 years, but there was a time I only liked to play on 9' or 10' tables. Of course I always played on the size table I could make the most $ at. at the time. :grin: Johnnyt

Nostroke
11-09-2015, 09:46 AM
'Bar Box Bergy' chalks up another one! *ducking

spartan
11-09-2015, 10:34 AM
Since MC uses bar box events for ranking points, so it follows that Bergman's victory should be taken seriously. And he must have beaten Dennis half dozen times in past 1-2 months and that is not to be laughed at also. Plus his strong performance in recent tourneys knocking off some big boys

All this begs the question
Should Berg replace Shane as pointman/main man/ 1st singles player for Mosconi Cup?
The 1st singles player usually plays most matches (at least 3 singles or 4 singles if he plays Captain's pick)
It is the elephant in the room. Shane only won 1 singles match out of 7 singles matches in MC in last 3 years, did not win any in last 2 years.
Bergman does look like better sprinter in short races like race to 5 (Even though he lost all 2 singles he played last year , his game has vastly improved since then)
Putting Bergman in pole position can be tactical and throw off the Euros and lessen pressure on Shane to perform

LIAKOS27
11-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Orcullo's strong pedigree on a bar table was proven in his US Open 8-ball in which he beat Mike Dechaine in the final, so let's not make light of Justin's victory.

Justin's in great form right now. After beating Shaw in their challenge match, coming tied 9th at the US Open 9-ball and now beating Dennis, he has peaked at the right time for Team USA with the Mosconi just a month away.

Well played, Justin Bergman!

I totally agree with this!

I made a comment months back about SVB being in far front of dechaine as far as top 5 in the US goes. But dechaine had a couple players right behind him, Bergman being one of them!

With bergmans performance as of late, I'm gonna put him at same level as dechaine and within a yr he possibly may be running even with SVB! Either way, congrats to Bergman and the rest of our mosconi team! May they all play well and drill the euro's!

hang-the-9
11-09-2015, 11:10 AM
He deserved to win. There's no doubt about that but...

I couldn't stand the format. Valley bar table 9 ball with a Magic rack. Wow. You at least have to put the 9 on the spot or something.

Brutal.

Still the best two players found their way to the finals. It just didn't make for a great viewing experience.

They must be playing for a shot at going to the APA nationals with that equipment. Certainly not playing any type of serious Pro/A/B level tournament :wink:.

sjm
11-10-2015, 10:38 AM
I totally agree with this!

I made a comment months back about SVB being in far front of dechaine as far as top 5 in the US goes. But dechaine had a couple players right behind him, Bergman being one of them!

With bergmans performance as of late, I'm gonna put him at same level as dechaine and within a yr he possibly may be running even with SVB! Either way, congrats to Bergman and the rest of our mosconi team! May they all play well and drill the euro's!

I think it's a bit premature to proclaim Bergman to be Dechaine's equal, although the gap has grown smaller and Justin is shining bright.

Dechaine, over the last three months, has accomplished the following:

2nd, US Open 8-ball
2nd, Turning Stone Classic
9th, WPA World 9-ball Championships
Beat SVB 21-20 in 10-ball challenge match
2nd, Texas Tornado Open
1st, Gotham Billiards Open

All of these were very tough fields/matchups. I don't see Bergman being nearly as consistent as Mike in recent months in the toughest events.

No doubt, however, that a match between these two fine players would make for some great viewing.

Shane's in a slump for sure, but he's not repeating what I thought to be a mistake a year ago, and that is missing the All Japan Championships. He's there as we speak and, added to the just completed Kremlin Cup in Russia, he's doing his best to regain his best form.

For everything he's accomplished, Shane deserves to be the de facto leader of Team USA.