PDA

View Full Version : playing with a walabushka

cesarmorales
11-09-2015, 04:38 AM
Not a misspelling, I am talking about the cues on the wall.

I went into my favorite pool room on Friday night with no intention of playing pool because it is full of nits on the weekends. The better players are usually someplace else playing in a tournament. I left my daughter off at a football game a mile from the place so I had a couple of hours to kill.

Well, what do you know, one of the young guns had one of the nine foot tables and was looking for some action. I was going to go to my car to get my Judd but it was raining hard. OH, well, lets just use one of the the walabushka's.

Two years ago I was giving this kid lessons and in the last six months we have been playing even for money. After an hour we were even and he quit.

They say it is the Indian and not the arrow and it is true with about 90% of the shots, but when you need to get some real action on the cue to get it to move around the table, the walabushka will let you down.

Just use them for break cues if you don't have a real one!

mattb
11-09-2015, 05:44 AM
I prefer a walaboti, but its just a preference thing.

I used to know an old hustler that would go into a bar with a pocket of slip on tips. He would find a relatively straight cue, slip a decent tip on it and clean house. Pretty smart if you think about it.

michael4
11-09-2015, 08:04 AM
when you need to get some real action on the cue to get it to move around the table, the walabushka will let you down.

when I play with a wallabushka, there are many shots I wont even try. I keep my game is simple as possible

cardiac kid
11-09-2015, 09:26 AM

I went into my favorite pool room on Friday night with no intention of playing pool because it is full of nits on the weekends. The better players are usually someplace else playing in a tournament. I left my daughter off at a football game a mile from the place so I had a couple of hours to kill.

Well, what do you know, one of the young guns had one of the nine foot tables and was looking for some action. I was going to go to my car to get my Judd but it was raining hard. OH, well, lets just use one of the the walabushka's.

Two years ago I was giving this kid lessons and in the last six months we have been playing even for money. After an hour we were even and he quit.

They say it is the Indian and not the arrow and it is true with about 90% of the shots, but when you need to get some real action on the cue to get it to move around the table, the walabushka will let you down.

I have a collection of roughly thirty Walabushka's. Different tip on each. Kind of tedious to play a rack as I'm continuously changing cues for various shots. They play great though :rolleyes: :eek: :thud: :speechless: :outtahere: .

Lyn :slap:

measureman
11-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Those cues were made by Georges little known brother Wally.
He was very good and made 100s of thousands of them.
Hence the name Walabuskas.

ctyhntr
11-09-2015, 02:40 PM
At Steinway Classic 4 last week almost all the Taiwanese players prefer using Wallwest. Not a single Walabushkas among them. Noticed many were constantly perusing the wallracks between matches, looking for the elusive black lacquered ebony simulated nose with no wrap. Some used a sharpie and took care of that themselves. Earl was complaining the other pros took his favorite, and ended up playing with Finnegan's broomstick.

cardiac kid
11-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Those cues were made by Georges little known brother Wally.
He was very good and made 100s of thousands of them.
Hence the name Walabuskas.

Are you saying all the current house cues are either tributes or in the style of Wally's work? Wish I was getting the royalties :eek: !

Lyn

ctyhntr
11-09-2015, 03:22 PM
If you didn't get them from Walmart, then they're likely counterfeits. There was a thread revealing the truth, but it may have been deleted.

Are you saying all the current house cues are either tributes or in the style of Wally's work? Wish I was getting the royalties :eek: !

Lyn

macguy
11-09-2015, 03:43 PM

I agree, you can play with almost anything most of the time. But when it counts and you have shots where you have to do something then you find it is not so good without your own cue.

macguy
11-09-2015, 03:47 PM
I prefer a walaboti, but its just a preference thing.

I used to know an old hustler that would go into a bar with a pocket of slip on tips. He would find a relatively straight cue, slip a decent tip on it and clean house. Pretty smart if you think about it.
I hustled bars for quite a few years and I also did that. I had slip on tips that I had put good tips on. I would just slip one on and it was a big advantage.