PDA

View Full Version : Playing with a darker colored ferrule?

SamLambert
11-09-2015, 06:59 AM
I have seen very few cues that did not have a white ferrule. I always thought it was a bit weird since the cueball is white, why would you want the end of your cue to be the same color (apart from the tip) as the cueball?

So yesterday I tried something that many of you will tell me is completely stupid: I colored my ferrule with a Sharpie

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t34.0-12/12226565_10153259436867358_2132969748_n.jpg?oh=19d 67ee0b8be6c3028064536259508c9&oe=5642B172

I think the result is quite nice. The contrast with the cueball is now evident, this seems to have given a slight help to aiming precisely. When my tip will be due for a change, I will most likely ask to have a black ferrule installed.

Have any of you played with a darker colored ferrule? Did you like it? Are there any pros playing with ferrules that are not white? Someone told me it was more frequent in snookers.

Thanks!

terryhanna
11-09-2015, 07:04 AM
I have seen very few cues that did not have a white ferrule. I always thought it was a bit weird since the cueball is white, why would you want the end of your cue to be the same color (apart from the tip) as the cueball?

So yesterday I tried something that many of you will tell me is completely stupid: I colored my ferrule with a Sharpie

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t34.0-12/12226565_10153259436867358_2132969748_n.jpg?oh=19d 67ee0b8be6c3028064536259508c9&oe=5642B172

I think the result is quite nice. The contrast with the cueball is now evident, this seems to have given a slight help to aiming precisely. When my tip will be due for a change, I will most likely ask to have a black ferrule installed.

Have any of you played with a darker colored ferrule? Did you like it? Are there any pros playing with ferrules that are not white? Someone told me it was more frequent in snookers.

Thanks!
Mike Dechaine colors his ferrule with a Sharpie too.

Get_A_Grip
11-09-2015, 07:13 AM
A week or so ago I did the same thing as you. First I colored my ferrule brown and then black. I liked it much better than the white ferrule, so I actually bought some black ferrules. I plan to have my two playing shafts switched to a black ferrule.

I think that you explained it good. A black ferrule against the white cue ball stands out more, and at least to me, makes aiming easier.

RichSchultz
11-09-2015, 07:14 AM
You thought it was weird to hit a white ball with a white ferrule? You sure you didn't just read that on this forum? Someone quoted Wimpy Lassiter as saying that 40 years ago.

pt109
11-09-2015, 07:18 AM
I've been playing with a tan ferrule since the late 70s...
...I used to play snooker with a black ferrule.

Luther Lassiter played with a red ferrule.

I think a color that contrasts with the cue ball makes sense....so does OB.

pdcue
11-09-2015, 07:18 AM

Thanks!

Why do you see the ferrule?

As to why they are white...

Once upon a time it was a really big deal to have an ivory ferrule.
So, when Pool boomed after "The Hustler' white ferrules were the new standard.

I have it on good authority, that prior to 1960-ish, when there were a gazillion small
pool rooms in America, most all house cues had BLACK ferrules.

Dale

seven_7days
11-09-2015, 07:55 AM
I always thought it was a bit weird since the cueball is white, why would you want the end of your cue to be the same color (apart from the tip) as the cueball?

hmmm...after playing for about only two months, iv'e always thought that the cueball being white was the weird part.
so, i always sharpied the cueball black.

iv'e been banned from many pool halls.

RiverCity
11-09-2015, 08:02 AM
hmmm...after playing for about only two months, iv'e always thought that the cueball being white was the weird part.
so, i always sharpied the cueball black.

iv'e been banned from many pool halls.

That's because you're supposed to use Easter egg dye. :grin-square:

http://www.concept-w.com/works/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Easter-billiard-balls_w128.jpg

Inaction
11-09-2015, 08:09 AM
A young player from SD was the first I had seen with a nonwhite ferrule. I found out that his instructor recommended it so he could see the end of the cue after striking the cue ball. ( I might be mistaken on the exact reason)

He is a very good player with a state title, International VNEA title and fourth at the US Open 9 ball. That should make it easy to guess this player.

Michael Webb
11-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Mr. Lambert:
It's actually not as uncommon as you think. In the 90's I did repairs for the Canadian pro tour. Brown phenolic ferrules were very popular as well as black. I still offer them.

snucar
11-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Sam, just concentrate on improving your game and leave this pointless stuff outside.

hang-the-9
11-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Unless you have a clear tip (not just the new "clear" kamuis), it really should not make much of a difference.

I do have to say that I played with Mike Dechaines shaft for a while with the colored in ferrule and combined with the Kamui Clear tip it did make for a interesting reference to look at. I think you would need that color divider between the tip and ferrule though or it would look a bit odd.

greyghost
11-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Why do you see the ferrule?

As to why they are white...

Once upon a time it was a really big deal to have an ivory ferrule.
So, when Pool boomed after "The Hustler' white ferrules were the new standard.

I have it on good authority, that prior to 1960-ish, when there were a gazillion small
pool rooms in America, most all house cues had BLACK ferrules.

Dale

i second that...i've seen loads of old house cues with black ferrules, matter fact like you said the majority from certain eras were all black.

PoolBoy1
11-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Wow after 40+ years playing I like it black now. 1" ferrule really stands out. No more blue chalk marks.

mortuarymike-nv
11-10-2015, 06:46 PM
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/mortuarymike/Clear%20tip_zpsgn0ymxxw.jpg (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/mortuarymike/media/Clear%20tip_zpsgn0ymxxw.jpg.html)

Colonel
11-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Bob Frey has been making these for me for like forever. Black Linen Micarta, hard as a rock, crisp hit, great sound. Call him up, he'll hook you up.

SamLambert
11-21-2015, 04:26 PM
I ended up having a wooden ferrule installed, I think it looks very nice! The hit feels great too.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/21/45f13ef66843d4156568c2ab08b0eb23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black-Balled
11-21-2015, 04:32 PM
I can honestly say, In 104 years of playing pool, I have never focused on the ferrule while shooting.

RichSchultz
11-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Are there any pros currently playing who use a dark, wood ferrule? Again, I'm thinking indian, not the arrow.

SamLambert
11-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Are there any pros currently playing who use a dark, wood ferrule? Again, I'm thinking indian, not the arrow.

The guy who installed my ferrule told me he installed a blue one for Mika Immonen.
Mike Dechaine plays with a black ferrule (colored with a sharpie)

That's all I know

The difference a darker ferrule makes is negligible, but it still does something.

RichSchultz
11-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Looking at pics from King's Cup, Mika was using a white ferrule. Maybe that's why he played pretty poorly in this one.

SamLambert
11-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Looking at pics from King's Cup, Mika was using a white ferrule. Maybe that's why he played pretty poorly in this one.

Has to be because of that!

Here's a picture of it :

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t34.0-12/12285930_10153279207322358_315792338_n.jpg?oh=f016 8513e536a5b8a3ebf7a267196afd&oe=56536E1C

RichSchultz
11-21-2015, 04:51 PM
Damn...looks great. Shane should get one.

RichSchultz
11-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Ever read Jennifer Baretta's Pool Dawg article about pool terms? Here's an excerpt:

Googan: A pool googan is someone who has every pool device/video/book known to the billiard industry. He knows every player and what their strengths and weaknesses are, and is dying to be a relevant part of the pool scene. It’s very rare that googans become good players.

SamLambert
11-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Ever read Jennifer Baretta's Pool Dawg article about pool terms? Here's an excerpt:

Googan: A pool googan is someone who has every pool device/video/book known to the billiard industry. He knows every player and what their strengths and weaknesses are, and is dying to be a relevant part of the pool scene. It’s very rare that googans become good players.

I'm surprised that she knows everyone on earth that ever fitted that description and was able to conclude that they generally don't become good!

On an unrelated note, did you know that 87.4% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Wait and see ;)

slide13
11-21-2015, 05:05 PM

Googan: A pool googan is someone who has every pool device/video/book known to the billiard industry. He knows every player and what their strengths and weaknesses are, and is dying to be a relevant part of the pool scene. Itís very rare that googans become good players.

A googan then sounds like the fans from NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. Pool could use more googans.

Not everybody can be a great player, why would we disparage those who are super fans of the sport but don't have excessive skill....maybe that's why pool is in the state it is as a sport.

7forlife
11-21-2015, 05:12 PM
I'm surprised that she knows everyone on earth that ever fitted that description and was able to conclude that they generally don't become good!

On an unrelated note, did you know that 87.4% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Wait and see ;)

No survey or study or anything has ever been done with every single person on earth, guess we gonna have to rule those out now cause they're not accurate even remotely. 100 person, 1000 people study, HA what a joke.

SamLambert
11-21-2015, 05:17 PM
No survey or study or anything has ever been done with every single person on earth, guess we gonna have to rule those out now cause they're not accurate even remotely. 100 person, 1000 people study, HA what a joke.

You got the point. No need to be pedantic.

This forum really is quite toxic, I am not too sure why I bother anymore.

RichSchultz
11-21-2015, 05:49 PM
There's a reason why movie stars avoid the tabloids, and why SVB isn't hanging out here. It's not that the environs are toxic. It's that they're too busy to care what 3rd parties have to say.

Drilltrash
11-21-2015, 07:30 PM

Googan: A pool googan is someone who has every pool device/video/book known to the billiard industry. He knows every player and what their strengths and weaknesses are, and is dying to be a relevant part of the pool scene. Itís very rare that googans become good players.

Those are the people that bring money into any sport. They typically have money to spend on hobbies. Also enjoying the sport and getting involved, weather or not they ever become good players, is good for the sport. That's why pool halls are closing and you can only find products online. Those people don't want to take crap from someone because they can afford a nice cue or whatever. Anyone who wants to see this sport survive should support anyone who wants to play and be involved. I bass fish a lot, I have a nice boat, tons of tackle, rods and reels. I will never be that good but I enjoy it. I have disposible income and spend it at local tackle shops. The industry is thriving because they accept everyone and nobody is worried about joe blow having the most expensive tackle but he can't catch a fish. Really who gives a shit? It seems that a lot of people on here are at the ready to bash any newbie or "googan" for no reason.

I know that was off topic but I've been lurking for a while and all the bashing of people has been on my mind.

Kim Bye
11-21-2015, 07:40 PM
Juma can be had in black rods. I have used it on house cues, they look nicer for longer that way.

RichSchultz
11-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Those are the people that bring money into any sport. They typically have money to spend on hobbies. Also enjoying the sport and getting involved, weather or not they ever become good players, is good for the sport. That's why pool halls are closing and you can only find products online. Those people don't want to take crap from someone because they can afford a nice cue or whatever. Anyone who wants to see this sport survive should support anyone who wants to play and be involved. I bass fish a lot, I have a nice boat, tons of tackle, rods and reels. I will never be that good but I enjoy it. I have disposible income and spend it at local tackle shops. The industry is thriving because they accept everyone and nobody is worried about joe blow having the most expensive tackle but he can't catch a fish. Really who gives a shit? It seems that a lot of people on here are at the ready to bash any newbie or "googan" for no reason.

I know that was off topic but I've been lurking for a while and all the bashing of people has been on my mind.
Fair enough. But I think the spirit of Jennifer's definition is to identify that there are folks who are in constant search for equipment to save their game in lieu of practice. I think she mentioned it only from a gambling perspective, to identify those marks that are ready to be skinned. Does that make sense?

Drilltrash
11-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Fair enough. But I think the spirit of Jennifer's definition is to identify that there are folks who are in constant search for equipment to save their game in lieu of practice. I think she mentioned it only from a gambling perspective, to identify those marks that are ready to be skinned. Does that make sense?

That does make sense and I get it. I just went off on a tangent.

John Brumback
11-21-2015, 08:27 PM
To a good player...it won't matter what color it is...John B.

Black-Balled
11-21-2015, 08:29 PM
You got the point. No need to be pedantic.

This forum really is quite toxic, I am not too sure why I bother anymore.

Now you are on the way to becoming a pool Player.

3RAILKICK
11-21-2015, 09:59 PM

Bass fishing and pool....two worthwhile obsessions.;):thumbup:

....can't get out of local bass boat dealer tackle store for less than $50 bucks for 1/2 a popcorn bag of hand poured plastics, Owner hooks, spinner baits and
weights....:(

...almost swamped a buddy's tri hull at Clear Lake in the afternoon wind...:eek:

Sorry OP...his tangent caused another tangent:)/ Fishing is a brotherhood like pool.:sorry:

SamLambert
11-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Bass fishing and pool....two worthwhile obsessions.;):thumbup:

....can't get out of local bass boat dealer tackle store for less than $50 bucks for 1/2 a popcorn bag of hand poured plastics, Owner hooks, spinner baits and

weights....:(

...almost swamped a buddy's tri hull at Clear Lake in the afternoon wind...:eek:

Sorry OP...his tangent caused another tangent:)/ Fishing is a brotherhood like pool.:sorry:

My boss is always telling me about his fishing stuff. I never fished in my life, but because of him I know a ton about fly fishing.

Definitely not for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mortuarymike-nv
11-22-2015, 12:11 AM
Ted Danson used black shoe polish :thumbup:

Kaiser Bob
11-22-2015, 10:28 AM
I requested a black juma ferrule and kamui clear tip from Paul Drexler when he made my custom. I liked it as far as asthetics, noticed no difference otherwise compared to a white ferrule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk