PDA

View Full Version : New life for old eyes

larry732
11-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Being 88 years old and trying to maintain some level of decency in my pool game is quite a chore. I am a BCA instructor and find teaching is learning and practice helps considerably. Lately I am having trouble maintaing focus and missing shots because of that. Yesterday I decided to include eye exercises in my routine and let me say what a difference that made. The balls were much clearer and I could swear the pockets were larger, also my decisions in play were improved. I now realize that the entire body is involved, muscle memory, eye maintenance for focus and concentration and don't leave out a little luck. We all have to realize pool is not a science, but an art form, we still need proper mechanics to achieve our goals. How about an 88 year old planning ahead and setting goals. I hope I am giving a few old timers some inspiration. In Southington, CT. we have on Tuesday afternoons a senior league with about 50 to 60 players, that the level of play would amaze you. Thanks for reading my thread and I hope that as we get older we can still kick some butt. Larry Gendler

bbb
11-22-2015, 07:52 AM
Being 88 years old and trying to maintain some level of decency in my pool game is quite a chore. I am a BCA instructor and find teaching is learning and practice helps considerably. Lately I am having trouble maintaing focus and missing shots because of that. Yesterday I decided to include eye exercises in my routine and let me say what a difference that made. The balls were much clearer and I could swear the pockets were larger, also my decisions in play were improved. I now realize that the entire body is involved, muscle memory, eye maintenance for focus and concentration and don't leave out a little luck. We all have to realize pool is not a science, but an art form, we still need proper mechanics to achieve our goals. How about an 88 year old planning ahead and setting goals. I hope I am giving a few old timers some inspiration. In Southington, CT. we have on Tuesday afternoons a senior league with about 50 to 60 players, that the level of play would amaze you. Thanks for reading my thread and I hope that as we get older we can still kick some butt. Larry Gendler
could you explain the eye exercises you are doing

larry732
11-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Just Google eye exercises and an entire list will come up. Mosconi would do eye exercises while the other player was shooting, by watching the tip of his cue close to his eyes and then about 18 inches away, over and over again. As we get older the eye muscles get weaker and I found I couldn't maintain focus and the object ball would lose sharpness and I would start thinking negative thoughts. It's a battle fighting nature, but worth the try.

bbb
11-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Just Google eye exercises and an entire list will come up. Mosconi would do eye exercises while the other player was shooting, by watching the tip of his cue close to his eyes and then about 18 inches away, over and over again. As we get older the eye muscles get weaker and I found I couldn't maintain focus and the object ball would lose sharpness and I would start thinking negative thoughts. It's a battle fighting nature, but worth the try.
thanks for the reply

maplecap
11-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Thanks Larry. You truly can be an inspiration for those of us broken down elders. Just being alive and still shooting pool at 88, Wow! Thanks for posting something positive. HappyJack

wahcheck
11-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Thanks Larry. You truly can be an inspiration for those of us broken down elders. Just being alive and still shooting pool at 88, Wow! Thanks for posting something positive. HappyJack

I second that.......it's quite inspirational to know someone is still pocketing balls at 88 years old!

Kickin' Chicken
11-22-2015, 10:24 AM
I second that.......it's quite inspirational to know someone is still pocketing balls at 88 years old!

he's not just pocketing them at 88 yo. He spears them in when he needs to, as well.

I spar with him many Saturday afternoons and a 'tomato-can' he is not. :thumbup:

good thread, Larry.

best,
brian kc

Ak Guy
11-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks for an uplifting thread and I will try some eye exercises. At 65 my vision and the rest of my body has changed. Your advice will probably help my pool game.

Thanks again !