PDA

View Full Version : Niels Feijen in Manila

arps
07-10-2016, 08:36 PM
World Champion Niels Feijen is currently in Manila. He's had a couple of matches. You may watch them here:

Niels Feijen vs Jericho Banares (race to 21)
part 1: https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue/videos/vb.671838693/10154436882013694
part 2: https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue/videos/vb.671838693/10154437146353694
part 3: https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue/videos/vb.671838693/10154431812048694

Niels Feijen vs Roberto Gomez (race to 21)
https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue/videos/vb.671838693/10154432133913694

Niels Feijen vs Johann Chua (race to 21)
https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue/videos/vb.671838693/10154437279858694

Niels Feijen vs Johann Chua 2nd match 9-ball (race to 21)
part 1: https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue/videos/vb.671838693/10154444743708694/
part 2: https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue/videos/vb.671838693/10154444874068694/

Niels Feijen vs Johann Chua 3rd match 9-ball (race to 18)
https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue/videos/10154445188423694/

arps
07-11-2016, 12:17 AM
tonight, it's gonna be Niels vs Carlo Biado.

gxman
07-11-2016, 05:28 AM
Watching Niels vs Biado.

He's one of the few european players that I like.

I didn't know that he gambles. Wouldnt mind seeing a race to 50 with one of the top phillipine players in a nice clear stream.

molinatx4206
07-11-2016, 06:03 AM
Link didn't work for me for Biado Niels. What's the score?

gxman
07-11-2016, 06:15 AM
17-15 biado up. It was 17-12 earlier. Might have to have fb to watch.

Looks like they're playing in an air conditioned room.

gxman
07-11-2016, 06:19 AM
17-16 biado up. Niels breaking.

FB comments said that niels been playing
for $300-350 a set.

erhino41
07-11-2016, 06:40 AM
Thanks a ton! I got alot if watching to do!

GideonF
07-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Niels lost the first set against Biado, but Niels just won the second set 21-19.

They announced the next match is at 4 p.m. (their time) - I didn't recognize who Niels is playing - and then a rematch against Chua at 9 p.m. (their time). Don't know if the Chua match will be 10 ball again or winner breaks 9-ball (as he was playing against Biado).

This is good stuff. And one hell of a way for Niels to tune up for the world championships.

highkarate
07-11-2016, 11:20 AM
i wonder if he'll play ignacio that'd be a fun one

JoeyA
07-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Before Niels became an International star, he traveled the United States and hustled pool for money.

He traveled by himself this one trip. He made his way to New Orleans and visited Pickle's Sports Bar where I was playing at the time. He didn't try to hustle or lie and got straight to the point. He wanted to play me some nine ball, racing to 9 for $200. I knew he had to be a very good player since he had already asked everyone else in the place to play and they turned him down. He wasn't known to anyone in the joint as this was MANY years ago, just before he became famous as a title winner.

So I tell him, "You must be a very good player..." He says nothing being very reserved with his words. He still had an accent at that time but spoke English very well but I couldn't put my finger on it. I said, I will play you but you have to spot me the 6 ball. He nods in agreement and we post the money. I am playing really well AND getting some REALLY great rolls and am up 6-3 games racing to 9 games. He walks up to me real close and almost mechanically says, "You play like a machine." He then finishes the set and beats me 9-7.

JoeyA

Watching Niels vs Biado.

I didn't know that he gambles. Wouldnt mind seeing a race to 50 with one of the top phillipine players in a nice clear stream.

GideonF
07-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Before Niels became an International star, he traveled the United States and hustled pool for money.

He traveled by himself this one trip. He made his way to New Orleans and visited Pickle's Sports Bar where I was playing at the time. He didn't try to hustle or lie and got straight to the point. He wanted to play me some nine ball, racing to 9 for $200. I knew he had to be a very good player since he had already asked everyone else in the place to play and they turned him down. He wasn't known to anyone in the joint as this was MANY years ago, just before he became famous as a title winner.

So I tell him, "You must be a very good player..." He says nothing being very reserved with his words. He still had an accent at that time but spoke English very well but I couldn't put my finger on it. I said, I will play you but you have to spot me the 6 ball. He nods in agreement and we post the money. I am playing really well AND getting some REALLY great rolls and am up 6-3 games racing to 9 games. He walks up to me real close and almost mechanically says, "You play like a machine." He then finishes the set and beats me 9-7.

JoeyA

Nice story, Joey.

Doesn't sound to me that he was hustling (based on your description). Did you hear of him actually hustling anyone, or was he just gambling?

Double-Dave
07-11-2016, 02:35 PM

JoeyA

Lots of people find it hard to estimate just how good great players can play and
what kind of weight us B to A players (this is where I put myself) need to make it
an even game. Just the other day one of the best Dutch players offered me 3 on the
wire racing to 9. I asked for 3 racing to 7 and he made like I was trying to hustle him
when in fact he would still be a decent favorite and could easily win the first 3-4 sets
at which point I would probably quit or ask for more weight.

gr. Dave

JoeyA
07-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Nice story, Joey.

Doesn't sound to me that he was hustling (based on your description). Did you hear of him actually hustling anyone, or was he just gambling?

Well, maybe he did or didn't hustle me, except for the fact, that he knew he was stealing from me, no matter how well I played. For me, it was perfectly fine what he did or didn't do.

I guess it depends upon your definition of gambling as to whether or not he was gambling. If you KNOW someone can't beat you, is it still gambling?

JoeyA

JoeyA
07-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Lots of people find it hard to estimate just how good great players can play and
what kind of weight us B to A players (this is where I put myself) need to make it
an even game. Just the other day one of the best Dutch players offered me 3 on the
wire racing to 9. I asked for 3 racing to 7 and he made like I was trying to hustle him
when in fact he would still be a decent favorite and could easily win the first 3-4 sets
at which point I would probably quit or ask for more weight.

gr. Dave

I KNOW you are spot on with the fact that most people have NO IDEA about how they stand up against the elite players. It was fun to find out and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

JoeyA

Tommy-D
07-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Niels lived in Akron,Oh for a while when he first came over,and played in the legendary Starcher's where there were 100 guys that played like burning hell on 9ft Gold Crowns and never dodged anyone. Tommy D.

f210
07-11-2016, 04:35 PM
So Niels beat Gomez but lost to Johann Chua 21 to 16. Did Niels win against Jericho Banares?

Johann Chua is my current favorite Filipino player. I wish he gets a US visa soon so he can play in the US Open. It would be nice to see him in the local tours as a warm up to the UP Open. I believe he would give all of them a run for their money.

BTW, when is the Qatar World Championship? Niels made the right decision in going to the Philippines before this event.

arps
07-11-2016, 04:40 PM
i wonder if he'll play ignacio that'd be a fun one

Ignacio is currently in Japan. There are other players they could match with Niels - Faraon, Alcano, Raga, Lee Vann

f210
07-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Ignacio is currently in Japan. There are other players they could match with Niels - Faraon, Alcano, Raga, Lee Vann

Arps, Can you rank the Filipino young guns in order of who you think is currently the best? Who do you consider the top 5?

arps
07-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Arps, Can you rank the Filipino young guns in order of who you think is currently the best? Who do you consider the top 5?

chua
biado
ignacio
faraon
banares
raga

i put chua on top because his kicking and safety game continuously improves, and he practices his jump shots and break a lot. his practice routine is really good - very consistent. biado over ignacio because of experience. but all these six on the list can beat each other any time. i can put maybe 4 or 5 more on this list but they are not popular and do not really join tournaments local and abroad. i hope we do good in this year's W9B.

AtLarge
07-11-2016, 11:07 PM
chua
biado
ignacio
faraon
banares
raga

i put chua on top because his kicking and safety game continuously improves, and he practices his jump shots and break a lot. his practice routine is really good - very consistent. biado over ignacio because of experience. but all these six on the list can beat each other any time. i can put maybe 4 or 5 more on this list but they are not popular and do not really join tournaments local and abroad. i hope we do good in this year's W9B.

Biado turns 33 this year (from what I can tell). That may take him out of the "young guns" category, but he is certainly a "gun."

LHP5
07-12-2016, 03:48 AM
Agreed with Biado not really being a young gun. I think he's the same age as SVB? Two or so years ago when he started showing up in the Cali tournaments everyone didn't know who he was, but if you followed the world pool scene you would of realize he was already one of the best in the world.

Not really sure of all the players in these rankings but YouTube vids show Biado usually winning in races with the other players. Definitely a beast.

molinatx4206
07-12-2016, 05:46 AM
chua
biado
ignacio
faraon
banares
raga

Surpised not tp see dodong, gonzalez, ado, de luna, banares, Christian,feliciano, baseth, centeno on that list.

GideonF
07-12-2016, 05:58 AM
chua
biado
ignacio
faraon
banares
raga

Thanks for the insight. Where would you put the "old guns" like Orcollo, Django etc on this list?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pangit
07-12-2016, 06:14 AM
Anong klase billiard, 9 balls, 10 balls, one pockets?

arps
07-12-2016, 08:01 AM
Anong klase billiard, 9 balls, 10 balls, one pockets?

meron 9, tapos 10

arps
07-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Banares vs Feijen rematch happening right now!

https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue/videos/10154442514938694/

Later it's gonna be Feijen vs Chua rematch

GideonF
07-12-2016, 08:17 AM

Feijen beat Gonzales quite handily earlier and is now leading Banares 12-9. He appears much more comfortable at the table today. Very interested to see how he does.

All of the matches that I've seen have been on the same table. So Niels has had several days to get accustomed to the table and, in fact, may be more dialed in to the table than the locals - an interesting approach to dealing with their otherwise home court advantage.

molinatx4206
07-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Feijen beat Gonzales quite handily earlier and is now leading Banares 12-9. He appears much more comfortable at the table today. Very interested to see how he does.

All of the matches that I've seen have been on the same table. So Niels has had several days to get accustomed to the table and, in fact, may be more dialed in to the table than the locals - an interesting approach to dealing with their otherwise home court advantage.

All the big boys got used to that table a longggg time ago. They have tons of big money matches and big money mini tournaments there on a regular. Sky was just there not too long ago.

GideonF
07-12-2016, 08:48 AM
All the big boys got used to that table a longggg time ago. They have tons of big money matches and big money mini tournaments there on a regular. Sky was just there not too long ago.

Fair point. But the point about Niels playing all the matches on the same table (and him staying on the table so he knows how it is playing at the very moment) is still interesting to me as a way of at least trying to counter-act or lessen the fact that the local top guns are used to the table and he came in not knowing it.

18-11 Niels vs Banares at the moment, for those that can't watch.

molinatx4206
07-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Fair point. But the point about Niels playing all the matches on the same table (and him staying on the table so he knows how it is playing at the very moment) is still interesting to me as a way of at least trying to counter-act or lessen the fact that the local top guns are used to the table and he came in not knowing it.

Oh yes sir very true. With all the factors constantly affecting the tables in the Philippines, playing on it consistently for days on end definitely plays in Niels favor .

molinatx4206
07-12-2016, 08:59 AM

18-11 Niels vs Banares at the moment, for those that can't watch.

For some reason I can't watch it even though I'm on fb so thanks for the update Gideon .

JoeyA
07-12-2016, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the link.

JoeyA

Double-Dave
07-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Niels wins 23-11

alstl
07-12-2016, 09:38 AM
I'd love to see Niels in one of the "street" videos I've seen Efren in with roosters crowing, bugs flying, the sound of vehicles driving by and complete chaos between every rack.

I'd actually pay to see Earl in that environment. Live entertainment.

GideonF
07-12-2016, 10:05 AM
I'd love to see Niels in one of the "street" videos I've seen Efren in with roosters crowing, bugs flying, the sound of vehicles driving by and complete chaos between every rack.

I'd actually pay to see Earl in that environment. Live entertainment.

Earl's head would explode. So would Archer's (he'd go crazy trying to pick the bugs off the table). I really think Earl has some type of hypersensitivity to distractions, and Johnny has some obsessive compulsive thing going on with the table.

Cardigan Kid
07-12-2016, 06:05 PM
Bert Kinister has some old training videos with Niels when Niels was first coming to America. Kinister makes many remarks on Niels work ethic and the drill videos show it. He's the hardest working professional pool player out there.

He has a wife and two girls back home, and to leave them for extended periods of time to train like this proves his dedication. Very inspiring.

Thank you for the links.

arps
07-13-2016, 12:27 AM
^you are welcome.

Chua vs Feijen happening right now! 9-ball race to 21.

Use the same link, same facebook user.

jay helfert
07-13-2016, 12:43 AM
And this is how you get in stroke and ready for the big boys and big tournaments coming up. Smart move on Niel's part.

To answer the earlier question about how Dennis and Francisco rate with the young guns, Dennis is clearly ahead of all of them with most needing and asking for games on the wire. Maybe only Chua plays him even and reluctantly at that. Dennis remains the king of money games in the PI. Francisco is still the favorite over most of these guys, but he gets action with most of them even. Jeff Deluna is probably a favorite over most of the young guns as well.

Raga may end up being the next superstar to come out of the PI. I'm not sure why it's taking Chua so long to make his mark internationally. He should be playing everywhere by now and making good showings. Biado's game is down from his peak, family responsibilities taking much of his time.

arps
07-13-2016, 05:33 AM
^very good insight jay!

live right now! Chua vs Feijen 3rd match 9b race to 21! both are shooting great!

gxman
07-13-2016, 05:40 AM
^very good insight jay!

live right now! Chua vs Feijen 3rd match 9b race to 21! both are shooting great!

Link Please??

Double-Dave
07-13-2016, 05:48 AM
https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue

gxman
07-13-2016, 06:03 AM
Can someone post up Neils' record vs the list of players? Approximate scores if possible also.

molinatx4206
07-13-2016, 06:13 AM
Updates? Thanks

arps
07-13-2016, 06:15 AM
sorry forgot the link,
https://www.facebook.com/silvia.geroue/videos/10154445188423694/

GideonF
07-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Updates? Thanks

I just tuned in. 15-11 Chua.

molinatx4206
07-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Thanks bud!

GideonF
07-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Can someone post up Neils' record vs the list of players? Approximate scores if possible also.

Niels has posted reports on his Facebook page. Results include game format, where he has posted it (my guess is most of the non-specified ones are 10b).

Day 1

Biado 17, Niels 16
Biado 17, Niels 11

Day 2

Banyares 21, Niels 20
Niels 21, Gomez 7

Day 4 (no day 3)

Banyares 21, Niels 19
Chua 21, Niels 16

Day 5

Biado 21, Niels 17 (9b alternate break)
Niels 21, Biado 19 (9b winner breaks)

Day 6

Niels 21, Gonzales 12 (10b)
Niels 23, Banyares 11 (9b)

GideonF
07-13-2016, 08:03 AM
I just tuned in. 15-11 Chua.

Niels has tied it up at 15-15.

Just broke and no shot at the 1b.

molinatx4206
07-13-2016, 08:03 AM
10ball Is the primary money game they play... Rarely see them gamble on 9 ball

GideonF
07-13-2016, 08:17 AM
Niels has tied it up at 15-15.

Just broke and no shot at the 1b.

Chua wins the safety battle and runs out to the 9b (this match is 9b) and dogs a shot I would not expect a player of his calibre to miss. Leaves Niels frozen to the foot rail, 9b close to straight in 7 feel away - Niels misses and leaves Chua tough. Chua tries the cut (or maybe tried the 3 rail bank - his body was blocking the shot) and sells out.

16-15.

Chua just missed the 1b in the next game. Maybe he's human after all.

molinatx4206
07-13-2016, 08:27 AM
Chua wins the safety battle and runs out to the 9b (this match is 9b) and dogs a shot I would not expect a player of his calibre to miss. Leaves Niels frozen to the foot rail, 9b close to straight in 7 feel away - Niels misses and leaves Chua tough. Chua tries the cut (or maybe tried the 3 rail bank - his body was blocking the shot) and sells out.

16-15.

Chua just missed the 1b in the next game. Maybe he's human after all.

Bubwit is my favorite youn gun Pinoy but I hope Niels wins and gets to match up with Carlo again(my favorite Pinoy)

GideonF
07-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Bubwit is my favorite youn gun Pinoy but I hope Niels wins and gets to match up with Carlo again(my favorite Pinoy)

Chua wins 17-16.

By the way, what does his nick-name "bubwit" mean?

f210
07-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Niels made the right decision to go to the Philippines in preparation for the World Championship in Qater. But it is to the Filipinos' advantage too as they can sharpen their skills against a top notch opponent like Niels.

I remember reading that Sky Woodward went to the Philippines recently too. How did he fare up with these young guns? Who did he beat and who beat him?

Black-Balled
07-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Watching Niels vs Biado.

He will bet it...came thru md a few uears ago and everyone had the 7, at a minimum, 200$ minimum bet for sets to 7

BMC361
07-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Chua wins 17-16.

bubwit = small mouse

arps
07-13-2016, 11:35 AM
Chua wins 17-16.

"Bubwit" means "small mouse" in Filipino. he started young at pool. you'd see this kid run around pool halls back then like it was a playground.

arps
07-13-2016, 11:39 AM
cheers for another world championship title!!! :smile:

hotrod622
07-14-2016, 06:17 PM
chua
biado
ignacio
faraon
banares
raga

How does Edgie Rodrigo Geronimo stack up against these players. I watched him play almost flawless In a gambling match with Vilmos Földes, the he beat Rodney Morris about 8 months ago, and today he is in the process of beating Rodney Morris again for the cash.

arps
07-14-2016, 06:19 PM
How does Edgie Rodrigo Geronimo stack up against these players. I watched him play almost flawless In a gambling match with Vilmos Földes, the he beat Rodney Morris about 8 months ago, and today he is in the process of beating Rodney Morris again for the cash.
he's probably the same caliber as Faraon.

hotrod622
07-14-2016, 06:23 PM
he's probably the same caliber as Faraon.

Does this mean he would need weight from chua, biado or ignacio?

hotrod622
07-14-2016, 06:26 PM
chua
biado
ignacio
faraon
banares
raga

Where does Baseth Mocaibat fit in this group. I watched a video of him spotting Efren Reyes and another of him spotting Francisco Bustamante. That's pretty strong where I come from.

arps
07-14-2016, 07:28 PM
Does this mean he would need weight from chua, biado or ignacio?

of course not. FYI, i've seen edgie beat biado and alcano on money matches. i think he even beat svb in USBTC 10-ball. all these Filipino professionals are pretty much the same caliber (maybe a small difference). the rank i made was based on their tournament exposure. i'd pick chua, ignacio, biado, orcollo, corteza over geronimo for that reason.

hotrod622
07-14-2016, 08:42 PM
of course not. FYI, i've seen edgie beat biado and alcano on money matches. i think he even beat svb in USBTC 10-ball. all these Filipino professionals are pretty much the same caliber (maybe a small difference). the rank i made was based on their tournament exposure. i'd pick chua, ignacio, biado, orcollo, corteza over geronimo for that reason.

Thanks for your insight and reply