PDA

View Full Version : U.S Playes Falling Behind World

Johnnyt
07-11-2016, 07:06 AM
Most U.S players don't get in enough action anymore. The top Asians are matching up every day for small amounts that still sting.

There was a time when I (a B player on 9' table) could walk into most rooms and play most of the top players for $50-$100 with a spot that made them work for the money. Now all they want to do is play for $1000's. They sometimes wait weeks for a big game, but of course with someone other than there own money. NO PRESSURE.

To be a top pool player you need to be mentally tough. All but SVB are still waiting for that big game while the rest of the world is taking at least 70% of the tournament purses.

If you want to be a top pro... get in the grease. Johnnyt

Lesh
07-11-2016, 07:29 AM
Oh I'm coming to the tournaments this year buddy. I am going to make life interesting for the tournament set for sure. I have spent the last few years working out the kinks and I am now half-way deadly again. I am actually better thank I have ever been in my life.

Stayed away from tournaments up til now... but those days are over. I will be attending the next DCC in the one pocket division. Imma jump on it.

Lesh

King T
07-11-2016, 09:02 AM
I have seen it over and over in Houston, Dallas, Lafayette and New Orleans where the top talent in the country shows up for tournaments and then wont gamble unless its for so crazy amount, so they end up in a bank ring game for $10 a rail.

Nobody matches up in rotation so when they show up to tournaments their not ready to win because they can stay in line or come with the big shot, they cant get out!

Bella Don't Cry
07-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Most U.S players don't get in enough action anymore. The top Asians are matching up every day for small amounts that still sting.

There was a time when I (a B player on 9' table) could walk into most rooms and play most of the top players for $50-$100 with a spot that made them work for the money. Now all they want to do is play for $1000's. They sometimes wait weeks for a big game, but of course with someone other than there own money. NO PRESSURE.

To be a top pool player you need to be mentally tough. All but SVB are still waiting for that big game while the rest of the world is taking at least 70% of the tournament purses.

I agree.
In recent visits to the States I've received a number of offers from non-serious backers to play for chump change. My reply has always been the same - whilst I'm playing with your money (albeit a small amount) I have no expectations of myself to perform. It's like playing an exhibition - So no thanks

Different game all together when the bread in your pocket was hard earned! :thumbup:

Maxx
07-11-2016, 02:40 PM
I think we're falling behind in speling too........

JoeyA
07-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Johnnyt,
You are right about this.

The top American players aren't matching up with each other on a regular basis. Except for some of the big entry fee tournaments that PoolActionTv has made popular, there isn't a whole lot of money to be earned for these guys.

The Filipinos stay in action, regardless of the dollar amount. It may be the primary difference between their consistency in tournaments and that of American players.

JoeyA

Johnnyt
07-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Johnnyt,
You are right about this.

The top American players aren't matching up with each other on a regular basis. Except for some of the big entry fee tournaments that PoolActionTv has made popular, there isn't a whole lot of money to be earned for these guys.

The Filipinos stay in action, regardless of the dollar amount. It may be the primary difference between their consistency in tournaments and that of American players.

JoeyA

Are you trying to give me a heart attack agreeing with me? Hope you're doing well. Johnnyt

JoeyA
07-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Are you trying to give me a heart attack agreeing with me? Hope you're doing well. Johnnyt

It's easy to agree with you when you're in line with my thinking. :wink:

JoeyA