PDA

View Full Version : Schon cue tips

jimtauer
07-11-2016, 08:06 AM
I have tried posting this in sub-forums but figured more people would read this here-

I am searching for someone that either has, or knows where I can find original Schon tips that come with their new cues/shafts.

I went to local cue shop, asked for original Schon tip, and what I got was far from it - it mushroomed immediately, did not play the same as the original, and as most are aware, the original Schon tips are extremely hard.

I was then told by a forum member that they were 'WB' tips. So I bought some of those and had one installed; again it is not the same, I feel a 'thud' when hitting the ball, not a crisp sound/feel of the original tip.

I have tried contacting Schon directly about this and have not received a response either. I have also contacted a few dealers and they say Schon is not very forthcoming about what tips they use (?!)

I don't know why this is such a mystery, but I have become accustomed to playing with this tip and don't want to switch.

If I do have to switch, would something like a Kamui Black Hard be a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Atlatlien
07-11-2016, 08:13 AM
I thought they came with LePros, could be wrong though

cuesblues
07-11-2016, 08:17 AM
I've heard that it is a "proprietary" tip, but they remind me of a double pressed Lepro

Johnny Rosato
07-11-2016, 09:05 AM
I have tried posting this in sub-forums but figured more people would read this here-

I am searching for someone that either has, or knows where I can find original Schon tips that come with their new cues/shafts.

I went to local cue shop, asked for original Schon tip, and what I got was far from it - it mushroomed immediately, did not play the same as the original, and as most are aware, the original Schon tips are extremely hard.

I was then told by a forum member that they were 'WB' tips. So I bought some of those and had one installed; again it is not the same, I feel a 'thud' when hitting the ball, not a crisp sound/feel of the original tip.

I have tried contacting Schon directly about this and have not received a response either. I have also contacted a few dealers and they say Schon is not very forthcoming about what tips they use (?!)

I don't know why this is such a mystery, but I have become accustomed to playing with this tip and don't want to switch.

If I do have to switch, would something like a Kamui Black Hard be a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
http://www.schoncues.com/#!services3/c1kja

Chopdoc
07-11-2016, 09:18 AM
http://www.schoncues.com/#!services3/c1kja

You beat me to it.

Seemed to obvious....

jimtauer
07-11-2016, 09:20 AM
I saw that and tried a WB tip. It is not the same as the original (I even have an extra original shaft here to compare it to).

Chopdoc
07-11-2016, 09:29 AM
I saw that and tried a WB tip. It is not the same as the original (I even have an extra original shaft here to compare it to).

Did you get your tip replaced by Schon?

erhino41
07-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Try milk duds. They have been the closest I've found. Pooldawg8 makes some great ones.

jimtauer
07-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Did you get your tip replaced by Schon?

No. Maybe I'm missing something but why would that matter? Are you suggesting I would have to ship my shaft to them and have them replace it, that they do something special to it?

cuesblues
07-11-2016, 09:44 AM
You might like Tiger Onyx
They are a crisp hitting medium-hard tip.
Kind of expensive but I really like them.
Also I would try a Kamikaze brown medium and hard, and start with the medium.

Chopdoc
07-11-2016, 09:58 AM
No. Maybe I'm missing something but why would that matter? Are you suggesting I would have to ship my shaft to them and have them replace it, that they do something special to it?

I didn't suggest it, I asked if you had.

It seems that if you can't match it, and they aren't forthcoming , then yes...they do something "special". Likely a proprietary tip.

Just a suspicion.

Seems like several people suggest tips to try that they feel are "close". You might have to try 2 or 3 or more to find what you want. All of a sudden in the face of that sending the shaft to Schon for a tip does not seem completely unreasonable.

Just a thought.

Duane Remick
07-11-2016, 10:03 AM
SEYBERTS SELLS THE AUTHENTIC SCHON CUE TIPS-
SPECIAL MADE FOR SCHON-
WATER BUFFALO TIPS:wink:

Fenwick
07-11-2016, 10:14 AM

Not me but I've had them done at a discount price. $20. I play at Romine's. I put them on my Viking cue with a Z2 shaft. No complaints here. Would I bother to ship, no. Just have a water buffalo tip installed if you like a hard tip. They last a long time. P.M. me if you want the scoop. Lots of hard tips out there.

Chopdoc
07-11-2016, 11:32 AM
SPECIAL MADE FOR SCHON-

Looks like a good lead....

cuesblues
07-11-2016, 12:24 PM
SPECIAL MADE FOR SCHON-

What does that have to do with anything?
Please stay on topic

:smile:

a1712
07-11-2016, 12:28 PM
SPECIAL MADE FOR SCHON-

Seberts hasn't had them listed for a while. But Mr. Clarke told me face to face that they used a WB w/a pad. Brian.

Shawn Armstrong
07-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Talk with Evan. Segen Cues. He still uses the same tip.

Duane Remick
07-11-2016, 01:13 PM
What does that have to do with anything?
Please stay on topic

:smile:

PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL POST-
HE WAS ASKING ABOUT SCHON CUE TIPS :confused:

a1712
07-11-2016, 02:09 PM

I believe the smiley face was meant that he was being sarcastic/facetious/funny. Bad thing about printed text, you can not read tone. Brian.

jimtauer
07-11-2016, 02:26 PM
I saw that a while back.

I contacted Seyberts about them as I no longer saw them listed on their web site. This was their response:

"Hello, we do not have any in stock at this time... Schon has limited production on there tips. thanks"

Sounds like it might be worth it for me just to ship my shaft to Schon and have them do it. I could spend a fortune in tip installs otherwise.

Are there different brands of Water buffalo tips? I used "WB" brand at someone's suggestion, but it is definitely not the same tip as Schon's.

Duane Remick
07-11-2016, 03:17 PM
I saw that a while back.

I contacted Seyberts about them as I no longer saw them listed on their web site. This was their response:

"Hello, we do not have any in stock at this time... Schon has limited production on there tips. thanks"

Sounds like it might be worth it for me just to ship my shaft to Schon and have them do it. I could spend a fortune in tip installs otherwise.

Are there different brands of Water buffalo tips? I used "WB" brand at someone's suggestion, but it is definitely not the same tip as Schon's.

The "W B " tips ARE DEFINITELY NOT THE SAME AS SCHON TIPS...
" I have tried the wb, not the same.
I recommend a PRESSED LE PRO- See if you can get the 15MM LE PRO-
15 MM ALWAYS BETTER QUALITY THAN THE SMALLER ONES...
"NOT SURE WHY,
BUT MY EXPERIENCE-
the smaller tips poor quality,
2nd recommendation
BROWN HARD KAMUI

Tommy-D
07-11-2016, 04:26 PM
The closest thing to whatever water buffalo tip Schon uses is a tip that is no longer made,the reddish-coated one piece Sumo. That is based on personal results. The Sumos can still be found,but not common.

Whatever Schon uses is typically thicker than most,but the closest thing out there these days is indeed the WB brand that can be had from any number of places online.

The trick is simple really. Just re-press them to your liking in a good,solid vise.

Evan never told me what they were actually starting out with,but added that their "proprietary" tips are indeed re-pressed to some extent.

On the other hand,it's not uncommon for even a new,thick WB tip,including the ones that come on new Schon shafts to be too hard for the user's liking. Tommy D.

jimtauer
07-11-2016, 05:27 PM
I was able to contact Evan and he is shipping me some tips. Am hopeful that solves my problem. Thanks to all for your advice.

cuesblues
07-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Hey man, I had the smiley face emoticon and everything because I figured it would get me in trouble otherwise.

:smile::smile:

xxxbilliards
07-11-2016, 06:59 PM
"proprietary" tip,

erhino41
07-11-2016, 08:44 PM
You have to remember that they use a pad as well. I'm not sure if it is a standard pad or their own thing, but if you want it exactly like new, you need to have the pad.

wild8bill9
07-11-2016, 10:56 PM
Contact Segen cues. Saw Mr. Clarke at VNEA internationals and ask the same question, he said he has some to sell at a good price.