PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky identification and bumper question

pongohops
07-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Picked up this sneaky today with the intention of using it as a break cue. I haven't tried it out yet, but very happy with the pickup for the price (if the seller is a member here... I am happy with it :) ). Very nice and solid looking cue.

I am curious as to the maker though if anyone can help me out. Also, I am interested in switching out the bumper for a non-screw down type - the hole/plug appears to be 1/2" with the bumper being 1 1/8" at the widest part.

Here are some details :

- 58"
- ferrule is 12.75 wide and 24.5 long (not Meucci length)
- shaft is pro taper
- 5/16 X 18 pin
- has a weight bolt in the butt that looks like an allen key
- current bumper screws into the weight bolt - the center of the weight bolt is drilled and threaded to accept the threads on the bumper

Any ideas what make this is? Any ideas where to find a normal 'plug' bumper with a 1/2" plug? I've been looking around and can't seem to find one, but most places don't list the dimensions and only the brand it fits.

pongohops
07-11-2016, 04:56 PM
full pic... points are very sharp and practically identical all the way around.

Chopdoc
07-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Many have used that bumper including Dufferin.

Hard to say.

pongohops
07-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Okay - thanks. I didn't know if some of the details would distinguish it or not - weight bolt, sanded end, etc.

It's not a huge deal to find out the make, but I am really curious. Looks and feels great so as long as it plays well I'm a happy camper. Just going to be a break cue anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopdoc
07-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Looks like a decent cue.

One like that just went on Ebay. Is that it?

pongohops
07-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Pic of the 5/16 x 18 pin

pongohops
07-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Looks like a decent cue.

One like that just went on Ebay. Is that it?

Probably the same one you are thinking of because I got it off ebay... been keeping my eye out for a decent sneaky to use as a break and I couldn't pass up the price on this one.

Nuts4Tascarellas
07-11-2016, 05:34 PM
That is an Action bumper. I think the cue is a converted Action also. 98 percent sure...

Chopdoc
07-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Probably the same one you are thinking of because I got it off ebay... been keeping my eye out for a decent sneaky to use as a break and I couldn't pass up the price on this one.

I saw it. I thought it looked like a nice cue for the money. I already have three sneaky cues so I didn't go for it.

I am constantly watching cues. A lot of the time for ID or pricing or some other research.

I actually looked at ID-ing that before you posted it. Didn't try very hard though.

Enjoy it. :thumbup:

Chopdoc
07-11-2016, 05:37 PM
That is an Action bumper. I think the cue is a converted Action also. 98 percent sure...

Yes, Action uses that bumper.

So do others though.

Not unlikely an action.

I have an Action like it actually.

poolguy4u
07-11-2016, 06:56 PM
:sorry:

I don't know what you paid for the cue...but if you paid more than $60, it was too much.

You can get a J&J with a weight bolt, break tip, and a push in bumper for $60.

:thumbup:

pongohops
07-11-2016, 07:15 PM
:sorry:

I don't know what you paid for the cue...but if you paid more than $60, it was too much.

You can get a J&J with a weight bolt, break tip, and a push in bumper for $60.

:thumbup:

I think you got all my previous posts wrong. I'm very happy with the cue and price just curious who made it - that is all. I didn't buy this thinking it was a hidden gem, looking to resell, or anything like that.

I'm aware of J&J cues, and the MANY others, out there for cheap as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pongohops
07-12-2016, 05:07 PM
Pulled the weight bolt out this afternoon to take a look. Doing some researching it appears this is an Action (and a few others) style weight bolt, however, I can find none which have a threaded hole in the top for the screw in rubber bumper. 1/2" diameter at the top non-threaded portion and .545 on the threads.

The guessing continues...

Chopdoc
07-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Action is a brand, not a manufacturer. Several brands will share parts because they are made in the same factory.

Easy enough to drill and tap a weight bolt for a bumper screw.