PDA

View Full Version : Justin Bergman not on Team USA Mosconi Cup?

00john
07-14-2016, 08:51 AM
I went to Vegas last year to watch the mosconi cup why live. Justin Bergman was a pivotal part of the team. I noticed he isn't even in the top 10 on the potential mosconi Cup team list. Bummer!

Cardigan Kid
07-14-2016, 08:54 AM
I went to Vegas last year to watch the mosconi cup why live. Justin Bergman was a pivotal part of the team. I noticed he isn't even in the top 10 on the potential mosconi Cup team list. Bummer!

The captain still gets two picks from what I can remember. So he can still make the team that way.

AtLarge
07-14-2016, 09:08 AM

He's currently in 11th place, with the majority of the points events yet to be played.

BRussell
07-14-2016, 09:16 AM
He's registered for the 8-ball and 10-ball events in Vegas next week. I'm also curious about which Americans are playing in the world 9-ball in Qatar, but I just looked and don't see a list of entries.

watchez
07-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Justin is not going to Qatar. I assume Dechaine and Rodney are not either as they are scheduled to be on the CSI stream for challenge matches out in Vegas.

Oscar is going to Qatar. I would think SVB is as well or he would most likely been on a CSI stream match.

I posted this earlier - Mark Wilson will have a heck of a decision to make if the top 3 in Mosconi Cup points remain the same at the end.

Morris
Dominquez
Dechaine

That leaves 2 spots for what I feel is the obvious next 3 in line for the captains choice pick --- SVB, Sky, Justin.

BRussell
07-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Here's what I found: SVB is playing in one of those matches in Vegas, against Hohmann, on the 26th. Dechaine v. Rodney on the 27th, and then Bergman v. Deuel on the 28th. The first stage (after the qualifiers) of the World 9-ball starts on the 29th. I could see SVB making it but not sure about the others. I believe the US gets to enter a couple of players without need for qualifiers, but not sure about how that works (neither Dechaine nor SVB did qualifiers last year).

molinatx4206
07-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Here's what I found: SVB is playing in one of those matches in Vegas, against Hohmann, on the 26th. Dechaine v. Rodney on the 27th, and then Bergman v. Deuel on the 28th. The first stage (after the qualifiers) of the World 9-ball starts on the 29th. I could see SVB making it but not sure about the others. I believe the US gets to enter a couple of players without need for qualifiers, but not sure about how that works (neither Dechaine nor SVB did qualifiers last year).

Mike might beable to get without qualifying.... Rocket also now that i think about it. Svb is a given. Sky and justin would needto go through qualifiers

kcnate66
07-14-2016, 09:53 AM
Bergman played in Olathe, just didn't have a great finish for him. I imagine he's gearing up to make his run up the standings with most of the points events still remaining.

ElLeon
07-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Justin is not going to Qatar. I assume Dechaine and Rodney are not either as they are scheduled to be on the CSI stream for challenge matches out in Vegas.

Oscar is going to Qatar. I would think SVB is as well or he would most likely been on a CSI stream match.

I posted this earlier - Mark Wilson will have a heck of a decision to make if the top 3 in Mosconi Cup points remain the same at the end.

Morris
Dominquez
Dechaine

That leaves 2 spots for what I feel is the obvious next 3 in line for the captains choice pick --- SVB, Sky, Justin.

The more I think about this, the more I think that Deschaine should recuse himself from MC play in the best interests of his image and the US team in general.

This may be harsh, but even APA teams who go to Vegas know which players will play and which ones won't.

BRussell
07-14-2016, 11:05 AM
The more I think about this, the more I think that Deschaine should recuse himself from MC play in the best interests of his image and the US team in general.

This may be harsh, but even APA teams who go to Vegas know which players will play and which ones won't.

Can you explain this? Why should Mike not be on the Mosconi Cup team?

molinatx4206
07-14-2016, 11:10 AM

Im lost on this one

HawaiianEye
07-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Can you explain this? Why should Mike not be on the Mosconi Cup team?

To save room for Earl. :)

ElLeon
07-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Incredibly poor track record in the MC.

Earl and his ilk are great individual players, but do not have the temperament/capacity to be in team sports. Deschaine seems to be in this boat.

Mole Eye
07-14-2016, 11:57 AM
If past performance excludes a player, who have we got that would qualify? Having played under the pressure of the Mosconi Cup, and being willing and able to compete for a spot again, tells me that Mr. Dechaine deserves a spot if he's in the top 3. As we know, there are no easy matches against the European team, so we need our best players, and like him or not, he's one of them. For all the players who make it, and all those trying, I for one are pulling for you.

Str8PoolPlayer
07-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Corey Deuel is the Best Choice, imho.

AtLarge
07-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Dechaine's Mosconi Cup record:

2011 -- 1-1 in singles, 0-2 in doubles, 0-1 teams, 1-4 total

2012 -- 0-2 singles, 1-2 doubles, 1-0 teams, 2-4 total

2015 -- 0-1 singles, 1-2 doubles, 1-0 teams, 2-3 total

3-year total -- 1-4 singles, 2-6 doubles, 2-1 teams, 5-11 total (winning percentage of 31%)

Another way of looking at the records is to count a full point for each player in a singles win or loss, half a point for each player in a doubles win or loss, and one-fifth of a point for each player in a team win or loss. So this essentially answer the question: "What numerical contribution has a player made to the overall Mosconi Cup match scores?" On this basis, Dechaine's 3-year record is 2.4 - 7.2 (winning percentage of 25%).

BRussell
07-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Thanks AtLarge. I think it's also important, though, to compare his performance to the other US players, who as a group have not won the Cup since before Mike started playing in it. (I'm not asking you to do that [unless you really want to ;)], but I think we all know how dismal the group's performance has been during that time.)

AtLarge
07-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Corey Deuel is the Best Choice, imho.

Deuel has played on 9 Mosconi Cup teams. Counting a full win or loss for each player in a match, his overall record is 7-6 singles, 13-12 doubles, 2-0 trebles, 5-2 teams, 27-20 total (winning percentage of 57%).

Counting half a point for each player in a doubles win or loss, a third of a point for each player in a trebles (played only in 2006) win or loss, and one-fifth of a point (one-sixth in 2006 when the teams had 6 players) for each player in a team win or loss, Deuel's overall record is 15.1 - 12.4 (winning percentage of 55%).

AtLarge
07-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Thanks AtLarge. I think it's also important, though, to compare his performance to the other US players, who as a group have not won the Cup since before Mike started playing in it. (I'm not asking you to do that [unless you really want to ;)], but I think we all know how dismal the group's performance has been during that time.)

Here are the numbers for the 3 years (combined) that Dechaine was on the team (2011, 2012, 2015):

Counting a full point for each player in a match:
Dechaine -- 1-4 singles, 2-6 doubles, 2-1 team, 5-11 total (winning percentage of 31%)
Other Team USA players -- 10-17, 18-16 doubles, 8-4 team, 36-37 total (49%)
Total Team USA -- 11-21, 20-22, 10-5, 41-48 (46%)

Counting half a point for each player in a doubles match and one-fifth of a point for each player in a team match:
Dechaine -- 2.4 - 7.2 (25%)
Other Team USA players -- 20.6 - 25.8 (44%)
Total Team USA -- 23 - 33 (41%)

gxman
07-14-2016, 12:58 PM
It doesn't seem like Justin and Corey has been playing in a lot of pool tournaments this year. If they get in, its more by virtue of their name and history and not what they have done this year. Of course theres still a few big tournaments left to be played.

watchez
07-14-2016, 01:18 PM
By the way, I watched Justin practice for about 5 hours the other night. Let's just say he looked determined.

Joe_Jaguar
07-14-2016, 01:53 PM
The first stage (after the qualifiers) of the World 9-ball starts on the 29th. I could see SVB making it but not sure about the others. I believe the US gets to enter a couple of players without need for qualifiers, but not sure about how that works (neither Dechaine nor SVB did qualifiers last year).

The BCA gets allotted 8 spots:
http://qbsf.qa/pub/2016-world-9-ball-tournament-information/

ElLeon
07-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Appreciate you guys bringing these statistics into the debate. Further evidence that Dechaine is not a solid choice for this tournament.

Aside from the obviously lackluster performances he has served up at the MC, you also have to incorporate his attitude and difficult personality once behind in a match. He has even appeared un-coach-able in doubles play, with his "i'm always correct" personality.

Point being, he is a great player and does well in longer races and longer tournaments. But as a captain, he wouldn't posses traits i'd build my team around. Sky, Bergman, Mora, Duel, the Lion and SVB would all be better choices for purposes of putting together a MC roster with a shot at victory.

Full disclosure: I think Dechaine is a fantastic player and have met him in person with a good conversation from it (back when he was an OB rep and showing off some products and games). However, I have serious doubts about his ability to get into a short race immediately and even keep attention long enough to come up with quality ways of getting out of racks rather than taking lower % shots then getting even more despondent that the balls didn't roll his way. He hates taking any advice and seems to prefer being in a match entirely alone, rather than any form of teamwork or feedback on his game.

0-5 loss to Niels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWM5GmOiKgk

3-5 loss to Albin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7teFLps6-q8

2-5 loss to Nick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YadUQ6_XugY

oneshotwiss
07-18-2016, 06:42 AM

3-year total -- 1-4 singles, 2-6 doubles, 2-1 teams, 5-11 total (winning percentage of 31%)

Another way of looking at the records is to count a full point for each player in a singles win or loss, half a point for each player in a doubles win or loss, and one-fifth of a point for each player in a team win or loss. So this essentially answer the question: "What numerical contribution has a player made to the overall Mosconi Cup match scores?" On this basis, Dechaine's 3-year record is 2.4 - 7.2 (winning percentage of 25%).

Show SVB's MC stats

crabbcatjohn
07-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Sky is invited to Qatar and doesn't need to play in the qualifying rounds.

AtLarge
07-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Show SVB's MC stats

Yes, Sir!

Van Boening has been on the Mosconi Cup team all 9 years beginning with 2007. The combined win-loss records for those 9 years:

Matches involving SVB
10-14 in singles (winning percentage of 42%)
11-11 in doubles (50%)
21-25 singles and doubles (46%)
4-5 in teams (44%)
25-30 total (45%)

Matches not involving SVB
20-40 singles (33%)
17-25 doubles (40%)
37-65 singles and doubles (36%)

All matches
30-54 singles (36%)
28-36 doubles (44%)
58-90 singles and doubles (39%)
4-5 teams (44%)
62-95 total (39%)

sciarco
07-18-2016, 01:22 PM
1-SVB
2- Rocket
3- Bergman
4- Sky
5-Oscar

OLD NO 9
07-18-2016, 02:00 PM
I seem to remember that there are certain American players barred from future Mosconi Cup participation because of past behavior problems.

Does anyone know who is on the barred list?

J SCHWARZ
07-18-2016, 04:46 PM

Str8PoolPlayer
07-18-2016, 07:04 PM
Yes, Sir!

Van Boening has been on the Mosconi Cup team all 9 years beginning with 2007. The combined win-loss records for those 9 years:

Matches involving SVB
10-14 in singles (winning percentage of 42%)
11-11 in doubles (50%)
21-25 singles and doubles (46%)
4-5 in teams (44%)
25-30 total (45%)

Matches not involving SVB
20-40 singles (33%)
17-25 doubles (40%)
37-65 singles and doubles (36%)

All matches
30-54 singles (36%)
28-36 doubles (44%)
58-90 singles and doubles (39%)
4-5 teams (44%)
62-95 total (39%)

Hmmmm ...... Corey is Looking Good against those numbers.

7forlife
07-19-2016, 04:55 AM
I guess we're going to be doing this every year now.

Joe_Jaguar
07-19-2016, 06:38 AM
I guess we're going to be doing this every year now.

Well the players should be held up to some standards every year to be considered for this event rather than just being given a free ride and just show up for a nice payday. Should Archer just be on it year after year? Heck you got people on here that would argue that the team should be Strickland, Varner, Rempe, Sigel, and McCready. Too many people living in the past.

Stats aside, I though watching the last few Mosconi Cups that Dueul was the worst performer there. Mistake after mistake. The young guns looked pretty good. If the Coach did any coaching at all, the one obvious thing that needs to be addressed when comparing to the Euros is the team play. Why is Dechaine's interaction with his partners not addressed? Way too much talking during team play. Could go on and on...

kkdanamatt
07-19-2016, 07:21 AM

Mike Dechaine's poor Mosconi Cup record underscores the fact that he is not a great team player. True, past performance does not guarantee future results, but the Mosconi Cup is, first and foremost, a team event.
Individual play is important, but team chemistry must be considered a priority.

Here is my "dream team": Rodney, Shane, Oscar, Justin B., and Sky.
Each one has the experience, the skill, and the temperament required for team play.
There are no screaming egos, a nice balance of young and old, and consistent winning attitudes all around.
Shane is not a natural-born leader, but I think his presence will bring out Oscar's best, which will bring out Rodney's best, etc., etc.

Joe_Jaguar
07-19-2016, 08:11 AM
Mike Dechaine's poor Mosconi Cup record underscores the fact that he is not a great team player. True, past performance does not guarantee future results, but the Mosconi Cup is, first and foremost, a team event.
Individual play is important, but team chemistry must be considered a priority.

Here is my "dream team": Rodney, Shane, Oscar, Justin B., and Sky.
Each one has the experience, the skill, and the temperament required for team play.
There are no screaming egos, a nice balance of young and old, and consistent winning attitudes all around.
Shane is not a natural-born leader, but I think his presence will bring out Oscar's best, which will bring out Rodney's best, etc., etc.

The "temperament"? Wasn't it Rodney dropping a F bomb during the middle of the broadcast when he was last on the team? Or was that Hatch?

alstl
07-19-2016, 09:19 AM
If Mark Wilson is running the team Bergman will be on it. You can book that.

watchez
07-19-2016, 09:32 AM
If Mark Wilson is running the team Bergman will be on it. You can book that.

Or it could be that simply, Justin is the second best player in the USA -- skill wise and under pressure.

JumpinJoe
07-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Or it could be that simply, Justin is the second best player in the USA -- skill wise and under pressure.

That's the truth.
Playing rotation he is the 2nd best. This is Not even up for debate.

BRussell
07-19-2016, 12:30 PM
That's the truth.
Playing rotation he is the 2nd best. This is Not even up for debate.
I think it's debatable between Dechaine and Bergman.

jasonlaus
07-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Wilke going to Qatar also, invited no qualifier.

barrymuch90
07-19-2016, 02:04 PM
Wilkie is killing it he's somewhat local to where I'm from and he's been one of if not the top players since I got into this game. His game has come so far from about 7-10 years ago. He was extremely good back then but he seems on an entirely different level. I remember he went to the phillipeans years back and all the local haters were saying he shouldn't go he has no chance he's gonna donate but obviously he knew what he wanted and it wasn't to be a big fish in a little pond. Glad to hear he got invited to Qatar that's impressive. Good luck hope u can make some waves Wilkie and I'd love to see u on mosconi team but I'm sure eventually u will be so let the haters hate n keep persevering

jasonlaus
07-19-2016, 04:18 PM
Wilkie is killing it he's somewhat local to where I'm from and he's been one of if not the top players since I got into this game. His game has come so far from about 7-10 years ago. He was extremely good back then but he seems on an entirely different level. I remember he went to the phillipeans years back and all the local haters were saying he shouldn't go he has no chance he's gonna donate but obviously he knew what he wanted and it wasn't to be a big fish in a little pond. Glad to hear he got invited to Qatar that's impressive. Good luck hope u can make some waves Wilkie and I'd love to see u on mosconi team but I'm sure eventually u will be so let the haters hate n keep persevering

I play on a "Masters" team with him, what a great guy! No drinking, none of the other stuff, just concentrates on pool and photography. He'd be a great representative of our country if he makes it.
Jason

sjm
07-19-2016, 05:22 PM

Team USA loses time and again because of singles. Justin went 1-2 in singles at the 2015 Mosconi. He's sitting in 11th place right now because he hasn't had high finishes this year yet. That should change, but if it doesn't, why should he be considered at all after being a wild card pick a year ago? If he's got enough game to deserve inclusion, let him show it in competition.

Justin Bergman
07-24-2016, 10:54 PM
I normally don't reply but that's how bad pool is nobody can even gage players. They go by if you won or lost a race to 3 even if the guy that beat you missed 4 balls and made 2 9 balls on the break lol. I know your entitled to your opinion and understand a win is a win but pool has so much variance where you don't always get your chances. There is a lot of times the balls don't lay good or you just simply don't get as many chances as your opponent that's why long races in pool is the right way to play. Tennis matches or golf tournaments don't take 15 minutes where one shot could change the match. Imagine that there would be a new winner every week in tennis if it was a race to 5 points and even then tennis you get equal opportunities.

That said no hard feelings but I would play anyone that you would like to put up or lose that you think I have not played better than this year. Sorry for the rant just had to get that off my chest

HawaiianEye
07-24-2016, 11:39 PM
I normally don't reply but that's how bad pool is nobody can even gage players. They go by if you won or lost a race to 3 even if the guy that beat you missed 4 balls and made 2 9 balls on the break lol. I know your entitled to your opinion and understand a win is a win but pool has so much variance where you don't always get your chances. There is a lot of times the balls don't lay good or you just simply don't get as many chances as your opponent that's why long races in pool is the right way to play. Tennis matches or golf tournaments don't take 15 minutes where one shot could change the match. Imagine that there would be a new winner every week in tennis if it was a race to 5 points and even then tennis you get equal opportunities.

That said no hard feelings but I would play anyone that you would like to put up or lose that you think I have not played better than this year. Sorry for the rant just had to get that off my chest

I agree 100%.

Races should be to 21, as a minimum.

ribdoner
07-24-2016, 11:40 PM

If you don't make it on points you should, and will be one of the coaches picks

If you don't participate it would greatly reduce our chances of winning

Wedge
07-25-2016, 11:35 AM

Justin, if you don't finish in the top 10 in Mosconi Cup points do you feel you should be picked as a wild card?

Thanks

Wedge

Jaden
07-25-2016, 11:54 AM

I don't disagree.

I think that pool needs to make higher entry fee lower entrant count tourneys where only the best players will show up.

Get more 32-64 player tourneys with $2K or even 10K entry fees.

It worked for poker and there was no added money or dead money in the early days of, for example, the WSOP.

Most players have backers anyways. The only problem is getting those backers to be interested when the race gets longer and the conditions tougher, because the variance in winners get smaller the tougher the conditions and the longer the races.

Jaden

caff3in3
07-25-2016, 04:45 PM

Thanks for posting Justin, appreciate having you on azb!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

shasta777
07-25-2016, 04:58 PM

Justin... the longer races will certainly show who the better player is... (not always as if a player is on that day/week then results can vary a little or alot) ... I personally like the longer races... as far as higher entry fees... it may be fine for the pros who have backing... but could hurt the game for less experienced players who can NOT play 8hrs a day. Just my 2 cents!!

Wedge
07-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Justin, if you don't finish in the top 10 in Mosconi Cup points do you feel you should be picked as a wild card?

Thanks

Wedge

A response either way from Justin would be refreshing.

Wedge

BRussell
07-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Wedge, how can a guy answer that question? What do you want him to say?

Edit: Top 10 list after this week. Rodney still in first, Shane in 3rd now after two wins.

RANK PLAYER POINTS
1 MORRIS Rodney 178
2 DOMINGUEZ Oscar 161
3 VAN BOENING Shane 150
4 DECHAINE Mike 133
5 WOODWARD Skyler 115
6 WILKIE Shaun 83
7 MCMINN Shane 74
8 LOMBARDO Hunter 71
9 DEUEL Corey 62
10 SAEZ Robb 59

AtLarge
07-26-2016, 11:54 PM

Edit: Top 10 list after this week. Rodney still in first, Shane in 3rd now after two wins.

RANK PLAYER POINTS
1 MORRIS Rodney 178
2 DOMINGUEZ Oscar 161
3 VAN BOENING Shane 150
4 DECHAINE Mike 133
5 WOODWARD Skyler 115
6 WILKIE Shaun 83
7 MCMINN Shane 74
8 LOMBARDO Hunter 71
9 DEUEL Corey 62
10 SAEZ Robb 59

Which means -- Matchroom Sport, presumably because of field size, did not award any points for 17th-24th place or 25th-32nd place in either of the recent US Opens.

BeiberLvr
07-27-2016, 04:09 AM

RANK PLAYER POINTS
1 MORRIS Rodney 178
2 DOMINGUEZ Oscar 161
3 VAN BOENING Shane 150
4 DECHAINE Mike 133
5 WOODWARD Skyler 115
6 WILKIE Shaun 83
7 MCMINN Shane 74
8 LOMBARDO Hunter 71
9 DEUEL Corey 62
10 SAEZ Robb 59

I think that top 5 is really solid. I would be okay with switching Lombardo for Dechaine, only because of

MD's record at the MC and to have a fresh face on the team. Out of the top 10 that hasn't be on a MC team, I think Hunter would be the best.

As far as Bergman goes, he's a fantastic player, but hasn't had a great year (it happens). In my opinion, no one outside the top 10 should even be considered.

sjm
07-27-2016, 07:15 AM

The Mosconi is about short races and who can deal with the extreme pressure they offer. I would recommend to Mosconi hopefuls to play as few long races as possible and concentrate on the shorter races, which are what we find in the tournament scene. Who performs well over a calendar year is not about a roll here and a roll there but about the ability to win countless short matches when push comes to shove.

Every 2016 Mosconi hopeful knew the criteria for qualifying for the Mosconi entering this year. Those who have performed, especially Rodney Morris, deserve their good position in the Mosconi rankings.

Let the chips fall where they may, and let the most accomplished as measured by Mosconi ranking points, be rewarded. I believe, Justin, that you will earn enough points to qualify, and wish you good luck.

molinatx4206
07-27-2016, 07:23 AM
Shane said it best.that they should be practicing with the 9 on the spot

Island Drive
07-27-2016, 11:13 AM

This thinking is why I prefer certain international and national events to be just like the majors in tennis over a period of 4 days. This way if ya get knocked out early, ya can split instead of being milked for an extra day or two. Sets, single elimination, best 3 outta five, 5 minute break between sets, one break per set. Lag for who breaks first set and who racks the first set. Second set you switch. You break, opponent racks, using a template rack. Tiebreakers, just like tennis, matches scheduled every 5 hours.