PDA

View Full Version : Break Cue Recommendations

DrCue'sProtege
07-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Ok, as most know I just got my Joss about a week ago. Now I am in search of a break cue as I don't really have one cue that's dedicated to breaking only.

I'd like to keep this fairly simple as I don't need anything elaborate for a breaker. Points, inlays, etc, that's all not necessary. Plus I don't really want to spend a lot of $$$ on a breaker.

Recommendations?

r/DCP

Johnny Rosato
07-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Ok, as most know I just got my Joss about a week ago. Now I am in search of a break cue as I don't really have one cue that's dedicated to breaking only.

I'd like to keep this fairly simple as I don't need anything elaborate for a breaker. Points, inlays, etc, that's all not necessary. Plus I don't really want to spend a lot of $$$ on a breaker.

Recommendations?

r/DCP
Two suggestions ~
A - McDermott Lucky,then put a hard tip on it.(Comes with a hard LePro) about $50
B - If you really want to splurge,order a Schmelke Sneaky. About $100
Either will work just fine for a break cue !!!

DJ66
07-14-2016, 10:53 AM
I have been using a cuetec cue as a break cue. Hits great, doesn't warp, you can pick one up used super cheap ($25 on fleabay or pawn shop), and you don't have to worry about anyone walking off with it.

VIProfessor
07-14-2016, 11:20 AM
I just picked up a J&J j/break for $85 and it hits real solid. If you're trying not to spend much $ this may be your ticket.

RiverCity
07-14-2016, 11:39 AM
I just picked up a J&J j/break for $85 and it hits real solid. If you're trying not to spend much $ this may be your ticket.

Glad to see ya posting again Rudy! :grin:

J&J or Players either one is about as good as they get as far as bang for the buck is concerned.

VIProfessor
07-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Glad to see ya posting again Rudy! :grin:

J&J or Players either one is about as good as they get as far as bang for the buck is concerned.

My man! What's up bro? Good to be back, but honestly, it's a shame how things have changed. I used to really enjoy talking pool on this forum. Now I mostly lurk in order to stay away from the B.S. and the trolls.

RiverCity
07-14-2016, 12:02 PM
My man! What's up bro? Good to be back, but honestly, it's a shame how things have changed. I used to really enjoy talking pool on this forum. Now I mostly lurk in order to stay away from the B.S. and the trolls.

Same stuff different day, you know how it goes. :thumbup:

Agreed, its a different climate here for sure. Better in some respects, worse in others. Dont let the few ruin it for you though, the folks who are here, only to stir the pot, arent worth your time! ;)

sixwillwin
07-14-2016, 12:07 PM
J&J break cue. $90 from them and the same? on Ebay for $70

BRussell
07-14-2016, 12:09 PM
I doubt the brand matters as much as having 1) a hard tip - phenolic if you like it and your leagues or tournaments allow it, hard leather break tip otherwise - and 2) the right weight. Some people do better with a lighter break cue (e.g., 18 oz) and others with a heavier cue (e.g., 21 oz.).

Skratch
07-14-2016, 12:16 PM
OP,

I guess that would depend on a couple of factors and expectations. If you already have good breaking mechanics, then a good break cue would enhance or make easier your breaking. If you have bad mechanics, a $300 break cue will not solve your problem. Im going to assume that you have a decent break and just looking for something cheap to keep from using your player. I normally just come with my player and use a house cue to break with. If you want your own, then there are plenty of break cue options out there. I have a Jump/Break, with 2 shafts. One more geared for jumping, the other more for breaking. Didnt cost me that much, but I wasn't looking for expensive either. I sometimes use my cheap practice cue, ($50) and break/play with it. I dont care if something happens to that cue (broken, stolen,etc). As you can see, there are lots of ways to address your question. It all depends on what you're looking for. Good Luck.

DrCue'sProtege
07-14-2016, 12:37 PM
I think what I am looking for is not some cheap production break cue but something made by a cuemaker to my specs. Like I said, I don't want a bunch of inlays and points as this cue doesn't need to aesthetically pleasing. Along with a shaft around 13.5oz, a gradual taper, the weight around 18oz, and a medium to hard tip.

Any cuemakers out there come to mind?

r/DCP

RiverCity
07-14-2016, 12:39 PM
I think what I am looking for is not some cheap production break cue but something made by a cuemaker to my specs. Like I said, I don't want a bunch of inlays and points as this cue doesn't need to aesthetically pleasing. Along with a shaft around 13.5oz, a gradual taper, the weight around 18oz, and a medium to hard tip.

r/DCP

Why not get Joss's break cue?

Johnny Rosato
07-14-2016, 12:40 PM

r/DCP
Andy Gilbert J/B. Also plays GREAT !!!

tonythetiger583
07-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Honestly just stick a Hammerhead on a broomstick.

That thing is nuts.

StraightPoolIU
07-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Why not get Joss's break cue?

r/DCP

Joss makes a very good break cue in the Thor Hammer. I have one myself. Like you said not fancy, has a hard leather tip, nice taper. Since you've already dealt with Dan Janes on your playing cue I'm sure you could do the same for the break cue.

DrCue'sProtege
07-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Anybody know the shaft specs on the Joss Thor cue? I don't want no little flimsy 12.75 or 13.0 mm shaft. Needs to be at least 13.25 minimum, preferably 13.5. With the gradual taper, not that long pro taper.

r/Mike

barrymuch90
07-14-2016, 02:50 PM
I've broke with many diff cues and at one time used a 500$ bk2 but now I'm using an old playing cue. It's a joss with a 314-2 shaft and besides the taper I don't understand why people don't recommend low deflection shafts for breaking because when ur hitting it hard and using hip movement,wrist movement, and or body movement I find it difficult to hit exactly where I intend n obviously any English will deflect the cuenall away from desire contact but with the 314-2 I've been using I can hit about 80% power and break the balls super consistant my most likely due to the aid of the low deflection shaft. I havnt used a ld shaft for years but if u have access to one or an old or extra ld shaft try breaking with that because for me it has made my break entirely more consistant. I've been hitting the break so square n like I said with 80% power I don't sacrifice accuracy so I really believe the ld shaft has helped alot

billiardthought
07-14-2016, 02:54 PM

r/DCP

Put in an order for a plain break cue with Dennis Searing.

RiverCity
07-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Anybody know the shaft specs on the Joss Thor cue? I don't want no little flimsy 12.75 or 13.0 mm shaft. Needs to be at least 13.25 minimum, preferably 13.5. With the gradual taper, not that long pro taper.

r/Mike

Im sure Dan will make the shaft however you want it for free.

DrCue'sProtege
07-14-2016, 03:06 PM
Put in an order for a plain break cue with Dennis Searing.

Whats his website? I type in searingcues.com and get the forbidden error message.

NastyNate13
07-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Can't go wrong with a Schmelke. Planning on getting a bacote breaker through them with a Samsara tip, can't go wrong for ~$130.

gregnice37
07-14-2016, 03:23 PM
I dont think any custom break cue will be your best option. Plain jane customs usually run 400 & up. I just got an all cocobolo with no points for 575. Actually it was a b/j, but just for his break was 550, so 25 more for the 3 piece was worth it.

DrCue'sProtege
07-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Joss makes a very good break cue in the Thor Hammer. I have one myself. Like you said not fancy, has a hard leather tip, nice taper. Since you've already dealt with Dan Janes on your playing cue I'm sure you could do the same for the break cue.

The Joss Thor Hammer Ironwood cue arrives this Friday. 18.0 oz, 13.5mm, gradual taper, Water Buffalo tip. Dan says this cue is made specifically for the break shot. At least i'll have one cue dedicated to the break shot now.

r/Mike

StraightPoolIU
07-27-2016, 06:22 PM
The Joss Thor Hammer Ironwood cue arrives this Friday. 18.0 oz, 13.5mm, gradual taper, Water Buffalo tip. Dan says this cue is made specifically for the break shot. At least i'll have one cue dedicated to the break shot now.

r/Mike

It's a very good cue well suited to its purpose. I think you'll like it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cubswin
07-27-2016, 11:17 PM
Well don't break the cue when you start breaking dry or getting bad rolls.

poolguy4u
07-27-2016, 11:26 PM

r/Mike

:sorry:

Good luck! I've had both Joss break cues and I was not impressed.

And then to sell them to just break even took a while and I'm a dealer and pay wholesale.

:frown:

Jimbojim
07-28-2016, 06:42 AM
If phenolic tips aren't allowed where you play, I can recommend a Samsara break tip.

trfitters
07-28-2016, 08:04 AM
I've tried a bunch...Gilbert, Alex Brick, Schmelke, Treadway, etc

I bought a $45 Viking Valhalla and it does the job as good as anything. I'm ordering another one just to have an extra shaft. 18.5oz and put a Triangle tip on it. Perfect dedicated break cue.

Eric.
07-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Whats his website? I type in searingcues.com and get the forbidden error message.

ElfinMagicWands.com (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

Eric >never gets old