PDA

View Full Version : Alf Taylor and I together after a 52 year gap

BillPorter
07-14-2016, 12:22 PM
The year I should have been a college senior I laid out of school and played pool. All night, every night I was at Cotton Bowling Palace in Dallas, TX. Never a very good player, I returned to college and eventually became a college professor. During my year at Cotton Palace, I associated with some really interesting characters and had experiences I wouldn't trade for anything.

About 10 years ago I was given an email address for Alf Taylor, one of my good buddies from the 1963-1964 time period at Cotton Palace. When I emailed him, it started a back and forth communication that has lasted until the present. During those 10 years of emails, I helped Alf put together a book about his life on the road that many of you regulars here on AZ billiards have read. The book is The Other Side of the Road and is available at alftaylor.com.

A few weeks ago I traveled from my home near Cincinnati, OH to Arizona and made a special effort to get down to Tucson to see Alfie. We had not seen one another face-to-face for 52 years. He and his wife Judi were most gracious hosts and we talked together as though no time had past since we were last around one another. He has a table in his retail Moroccan rug store and we played a friendly game of One Pocket. My wife made a little video of the last 7 minutes of the game and I stuck it on YouTube.

I am a bit embarrassed by my terrible pool mechanics which involve jumping up on shots, twisting, and twitching. On one shot I didn't jump up because I never even got down on the shot before lunging at the cue ball. Somehow I won the game and suspect that Alf didn't play his A game out of friendship. Had we played 100 games, I might have won 20 of them.

Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcKEZOudPuA

michael4
07-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Nice story and good comments on the video. Too bad the camera wasnt higher.

Its all about friendship, you sir have your priorities in order....well done :thumbup::thumbup:

Johnnyt
07-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Very cool story and video. Good memories, I'm sure. Johnny