PDA

View Full Version : What's ths benefit of owning a cue stick vs using the ones at the bar

kora636
07-14-2016, 07:19 PM
I just started playing i see lots of players have their own stick, and they're really good, while I'm still trying to learn to control the cue ball, will having my own cue stick help my game?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

9Ballz
07-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Yes even a 50 dollar cue is better than a house cue.

Bavafongoul
07-14-2016, 08:29 PM
You could invest $200 for a cue & case and would truly enjoy the game so much more using your own equipment.

Skratch
07-14-2016, 08:29 PM
I just started playing i see lots of players have their own stick, and they're really good, while I'm still trying to learn to control the cue ball, will having my own cue stick help my game?

Yes. Consistent equipment feedback. House cues are awful! My first cue was $35. As I got better, I upgraded. You'll probably do the same.

WildWing
07-14-2016, 08:46 PM
You must be Justin, right?

cachiocca
07-14-2016, 09:10 PM
Get yourself a good-quality sneaky-pete with a quality tip. Like any other sport becoming accustomed to your own equipment, whether it be a baseball glove or a set of golf clubs, helps a lot.

However, an instructor/friend told me years ago that with proper shot selection you should be able to win consecutively with a house cue. There are times when it's not "appropriate" to bring in your own cue. This is another reason to consider a sneaky-pete.

kora636
07-14-2016, 09:31 PM
I don't get it

kora636
07-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Get yourself a good-quality sneaky-pete with a quality tip. Like any other sport becoming accustomed to your own equipment, whether it be a baseball glove or a set of golf clubs, helps a lot.

However, an instructor/friend told me years ago that with proper shot selection you should be able to win consecutively with a house cue. There are times when it's not "appropriate" to bring in your own cue. This is another reason to consider a sneaky-pete.
What do you mean its not appropriate? Is that the brand sneaky pete? Im new in this sport but im addicted to it already

justinb386
07-14-2016, 09:35 PM

No, because I would never ask that question, lol. No offense to the OP.

I do not know, but I am betting even some of the nicest pool rooms in the country have pretty lousy quality house cues. They do not make them like they used to (I do not think). The Valley Supreme house cues (from the 90's) played really nice (nice long taper, and very nice feedback). They were great quality house cues.

justinb386
07-14-2016, 09:43 PM

Yeah, bar drunks would sometimes give me a hard time for bringing in my own cue. Depending on the bar (and its crowd), I would not want to bring in my own cue. If you care about getting better at pool, then you should not be playing in dive bars. That is what really hurt my game, I think (but I had no other choice after my home town pool room ran out of business, the bars were my only option). You need good practice in a nice pool room, and playing against good serious players, and yeah, if you want to become a better pool player, then you need to buy your own cue. My 1st cue was a Players (they were and I bet still are) decent hitting cues. Mcdermott cues are really good solid players too. I also loved Meucci back in the 90's, when I was a kid, but my all time favorite cues were Joss (played my best pool with a Joss sneaky pete, as a young teenager).

kora636
07-14-2016, 09:45 PM
What do you gusy think of Player's cues, model g2252 or hxt15?

Thansk for your help I dearly appreciate

justinb386
07-14-2016, 09:53 PM
What do you mean its not appropriate? Is that the brand sneaky pete? Im new in this sport but im addicted to it already

Yeah, some types of bars (that are really dingy, and have a rough crowd), you really do not want to bring in your own cue, unless it is a cheap hustler sneaky (one that would appear to be a regular house cue). Like a Players sneaky. Here is a really nice looking one (in my opinion).

https://www.seyberts.com/players-exotic-series-cues/players-e5100-exotic-sneaky-pete/

kora636
07-14-2016, 09:54 PM
It's a good idea to start by reading instead of starting by posting. You won't catch any shit if you explore the forum and use the search function for questions you may have. There's years of knowledge here. A search for "sneaky Pete" will quickly inform you that sneaky Pete is a style of cue, not a brand. Otherwise you'll be asking questions that get asked time and again that people are tired of. This advice will keep you well above any comparisons to Justin or anyone else who asks everything that comes to their mind without bothering to see if it's already been answered many times.
I've did some research after i replied to you, i read about the sneaky pete, its not as flashy as the others, it can easily pass as a house cue if you dont pay attention, i learned about the difference between soft tip and a hard tip, the snoker cues and break/jump cues, im really sorry i sounded so stupid im to exited about learning more i let myself go [emoji20]

justinb386
07-14-2016, 09:58 PM
It's a good idea to start by reading instead of starting by posting. You won't catch any shit if you explore the forum and use the search function for questions you may have. There's years of knowledge here. A search for "sneaky Pete" will quickly inform you that sneaky Pete is a style of cue, not a brand. Otherwise you'll be asking questions that get asked time and again that people are tired of. This advice will keep you well above any comparisons to Justin or anyone else who asks everything that comes to their mind without bothering to see if it's already been answered many times.

Not to worry, you are pretty safe for at least a few years of posting. It took a long time before I started to get really annoying on here (I think). Or maybe I was annoying the entire time, and the guys on here just took it easy on me, until they just started getting really fed up with all of my questions. Everyone on here was pretty cool and nice for the most part, the 1st 4 or 5 years that I was a member. Some questions should really not be asked on here (I learned that the hard way). Just have to try to be careful about what you ask. They do not like stupid questions on this forum.

cachiocca
07-14-2016, 09:59 PM
You mentioned playing "at the bar" in the title of the thread.

Depending on the bar, there may be some ridicule or expectations towards one bringing in your own cue, especially a fancy cue with multiple veneers & inlays. A fancy cue may put some off if there's wagers involved, ie 3 ball or a run game of 9-ball.

Sneaky-pete is a 2-piece cue that looks like a house cue. Check the For Sale area. KRB offers unique conversions of old 1-piece house cues for a couple hundred. Then there's the old Brunswick Titleist conversions than can run into the thousand's.

For major brand names of a sneaky for a beginner I'd recommend looking at Joss, Jacoby, Viking, or Muecci or Players. Many of which can be upgraded with a better quality shaft later.

Good luck.

kora636
07-14-2016, 10:03 PM
Not to worry, you are pretty safe for at least a few years of posting. It took a long time before I started to get really annoying on here (I think). Or maybe I was annoying the entire time, and the guys on here just took it easy on me, until they just started getting really fed up with all of my questions. Everyone on here was pretty cool and nice for the most part, the 1st 4 or 5 years that I was a member.
Hehehe thanks i feel better now

PhilosopherKing
07-14-2016, 10:05 PM
I'll take a good house cue over any custom any day of the week.

justinb386
07-14-2016, 10:12 PM
I'll take a good house cue over any custom any day of the week.

You must be joking. There is no possible way that you could be serious. Here is another one of my stupid questions, but I am curious how often you find a pool hall that offers decent quality (straight) house cues, that have a nice long taper (like the old Valley Supreme house cues for example)? Most pool halls just offer junk house cues (that they never care to get repaired, and were never any good anyways, like big fat butts with very short horrible tapers for example, but a non pool player would not care about that anyways, I understand).

cachiocca
07-14-2016, 10:16 PM
The Search function sucks. But glad you where able to find the info you where looking for.

Not all small towns offer the privilege of a billiard room to practice in. Many players have to make do with what's available, and often that's a bar box at the local bar. After moving from a big city to a small mtn town, I'm grateful the local brewery added a bar box. That makes a total of 3 bar tables available within 50-miles. I play with my sneaky.

Ak Guy
07-15-2016, 12:09 AM
If you have your own cue and it is well maintained and has a good tip you should be able to practice and get better as you will be playing with the same equipment all the time.

But, a really good player can go into a pool hall and beat most of the players in there with a house cue if his skill level is much better then theirs.

Can't beat skill, but your own cue should improve your skill.

Dave-Kat
07-15-2016, 12:38 AM
Just get a Players or J&J Sneaky...better yet, drop the extra $30 and go to Schmelkecue.com and get a nice Rosewood Sneaky with a 3/8x10 Joint Pin. Nice quality USA made player.

You will not be disappointed:groucho:

-Kat,

Poolplaya9
07-15-2016, 02:20 AM
im really sorry i sounded so stupid im to exited about learning more i let myself go [emoji20]

You are brand new to the game of pool. You aren't supposed to know the answers to the questions you asked yet. You aren't supposed to be familiar with this forum and its peculiarities yet. You didn't do anything wrong. The way you learn is by asking questions just the same as most of us did while learning. It seems that some of us have forgotten that every single one of us was brand new to the game and knew absolutely nothing at one point. The only people out of line here IMO are the ones giving you a hard time for asking what are very legitimate questions from someone who is brand new to the game. Don't get discouraged, there are plenty who are willing to help and will offer advice. Welcome to the game of pool, and welcome to AzBilliards. You can learn a lot here.

To answer your question, yes, there is benefit to owning your own cue. All cues play a little different. The hit feels different, the shaft diameters and taper are different, the weight and balance are different, the tips are different, and many other things. Part of the benefit of owning your own cue is that you will always have the same weight, taper, balance, diameter, hit/feel, same shaft flexibility, and you can make sure you always keep a good tip on it, etc. Another benefit is that once you start to learn your preferences for all of these things, which will take some time (and may also change several times as your skill and experience increases), you can get a cue that fits your preferences for hit, taper, shaft flexibility, balance, weight, etc, etc. When you have a cue that is the same every time you play, and especially if you really like it and it suits your preferences, it can add consistency to your game and it also adds confidence because you are familiar with it like an old friend.

As far as what specific cue to get, for your first one just barely starting out I would keep it cheap, under $150 for sure, and you can even get some relatively decent ones for under $70. There is no need to spend more yet as you haven't yet developed the skill and experience and preferences to be able to appreciate any benefit from anything more expensive. I don't really know what all is out there in the entry level cue market but as others have pointed out Players and J&J are decent entry level cue brands that I am familiar with. There are others that are decent for entry level as well that I am forgetting about or am just not familiar with. Do NOT consider anything with a screw on or a slip on tip. That will be a waste of money. If you find some specific cues you are considering purchasing post some links to them and we can give you some idea if they are decent quality for the price for an entry level cue.

tonythetiger583
07-15-2016, 03:09 AM

I`d take the hxt15 over the g2252.

The HXT has slight low deflection characteristics. Maybe not even enough to really mention it, but it should come with a kamui soft tip, which is pretty much the best stock tip that any mass production cue has to offer.

I`m personally a really big fan of poison cues (exclusively the metal jointed ones).

My first cue was a 70$ (CAD) dufferin cue with a solid maple shaft and an Everest tip, and it was perfectly fine.

As for the sneaky petes, I owned a player`s sneaky pete, and it hit kinda meh. It was okay, but I really was just attracted to the idea of a sneaky pete. The actual cue wasn`t so great. Also I ended up selling both my sneaky pete player and jumper, because I constantly had to chase people down and convince them that that was MY bar cue, and that for some reason I needed two of them.

Tramp Steamer
07-15-2016, 03:49 AM
Buy yourself a cue and case that you can comfortably afford. Most pool rooms have a good selection of lower priced Asian cues of decent quality. Pick one out that looks good to you.
Now. Here's the best part. Learn to play One Pocket. Twenty years from now you'll thank me, and Grady, for the advice.
Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. Write if you get work. :smile:

Skratch
07-15-2016, 05:19 AM
You must be joking. There is no possible way that you could be serious. Here is another one of my stupid questions, but I am curious how often you find a pool hall that offers decent quality (straight) house cues, that have a nice long taper (like the old Valley Supreme house cues for example)? Most pool halls just offer junk house cues (that they never care to get repaired, and were never any good anyways, like big fat butts with very short horrible tapers for example, but a non pool player would not care about that anyways, I understand).

I have come across some great playing house cues. I try to put them aside with the owners, but you know they eventually get put back out. I know its a bit of an urban legend, but there are some out there. They exist! LOL. I've seen some that are purposefully marked. Sometimes others have burned them slightly with cigarettes marks. And If I see that on some, I tend to use them. It means someone else thought about marking it and playing with it again. All a gamble though.

Johnny Rosato
07-15-2016, 06:27 AM
you must be justin, right?
^^^^^ lol ^^^^^^^

Scott Lee
07-15-2016, 06:37 AM
I disagree that it's ever "inappropriate" to bring in your own cue. If it's a public place, I'll always be playing with my own cue.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

There are times when it's not "appropriate" to bring in your own cue. This is another reason to consider a sneaky-pete.

Scott Lee
07-15-2016, 06:42 AM
So you have the experience to make a boastful statement like this? I think not. I have visited and played in hundreds of pool halls, all over the country, and your statement doesn't come close to holding water. There are far more room owners who give a crap about their house cues, than ones that don't. Please stop making outlandish statements Justin, when you lack the experience to back it up. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Most pool halls just offer junk house cues (that they never care to get repaired, and were never any good anyways, like big fat butts with very short horrible tapers for example, but a non pool player would not care about that anyways, I understand).

daxe
07-15-2016, 06:57 AM
If it were not for bar cues most of us would have never took up the game we all love. I have to agree with Scott Lee there are more good than bad. If the room owner is a pool player most will have good house cues. DAN AXE

PhilosopherKing
07-15-2016, 07:26 AM

I've owned or played with everything under the sun. I have about a dozen cues right now, including a Southwest that people drool over... I play with house cues 99% of the time and I dream of old Hi-Run Dufferins.

BmoreMoney
07-15-2016, 08:34 AM
I don't get it

Are you a boy or a girl? Doesn't matter, just curious.

kora636
07-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Are you a boy or a girl? Doesn't matter, just curious.
Can't you tell from the picture

9Ballr
07-15-2016, 09:30 AM

For me: consistency.
That being said I LOVE hitting with a house cue.
Some really good cues worth a lot of money simply don't hit as good as a good house cue.
But having a consistent feedback day after day can greatly help you in your game.
Plus you don't have to walk all over the place finding a straight cue that's also in the weight range that you like and has a tip that's still leather-like....as opposed to glass.

PocketPooler
07-15-2016, 09:34 AM

Thats a great choice for a learning player. Really any cue with a good tip will make you more consistant. You are going to ding it up so don't waste lots of money on a real fancy one

dvs
07-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Hopefully you'll learn to love this game no matter how good you get or what cue you shoot with.

Simple answer, which almost everyone agrees with: YES, getting your own cue is the better way to go.

But, I also agree with Scott; a lot of halls have very decent cues; in fact, years ago I played in a place in Queens, the Golden Que on Queens Blvd. quite often and found a house cue I really liked; I stashed it under the table, on the opposite side of the bridge hooks in the back and would slyly retrieve it. It shot well, then one day it was gone. So I got my own cue, an old Rich cue when they were still made locally in long island. That was several decades and many cues ago.

Good luck to you

Dave

9Ballr
07-15-2016, 10:11 AM

I recently got this cue in 21 oz...it is.......one word......AWESOME.
I'm going to get more of them. One in 19 as well.

kora636
07-15-2016, 10:22 AM
Which one?

sixwillwin
07-15-2016, 10:40 AM
Between the 2, I would get the HXT15. BUT, for $90 to $120 you could get a Schmelke Cue. Made in Wisconsin and I believe a better cue. Choose all your options if you want, I would prob do a tip change at least unless you like a supersoft one piece Elkmaster.

bradsh98
07-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Of your two choices, I would recommend the HXT15. It has a Kamui tip, which is a better tip than a LePro. Also, the HXT15 has a low deflection ferrule, which should make it easier for you to learn the game.

Good luck.

BTW, where are you located?

pwd72s
07-15-2016, 10:59 AM
I've did some research after i replied to you, i read about the sneaky pete, its not as flashy as the others, it can easily pass as a house cue if you dont pay attention, i learned about the difference between soft tip and a hard tip, the snoker cues and break/jump cues, im really sorry i sounded so stupid im to exited about learning more i let myself go [emoji20]

Hey, it's all good. Like on any internet board, there are a variety of personalities here. I would suggest not going too expensive with your first cue. Therefore, the Schmelke advice was good advice. As you progress in your game, you'll gain more understanding of what your tastes in cures are. Schmelke is a good "bang for the buck" cue.

gregnice37
07-15-2016, 11:11 AM
If you go to the marketplace here on this site, i believe it brings you to seyberts online store. They are great to deal with & ship quickly. Im sure they will have some nice deals on a cue & case for very reasonable new cue. Good luck in your playing & learning.

Fyi, we arent seeing any picture under your name, so the guy that asked if you were male or female cant tell, lol.

deanoc
07-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Going against the stream

there may be no advantage what soever

I was a good friend of Tim Scruggs and he made some of the best hitting cues ever

he told me nothing played as good as a good ole 1 piece cue,said that he and other great cue makers were hoping to achieve the solid good hit of a house cue

my friend louie harper prefereed a house cue to using my palmer,balabushka or joss,and we won tons of money betting on louie

sometimes it is hard to get one that has a nice tip

i just bought 5 dufferin cues for my house and i love the play of them

call nsa fellow and buy one for under $50 find a tip you like,weight you like
sand the shaft till you like it and enjoy yourself

it is nice to get used to a cue and enjoy something you like,a 2 piece cue is easy to carry
n extra shaft can come in handy

if you notice almost every good player carries his own cue so there must be a reason

i always carried a cue i felt comfortable with,i guess i like to get used to a certain kinda play

there are times when you can not find a good house cue

9Ballr
07-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Which one?

Sorry I got sidetracked just as I was finishing the post.

This one:

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/players/players_s-pspr.htm

It's awesome and I love hitting with it.

slide13
07-15-2016, 02:55 PM
It definitely comes down to consistency. A good house cue can be a great playing cue but finding one on a regular basis is a sketchy proposition in most places. If you do happen to be blessed with a place that has an ample supply of quality house cues in good shape you still may not get one that plays the same every time. Different tips, weights, etc all come into play.

Beyond that, a house cue is typically a very stiff taper, butt heavy design with a 13mm shaft and some of poorly maintained tip. That is far from my personal preference so while I can grab a house cue and play, it definitely doesn't feel the way I like my cues to feel (forward balance, linen wrapped, 12mm shaft). So it can also be important to have your own cue so you have one that fits you personal preferences.

While there are always anecdotal tails about people who prefer to play with a house cue, and I've even on occasion seen someone walk in with their own 1-piece cue they brought with them, there is a good reason the huge majority of players have their own 2-piece cue that they can easily carry around.

Now, if I mostly played on a home table I'd love to have a 1-piece cue setup to my preferences and see how one can really play when it matches what I like in a cue. They definitely have a great feeling hit and I'm sure it'd be awesome.

kora636
07-15-2016, 02:56 PM
Of your two choices, I would recommend the HXT15. It has a Kamui tip, which is a better tip than a LePro. Also, the HXT15 has a low deflection ferrule, which should make it easier for you to learn the game.

Good luck.

BTW, where are you located?
California, costa mesa, I appreciate your help

Bob Jewett
07-15-2016, 05:00 PM
he told me nothing played as good as a good ole 1 piece cue ... sometimes it is hard to get one that has a nice tip
there are times when you can not find a good house cue
The last point is why you need to carry your own cue. There are lots of bars where all of the cues have those slip-on ferrules with the tips worn down to the plastic. I just gave a lesson in a rec room where none of the provided cues had tips -- people had been playing with them like that hitting with just the ferrule. It's hard to find good help.

Tramp Steamer
07-16-2016, 06:22 AM
The last point is why you need to carry your own cue. There are lots of bars where all of the cues have those slip-on ferrules with the tips worn down to the plastic. I just gave a lesson in a rec room where none of the provided cues had tips -- people had been playing with them like that hitting with just the ferrule. It's hard to find good help.

Tell me about. I've been looking all over for someone to push my wheelchair.
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find an eighteen year old female willing to do it. :thumbup:

MuchoBurrito
07-18-2016, 09:03 PM

I have been playing with a Players HXT15 for the last 12 months, it's my first cue, so I think I can actually be of help to you here.

Firstly, yes if you're remotely serious about becoming a better player you need your own playing cue (at a minimum, you will want to look into getting a break cue later on as well). If nothing else, your own cue will always be straight, and will be consistent from day to day (imagine playing golf with a different set of clubs each round... how consistent will your game ever be?)

Also you can get the weight and tip that suits you best, something you might not always get in a house cue. This says nothing of the lower deflection of even an entry level cue vs. a house cue, and the better quality tip you will have compared to most house cues.

About the Players HXT15, it's a good entry level cue. I have no complaints about mine at all, I highly recommend it as a great first cue. I'm going to be upgrading to a Predator very soon, but that's not a knock against the Players HXT15, it's just that my game is at a completely different level now than it was when I started a year ago, and it is time for an upgrade.

kora636
07-18-2016, 09:35 PM
I finally ordered a players sneaky pete http://www.ozonebilliards.com/plcuesp.html

Jimbojim
07-19-2016, 06:13 AM
put on a good quality tip on it and you're good to go until you want another cue :)

jasonlaus
07-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Tell me about. I've been looking all over for someone to push my wheelchair.
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find an eighteen year old female willing to do it. :thumbup:

Put her in your Will and I'm sure you can find one.........along with a very high hill to be "accidentally" pushed down:eek:

kora636
07-19-2016, 10:37 AM
put on a good quality tip on it and you're good to go until you want another cue :)
What would you recommend? I was thinking on trying with the one it comes with, if i didn't like that one then I'll go for a kamui medium

midstroke
07-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Nothing wrong with the Le Pro that comes with it. Use it up then put a better tip on.

slide13
07-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Good buy, solid cue for a good price. Stock tip should be fine if it's a Le Pro, just make sure it's well shaped and you'll be set.