PDA

View Full Version : 3 Cushion-Billiards

Pangit
07-15-2016, 05:54 AM
Never played it, never had the opportunity. But it sure looks like fun, and would teach you a thing two about cue ball control?

Why is the table heated, consistent roll...what Temp? Maybe that's why the masses don't play it?

I watch it on youtube all the time. My current favorite is Zanetti. That stroke works!

GoldCrown
07-15-2016, 05:58 AM
Never played it, never had the opportunity. But it sure looks like fun, and would teach you a thing two about cue ball control?

I'm going to take a lesson or two .....should help with 1pocket.

Skratch
07-15-2016, 06:28 AM

Why is the table heated, consistent roll...what Temp? Maybe that's why the masses don't play it?

I watch it on youtube all the time. My current favorite is Zanetti. That stroke works!

Its a great game. I highly recommend it. If you check the Carom Forum here in AZB, you can ask those questions there.

I believe the table is heated to keep the humidity from affecting the cloth. It will make the table slower. With most standard tables being 10'x5', there is a lot of table to travel in making 3C. As a starter, if you're already a decent shooter, you may want to try straight rail or 1C before you dive into 3C. 3C will help you with kicking and cueball control in the other disciplines of pocket billiards. It is not as popular a game as it should be. I think this is because the table is 10x5. Most halls today are moving to the bar boxes and larger tables are slowly disappearing. (at least what I've observed). smaller table, means more in a room, that leads to more people to pack a place, and more money. Business. My fav. 3C player is Federic Caudron.

The rules are simple for 3C are relatively simple. To make a point, you must contact a minimum of 3 rails before you contact the 2nd ball. If you watch the youtube video, this should become obvious. It gets a bit tricky when balls are very close to the rail, but the experienced players can tell if the requirements were met. If you have a place to play, by all means, give it a try and see if someone will help teach you. You might be asked to pay for table time or some cash, but to learn this game its worth it.

Good Luck and welcome to the world of Carom.

philly
07-15-2016, 06:50 AM
Great game. Many times I warm up for a half hour on a 3 cushion table before a match. It helps me see triangles and where I need to land the cue ball on the rail to get where I need to be. A good 3 cushion player plays a soft game, just enough speed to hit that last ball. The heat speeds the table up.

Bob Jewett
07-15-2016, 08:07 AM
I'm going to take a lesson or two .....should help with 1pocket.
For one pocket, learning how to play straight rail (no cushion required) will probably be more help, especially where you drive the first object ball the length of the table and back exactly, and barely touch the other ball.

I think of 3 cushion as more helpful for nine ball.

To see the kind of ball control required for the "small" games at carom billiards check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ5lwkVoNB8 -- in the game shown (called 18.1 in the US), as soon as the two balls are in the same area, one of them must be driven out, so there is a lot of precise driving and re-gathering.

Texas Carom Club
07-15-2016, 08:44 AM
18.1 huh, guess that's what 47cm translates to

18.5039 inchs actually

Texas Carom Club
07-15-2016, 08:46 AM
start with straight rail, youll find it much more challenging than you think

pt109
07-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Its a great game. I highly recommend it. If you check the Carom Forum here in AZB, you can ask those questions there.

I believe the table is heated to keep the humidity from affecting the cloth. It will make the table slower.
Good Luck and welcome to the world of Carom.

A heater will make the rails slower....it will make the bed faster.
Short, quick rails make a few shots hard to do, if not impossible...
...the cue ball doesn't get enough 'dwell' time on the rubber for the spin to grab.
When the rails are wet, the bed cloth loosens a bit, making it slower.

A tight, dry cloth makes the game marvelous to play...spin lasts longer, making shots
possible that you'll never see at pool or snooker.
Don Feeney timed a player in Toronto on a snooker table....shoot a stop shot with spin
and see how long whitey rotates....34 seconds on a 30 ounce cloth.....
....Don said a player at Chris' in Chicago does the same shot on a Verhoven...
.....it spun for three minutes.

Skratch
07-15-2016, 12:04 PM
A heater will make the rails slower....it will make the bed faster.
Short, quick rails make a few shots hard to do, if not impossible...
...the cue ball doesn't get enough 'dwell' time on the rubber for the spin to grab.
When the rails are wet, the bed cloth loosens a bit, making it slower.

A tight, dry cloth makes the game marvelous to play...spin lasts longer, making shots
possible that you'll never see at pool or snooker.
Don Feeney timed a player in Toronto on a snooker table....shoot a stop shot with spin
and see how long whitey rotates....34 seconds on a 30 ounce cloth.....
....Don said a player at Chris' in Chicago does the same shot on a Verhoven...
.....it spun for three minutes.

I agree. I see the ambiguity of my statement. I meant to say the heating will remove the humidity and make the table faster. Without it, the cold keeps the table damp and slow.

I can believe it! 3min doesnt seem impossible with the fast tables (3C) that I've played on. BTW: I love a fast table.