PDA

View Full Version : Question About APA Ranking/Match

WildHockeyAA
07-15-2016, 01:06 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first post and I figured I'd start it off with another question about the APA ranking system. Anyways, last match I was playing 9 ball and I am a 4. I played a 6 and lost by one point (or one damn ball). Will I still have the chance to move up in rank due to barely losing to a higher skill level :confused::confused: I know that somewhere I read that it is a possibility, but I can't find any further information so I figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks

ElLeon
07-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Welcome and congrats on your first post.

The APA is a mythical being with special secret formulas for their calculations. I've seen players lose matches with a 4-16 spread and go up in rank. I've beaten multiple 7's in a row and gone down a rank.

Long story short, just play your game and don't worry about what happens with the formula of your rank. It is based on over your last 20 matches anyway, so there isn't much you can do in a single game to affect that (unless you are highly detailed and keep statistics on all of your matches on a rolling 20-match basis with a firm grasp of the basics of their rank formula... But based on your post, you probably don't have this information at your fingertips).

You're playing in a bar league to have fun. Just go have fun and play your best. Don't worry about the ranks or BS.

WildHockeyAA
07-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Welcome and congrats on your first post.

The APA is a mythical being with special secret formulas for their calculations. I've seen players lose matches with a 4-16 spread and go up in rank. I've beaten multiple 7's in a row and gone down a rank.

Long story short, just play your game and don't worry about what happens with the formula of your rank. It is based on over your last 20 matches anyway, so there isn't much you can do in a single game to affect that (unless you are highly detailed and keep statistics on all of your matches on a rolling 20-match basis with a firm grasp of the basics of their rank formula... But based on your post, you probably don't have this information at your fingertips).

You're playing in a bar league to have fun. Just go have fun and play your best. Don't worry about the ranks or BS.

I appreciate it, and thank you! I have been bored as hell at work and thought I would ask.. thank you for the response!

drv4
07-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Yes you can go up. Generally in 9 ball take points made (so in your case 30) / (innings-defensive shots). Here in Austin I feel like most 4s average around 1.3-1.6 balls per inning. We play on 8 foot tables and many 4s take 20-25 innings to finish a match. What your opponent did doesn't have a ton of effect on your moving up or down I believe.

I had a buddy who early on lost 31-10 to a 4, my buddy was a 4, but it was in like 3 innings. The guy that won stayed a 4, and my buddy moved up to a 5.

Like the guy above said, just shoot and have fun, I enjoy my night in APA and it has made me get really into pool. The less you worry about your rank, the more fun you'll have.

jojopiff
07-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Yes it's possible. This is what I was told...

What happens is they take your last 20 matches So if u played a great match that's "falling off" and u just played ok but beat a 7 (for example) then it's very possible you don't go up. Conversely, if u have a terrible match falling off & you've lost your last 3 but been competitive it's very possible you will go up.

It's actually not the complex. Hope this helps & welcome aboard.