PDA

View Full Version : US Open 10-Ball & US Open 8-Ball

CSI Media
07-18-2016, 04:24 PM
If you can't be here for all the great matches and excitement at the 40th BCAPL National Championships, our live stream will bring the action directly to you! Watch the world's best players in action throughout the event! You'll find all the information you need about live streaming for the U.S. Open 10-Ball Championship, U.S. Open 8-Ball Championships, the Pick Your Poison Challenge, The Tiger Challenge, the O.B. Challenge and more here http://www.playcsipool.com/live-streaming.html

BeiberLvr
07-18-2016, 04:30 PM
Just a suggestion. On that page, you have pictures of the CSI Live Crew.

Captions under the pictures letting visitors know who's who would be a nice addition.

banditgrrr
07-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Any idea when the brackets will be posted? Only 36 hours until the event starts.

Johnnyt
07-18-2016, 05:09 PM
Any idea when the brackets will be posted? Only 36 hours until the event starts.

I agree. Like to know what players I'm going to get to watch. Player list so far? Johnnyt

BRussell
07-18-2016, 05:21 PM
Player list here, no brackets yet that I can see.

http://www.playcsipool.com/2016-us-open-championships.html

tduncan
07-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Only roughly 40 players? Am I reading that correct?

cardiac kid
07-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Only roughly 40 players? Am I reading that correct?

Yep. Last year there were 122 players in that event. The 8 ball has 40 signed up. Last year 81. Why? What are we (they) missing?

Lyn

gxman
07-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Yep. Last year there were 122 players in that event. The 8 ball has 40 signed up. Last year 81. Why? What are we (they) missing?

Lyn

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=430665

It seems like a lot of tournament fields are way down.

skip100
07-18-2016, 07:44 PM
It's been said already but it's bizarre to call an event a US Open when it's played on 7-foot tables.

cardiac kid
07-18-2016, 08:04 PM
It's been said already but it's bizarre to call an event a US Open when it's played on 7-foot tables.

Skip,

Agree it's a shame. However, I'd prefer to have a US Open 8 Ball on a bar box than no event at all. Not sure why CSI chose to change the format. What's done is done. Lets hope for a great event.

Lyn

WGDave
07-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Player list here, no brackets yet that I can see.

This must not be updated.

Know that John Morra will be there, and he is not on the list.

How many others are missing?

Alex P. has been in Cali for the last few weeks playing...he should be there.

Johnnyt
07-18-2016, 08:18 PM
The economy sucks and the dead money is getting smarter.

Ak147
07-18-2016, 08:54 PM

Thanks for killing the excitement :)

westcoast
07-18-2016, 09:30 PM
This must not be updated.

Know that John Morra will be there, and he is not on the list.

How many others are missing?

Alex P. has been in Cali for the last few weeks playing...he should be there.

I hope you are right. I already booked a room for 3 nights mainly to watch the 8 ball tourney. It would be a huge disappointment if the fields were that small

gxman
07-18-2016, 09:41 PM

Lyn

I dont know how much entry was last yr, but this year, its $350 each.

So maybe the dead money is laying low now.

DCC is about $120-160 depending on the game.

AtLarge
07-18-2016, 10:29 PM
... DCC is about $120-160 depending on the game.

DCC recently:

Banks -- $110 entry fee + $50 buy-In (optional)

One-Pocket -- $135 + $75

9-Ball -- $160 + $100

BmoreMoney
07-18-2016, 11:09 PM

Everyone's trying to stay off Fargo. Lol

fiftyyardline
07-19-2016, 12:33 AM
Watched very little of the Pro events last year because the table could not be seen without standing on the bleachers. Hope that is corrected this year.

Johnnyt
07-19-2016, 02:13 AM
DCC recently:

Banks -- $110 entry fee + $50 buy-In (optional)

One-Pocket -- $135 + $75

9-Ball -- $160 + $100

What is the difference in pay-outs. Johnnyt

9andout
07-19-2016, 02:32 AM

Don't believe the hype.

gxman
07-19-2016, 03:42 AM
What is the difference in pay-outs. Johnnyt

DCC 2016:
9b 16K 1st
1p 12K
9b banks 10K
Master of Table 20K

US Open 2015
10b 10K
8b 11K

Fields for DCC is 300+ in all events.

asbani
07-19-2016, 03:46 AM

Wait what??? 7ft table? I'm glad I read all comments before purchasing, I almost hit the buy button, glad I didn't. there's noway I'm going to watch 7ft table.

Actually people wondering why US players playing worst than EU's and keep losing, and I know you might not believe me because you have different mindset and ideas, but this is exactly why, bar tables are killing the US players, not only that, it's killing the game as awhole, I don't know who invented it, but it is literally killing the players skill, and the game.

Fields are smaller and smaller because pool brings no money, its simple, you got 1% chance of winning, everybody can run out, you go to a new state, live in a hotel, and you don't know if you can win or even if a C player will knock you out in 2nd round, it's the truth, in pool anybody can win, which is exactly why you will see a new name winning a tournament, and it keep happening, there's no domination in the game, like the old days where you will see the same 5 players names in the last 8 of a tournament every time!!!, now it's different, I wonder why that is, but it is true, and don't tell me that now everybody is skillful, it's not true.

BeiberLvr
07-19-2016, 04:02 AM
Wait what??? 7ft table? I'm glad I read all comments before purchasing, I almost hit the buy button, glad I didn't. there's noway I'm going to watch 7ft table.

Actually people wondering why US players playing worst than EU's and keep losing, and I know you might not believe me because you have different mindset and ideas, but this is exactly why, bar tables are killing the US players, not only that, it's killing the game as awhole, I don't know who invented it, but it is literally killing the players skill, and the game.

Fields are smaller and smaller because pool brings no money, its simple, you got 1% chance of winning, everybody can run out, you go to a new state, live in a hotel, and you don't know if you can win or even if a C player will knock you out in 2nd round, it's the truth, in pool anybody can win, which is exactly why you will see a new name winning a tournament, and it keep happening, there's no domination in the game, like the old days where you will see the same 5 players names in the last 8 of a tournament every time!!!, now it's different, I wonder why that is, but it is true, and don't tell me that now everybody is skillful, it's not true.

I hate 7' tables (for professionals) just as much, and do think they are hurting pool.

But to say that players don't dominate is ignorance at it's best. The top players are always at the top. The winners might change, but the overall group stays the same. And the players are more skilled (as a collective group), which is the main reason you don't see one player winning every single event.

As far as anyone being able to win. True to an extent. I could get lucky and beat SVB in the US Open in one match, but I'm never winning the entire tournament. If you disagree, then find me one example in the last 5 years of an unknown winning a major event.

asbani
07-19-2016, 04:08 AM
I hate 7' tables (for professionals) just as much, and do think they are hurting pool.

But to say that players don't dominate is ignorance at it's best. The top players are always at the top. The winners might change, but the overall group stays the same. And the players are more skilled (as a collective group), which is the main reason you don't see one player winning every single event.

As far as anyone being able to win. True to an extent. I could get lucky and beat SVB in the US Open in one match, but I'm never winning the entire tournament. If you disagree, then find me one example in the last 5 years of an unknown winning a major event.

I wouldn't say "an uknown" because he would be known for his specific city/region maybe, but here's what I will tell you, outside of the US. check for yourself then come back to me, check the Last five 9ball world championships, then also check the last five 8ball world championchips, regardless of country, i think the last 2 were in Qatar and UAE, but before that they were held in the philipines and before that they were held in europe for couple of years, check infact the last 10 years, and see who won, you will find out that a different player is winning the tournament, and there never a repeat, always another player who wins, regardless if known or unknown, but it's a new or another name every single time.

now if you go and see tennis grand-slam tournament, you will keep seeing the same 3-4 players in the semi-final, every friggin time, and I mean everytime it's either roger federer, murray, djokovic, or one of the high ranked young players like Milos or Roinic.

Anyway i'm giving you an example of the world major tournaments in tennis which are named "Grand slam" and how the players keep repeating, but in pool, as I said, go look for the two biggest tournaments which are 9ball WORLD Championships, find out the last 10 winners, another name, everytime.

us820
07-19-2016, 04:39 AM
Because tennis is so much longer a test than pool.Apples and oranges.

robsnotes4u
07-19-2016, 05:12 AM

Aren't the tournaments you are speaking of pool play then Single Elimination?

At that level of play a single elimination makes it much harder to repeat let alone win. Upsets can't be overcome in Single elimination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeiberLvr
07-19-2016, 05:14 AM
I wouldn't say "an uknown" because he would be known for his specific city/region maybe, but here's what I will tell you, outside of the US. check for yourself then come back to me, check the Last five 9ball world championships, then also check the last five 8ball world championchips, regardless of country, i think the last 2 were in Qatar and UAE, but before that they were held in the philipines and before that they were held in europe for couple of years, check infact the last 10 years, and see who won, you will find out that a different player is winning the tournament, and there never a repeat, always another player who wins, regardless if known or unknown, but it's a new or another name every single time.

now if you go and see tennis grand-slam tournament, you will keep seeing the same 3-4 players in the semi-final, every friggin time, and I mean everytime it's either roger federer, murray, djokovic, or one of the high ranked young players like Milos or Roinic.

Anyway i'm giving you an example of the world major tournaments in tennis which are named "Grand slam" and how the players keep repeating, but in pool, as I said, go look for the two biggest tournaments which are 9ball WORLD Championships, find out the last 10 winners, another name, everytime.

It's not just the players it's also the game.

If you play short race 9 ball, of course you're going to get different winners every year.

cardiac kid
07-19-2016, 06:12 AM
Hey Guys,

Made a big error. The numbers I posted were for the Challenge events not the US Open events, My apologies. The correct numbers are 10 ball 77 players and 8 ball 87 players. Still significant drops. Should be great events with all the big guys already on the left coast.

Lyn

westcoast
07-19-2016, 07:06 AM

I agree that the tournaments should mostly be played on a 9 footer (however, for 8 ball I think a bar table might be just as well).

However, I think that it is highly unlikely for a C player to beat a true professional player in a race to 9 or 10 even on a 7 footer. Usually the top pros still end up in the top 4 at the end- for example, last year Hohmann won the 10 ball and Orcullo won the 8 ball

skip100
07-19-2016, 07:45 AM
Hey Guys,

Made a big error. The numbers I posted were for the Challenge events not the US Open events, My apologies. The correct numbers are 10 ball 77 players and 8 ball 87 players. Still significant drops. Should be great events with all the big guys already on the left coast.

Lyn
That's good (or at least better) to hear.

fastone371
07-19-2016, 08:09 AM

I dont think the pros playing on bar boxes really hurts their game at all. Im sure the majority of their practice time is spent on 9' tables. I play on bar boxes because thats all we have up here. I have a 9' table at home. I find it much, much more difficult to ease up on my stroke speed for a bar box than to pick up my speed for the 9' table. Thats about the only difference I really notice switching between 7' & 9' tables. Its not like they are playing a different game on 7' tables, maybe you have an extra cluster on a 7' table playing 8 ball but just as likely you dont have any tied up balls unless you are rearranging the table every time you shoot. The biggest difference I see between 7' and 9' 8 ball is they dont seem to control the cue ball very good on the break on 9' tables, like they are going for break speed rather than cue ball control. If they can park the cue ball breaking on a 7' table Im sure they can do it on a9' table also. When I first started playing a few years ago and bought my Gold Crown I thought I made a huge mistake getting such a big table, after a couple years there only seems to be about a 6" difference between a 7' and 9' table now, to me they are both just normal pool tables, it all just boils down to how familiar you get with them. When people play on my 9' table they joke that they need binoculars to see the other end of the table, but they dont spend enough time on a big table to get familiar with the size.

Joe_Jaguar
07-19-2016, 08:13 AM

Then a month later you have the US Bar Table Championships being held in Vegas too :confused:

Johnnyt
07-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Ralf Souquet, Niels Feijen, Nikos Ekonomopolous, Mika Immonen, Jayson Shaw and more are at theGB9...so that hurts a bit too. Johnnyt

StuartTKelley
07-19-2016, 09:24 AM
I personally love watching the pro's play on the 7' Diamonds since that's what I play on a lot. It inspires me to play better for sure. I love the breaks and the run out's. Awesome to watch in my opinion.

Bella Don't Cry
07-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Ralf Souquet, Niels Feijen, Nikos Ekonomopolous, Mika Immonen, Jayson Shaw and more are at theGB9...so that hurts a bit too. Johnnyt

It says a lot about the state of pool in USA when the top Euro players are opting to play in a British event rather than one in Vegas :thumbup:

Cameron Smith
07-19-2016, 09:44 AM
It's not just the players it's also the game.

If you play short race 9 ball, of course you're going to get different winners every year.

Agreed, and 8 ball is similar as well. If we shift our gaze to 14.1 we see more consistency in the winners. It's a much smaller winners circle in each of the bigger events. One pocket is similar as well.

Snooker is also similar, especially for the world championships. It's not hard to predict at least 2 of the 4 semi-finalists each year.

If we are going to play 9/10 ball, in a perfect world I'd like to see races to 20 on 9 foot tables. I know it won't happen, at least not regularly.

Wheels33
07-19-2016, 09:45 AM

Even with seeding in tennis, there are big upsets every tournament. It's rare to see the number 1 and 2 seed both make it to the finals.

But I'd like to see seeding in pool now that fargo ratings are available.....I hate seeing two monster players going against each other in the first round because they drew numbers.

Wheels33
07-19-2016, 09:57 AM
I personally love watching the pro's play on the 7' Diamonds since that's what I play on a lot. It inspires me to play better for sure. I love the breaks and the run out's. Awesome to watch in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of alternate breaks..... far too often, the winner of the match ends up being the one who won the lag to start the match.

The break and run outs would be more fun if they had winner break....then see if a guy could put together an 11 game package and keep the other guy in the seat the whole match.....that I'd like to see.

AtLarge
07-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Hey Guys,

Lyn

Lyn -- The "Current Entries" at the bottom of this page -- http://www.playcsipool.com/2016-us-open-championships.html -- currently show 40 for 10-Ball and 46 for 8-Ball. Is that not the right place to look?

GideonF
07-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Agreed, and 8 ball is similar as well. If we shift our gaze to 14.1 we see more consistency in the winners. It's a much smaller winners circle in each of the bigger events. One pocket is similar as well.

Snooker is also similar, especially for the world championships. It's not hard to predict at least 2 of the 4 semi-finalists each year.

If we are going to play 9/10 ball, in a perfect world I'd like to see races to 20 on 9 foot tables. I know it won't happen, at least not regularly.

A format that leads to the very best players being almost guaranteed to win is fine in a sport where the money is coming from sponsors/media. In pool, most of the money for the prize pool comes from the players, so races that are short enough to let a lot of players have a chance at a deep run are key to getting participation among the pro players. It probably also helps to get the amateurs to play as well, although some of them will know they are dead money and step up anyway just for the experience.

GideonF
07-19-2016, 10:21 AM
It says a lot about the state of pool in USA when the top Euro players are opting to play in a British event rather than one in Vegas :thumbup:

I'm not sure what it says. The UK Open is a Mosconi Cup Euro points event, has free entry for members of their tour and a guaranteed 2,500 pound first prize. Unless you add a ton of added money (like the US Open 9b), it is hard to imagine why any sane Euro pro would fly all the way over hear to compete in the US Open 10 and 8 ball.

http://www.gb9balltour.com/news/the-2016-uk-open

This is not a knock against CSI, who are putting time and money into promoting these events.

Straightpool_99
07-19-2016, 10:32 AM

This is all true! Not popular around this forum, but true none the less.

I don't even understand how this could even happen? I thought for sure some poolroom would want to have their own US Open on proper tables (9 foot)? Oh, right the name..How about The North American Open? It wouldn't have the money or the field, but at least it would be a proper POOL tournament, not whatever this is! This is like having the olympic 100 meter sprint on a 25 m track!

I have no idea who would pay money to watch someone play on 7 foot tables, and I'm not sure I want to know! You literally could not pay me to watch this! I did in fact try, at one point to sit through a match, but it is simply impossible! An hour of professionals bunting balls around on kiddie tables, I can't belive ANYONE could take this seriously! Even looking at a still frame, the table looks completely ridiculous!

I can't believe there are no pool purists left in North America!? These people claim to be "saving" the sport, but what they have in fact done is completely changed it, and IMO turned it into crap! What's next, 5 foot tables? 5 drink minimum? Maybe pool is better off as a true amateur sport, rather than becoming something completely different and inferior. Thank God allmighty that snooker is being run by Brits. They may have their quirks, but at least this kind of thing would NEVER EVER fly there!

s0lidz
07-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Personally I like the Diamond 7' tournaments...especially 8-ball. I'm amazed at some of the situations the pros run out from. Breaking up multiple clusters and navigating through traffic. It a nice change of pace. Apparently my opinion is not a popular one.

StuartTKelley
07-19-2016, 11:04 AM
I'm not a fan of alternate breaks..... far too often, the winner of the match ends up being the one who won the lag to start the match.

The break and run outs would be more fun if they had winner break....then see if a guy could put together an 11 game package and keep the other guy in the seat the whole match.....that I'd like to see.

I agree about the alternate break. If you don't win the lag you have to hope for some kind of turn over by your opponent and you can't afford to make any mistakes.

Mark Griffin
07-19-2016, 11:16 AM
All your comments are welcome- but so many of the statements and assumptions assumptions are wrong.

Every year this is discussed. It is totally impractical to hold 9' events. The table transportation and light hanging costs far exceed $1,000 per table. The PPV for 9' tables is less than 7' tables.

The majority of our league members play on 7' tables - and they relate better to $' play.

If we don't get support from the players, the events might go away. That would be a shame because we want to provide events for the very best players. Last week there was a $10,000 added event, $125 entry in a great room. Only 43 players.

It seems to me the better players (pros) are just not going to events. And we are adding $15,000 for each event. That is out of our pocket!!!!!

Just quit blaming the lack of 9' events on CSI. We do more than anyone else- and we still have to react to the market. Pool stil needs some sponsors!

Mark Griffin

westcoast
07-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Personally I like the Diamond 7' tournaments...especially 8-ball. I'm amazed at some of the situations the pros run out from. Breaking up multiple clusters and navigating through traffic. It a nice change of pace. Apparently my opinion is not a popular one.

I agree that it is more interesting to see pros play 8 ball on 7 footers. It is amazing the type of break outs they are able to accomplish

Johnnyt
07-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Why do these world tournaments HAVE to be played in a casino and tables brought in for union workers to install lights and stuff? A large poolroom or sports bar already has tables installed and ready to go. Also no need to stretch these tournaments out over 4-6 days for more PPV and a bigger gate. That's one reason the same old farts go to them. Working people can't take that kind of time off work. There are plenty of nice poolroom venues around...use them. Johnnyt

robsnotes4u
07-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Why do these world tournaments HAVE to be played in a casino and tables brought in for union workers to install lights and stuff? A large poolroom or sports bar already has tables installed and ready to go. Also no need to stretch these tournaments out over 4-6 days for more PPV and a bigger gate. That's one reason the same old farts go to them. Working people can't take that kind of time off work. There are plenty of nice poolroom venues around...use them. Johnnyt

Can you name a pool room that could handle the tournament, has the hotel rooms close, and is easy to fly into?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wheels33
07-19-2016, 12:07 PM
I agree that it is more interesting to see pros play 8 ball on 7 footers. It is amazing the type of break outs they are able to accomplish

I agree.....I think 8 ball should be played on a 7 footer, it makes it a tougher game.

But I've had pro players tell me that 9 or 10 ball on a 7 footer is a complete joke for them.

Johnnyt
07-19-2016, 12:11 PM
Can you name a pool room that could handle the tournament, has the hotel rooms close, and is easy to fly into?

Finding a nice room for 100 players or so isn't that hard if you get the hell out of Vegas. While your at it get rid of the promoters and let a good TD and the poolroom run it. There is no money or big fan following in pool, so why not get rid of the middle man? Johnnyt

BRussell
07-19-2016, 12:11 PM
I have no idea who would pay money to watch someone play on 7 foot tables, and I'm not sure I want to know! You literally could not pay me to watch this! I did in fact try, at one point to sit through a match, but it is simply impossible! An hour of professionals bunting balls around on kiddie tables, I can't belive ANYONE could take this seriously! Even looking at a still frame, the table looks completely ridiculous!

I also would prefer pro events all be on 9' tables (and let's be honest, the 7' tables are actually 6'8" of playing area), but I'll let you in on a little secret: the vast majority of pool players in the US play on 7-footers, including the majority of league players there in Vegas. I totally understand why someone would want to watch matches played on familiar equipment. Not sure why that would be so hard to understand.

Proofsc
07-19-2016, 12:18 PM
If people didn't know this event is run in conjunction with the BCA National tournament for Amatuers. It is also played on 7ft tables so people can enter and not only play with pros but feel like they might be able to put up a slight challenge. The main purpose of these events is to help grow the sport, I would love for them to be on 9ft but all you would get is the pros and rail birds watching if it was at a pool room.

watchez
07-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Finding a nice room for 100 players or so isn't that hard if you get the hell out of Vegas. While your at it get rid of the promoters and let a good TD and the poolroom run it. There is no money or big fan following in pool, so why not get rid of the middle man? Johnnyt

middle man? do you even have any understanding of why the BCAPL or CSI events would take place in a casino/large hotel as opposed to a pool room?

Some pool room gonna add $30,000? If you can explain how they would come close to getting even on that added money, the world is listening.

Cameron Smith
07-19-2016, 12:27 PM
A format that leads to the very best players being almost guaranteed to win is fine in a sport where the money is coming from sponsors/media. In pool, most of the money for the prize pool comes from the players, so races that are short enough to let a lot of players have a chance at a deep run are key to getting participation among the pro players. It probably also helps to get the amateurs to play as well, although some of them will know they are dead money and step up anyway just for the experience.

I understand what you mean, if people are going to pay the entry fee they will want a chance at a return or at least win a match or two.

But in non-handicapped events I don't think B and A players win against pros anyways. And even low level pros are beaten pretty handily it seems by the world beaters. And that is with short races.

I know there has been a few long race events, but I think the entry fee has been pretty high at something like $1000.

Perhaps a mix of events would be preferable and leave the long races for majors.

justadub
07-19-2016, 12:33 PM
middle man? do you even have any understanding of why the BCAPL or CSI events would take place in a casino/large hotel as opposed to a pool room?

Some pool room gonna add $30,000? If you can explain how they would come close to getting even on that added money, the world is listening.

It's magic. That's how. Simply magic..... Mark doesn't have anything to do with this stuff actually getting done....

Sigh..... Good luck, Mark. Rooting for your events to be a success.

Bella Don't Cry
07-19-2016, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure what it says. The UK Open is a Mosconi Cup Euro points event, has free entry for members of their tour and a guaranteed 2,500 pound first prize. Unless you add a ton of added money (like the US Open 9b), it is hard to imagine why any sane Euro pro would fly all the way over hear to compete in the US Open 10 and 8 ball.

http://www.gb9balltour.com/news/the-2016-uk-open

This is not a knock against CSI, who are putting time and money into promoting these events.

Fair points made... :thumb:
With MC points being made available far and wide around Europe and not just on the Euro Tour certainly brings added value to events like GB9. More and more Euro players will attend such events now rather than travel further afield, which is a blow for other international events. I guess that's what I was trying to say... :thumbup:

saint1
07-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Mark, Please check your email and or PM box when and if you are able.

Bella Don't Cry
07-19-2016, 01:20 PM
All your comments are welcome- but so many of the statements and assumptions assumptions are wrong.

Every year this is discussed. It is totally impractical to hold 9' events. The table transportation and light hanging costs far exceed $1,000 per table. The PPV for 9' tables is less than 7' tables.

The majority of our league members play on 7' tables - and they relate better to $' play.

If we don't get support from the players, the events might go away. That would be a shame because we want to provide events for the very best players. Last week there was a $10,000 added event, $125 entry in a great room. Only 43 players.

It seems to me the better players (pros) are just not going to events. And we are adding $15,000 for each event. That is out of our pocket!!!!!

Just quit blaming the lack of 9' events on CSI. We do more than anyone else- and we still have to react to the market. Pool stil needs some sponsors!

Mark Griffin

Moon On A Stick is what many players are wanting.
IMO promoters need to keep to 'their' action plan that is beneficial to the game of pool, rather than cater to a few minority aficionados... :thumbup:

BRussell
07-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Here's what Darren Appleton said on Facebook:
No Vegas for me this year for bca ... Too close to world 9ball champs.. So bad preparation to play Bar box tables then few days later big table with 10 hr time zone difference ...

For me it's all about the Major World events so didn't want to risk it.. Instead I give myself the best preparation possible for the world championships

Sad to miss it though, first time I've missed it since taking up American pool in 2006 . If was big table I be playing and I'm sure many many top players missing also.. Shame[emoji22]..

Good luck to everyone making the trip always a fun week [emoji106]

westcoast
07-19-2016, 01:39 PM
Mika also said that was why he decided not to play- the 7 footer

gxman
07-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Seems like Hunter Lombardo shows up to a lot of the international events.

CSI Media
07-19-2016, 04:14 PM
Entries are being accepted for the US Open 10-Ball Championship until 8 p.m. this evening (Tuesday), so the brackets won't be posted until sometime after that.

AtLarge
07-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Lyn -- The "Current Entries" at the bottom of this page -- http://www.playcsipool.com/2016-us-open-championships.html -- currently show 40 for 10-Ball and 46 for 8-Ball. Is that not the right place to look?

Now showing 49 for 10-Ball and 51 for 8-Ball.

gxman
07-19-2016, 10:59 PM
Still seems like a tough field. Would've been much tougher if Darren and Dennis entered.

I like Shane or Alex.

Maybe Corey to win the 8b.

westcoast
07-20-2016, 12:12 AM
If John morra can carry his momentum from the hard times 10 ball, I wouldn't be surprised to see him win

BmoreMoney
07-20-2016, 12:28 AM
This is all true! Not popular around this forum, but true none the less.

I don't even understand how this could even happen? I thought for sure some poolroom would want to have their own US Open on proper tables (9 foot)? Oh, right the name..How about The North American Open? It wouldn't have the money or the field, but at least it would be a proper POOL tournament, not whatever this is! This is like having the olympic 100 meter sprint on a 25 m track!

I can't believe there are no pool purists left in North America!? These people claim to be "saving" the sport, but what they have in fact done is completely changed it, and IMO turned it into crap! What's next, 5 foot tables? 5 drink minimum? Maybe pool is better off as a true amateur sport, rather than becoming something completely different and inferior. Thank God allmighty that snooker is being run by Brits. They may have their quirks, but at least this kind of thing would NEVER EVER fly there!

Listen, I'm a 9 footer guy as well and I really can't stand 8 ball either ( playing nor watching ). However, I do think it's cool when we have a variety of games, tables, and rules for the pros to compete on / with. Makes it a little more interesting, at least for myself. From a marketing viewpoint it is very smart too. Who is pro pool marketed to? Well the amateurs of course! We all know most leaguers and amateurs are scared to death of a full size. So they can probably relate way way better when they see the pros playing on a BB and playing 8 ball. They may see them and think, man that could be me lol. Sounds kinda like a joke but I'm being absolutely serious on this. I think we all know the true test is and always will be on a full size but I see nothing wrong with throwing in some BB play here and there. .

From CSI's viewpoint - I don't imagine Mark makes truckloads of cash from the pro events he puts on as compared to what he does with leagues. I think all of the events Mark puts on are great, but once again I believe league is where the money is at. So with that being said I think it's extremely smart to put on events that are specifically geared toward league players essentially. Not to mention the costs Mark stated about the costs just to be able to use the 9'ers. A STACK PER TABLE!!!!! I think any and all prize $$$ would go by by. Anyhow Mark, thank you for all the time and effort and money you put in to make these events even possible!!!!

gxman
07-20-2016, 05:44 AM
I think this event with the US Open 9b will be critical on who gets on the MC team.

Skylar is the wildcard if its Rodney, Oscar, and Dechaine with SVB getting an auto-bid(if shane isnt top 3).

BRussell
07-20-2016, 07:28 AM
I think this event with the US Open 9b will be critical on who gets on the MC team.

Skylar is the wildcard if its Rodney, Oscar, and Dechaine with SVB getting an auto-bid(if shane isnt top 3).

These events are level 3 in the Mosconi point system, so not many points. Us Open 9-ball, or placing in the World 9-ball, that's where the points really are.

watchez
07-20-2016, 07:46 AM
If anyone sees the brackets posted, please let me know. Thanks

BRussell
07-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Brackets are here: http://www.ctsondemand.com

AtLarge
07-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Now showing 49 for 10-Ball and 51 for 8-Ball.

Looks like the final count, just before kickoff, is 52 for 10-Ball.

watchez
07-20-2016, 10:04 AM
Brackets are here: http://www.ctsondemand.com

Thanks ---

Ozzy asked me before when I stated the website was not user friendly. This is one example of what I am talking about.

http://www.playcsipool.com/2016-us-open-championships.html Main page for the tournament. No link to the brackets and no instructions on how to find them.

BRussell
07-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks ---

Ozzy asked me before when I stated the website was not user friendly. This is one example of what I am talking about.

http://www.playcsipool.com/2016-us-open-championships.html Main page for the tournament. No link to the brackets and no instructions on how to find them.

Right - I only found it because there is a link for the amateur events, and the first part of the url is ctsondemand, so I tried that. In fairness it's probably only been up for an hour or two, so hopefully they'll get a link soon.

BRussell
07-20-2016, 10:44 AM
In other news, Mike Dechaine played Danny Smith in the first round. Danny was playing perfectly and Mike had a couple of bad rolls - not having a shot after the break, etc., and Danny got up 7-1. Mike broke in game 9, had an easy open shot after the break, shot quickly and missed, and then forfeited before sitting back down.

JoeyA
07-20-2016, 12:25 PM
Yep. Payouts are always enhanced by added money, but it is the participants who usually make the biggest contribution which is why I have always encouraged paying deep into the field, at least 25%. Unfortunately, this gets shot down by some who believe differently, but I still stick by my statement that, more people will play in pool tournaments if you pay deeper. Sure, you're going to get some caterwauling from the best players and those who think they have a shot at the first, second & third place money. The complainers usually say that they would rather have a "decent" payday or nothing at all.

If 7 foot tables become the norm for pool tournaments, then it is quite possible that eventually there will be GREATER PARTICIPATION rather than fewer, as soon as the "dead money" realizes they aren't so dead and that they are appreciated. And don't let those middle of the road bums think they can get a whiff at the first, second and third place money.

It might not happen this year, but IF more top players opt for other events where larger tables are present, lesser players will realize that they have a better chance to get to the feed trough at the 7 foot events.

Personally, I don't blame the better players for wanting to play on the larger tables. Larger tables mean greater difficulty which means advantage better players. I sure wish there was more money in pool than there is.

Unfortunately for the top players, the economy of 7 foot tables makes more sense to the promoters and that's why you continue to see more and more 7 foot table tournaments.

It will be interesting to see if the tournament promoters move back toward the larger tables or opt to stay with the smaller tables.

It will be interesting to see if the top players who are opting to not play on 7 foot tables, continue to avoid tournaments on the smaller tables.

I'm not sure but I think the top players will realize that if it's about the money, then they will still be earning the lion's share of the purses even on the 7 foot tables.

EXCITEMENT is what good tournament promoters want and need. As I was writing this I was just wondering if the CSI events are alternate break or winner break?

If more added money came from sponsors outside of the industry, then the tournament promoters might not have to shoulder so much of the financial responsibility for holding these events. Until then, as you suggested, I think we may be stuck with smaller tables.

JoeyA

AtLarge
07-20-2016, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=JoeyA;5613225]... As I was writing this I was just wondering if the CSI events are alternate break or winner break? .../QUOTE]

Alternating breaks

UGETTHE6
07-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Should have S. Wilkie v D. Smith on next! would have been a better match than Corey and Ernesto

s0lidz
07-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Should have S. Wilkie v D. Smith on next! would have been a better match than Corey and Ernesto

There has been several stream-worthy matches that would have been better than what we got so far. Schmidt vs Thorsten and Morra vs Deuel off the top of my head. Its probably tough to handle the logistics of it all though. And to be fair, its a very subjective thing.

UGETTHE6
07-20-2016, 02:39 PM
PS. TO who ever commentated the Oscar Donnie Match, that isn't a predator logo Oscar had on his shirt, it is a Tiger Products logo!

UGETTHE6
07-20-2016, 02:41 PM
There has been several stream-worthy matches that would have been better than what we got so far. Schmidt vs Thorsten and Morra vs Deuel off the top of my head. Its probably tough to handle the logistics of it all though. And to be fair, its a very subjective thing.

I agree! This is a tough tournament, with some amazing world class players!

StraightPoolIU
07-20-2016, 04:57 PM
In other news, Mike Dechaine played Danny Smith in the first round. Danny was playing perfectly and Mike had a couple of bad rolls - not having a shot after the break, etc., and Danny got up 7-1. Mike broke in game 9, had an easy open shot after the break, shot quickly and missed, and then forfeited before sitting back down.
Mike posted on Facebook that due to his forfeit he will no longer be playing in his scheduled challenge match.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Johnnyt
07-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Mike posted on Facebook that due to his forfeit he will no longer be playing in his scheduled challenge match.

I hope that's because CSI pulled him from the match. I hope Mike Wilson is watching this. Johnnyt

molinatx4206
07-20-2016, 05:49 PM
I hope that's because CSI pulled him from the match. I hope Mike Wilson is watching this. Johnnyt

Thats exactly what happened

BeiberLvr
07-20-2016, 07:11 PM
If true, props to CSI for doing the right thing.

Someone needs to hold players accountable for their actions.

Colormegone2002
07-20-2016, 07:13 PM
I'm sure there will be lots of great matches through out the next week. I'd love
to be able to support CSI but unfortunately the cost is a little more than I want
to pay.
I will be trying to keep up with all the news,reports and brackets. And good luck
to everyone who's there playing.

If last weekend was any indication, John M will be a tough one to beat.

I'm gonna hold out and try to watch Corey's challenge match. Should be a great show

Thanks to CSI for being able to put all this together

gxman
07-21-2016, 05:30 AM
Looks like final 4 on the winners side is..

SVB vs Skylar Woodward
Rodney vs John Morra

barrymuch90
07-21-2016, 06:26 AM
Can someone post a link for the bracket please

robsnotes4u
07-21-2016, 06:31 AM
http://www.ctsondemand.com/mobilebracketviewer.aspx?BracketID=058b5a3d-0d0d-4398-aa4e-9a56afe1c0d4

barrymuch90
07-21-2016, 06:33 AM
Thanks I just read a few pages back n it was posted but thank u kind sir

westcoast
07-21-2016, 07:06 AM
I'm planning on attending the 8 ball event. Is it possible to see the matches without buying VIP seats?

Cornerman
07-21-2016, 07:35 AM
Ended last night with two great matches:

klatt over Bergman in a hill-hill thriller.

Billy Thorpe with an epic come back over Thorsten, 10-8 after being down 8-3. Who says you can't come back being down by several games in an alternating break format?

More great pool to come today!

Freddie <~~~ won't say it again

StraightPoolIU
07-21-2016, 09:49 AM
Ended last night with two great matches:

klatt over Bergman in a hill-hill thriller.

Billy Thorpe with an epic come back over Thorsten, 10-8 after being down 8-3. Who says you can't come back being down by several games in an alternating break format?

More great pool to come today!

Freddie <~~~ won't say it again
I read about that Thorpe comeback on Facebook when Billy posted about it. That is downright incredible.

Scoutcartel
07-21-2016, 06:59 PM

I hope they plug Morris in place of Mike. Thats just piss poor sportsmanship. If Billy can come back from 8-3 down then why canyt Mike give it his all. He dont think, its one game at a time. Stratergery if the balls are not in your favor.

Also i have searched and can not find the brackets. I found the 2013 ones easy buy nothing for 2016. Anyone have a link or info on why they are not up?

I wish they had multiple stream tables cammed up so that they could pick the table with the most interesting match ups for live stream or the people who bought stream could vote when they say okay on Table 1 is Morris vs Schmidt, Table 2 is Bergmann vs Alex, and Table 3 is SVB vs Hohmann. Play starts in 1 hour. what do you want to see? Setup the facebook poll. Then play accordingly. And add to that that they could do a one match stream price of $5 and that gets you a temp password good for that match only. They might make more money because people will buy in on high interest matches, and they will buy in if they know they have free time for the next 2 hours only but not the rest of the day. CSI makes money then off someone who would have not bought the stream package at all.

My .02 cents worth.

StraightPoolIU
07-21-2016, 07:03 PM
I heard from a pretty good source that Mike was feeling quite ill during the match. If that's the case there may be some gray area here. Also I think it's somewhat ironic that they would replace Mike with Rodney given that he was banned for a short time a couple of years ago. I think it's fine just funny.

robsnotes4u
07-21-2016, 07:05 PM
I hope they plug Morris in place of Mike. Thats just piss poor sportsmanship. If Billy can come back from 8-3 down then why canyt Mike give it his all. He dont think, its one game at a time. Stratergery if the balls are not in your favor.

Also i have searched and can not find the brackets. I found the 2013 ones easy buy nothing for 2016. Anyone have a link or info on why they are not up?

I wish they had multiple stream tables cammed up so that they could pick the table with the most interesting match ups for live stream or the people who bought stream could vote when they say okay on Table 1 is Morris vs Schmidt, Table 2 is Bergmann vs Alex, and Table 3 is SVB vs Hohmann. Play starts in 1 hour. what do you want to see? Setup the facebook poll. Then play accordingly. And add to that that they could do a one match stream price of $5 and that gets you a temp password good for that match only. They might make more money because people will buy in on high interest matches, and they will buy in if they know they have free time for the next 2 hours only but not the rest of the day. CSI makes money then off someone who would have not bought the stream package at all.

My .02 cents worth.

http://www.ctsondemand.com/mobilebracketviewer.aspx?BracketID=058b5a3d-0d0d-4398-aa4e-9a56afe1c0d4

BRussell
07-21-2016, 07:16 PM
Rodney was down 6-2 and came back against SVB to win 10-7. Lowest Rodney can get now is 2nd. Wouldn't surprise me to see Rodney v. SVB again in the finals.

robsnotes4u
07-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Guess everyone doesn't break and run all the time on the easy 7 footers

one stroke
07-21-2016, 07:37 PM
I heard from a pretty good source that Mike was feeling quite ill during the match. If that's the case there may be some gray area here. Also I think it's somewhat ironic that they would replace Mike with Rodney given that he was banned for a short time a couple of years ago. I think it's fine just funny.

Maybe CSI is getting tips from the NFL

BeiberLvr
07-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Guess everyone doesn't break and run all the time on the easy 7 footers

Doesn't mean it's not boring to watch.

Doesn't mean it's not easier for a pro in comparison to a 9' or bigger.

BRussell
07-21-2016, 08:21 PM
They don't miss often, that's for sure, but there have been some great matches. It's all about the opening: do they have a shot after the break, what happens with the push out, who wins the initial safety battle. But once that's over they're almost always out, more often than a 9-foot game, I think.

BeiberLvr
07-21-2016, 08:52 PM
They don't miss often, that's for sure, but there have been some great matches. It's all about the opening: do they have a shot after the break, what happens with the push out, who wins the initial safety battle. But once that's over they're almost always out, more often than a 9-foot game, I think.

I haven't watched, nor will I, but I'm assuming this is probably correct.

The whole sarcastic remark about there not being a ton of break and runs on the 7' is a red herring.

You see, whether the game is played on 7' tables or 10' tables, there is still an element of luck to the break. In order to break and run, you must make a ball and get shape on the lowest ball. Shocking...I know.

The real statistic to look at would be the percentage a player runs out when he has an open shot. More importantly, to only look at the top players, say the top 20 Fargo rated players.

StraightPoolIU
07-21-2016, 08:58 PM
Doesn't mean it's not boring to watch.

Doesn't mean it's not easier for a pro in comparison to a 9' or bigger.
Agreed. The individual matches may be quite competitive and the cream may rise to the top, but I also watch pool for the shot making, strategy, and power game. All of those aspects are diminished on the smaller table.

GideonF
07-21-2016, 08:59 PM
I haven't watched, nor will I, but I'm assuming this is probably correct.

The whole sarcastic remark about there not being a ton of break and runs on the 7' is a red herring.

You see, whether the game is played on 7' tables or 10' tables, there is still an element of luck to the break. In order to break and run, you must make a ball and get shape on the lowest ball. Shocking...I know.

The real statistic to look at would be the percentage a player runs out when he has an open shot. More importantly, to only look at the top players, say the top 20 Fargo rated players.

If only someone kept track of stats like that ... some forum member at large.

robsnotes4u
07-21-2016, 09:01 PM
If only someone kept track of stats like that ... some forum member at large.

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/break.html#statistics

Mark Griffin
07-21-2016, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure what you are saying, could you please explain?

Mark Griffin

Maybe CSI is getting tips from the NFL

gxman
07-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Anymore updates? Tia

nicksaint26
07-22-2016, 10:53 AM
5-4 Morra up

BRussell
07-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Morra over Geronimo 10-8, up against Sky Woodward next, SVB waiting for the winner of that, and Rodney Morris waiting for the finals.

barrymuch90
07-22-2016, 02:09 PM
They should offer the finals only on ppv

molinatx4206
07-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Anyone want John over Shane ?

gxman
07-22-2016, 08:15 PM
Anymore updates? Tia

BRussell
07-22-2016, 08:32 PM
Shane won, I believe 13-8.

AtLarge
07-22-2016, 10:02 PM
Some stats for the 10-Ball event can now be found here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=431599

gxman
07-23-2016, 11:01 AM
Finals yet?

westcoast
07-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Finals yet?

Finals happened yesterday- SVB won

AtLarge
07-23-2016, 12:23 PM
Finals happened yesterday- SVB won

But SVB lost his first match in the 8-Ball to Taylor Anderson. SVB has a long way to go to win that event now!

molinatx4206
07-23-2016, 02:13 PM
2nd round happen yet?

westcoast
07-23-2016, 02:16 PM
2nd round happen yet?

8 ball started today and goes through Monday

AtLarge
07-23-2016, 02:28 PM
2nd round happen yet?

SVB won his first match on the losers' side. Here is the bracket, showing the times (in Las Vegas) of all future matches: http://www.ctsondemand.com/mobilebracketviewer.aspx?BracketID=96297573-4557-4202-aa9e-673386246898

spartan
07-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Anyone know who will be playing in 8 ball challenge 29-30 July? Also these are on 9 foot like previous pro invitationals?
Going to watch SVB v Thorsten and Buste v Rodney
Thanks in advance

http://www.playcsipool.com/live-streaming.html

July 26 (Tue)
​9-Ball Challenge & ​Pick Your Poison Challenge:
​S. Van Boening vs T. Hohmann (8-ball, race to 21)
​10:30am - 5pm
5pm - 8pm

July 27 (Wed)
​10-Ball Challenge & ​Tiger Challenge:
​Francisco Bustamante vs Rodney Morris (10-ball, race to 21)
​​10:30am - 5pm
5pm - 8pm

​​July 28 (Thu)
​10-Ball Challenge & ​OB Challenge:
​Justin Bergman vs Corey Deuel (8-ball, race to 21)
​10:30am - 5pm
5pm - 8pm

July 29 (Fri)
8-Ball Challenge
10:30am - 9pm

July 30 (Sat)
8-Ball Challenge
10:30am - 9pm

AtLarge
07-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Anyone know who will be playing in 8 ball challenge 29-30 July? Also these are on 9 foot like previous pro invitationals? ,,,

From what I can tell, the 8-, 9-, and 10-Ball Challenges are races to 7 on 7-foot tables and open to anyone (i.e., not at all like the past pro invitationals on 9-footers).

The entry lists can be found at the bottom of this page: http://www.playcsipool.com/2016-bcapl-national-championships.html