PDA

View Full Version : John Morra

trophycue
07-19-2016, 06:57 AM
Great win for John, beating a monster field in LA at hardtimes. Finding it curious that AZ does have any report on this .

westcoast
07-19-2016, 07:11 AM
John Morra is a very solid pro. He can beat anybody at any time and is a threat to win any tournament he enters. He is very fundamentally sound. Has a textbook stroke- follows through and stays down on every shot. He really came through in the clutch against Bustamante in the finals with some great safety play and he hit a tough shot after winning the safety battle.

Icon of Sin
07-19-2016, 07:15 AM
Great win for John, beating a monster field in LA at hardtimes. Finding it curious that AZ does have any report on this .

I watched that tourney all weekend. Great coverage and a great event to watch. Glad John snapped it off. I'm hoping they upload the matches. The Semi final with Bustamante and Pagulayan and the final with Busty and John were two incredible matches.

skip100
07-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Morra reminds me of Rory McIlroy. When he's on he looks like he will never miss. But when he's off, with that long, fluid stroke it can get much uglier than for someone with tighter mechanics.

It was great to watch him this weekend.

molinatx4206
07-19-2016, 07:52 AM

Monster field?? Way weaker compared to past years but solid win for John.

GideonF
07-19-2016, 08:15 AM
I watched that tourney all weekend. Great coverage and a great event to watch. Glad John snapped it off. I'm hoping they upload the matches. The Semi final with Bustamante and Pagulayan and the final with Busty and John were two incredible matches.

Here is the final from 8-8. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MxqP2FHi_Kg

alstl
07-19-2016, 08:32 AM
It was a solid win. The safety battle with Bustamante hill/hill was one of the best I've seen.

SSach
07-19-2016, 08:43 AM
Let me start off by saying I respect John Morra's game. I like his demeanor when he is playing and his no give up attitude even when he is behind in a set.

I would enjoy seeing him play Skylar Woodward or Justin Bergman. Not sure if they ever matched up in a long set. If so what was the outcome? All of these guys have a similar style and attitude. One thing is for sure, it would make for some great pool (10 ball of course).

SS

Majic
07-19-2016, 08:58 AM

why is it curious?

somebody has to report on it for it to become a story.

watchez
07-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Let me start off by saying I respect John Morra's game. I like his demeanor when he is playing and his no give up attitude even when he is behind in a set.

I would enjoy seeing him play Skylar Woodward or Justin Bergman. Not sure if they ever matched up in a long set. If so what was the outcome? All of these guys have a similar style and attitude. One thing is for sure, it would make for some great pool (10 ball of course).

SS

Bergman and Morra played a race to 100, 10 ball in March 2008 on TAR. Bergman won in a landslide. John was very young and inexperienced in gambling for any big money. You can use the search feature hear and read more about the match. Since that time they seem to be wanting to play just can't come to an agreement on where the match should take place. Last I heard on it, Morra feels that since he came to Justin last time (they played in Olathe Kansas and Justin lives outside of St Louis, about 4 hours from Olathe), Morra feels they should play in Toronto.

Wheels33
07-19-2016, 10:02 AM

Morra is really stepping up his game......he's going to be winning a lot of major tournaments in the next few years.

9andout
07-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Always slow to report on the "news" page. Pretty bad.
My wife and I spoke to John at the bar during the Open last yr.
Nice guy.
Feel bad about how pissed I get when he's on the stream. Lol
Plays too slow and robotic for me.

Dave-Kat
07-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Great Hill Hill Final and battle. Morra was playing like a cyborg. Thanks to Daniel and crew @ POV for another excellent stream.

Have a good day:groucho:

-Kat,

LHP5
07-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Morra reminds me of Rory McIlroy. When he's on he looks like he will never miss. But when he's off, with that long, fluid stroke it can get much uglier than for someone with tighter mechanics.

It was great to watch him this weekend.

Wouldn't really say John Morra has a fluid stroke. A bit robotic and textbook. Very slow and methodical in the backstroke and follow through. He's probably the most fundamentally solid player out of the 30 and younger pro set.

Not saying it's a bad thing cause solid beats spectacular.

us820
07-19-2016, 10:53 AM
It was a solid win. The safety battle with Bustamante hill/hill was one of the best I've seen.

Right and yes.Kid plays lights out.

Gary G
07-19-2016, 04:14 PM
These two have been battling back n
forth since they where 13/14 years old.
I remember watching them play in the
finals of junior nationals about 10 yrs
ago n Justin won , i took my son there.
IMO i give the edge to Justin but on any
given day as great as they both play either
can win a set or two. I'll be waiting for
the announcement of a great battle to come. :grin-square:

GaryB
07-19-2016, 09:50 PM
John's mechanics were flawless and they never wavered under immense pressure. If robotic is nailing each shot with almost perfect position all weekend then it is something that we all should aspire to be.

SPF'ers should all be proud.

By the way, Dave Hemmah's commentary was spot on. He was the house pro at Hard Times for quite a few years. Great guy who really knows the game.

Props to POV Pool for 3 great weeks of free pool.

westcoast
07-19-2016, 09:51 PM
John's mechanics were flawless and they never wavered under immense pressure. If robotic is nailing each shot with almost perfect position all weekend then it is something that we all should aspire to be.

SPF'ers should all be proud.

By the way, Dave Hemmah's commentary was spot on. He was the house pro at Hard Times for quite a few years. Great guy who really knows the game.

Props to POV Pool for 3 great weeks of free pool.

I agree about Dave Hemmah's commentary- top notch. I wish he did more commentary

arps
07-20-2016, 04:13 PM
i hope he does well in W9B.