PDA

View Full Version : 9-ball Ghost

ChicagoRJ
07-21-2016, 05:43 AM
Starting to play more 9-ball. It certainly is a lot more fun to practice. I've never played 9 ball leagues, and only played in two 9 ball tournaments ever. Finished in the money both times, but just figured I got lucky, as I just don't play it.

So, I tried the 9 ball ghost for the first time. Won 4 games out of 10, on a 9 foot Brunswick, with 4.75 pockets. Yeah, it's my table, it's not tight, but they are not buckets as balls do "hang up" if you don't hit it right ;)

So, I"m assuming you need 6 games to "beat" the ghost. But man, the clusters, or the ball that has only one pocket, but the ball before it is froze to the other end to the head rail, makes some of these really difficult, do or die situations.

So, I'm going to play "safeties" on certain shots, and if I can hide the "ghost" completely, and Ghost has to kick at the ball, then the game continues. If I don't hook him, I LOSE.

I will shoot as the ghost to kick at it. If "Ghost" misses, then I get BIH, if Ghost hits it, I play the cue ball where it lands. If the Ghost kicks and "hooks" me, then game is over, Ghost wins.

I get 1/4 point for each successful kick performed as the Ghost, thus I could add up to 1 game with 4 good kicks as the Ghost.

I get to play 5 safeties per match (10 games) I can use all 5 in one game if want, but then I'm out the rest of the match.

Anyone ever play it like this before ? Just too many games I know I would not go for the run out, but what choice do I have, the ghost is staring at me and chuckling to "just shoot it" cause he's gonna win if I don't ;)

Ok, not perfect, but anything we add, subtract or do differently to make this more fun, more "real world" type of practice ??

Yeah, I know, there have been lots of threads about the Ghost, and not sure if this was addressed, but it would take me all day to go through them all....

philly
07-21-2016, 06:43 AM
I love 9 ball. I find the best practice for me at my level is the 6 ball ghost. Most of the time when you get to the table there are 6 or fewer balls left and practicing the 6 ball ghost gives you confidence in finishing off the run. I throw 6 balls out and give myself ball in hand with a fairly challenging shot on the first ball. Works for me. Love 9 ball.

iusedtoberich
07-21-2016, 07:03 AM
Join the ghost sticky thread in the main forum and put up your scores:)

Your way of keeping score is more of an overall practice strategy, imo.
The standard way of playing is only a measure of raw offense.

drv4
07-21-2016, 07:05 AM
I do the same thing as you. Mainly because my safety game was so weak. It has definitely improved from this practice. I also get kicking practice in and have gotten so much better at kicking safe doing this method of playing the ghost. Keep shooting well!

Keith Jawahir
07-21-2016, 09:40 AM
I do offense only, and I'm about 50/50 with the 5-ball ghost. I've tried incorporating safety play into it, but it devolves into me chasing balls around the table and wastes too much time.

Suggestion: instead of just throwing balls out on the table, use it as an opportunity to practice your racking and breaking skills. You wouldn't believe how useful it is when you start playing in rack-your-own tournaments.

pt109
07-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Leave it up to RJ to make a game with the ghost.
...look, RJ, the ghost never misses, no negotiating.

If you miss, you lose

philly
07-21-2016, 10:14 AM

If you miss, you lose

True. The ghost is the best there is and ever will be.

Straightpool_99
07-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Starting to play more 9-ball. It certainly is a lot more fun to practice. I've never played 9 ball leagues, and only played in two 9 ball tournaments ever. Finished in the money both times, but just figured I got lucky, as I just don't play it.

So, I tried the 9 ball ghost for the first time. Won 4 games out of 10, on a 9 foot Brunswick, with 4.75 pockets. Yeah, it's my table, it's not tight, but they are not buckets as balls do "hang up" if you don't hit it right ;)

So, I"m assuming you need 6 games to "beat" the ghost. But man, the clusters, or the ball that has only one pocket, but the ball before it is froze to the other end to the head rail, makes some of these really difficult, do or die situations.

So, I'm going to play "safeties" on certain shots, and if I can hide the "ghost" completely, and Ghost has to kick at the ball, then the game continues. If I don't hook him, I LOSE.

I will shoot as the ghost to kick at it. If "Ghost" misses, then I get BIH, if Ghost hits it, I play the cue ball where it lands. If the Ghost kicks and "hooks" me, then game is over, Ghost wins.

I get 1/4 point for each successful kick performed as the Ghost, thus I could add up to 1 game with 4 good kicks as the Ghost.

I get to play 5 safeties per match (10 games) I can use all 5 in one game if want, but then I'm out the rest of the match.

Anyone ever play it like this before ? Just too many games I know I would not go for the run out, but what choice do I have, the ghost is staring at me and chuckling to "just shoot it" cause he's gonna win if I don't ;)

Ok, not perfect, but anything we add, subtract or do differently to make this more fun, more "real world" type of practice ??

Yeah, I know, there have been lots of threads about the Ghost, and not sure if this was addressed, but it would take me all day to go through them all....

I usually like training drills etc. but I don't particularly like this one. The reason why the ghost is such a strong training tool is the sheer unforgiving brutality of the excercise. When you remove this, you lose some of the pressure that is constantly on you while playing the ghost, and this is what is happening with your excercise. It's not a bad way to practice, but IMO it's inferior to playing the ghost.

I've been having trouble with pressure in tournaments, and to help with that, I've made my ghost sessions even more brutal. Every time I miss, I have to sit down for 5 minutes, and I lose 3 games instead of one. Suddenly the 9 ball ghost is a formidable opponent again! By that I mean that I lose a lot of the time. Obviously I spend more time at the pool hall than maybe some of you, so I can understand why this would not be practical for some, but I have to tell you: The 5 minute wait is a powerful motivator, and it really helps to simulate the tournament pressure. It's a nice way to work on this problem when a sparring partner is not available.

WGDave
07-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Me thinks you need to get some decent chalk :D

ChicagoRJ
07-21-2016, 10:34 AM

If you miss, you lose

LOL. Hey, you gotta at least ask for a ball or two, nobody is just gonna give it to ya ;)

ChicagoRJ
07-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Me thinks you need to get some decent chalk :D

LOL. Hey, I won 4 games without chalking ;)

pt109
07-21-2016, 10:54 AM
LOL. Hey, you gotta at least ask for a ball or two, nobody is just gonna give it to ya ;)

You get ball in hand after the break......THAT'S all you get.

...and if the ghost sharks you....see a sports psychologist.

ChicagoRJ
07-21-2016, 11:02 AM
You get ball in hand after the break......THAT'S all you get.

...and if the ghost sharks you....see a sports psychologist.

No. No Sir. THat is not all you get. Depends on your Ghost. Some are nicer than others ;)

pt109
07-21-2016, 11:05 AM
No. No Sir. THat is not all you get. Depends on your Ghost. Some are nicer than others ;)

Okay....there might be some truth to that....some are quite helpful...

ChicagoRJ
07-21-2016, 11:13 AM
I usually like training drills etc. but I don't particularly like this one. The reason why the ghost is such a strong training tool is the sheer unforgiving brutality of the excercise. When you remove this, you lose some of the pressure that is constantly on you while playing the ghost, and this is what is happening with your excercise. It's not a bad way to practice, but IMO it's inferior to playing the ghost.

I've been having trouble with pressure in tournaments, and to help with that, I've made my ghost sessions even more brutal. Every time I miss, I have to sit down for 5 minutes, and I lose 3 games instead of one. Suddenly the 9 ball ghost is a formidable opponent again! By that I mean that I lose a lot of the time. Obviously I spend more time at the pool hall than maybe some of you, so I can understand why this would not be practical for some, but I have to tell you: The 5 minute wait is a powerful motivator, and it really helps to simulate the tournament pressure. It's a nice way to work on this problem when a sparring partner is not available.

OK, fair enough. But how about every other game, you can use one safety. THus, you still get the "brutality" to get your mind right, but also, learn how to play down to the problem ball, and lay down a "purty" safety that even a Ghost will like ;)

ShortBusRuss
07-22-2016, 05:20 AM
OK, fair enough. But how about every other game, you can use one safety. THus, you still get the "brutality" to get your mind right, but also, learn how to play down to the problem ball, and lay down a "purty" safety that even a Ghost will like ;)

Nope. If you get down against the ghost 4-0, then you have to shoot your way out of it. Concentrate... Etc.

Much as when you play a good pro/shortstop level player, EVERY mistake will be punished when you play the ghost. Anything else is simply fooling yourself.

Playing the ghost is designed to get you to the point where you are simply overpowering opponents who miss shots. When you get to THAT point... THEN you can start practicing safeties.

Short Bus Russ

VIProfessor
07-22-2016, 05:49 AM
Russ, my man! Good to see you bro! How've you been?

And I agree...playing the ghost is about offense. Find a way to break up those clusters, and if you have too many of them, that's a sign to work on your break.

ShortBusRuss
07-22-2016, 07:06 AM
Russ, my man! Good to see you bro! How've you been?

And I agree...playing the ghost is about offense. Find a way to break up those clusters, and if you have too many of them, that's a sign to work on your break.

Living the life here in Wiesbaden, Germany.. About to head down to City Billards to practice for a potential regional event tomorrow.

Short Bus Russ

VIProfessor
07-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Living the life here in Wiesbaden, Germany.. About to head down to City Billards to practice for a potential regional event tomorrow.

Short Bus Russ

Alright!! :thumbup: Good luck, and stay down!

MuchoBurrito
07-24-2016, 11:50 AM
True. The ghost is the best there is and ever will be.

Alcano says he used to race the ghost to 15 in 15 ball rotation, and win as often as he lost. #FML.

ShortBusRuss
07-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Alright!! :thumbup: Good luck, and stay down!

I played a regional event here in Wiesbaden this weekend... Format as follows, all on 9 footers:

First group stage- Round robin race to 5, 9 ball.

Top two from each group of 6 advance to next stage.

Second group stage- Round robin race to 4 in 8 ball

Top 4 from each group of six advance to the next round.

Final stage is a single elimination knockout, race to 5 in 10 ball.

I dabbed it a little. Made it through the first stage as leader in my group. Second stage I was second in my group. Got tired at the end of the day and lost a really really bad match first round of the knockout.

I really need to start working out again, lose some weight. I felt like crap all day, and just ground it out. Ahealthier would have cut through a few more people.. :-)

Short Bus Russ

pt109
07-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Soooo....I asked a German player to play some nein ball.....
....so he assumed I didn't want to play anything...

:duck:

caff3in3
07-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Soooo....I asked a German player to play some nein ball.....
....so he assumed I didn't want to play anything...

:duck:
Oh dear

Almost as bad as my favorite groaner

Why didn't the lobster like to share?

Because he was shellfish

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

sixpack
07-24-2016, 03:00 PM
When I had a home table and practiced against the ghost I incorporated kicking as well because I wanted to work on my safety and kicking game. I did it a little differently though.

I kept score and if I played a safe I lost on the 'win'. But then I would play a safety and the ghost had THREE tries to kick at it. If the ghost hit it, I played from there and if I ran out it was a split or 'sorta win' and it went into a different column. If the ghost didn't hit, I took BIH and ran out, if I ran out it was a split or sorta win as well. Both of those ALSO counted as a loss.

I could only do that once a game. If I had to play a second safe it was a total loss.

So my chalk board looked like this:

Game Ghost RC Sorta
---------------------------------------------
1 W L 1
2 L W -
3 W L 0

Then when I was done I had my record against the ghost (Ws), I knew how many games I would have won against a mortal (Ws + 1s) and I got to practice 3 kicks every time I played safe, which gave me a much higher threshold for playing a successful safe. Playing like this really upped my kicking and safety game.

I also played the 8-ball ghost this way sometimes. That is really and interesting thing to do.

ChicagoRJ
07-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Nope. If you get down against the ghost 4-0, then you have to shoot your way out of it. Concentrate... Etc.

Much as when you play a good pro/shortstop level player, EVERY mistake will be punished when you play the ghost. Anything else is simply fooling yourself.

Playing the ghost is designed to get you to the point where you are simply overpowering opponents who miss shots. When you get to THAT point... THEN you can start practicing safeties.

Short Bus Russ

Yeah, I'll do it damn it ;)

See ya next year, should be in Germany at end of July, if everything there settles down a bit as well ;)