PDA

View Full Version : Congats To Rodney Morris in HOF

Johnnyt
07-21-2016, 06:22 AM
http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/12787-morris-calhoun-elected-to-billiard-congress-of-america-hall-of-fame/

I see no need to write why he missed 4 years of pool. He's paid that in full...leave it alone. Johnnyt

billiardthought
07-21-2016, 06:30 AM
Congrats to the Rocket on this accomplishment. Johnny, I agree that adding in the 4 year bit was kind of low. We all get it, and it should have been forgotten.

D WEATHERSBY II
07-21-2016, 07:18 AM
Sincere congrats to Rodney! Awesome achievement. And well on his way to an automatic MC spot. Great shooting.

measureman
07-21-2016, 08:17 AM
this is just one of many reasons pool is going nowhere.
we glorify the criminals and sleaze balls in the game.
sponsors really want to hop on that train.

TATE
07-21-2016, 08:52 AM
I see no need to write why he missed 4 years of pool. He's paid that in full...leave it alone. Johnnyt

I agree, insensitive journalism. No need for that in a press release. Congrats to Rodney!

greyghost
07-21-2016, 09:01 AM

Agreed......when little guys know things bet money that big important people also know.....I've only seen more reasons for sponsors to act like pool is a plague as I've gotten older. Hope he enjoys his cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westcoast
07-21-2016, 09:04 AM

This is quite harsh. Rodney made a mistake years ago, did his time, and apparently has behaved well since. At some point he needs to be forgiven. He seems like a genuinely nice guy who treats others well.

Tramp Steamer
07-21-2016, 09:05 AM
I'm gonna agree with measureman, and Ghost, on this one.

jasonlaus
07-21-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm gonna pretend I'm in that other thread......and keep my nose out of it - none of my business.
Jason

Fast Lenny
07-21-2016, 09:14 AM
The guy paid his debts and we are talking over 20 years ago. He has grown up and changed. He is a family man and loves his children. I know him fairly well and he is a good person who is nice to everyone he meets treating people with respect.

The thing is I doubt you know him personally or have even met the guy but if you did you wouldn't be speaking of him as you are. I guess some people don't believe people can make a mistake and truly change to become a good contributing member of society. :(

WGDave
07-21-2016, 09:15 AM
From Rodney's Facebook:

Wow, this is pretty amazing. I'm officially gonna be introduced into the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very emotional right now just thinking about this past three decades of playing pool and doing what I love. Now I get recognition like this? Unreal. Never ever once thought about something like this being possible for me. I was just a poor lost soul when I walked into Hawaiian Brians Billiards in 1986. That pool table intrigued me and playing pool somehow brought me peace and I fell in love instantly. I'm living proof that your background, financial situation, or any other troubles you are facing, never have to be a reason to give up on your dreams.........I'm in absolute awe of all the past Hall of Famers that came before me, and to think that I'm actually now in that brotherhood........well, that's just surreal and I can't thank the media who voted for me and my fellow living Hall of Famers. I'm honored and proud right now.........I decided not to tag anyone, because I want anyone reading this to consider yourself tagged. I'll work hard on my speech for October and I hope to be able to remember to speak about everyone that has helped and guided me in my life and career. There's so many of you. I'm so happy right now I could go chase pokemons!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo:)

skip100
07-21-2016, 09:17 AM
Disagree, it is an important part of his life story that would have been inappropriate not to include. He refers obliquely but obviously to it himself:

“It is validation and recognition of all the years and hard work I’ve put into this game. Getting into the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame is especially gratifying because I came from a broken home, was raised on the streets and made just about every mistake you can make. But I persevered, which proves that everyone can do something great it they dedicate themselves to it.”

Tramp Steamer
07-21-2016, 09:18 AM
The guy paid his debts and we are talking over 20 years ago. He has grown up and changed. He is a family man and loves his children. I know him fairly well and he is a good person who is nice to everyone he meets treating people with respect.
The thing is I doubt you know him personally or have even met the guy but if you did you wouldn't be speaking of him as you are. I guess some people don't believe people can make a mistake and truly change to become a good contributing member of society. :
(

I think you need to re-read measureman's response. There is more at stake here than happy days for Mr. Morris.

WGDave
07-21-2016, 09:19 AM

I think if you met Rodney, like most, you would change your opinion.

Andy Billiard Cloth has no problems sponsoring him :wink:

WGDave
07-21-2016, 09:29 AM
As far as pool's image goes, Rodney is the one of the few that dress to impress at tournaments.

The exception being at Hard Times Bellflower where it is a sweat box most of the time.

Chopdoc
07-21-2016, 09:35 AM

But don't all the successful commercialized sports do that?

Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, how about the explosion of the value of MMA?

Talk about glorifying sleeze balls...heck the fans do it! And the sponsors come running!

Sure, cross a certain line and you could lose sponsorship deals, but those industries are founded, built, and maintained on, for, and by sleeze balls.

I don't think there is anything wrong in mentioning it. It is a story of success, of recovering from a major bump in life, a story of hope fulfilled. People need that.

A remorseful and rededicated Morris returned to the game in 2001 and won the year-ending Sands Regency Open.

Just my take on it.

Bravo for him. Bravo. :thumbup:

VIProfessor
07-21-2016, 09:54 AM
I'd like to join in enthusiastic congratulations to Rodney on his well-deserved election to the Hall of Fame. He has clearly been one of our greatest players for nearly three decades and he has been a good ambassador of the sport. I met him in Vegas a few years ago and was able to confirm from personal experience that he's one of the good guys in the sport.

Now... I have a few questions, with all respect, to those who feel his "vacation" in the late nineties should have been a disqualifier.

1. Is he running for President or something? (And if it comes to that, I would hesitate to say that he suffers in comparison to either major candidate in terms of moral conduct)
2. If we talk about the image of the sport, aren't there many major sports in which stars have been convicted of one offense or another? If we take boxing, for example, can we say Sonny Liston and Mike Tyson?
3. How long, and how many times, must a man pay for a non-violent offense that took place in his youth and that had no relation to the sport?
4. How does an old drug conviction compare, in terms of damage to the sport, with the infamous debacle at the first Challenge of Champions?

Be happy for the man. He earned it!

Fast Lenny
07-21-2016, 10:10 AM
I think you need to re-read measureman's response. There is more at stake here than happy days for Mr. Morris.

I think people need to realize that one part of a mans life doesn't define him. Morris will be remembered mainly for the champion player he is and now a Hall of Famer. :thumbup:

JoeyA
07-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Rodney is a great guy, who plays pool at an extremely high level. He is also one funny guy if you follow his posts on FB.

Personally, I think this year, he is USA Mosconi Cup Team bound, unless Hawaii is part of Europe.

JoeyA

KAP1976
07-21-2016, 11:08 AM

Hasn't stopped sponsors from tossing money at Baylor and Penn State University football.

boogeyman
07-21-2016, 11:44 AM
This is quite harsh. Rodney made a mistake years ago, did his time, and apparently has behaved well since. At some point he needs to be forgiven. He seems like a genuinely nice guy who treats others well.

My interactions with Rodney years ago in Hawaii, were both fun.
Once at an old pool room on Kamehameha Avenue and the other in front of the old Blue Zebra nightclub.
He was quite outgoing and to tell you the truth, seems like a good friend to have.
I really don't give a sh** how good he plays pool, because his personality and "aloha spirit" alone do it for me.

By the way, Rodney being a "genuinely nice guy who treats others well" has nothing to do with getting into the HOF.
(Not that you are implying that, westcoast).
For sure, there have been some real a-holes who have been inducted.

boogeyman
07-21-2016, 11:47 AM
I'd like to join in enthusiastic congratulations to Rodney on his well-deserved election to the Hall of Fame. He has clearly been one of our greatest players for nearly three decades and he has been a good ambassador of the sport. I met him in Vegas a few years ago and was able to confirm from personal experience that he's one of the good guys in the sport.

Now... I have a few questions, with all respect, to those who feel his "vacation" in the late nineties should have been a disqualifier.

1. Is he running for President or something? (And if it comes to that, I would hesitate to say that he suffers in comparison to either major candidate in terms of moral conduct)
2. If we talk about the image of the sport, aren't there many major sports in which stars have been convicted of one offense or another? If we take boxing, for example, can we say Sonny Liston and Mike Tyson?
3. How long, and how many times, must a man pay for a non-violent offense that took place in his youth and that had no relation to the sport?
4. How does an old drug conviction compare, in terms of damage to the sport, with the infamous debacle at the first Challenge of Champions?

Be happy for the man. He earned it!

Well said, Professor.

Neil
07-21-2016, 12:06 PM
I doubt that he was barred from most pro events (CSI and others) because he is such a nice guy. Or got himself barred at least temporarily from any of Barry Hearn's events because he is such a nice guy. He is the ultimate hustler. But, since the HOF is ONLY about playing ability, sure, let him in it. After all, Greenleaf and a bunch of other sleeze-bags are already in it.

Just please stop trying to sell the crap of "he was nice to me, he dresses like I want him too" nonsense as qualifiers as to why he should be in it.

overlord
07-21-2016, 12:11 PM
The Rocket man is high above all the nit pickers and naysayers. All I can say is congratulations. It is a well deserved honor.

I first saw Rodney play for the first time up in Reno after his Club Fed vacation and he was a sight to behold.

John Schmidt asked for the 8 ball couldn't hang with him even. He is a very natural player nothing looks forced, loves to drive the cue ball around multiple rails.

Al I can say is lest we judge too harshly.

lbostons
07-21-2016, 12:16 PM
What he did in the 90s doesn't detract what he has accomplished since then. I like to hear stories like this. Someone has the destitute and resilience to stay clean. I always feel sad for the ones who cannot and their careers go south. Doc Gooden, Darryll Strawberry, and Josh Hamilton still battles with addiction to name a few. Heck think about cocky Johhny Football. Kid is all kinds of talented but does not have his head on straight.

I am proud of the guy and believes he belongs in the hall. Pool has enough good guys to market. That isn't what is holding pool back though. It's Sponsors, TV audiences, the lack of pool and and billiards governing body IMO.

Fast Lenny
07-21-2016, 12:33 PM
I doubt that he was barred from most pro events (CSI and others) because he is such a nice guy. Or got himself barred at least temporarily from any of Barry Hearn's events because he is such a nice guy. He is the ultimate hustler. But, since the HOF is ONLY about playing ability, sure, let him in it. After all, Greenleaf and a bunch of other sleeze-bags are already in it.

Just please stop trying to sell the crap of "he was nice to me, he dresses like I want him too" nonsense as qualifiers as to why he should be in it.
His accomplishments qualify him for it. CSI and Barry Hearn might not like his opinions on events which he expresses while others do it behind their back and for that I respect him. The BS about claiming some funny business happened at Mosconi Cup is laughable because dumping and dogging look the same and no one has proof just making claims with nothing to support it. Mosconi Cup has favored the Europeans for years and they don't want US players speaking up about it either.

He talked negatively of CSI and was barred for it. Doesn't make you a sleaze bag for having an opinion. People on here act as if they have never made a mistake, those are the ones you need to worry about most. I guess paying your debt to society in some peoples eyes counts for nothing. Other then his conviction 20 years ago what has the man done that is deemed to be fact?

People on this forum like to bash the pro players which explains why they think the forum is a joke for the most part and don't come on here. The majority of us love the game and the players that play it at the highest level. Doesn't mean they are exempt because someone like Howard Vickery can never redeem himself. Someone who got caught up in drugs like Chohan or Morris and pays their debt is okay with me if they do the right things after. Morris hasn't been in trouble in over 20 years! :eek:

jrhendy
07-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Rodney has been and is a bright light for pool. Congratulations to him.

One of the things holding pool back IMO is the self righteous know it all jerks like we have on here. Must be straight pool players.:grin:

sjm
07-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Congratulations to Rodney.

The greatest pool I ever saw from Rodney Morris came at the 2013 US Open 10-ball event, played on big tables at the Rio in Las Vegas. It produced the strongest field I've ever seen at the BCA pro events.

The elite field played down to six and it turned out that it would be five Asian superstars and one American superstar to fight for the title. Dennis Orcullo, Lee Vann Corteza, Wu Jiaqing, Ko Pin-Yi, and Carlo Biado all stood in Rodney Morris' path to the title. Rodney got all the way to the final against Orcullo but Dennis was playing almost perfect pool on the way to a 9-2 lead. Rodney then went into a groove and pulled off one of the greatest comebacks in the history of our sport, winning the title.

For me, this one is still sinking in.

jalapus logan
07-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Congrats to Rodney! So what if the man made a mistake 20 years ago. Ain't no one perfect. As for his impact on the future of pool, well, nothing sells like a story about redemption.:thumbup:

PocketSpeed11
07-21-2016, 12:46 PM
I agree on its inclusion. It is a great story of redemption. I'm only 34 but have been sober for the last 12 years of my life and I wear it like a ****ing badge. I had been arrested previously multiple times, mainly relating to substance abuse and I'm willing to tell anybody my past transgressions because of the pride I feel for how far I have come. It is something to measure myself by.

It seems that Rodney is also willing to tell his story, as can be seen in this interview... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFwYDjtcl5k

Congrats Rodney! Probably my favorite player.

boogeyman
07-21-2016, 12:49 PM

Right on, Neil.
I hate it when others try to "strengthen" an argument for someone when they add the proverbial, "he/she was a nice person."
Who cares. All I care about is ones talent and/or what they have done for the game of pool.

As an aside/example: Tiger Woods in the PGA HOF? You damn right.

FLYINGSNAIL
07-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Awesome player:thumbup:
Represent the game well:thumbup:
Dress well to evens:thumbup:
Good guy:thumbup:

Neil
07-21-2016, 12:56 PM
His accomplishments qualify him for it. CSI and Barry Hearn might not like his opinions on events which he expresses while others do it behind their back and for that I respect him. The BS about claiming some funny business happened at Mosconi Cup is laughable because dumping and dogging look the same and no one has proof just making claims with nothing to support it. Mosconi Cup has favored the Europeans for years and they don't want US players speaking up about it either.

He talked negatively of CSI and was barred for it. Doesn't make you a sleaze bag for having an opinion. People on here act as if they have never made a mistake, those are the ones you need to worry about most. I guess paying your debt to society in some peoples eyes counts for nothing. Other then his conviction 20 years ago what has the man done that is deemed to be fact?

People on this forum like to bash the pro players which explains why they think the forum is a joke for the most part and don't come on here. The majority of us love the game and the players that play it at the highest level. Doesn't mean they are exempt because someone like Howard Vickery can never redeem himself. Someone who got caught up in drugs like Chohan or Morris and pays their debt is okay with me if they do the right things after. Morris hasn't been in trouble in over 20 years! :eek:

Lenny, I never said a word about his past conviction. He paid his debt on that one. Just because Scotland Yard couldn't prove that he dumped his match, doesn't mean that he didn't. Everyone there knew he did, but it is almost impossible to actually prove a dump as you well know.

Some of you are trying to hold him up as some kind of saint just because he plays pool real well. Sorry you don't like to hear it about one of your heroes, but he is far from sainthood. Oh, I like how you state he hasn't been in trouble for over twenty years, yet, it was only recently that the other crap happened. But, since he didn't actually go to jail for those offenses, they don't count, right??

As I stated, since the HOF is ONLY about actual playing ability, and nothing else, he gets in. His playing is stellar. It's got nothing to do with "bashing the pros", like you and others like to make it out to be. It has a lot to do with honesty, which you guys like to overlook just because someone is a pro player.

Fast Lenny
07-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Lenny, I never said a word about his past conviction. He paid his debt on that one. Just because Scotland Yard couldn't prove that he dumped his match, doesn't mean that he didn't. Everyone there knew he did, but it is almost impossible to actually prove a dump as you well know.

Some of you are trying to hold him up as some kind of saint just because he plays pool real well. Sorry you don't like to hear it about one of your heroes, but he is far from sainthood. Oh, I like how you state he hasn't been in trouble for over twenty years, yet, it was only recently that the other crap happened. But, since he didn't actually go to jail for those offenses, they don't count, right??

As I stated, since the HOF is ONLY about actual playing ability, and nothing else, he gets in. His playing is stellar. It's got nothing to do with "bashing the pros", like you and others like to make it out to be. It has a lot to do with honesty, which you guys like to overlook just because someone is a pro player.

I can't hold someone accountable based on gossip. I mean I have seen so much in pool including business behind the scenes. I don't respect that kind of stuff but if you weren't there and didn't know it for a fact then its just pool gossip being repeated and passed along which does more harm to the game then good.

JoeyA
07-21-2016, 01:30 PM
I failed to read some of the negative responses in this thread the first time around but I have now, at least up until this point.

Here's what I see:

I see an ELITE POOL PLAYER who made a mistake years ago and paid dearly for it. Since then he has walked the straight and narrow, doing good along the way.

He acknowledges his mistake of the past and has corrected his behavior.

Rodney now leads a righteous life by most standards of society and morality, yet there are those (some of you whom I call "friends") still trying to punish him for a mistake he made long ago.

In public, he carries himself as a friend to one and all. His talent in the pool world is legendary. In social media, he is honest and upfront for the world to see. Rodney is no fake ass *****. He is the real deal.

If you're looking to punish someone for turning their life around and doing well for themselves then it's a sad day for all of us. We ***** and moan as a society that criminals come out of prison worse than the day they went in. Now we have a MAN who gets his act together and we're going to sit here and beat him up for it. This kind of community attack is sickening to me.

Rodney, if you're reading this, continue doing the things you have been doing these recent years. There will always be those who will try to knock you down and bring up mistakes of the past. Stay in the moment and live your life to the fullest. While your talent at pool is something to be appreciative of, I more importantly respect the fact that you have learned from your mistakes of the past and lead an exemplary life.

JoeyA

VIProfessor
07-21-2016, 01:35 PM
I failed to read some of the negative responses in this thread the first time around but I have now, at least up until this point.

Here's what I see:

I see an ELITE POOL PLAYER who made a mistake years ago and paid dearly for it. Since then he has walked the straight and narrow, doing good along the way.

Rodney now leads a righteous life by most standards of society and morality, yet there are those (some of you whom I call "friends") still trying to punish him for a mistake he made long ago.

In public, he carries himself as a friend to one and all. His talent in the pool world is legendary. In social media, he is honest and upfront for the world to see. Rodney is no fake ass *****. He is the real deal.

If you're looking to punish someone for turning their life around and doing well for themselves then it's a sad day for all of us. We ***** and moan as a society that criminals come out of prison worse than the day they went in. Now we have a MAN who gets his act together and we're going to sit here and beat him up for it. This kind of community attack is sickening to me.

Rodney, if you're reading this, continue doing the things you have been doing these recent years. There will always be those who will try to knock you down and bring up mistakes of the past. Stay in the moment and live your life to the fullest. While your talent at pool is something to be appreciative of, I more importantly respect the fact that you have learned from your mistakes of the past and lead an exemplary life.

JoeyA

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JoeyA again."

measureman
07-21-2016, 01:39 PM
I think if you met Rodney, like most, you would change your opinion.

Andy Billiard Cloth has no problems sponsoring him :wink:

I met Rodney back in the '80s when Hawaiian Brian brought him to Tony Cattuccis pool room in Toms River New Jersey to toughen him up against real players.
I played him and put a new ferrule and tip on his South West cue for free.
Nice kid at the time.
Dont assume things.

westcoast
07-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Perhaps Rodney just played uncharacteristically poor in the Mosconi Cup. Would it really be worth it for him to risk his reputation for a little bit of money by dumping at such a high profile event?

Maybe he did, I don't know first hand. If so, that is quite a disappointment.

Neil
07-21-2016, 02:08 PM

Here's what I see:

JoeyA

Joey, did you wear just hip waders, or did you have to put on full chest waders to type that out? What's sickening is that some of you are so blind to the truth just because the guy plays pool real well. Exemplary life? Is that what got him barred from pro events recently? Really? But, for sure, Rodney, keep on acting just like you do. It's obvious some are totally blind to your real self and as long as you continue to play good, nothing else matters about you. :rolleyes:

Also, very typical of you to take the truth others dare speak of and call it a "community attack". Just keep you head in the sand Joey. When you can't dispute the actual truth, just go after those speaking it. :shakehead:

I will say this for you though, when you pile it on, you sure pile it deep!

Fast Lenny
07-21-2016, 02:16 PM
Joey, did you wear just hip waders, or did you have to put on full chest waders to type that out? What's sickening is that some of you are so blind to the truth just because the guy plays pool real well. Exemplary life? Is that what got him barred from pro events recently? Really? But, for sure, Rodney, keep on acting just like you do. It's obvious some are totally blind to your real self and as long as you continue to play good, nothing else matters about you. :rolleyes:

Also, very typical of you to take the truth others dare speak of and call it a "community attack". Just keep you head in the sand Joey. When you can't dispute the actual truth, just go after those speaking it. :shakehead:

Can you explain what knowledge you have of the incident and where you got the information from?

GideonF
07-21-2016, 02:24 PM

It has been reported that he was banned from CSI events because he criticized CSI. If that is what happened, that may (or may not) have been unwise, it would not lower his standing in my eyes. (BTW, he is currently playing the CSI 10 ball event, as well as one of the CSI challenge matches, so clearly he and Mark have worked it out).

As to his old conviction, given everything I've seen about how Rodney has lived his life since then, it doesn't trouble me at all. And I think it would actually make an attractive redemption arc for sponsors and the sport.

Neil
07-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Can you explain what knowledge you have of the incident and where you got the information from?

Which incident are you talking about? His facebook rants were all over facebook. I'm sure you read them. His MC cup dump I got firsthand from someone that was actually there. Been covered up long enough. What I was told is this- Raj Hundal made a bet at the window that Rodney would lose his match. Rodney did lose it, and IMO, he didn't even make it look good. They won $300,000 at the window for it. Barry was pissed off to no end, and had Scotland Yard investigating it as well as the "window". Couldn't actually prove he dumped, so they skated on charges. Barry had a lot of words with Rodney about it. Barry also had a lot to say about his and Hatch's actions in the bar.

Now, watch the actual event on you tube. Watch how the whole team is trying to win and has a good attitude. Then, watch the attitude of the players when they come out after just finding out that Rodney was going to dump. Everyone of them except Rodney was pissed off coming out to play. SVB was up, and he acted like he didn't even want to be there anymore. Halfway or so through the match, he finally started trying just for himself and his country, even though he already knew they were going to lose the team event again.

Lots of pros dump at various times. I look at it as a given. However, when one dumps an event where they are representing their country, I view it the same as I would any other traitor. They sold out their country for a buck. I spent ten years serving this country, and I don't take kindly to those I deam as traitors.

Tramp Steamer
07-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Which incident are you talking about? His facebook rants were all over facebook. I'm sure you read them. His MC cup dump I got firsthand from someone that was actually there. Been covered up long enough. What I was told is this- Raj Hundal made a bet at the window that Rodney would lose his match. Rodney did lose it, and IMO, he didn't even make it look good. They won $300,000 at the window for it. Barry was pissed off to no end, and had Scotland Yard investigating it as well as the "window". Couldn't actually prove he dumped, so they skated on charges. Barry had a lot of words with Rodney about it. Barry also had a lot to say about his and Hatch's actions in the bar.

Now, watch the actual event on you tube. Watch how the whole team is trying to win and has a good attitude. Then, watch the attitude of the players when they come out after just finding out that Rodney was going to dump. Everyone of them except Rodney was pissed off coming out to play. SVB was up, and he acted like he didn't even want to be there anymore. Halfway or so through the match, he finally started trying just for himself and his country, even though he already knew they were going to lose the team event again.

Lots of pros dump at various times. I look at it as a given. However, when one dumps an event where they are representing their country, I view it the same as I would any other traitor. They sold out their country for a buck. I spent ten years serving this country, and I don't take kindly to those I deam as traitors.

If this is true then at the very least he should be stripped of his HOF status.
And, JoeyA, don't you ever throw that friendship crap in our faces again. This is a forum where our opinions count just as much as yours.

Tooler
07-21-2016, 03:04 PM
And, JoeyA, don't you ever throw that friendship crap in our faces again. This is a forum where our opinions count just as much as yours.

They'll never strip him of HOF, because it was never proven. If it had, then he never would of received it in the first place.

I'm not condoning anything, just sayin. I agree 100% with everything Neil said, but it had to of been discussed prior to selecting him.....No?

greyghost
07-21-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm going to hit the stone cold nut tap tap tap on Neil and tramps comments.

Joey is a kind man, has always been very nice an generous to myself and has even given me equipment for the school pool program. But I don't always have his nice opinions of others.

Tho we look at some of our hof members. It's not like buddy hall is known as some gracious honorable man.......and the pool hof I do forget like maybe Neil and tramp do isn't baseball or its hof that banned Pete rose.

As with Pete I doubt one person ever believed he was some kinda dumper lol....I mean this is Charlie hustle were talking about. He woulda bet the world on his shoulders......but that wasn't the comminishoners point it was that it can bring up things like the possibility of dumps and such.....

The baseball hof and the bca hof aren't the same thing.

For some of us though our sports stars and legends are supposed to be bigger than the game. Cut them and they bleed it's soul.

The days of Gehrig Maris mantle and Ripken are dead. It's all about performance now.....now how you perform.

It's not like I've never felt fear in my life.....but I don't like chicken shits. Dream killers nor false idols.

If I had known what I have learned in the past ohhh 6 years or so about a handful of players and legends of the game I'd still be focusing on my split times over x distance not my one pocket game or instruction for pool.

Just my humble opinion. Are Morris, hall, hatch, archer, Appleton and such great players omg YES.....do I admire or look up to them and all the other amazing players out there?

NO!

For myself right now the only tip top American player I have any admiration faith or trust in is Shane van boening. The young man is a shining pillar of light for our community and game.

That's the last and final thing I'll ever say about this and other similar things publicly.

Unless some mag wants an interview for print. Lol. I'll take my gloves off if they want some sweet nsfw quotes.

Not to worry, no ones interested in honesty these days and I'd just be black balled as some shoulder chipped hater.....no chips on these shoulders boys and girls....the chips are on my shop floor where they belong.

The truth will always be there. It's a tough sob and never dies.

Immortality awaits,
-greyghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TATE
07-21-2016, 05:09 PM
I think it's totally inappropriate for a press release inducting him into the Hall of Fame to mention his "felony drug conviction". If Rodney wants to discuss it personally, that would be up to him. But a press release? That's really poor judgment IMO.

Perhaps it was the author's attempt to acknowledge Rodney for overcoming his past. If so, it was poorly conceived.

arnaldo
07-21-2016, 05:26 PM
In the moral domain, we are rarely as good as the best thing we've ever done, but neither are we as bad as the worst thing we've ever done.

Rodney is a very human guy -- as are we. He hurt himself once as we all have, but he has elevated himself admirably.

On balance he'll be remembered as well as most of us will be for the brief cosmic seconds we were randomly granted to exist on this remote spinning rock.

Arnaldo

BmoreMoney
07-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Congrats to Rodney!!! Well deserved accolade. The HOF is about accomplishments on the table, I could care less about his past nor about the press release. While I don't know him well, I can say every interaction I've ever had with him he was totally cool, nicest guy ever, professional, and very down to earth.

westcoast
07-21-2016, 06:24 PM
In the moral domain, we are rarely as good as the best thing we've ever done, but neither are we as bad as the worst thing we've ever done.

Rodney is a very human guy -- as are we. He hurt himself once as we all have, but he has elevated himself admirably.

On balance he'll be remembered as well as most of us will be for the brief cosmic seconds we were randomly granted to exist on this remote spinning rock.

Arnaldodeeply philosophical! Well said

PRED
07-21-2016, 06:35 PM
Last time I spoke to Rodney was in NOLA, we were in a 8 table joint one night during the BCA. We were matching up on the Golden Tee while Aki was arranging a 5K set with a big ole boy in overalls. He had a HOF game back then.

Congrats Rodney

JoeyA
07-21-2016, 10:45 PM

Scotland ****ing Yard didn't find that he did anything wrong.
He's paid his debt to society for his previous mistake.

If your opinions (OR ANYONE ELSE'S) are designed to punish a guy for mistakes that he has already paid for and to keep a rehabilitated man down, your opinions don't count for anything with me.

What do you people want, a pound of flesh? :deadhorse:

JoeyA

ribdoner
07-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Congrats to a straight talkin and straight shootin man who deserved this honor

Dave-Kat
07-21-2016, 11:20 PM
One of my favorites. Past is the past. Congrats to RM on his achievements and his well deserved induction.

Rolls,

-Kat,

Superiorduper
07-21-2016, 11:53 PM
Congratulations Rodney, well deserved. Rodney's definitely my favorite player to watch, I never knew about his past but it certainly isn't going to change the fact that he's incredibly talented and a from what I can tell a great guy. I've never seen him overreact or have poor sportsman ship, I've heard him say "nice shot" or "good shot" to his opponents in smaller tournaments n whatnot. He seems like a real class act and all these people hard asses criticizing him are obviously cops, ex cops, or grew up with a dad as a cop. Not all cops, but you know, the hard ass kind of cops that are short, and wearing a flack jacket while writing a ticket to grandma cause she wasn't wearing her seat belt, most likely bald as well with a really shiny head...

Anyways! Can't wait to watch Rodney vs Bustamante next week, should be epic

wayne
07-22-2016, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=Neil;5614417 His MC cup dump I got firsthand from someone that was actually there. Been covered up long enough. What I was told is this- Raj Hundal made a bet at the window that Rodney would lose his match. Rodney did lose it, and IMO, he didn't even make it look good. They won $300,000 at the window for it. Barry was pissed off to no end, and had Scotland Yard investigating it as well as the "window". Couldn't actually prove he dumped, so they skated on charges. Barry had a lot of words with Rodney about it,[/QUOTE]

Wow! Helluva story if is true. You actually got it second or third hand if someone there relayed it to you. If the person relaying it had firsthand knowledge it would mean they were directly involved and they gave you second hand knowledge, if they weren't directly involved then they had secondhand knowledge and you got third hand.

Where did Raj Hundal get $300,000 cash? Does someone actually take a $300,000 bet on a pool match (are they out of their freaking mind)?

Do you even win dollars over in England? I would think they would be betting pounds with the average bet 10 pounds. Someone slapping down $300,000 on a fellow player might set off a few million alarms.

Scotland Yard couldn't figure it out?

Tramp Steamer
07-22-2016, 01:14 AM
Scotland ****ing Yard didn't find that he did anything wrong.
He's paid his debt to society for his previous mistake.

If your opinions (OR ANYONE ELSE'S) are designed to punish a guy for mistakes that he has already paid for and to keep a rehabilitated man down, your opinions don't count for anything with me.

What do you people want, a pound of flesh? :deadhorse:

JoeyA

Knock it off with the big blue letters, you're not as cool as you think you are.
Never have been, never will be.

Bank it
07-22-2016, 01:16 AM
Congrats to Rodney.

To the naysayers I offer you the advice your parents should have given you. If you can't say something nice [emoji55] don't say anything at all.

JoeyA
07-22-2016, 11:56 AM
I don't use "big blue letters" to be cool (whatever that is) but this thread was started to show some love to a man who has turned his life around and to congratulation him on being inducted into the Hall of Fame, not to be crucified for some past mistake.

JoeyA

Knock it off with the big blue letters, you're not as cool as you think you are.
Never have been, never will be.

Tramp Steamer
07-22-2016, 01:15 PM
I don't use "big blue letters" to be cool (whatever that is) but this thread was started to show some love to a man who has turned his life around and to congratulation him on being inducted into the Hall of Fame, not to be crucified for some past mistake.

JoeyA

Save that love crap for the Democratic National Convention. That's next week.

SJDinPHX
07-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Rodney has been and is a bright light for pool. Congratulations to him.

One of the things holding pool back IMO is the self righteous know it all jerks like we have on here. Must be straight pool players.:grin:

John, you and I have been around pool long enough to realize one thing for sure..Rarely, if there is serious money involved, is there not the moaning and grumblings from the side betting losers..They will start a "dump" rumor, at the drop of a hat!..It is quite often their way of trying to prove to others, that they are too smart to lose, so it must have been business!

Obviously there have been occasional "dumps", but not near as many as the "know it all jerks" would have you believe..
Any high stakes pool player, like Rodney, will be forced to defend himself just for having a bad day..The sting of the loss is bad enough, but the accusations make it ten times worse..Hard to blame him (or anybody) for lashing out at their detractors! .....Congratulations Rodney !

PS..And you are right, it has held pool back for decades now!

mrkdenton
07-22-2016, 04:59 PM
I would like to watch the match u are referring to. Neil. What year mosconi cup is it please. Thanks.

BeiberLvr
07-22-2016, 06:58 PM
But don't all the successful commercialized sports do that?

Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, how about the explosion of the value of MMA?

Talk about glorifying sleeze balls...heck the fans do it! And the sponsors come running!

Sure, cross a certain line and you could lose sponsorship deals, but those industries are founded, built, and maintained on, for, and by sleeze balls.

I don't see anyone glorifying sleeze balls. Guys make mistakes, and they usually pay for those mistakes in one way or another.

The difference between pool and major sports is there are ramifications for poor choices in major sports. Guys screw up in the NFL, and they can get fined, suspended, put in jail. Tom Brady is suspended 4 games without pay for allegedly deflating footballs. Which in pool, is probably the equivalent of pattern racking.

Shit, you get caught with marijuana in your system in any major sport, and that'll get you suspended. Most guys in the pool world can't play at all unless they toke up before a match.

lfigueroa
07-22-2016, 07:05 PM
Just two comments: no idea who Neil's sources are but I heard almost exactly the same thing about "the MC dump." Another fact is that there are at least a couple of other folks on this site that also know the same. Whether they choose to speak up, or are even still on this site, is unknown.

The udder thing is that the biggest hypocrites on this site tend to use blue ink.

Lou Figueroa

wayne
07-22-2016, 09:38 PM
Just two comments: no idea who Neil's sources are but I heard almost exactly the same thing about "the MC dump." Another fact is that there are at least a couple of other folks on this site that also know the same. Whether they choose to speak up, or are even still on this site, is unknown.

The udder thing is that the biggest hypocrites on this site tend to use blue ink.

Lou Figueroa

Did you just use blue ink?

Tramp Steamer
07-23-2016, 06:27 AM

He did it to make a point. The validity of the statement still stands.

lfigueroa
07-23-2016, 08:26 AM
He did it to make a point. The validity of the statement still stands.

Tramp, I believe using blue ink as an illustrative device is too subtle a point for some.

Lou Figueroa

arnaldo
07-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Here's Rodney at age 25 playing in the final match of the 1996 US Open race-to-11 against Efren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZCxssVP-Kc

As Danny D. would likely put it, Rodney was "A straight-shootin' son-of-a-gun" in this video against a death-in-the-family-disturbed Reyes. I believe Reyes had just gotten news about the passing of a beloved relative. (Similar to Busty losing to Strickland -- some AZB-ers may remember -- in that years-ago Cardiff, Wales final after his infant daughter died. (Every player in that tourney -- including Strickland -- movingly wore a black armband in sympathy for Busty immediately after the bad news circulated.)

While vacationing once in Hawaii, I had the pleasure of playing (moderately well) in the same Texas Express 9-baller as Rodney (held at the then-newly-opened Maui Cue and conducted by Randy G.) a couple of years after Rodney's above US Open win. Rodney's effortless multi-cushion position play and silky-smooth stroking were dazzling to behold in person. Archer, Sal Butera (Lou's son), Michael Coltraine (Archer's buddy), and a ton of local A+ stars were entered -- all of them sadly, smoking like chimneys as was the common practice then.

Arnaldo

westcoast
07-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Here's Rodney at age 25 playing in the final match of the 1996 US Open race-to-11 against Efren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZCxssVP-Kc

As Danny D. would likely put it, Rodney was "A straight-shootin' son-of-a-gun" in this video against a death-in-the-family-disturbed Reyes. I believe Reyes had just gotten news about the passing of a beloved relative. (Similar to Busty losing to Strickland -- some AZB-ers may remember -- in that years-ago Cardiff, Wales final after his infant daughter died. (Every player in that tourney -- including Strickland -- movingly wore a black armband in sympathy for Busty immediately after the bad news circulated.)

While vacationing once in Hawaii, I had the pleasure of playing (moderately well) in the same Texas Express 9-baller as Rodney (held at the then-newly-opened Maui Cue and conducted by Randy G.) a couple of years after Rodney's above US Open win. Rodney's effortless multi-cushion position play and silky-smooth stroking were dazzling to behold in person. Archer, Sal Butera (Lou's son), Michael Coltraine (Archer's buddy), and a ton of local A+ stars were entered -- all of them sadly, smoking like chimneys as was the common practice then.

Arnaldo
I am big fan of watching Earl play. He may have expressed sympathy earlier in the tournament, but it was distasteful of him to jump on the table and yell after winning the tournament considering what his opponent had gone through

SJDinPHX
07-23-2016, 04:04 PM
I am big fan of watching Earl play. He may have expressed sympathy earlier in the tournament, but it was distasteful of him to jump on the table and yell after winning the tournament considering what his opponent had gone through

I defy you to name two things that Earl has done, that weren't either distasteful, uncalled for, or just plain assinine?..He is a disgrace to ALL American pool players!..It is a shame, with all his skill at the game, that he is the first name the world thinks of, when they think of pool in our country! :mad:

PS..I ain't buying into his mental problems as an excuse either..Its hard to believe he doesn't actually enjoy acting like a complete a--hole! :frown:

JoeyA
07-23-2016, 07:10 PM

Lou Figueroa

Wayne,
That is just Lou Figueroa's "poorly veiled ad hominem attack" in breaking the forum's rules.

I guess the forum moderators will have to put the muzzle back on him.

JoeyA
JoeyA

Mr. Wilson
07-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Many of you need to check yourselves.

Lots of folks looking down their noses at one another.

Fast Lenny
07-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Just did a quick little video this morning with Rodney talking about the HOF as we needed to correct some stuff for the DVD which is getting close to finished. Enjoy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAPKvTBZxks

JoeyA
07-24-2016, 09:15 AM
I like the following story that Rodney told concerning Steve Mizerak and how Rodney had an unbelievable streak of winning but only with Steve watching......

JoeyA

Just did a quick little video this morning with Rodney talking about the HOF as we needed to correct some stuff for the DVD which is getting close to finished. Enjoy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAPKvTBZxks

Fast Lenny
07-24-2016, 09:27 AM
I like the following story that Rodney told concerning Steve Mizerak and how Rodney had an unbelievable streak of winning but only with Steve watching......

JoeyA

Yeah Rodney really liked the Miz. Here is that story. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FATH7fKA-o