PDA

View Full Version : Don't piss off the old guys

daveb
07-21-2016, 08:59 PM
For the most part, older players don't give a shi*t about winning and ego anymore and have nothing to prove to anyone. They are content to play for the joy of the game and the camaraderie of friends who play, and the willingness to share knowledge. But, insult them and piss them off and you will see the strength of that knowledge and experience at your own peril. Anyone experience what I am talking about?

tc in l a
07-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Two young businessmen in Florida were sitting down for a break in their soon-to-be new store in the shopping mall. As yet, the store wasn't ready, with only a few shelves and display racks set up.

One said to the other, "I'll bet that any minute now some old person is going to walk by, put his face to the window, and ask what we're selling."

Sure enough, just a moment later, a curious senior gentleman walked up to the window, looked around intensely and rapped on the glass. Then in a loud voice asked, "What are you selling' here?"

One of the men replied sarcastically, "We're selling ass-holes."

Without skipping a beat, the old timer said, "You must be doing well. Only two left."

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I couldn't resist sharing this...one of those office emails that's been forwarded a million times

Texas Carom Club
07-22-2016, 08:49 AM
It's a general rule of mine not to insult or piss off anyone who doesnt do the same to me

But I know where your coming from :)

RickLafayette
07-22-2016, 10:54 AM
Never under estimate an old man...

bazkook
07-22-2016, 11:18 AM
It's a general rule of mine not to insult or piss off anyone who doesn't do the same to me
I wish everyone else lived by the same rule.

pwd72s
07-22-2016, 11:49 AM
You know how young women love to flirt and tease old guys?

Neither do I....:sorry:

ceebee
07-22-2016, 11:57 AM
When I was a young man, my Dad said to me..."make friends with them old men, they'll teach you something". They taught me how to play well & they taught me the meaning of "old age & treachery will overcome youth & skill".

Now, I'm an old man & I don't play too bad anymore. If I could still see, I'd show off with my "old age & treachery"...Hahahhahah

VIProfessor
07-22-2016, 12:12 PM
When I was a young man, my Dad said to me..."make friends with them old men, they'll teach you something". They taught me how to play well & they taught me the meaning of "old age & treachery will overcome youth & skill".

Now, I'm an old man & I don't play too bad anymore. If I could still see, I'd show off with my "old age & treachery"...Hahahhahah

Hee hee! I used that line up to last night while consoling a young guy I had just finished playing. :cool:

Dave-Kat
07-22-2016, 12:15 PM
I have respect for my Elders. Yes Sir and yes Ma'am. Open doors for women, elderly or folks that need a hand. I was taught this by my Parents when I was about 5 back in the early 60's. Unfortunately, these respectful traits are a pretty much a thing of the past.

I have a standing weekly 1:00 Friday afternoon set with a friend who is 82 years old who thinks he is 50. I pick him up and drop him off because he does not drive anymore but he can sure get around the table:groucho: It's the highlight of his week as it is mine. I call it my Friday pool lesson.

He smiles and grins when I drop him off when he wins and his Wife asks us as she always does 'who was the champion today' ? I say Tony today, but I will get him next week.

Have a great weekend,

-Kat,

Johnny Rosato
07-22-2016, 12:32 PM
I have respect for my Elders. Yes Sir and yes Ma'am. Open doors for women, elderly or folks that need a hand. I was taught this by my Parents when I was about 5 back in the early 60's. Unfortunately, these respectful traits are a pretty much a thing of the past.

I have a standing weekly 1:00 Friday afternoon set with a friend who is 82 years old who thinks he is 50. I pick him up and drop him off because he does not drive anymore but he can sure get around the table:groucho: It's the highlight of his week as it is mine. I call it my Friday pool lesson.

He smiles and grins when I drop him off when he wins and his Wife asks us as she always does 'who was the champion today' ? I say Tony today, but I will get him next week.

Have a great weekend,

-Kat,
^^^ Much admiration here for what you do for the guy ^^^

Bavafongoul
07-22-2016, 02:15 PM
It's certainly open for debate......but the only one qualified to speak
about being an old pool player is.................another old pool player.

There is no substitute for time.....which = experience = knowledge.

TATE
07-22-2016, 02:59 PM
For the most part, older players don't give a shi*t about winning and ego anymore and have nothing to prove to anyone. They are content to play for the joy of the game and the camaraderie of friends who play, and the willingness to share knowledge. But, insult them and piss them off and you will see the strength of that knowledge and experience at your own peril. Anyone experience what I am talking about?

I am an older player now (63) and I give a sh*t about winning and my ego is doing just fine. I can play a bit too.

We age but we're still the same jerks, just older!

pt109
07-22-2016, 03:36 PM
We had a tough guy come around the pool hall when I was a teenager....
...I used to play him snooker...he treated me all right.
But he was in a bar one night and started another fight....
...the regular waiter was late fifties, weighed about 175.....George, the tough guy, weighed
about 230....Spinny the Waiter used to be a champion boxer...told George to leave...
....George laughed at him.......
...Spinny hit him so many times...George thought he was surrounded....:eek:

This convinced George to become gainfully employed...as a security guard....
....ended up founding his own company in that field...became a millionaire. :)

He told me years later that Spinny did him a big favor.

Sometimes you piss off an old guy....it's a good thing...you get a lesson.

lfigueroa
07-22-2016, 07:23 PM
I recently saw a young guy in the pool room. Looked dedicated and serious. But he had this sneer on his face, like he knew everything. I thought to myself: at 63 I could teach him a lot and shave years off his learning curve... but he doesn't look like he would listen in the first place. Not my loss.

Lou Figueroa

Dave-Kat
07-22-2016, 07:54 PM
What...and you had no 'sneer' when you were a youngster ? Kid could have been a life long friend someday when you no longer can pass the driving test and need a ride to the hall.

-Kat,

lfigueroa
07-22-2016, 08:52 PM
What...and you had no 'sneer' when you were a youngster ? Kid could have been a life long friend someday when you no longer can pass the driving test and need a ride to the hall.

-Kat,

Can't say I was ever a sneer kinda kid. And so, I was lucky enough to have several older guys help me along.

I have helped two young women (one became a semi-pro, the other a state champion); a kid type in his teens (now an older, accomplished, wiser type); and an older guy come along. Maybe I can still get a ride ;-)

Lou Figueroa

Lonestar_jim
07-22-2016, 10:33 PM

-Kat,
You could go pick up Lou and take him to the pool hall. [emoji12]

I am sneering as I type, but I actually have a hair lip. Elvis had something similar. Sang a little better at the beginning of his career. I worked with him some.
Ego in tact.

blehnhard
07-23-2016, 05:38 AM
I am an "old guy" (73). Learned pool back in HS - worked in pool hall in exchange for table time. Learned a few thing from some of the "old timers". Really did not play for about 55 years - started up again back in Feb.

Play with some neighbors once or twice a week (all old guys too - not quite as old as me). A couple are better than me and I enjoy matching up against them and can win a few 8 or 9 ball racks against them. Makes me want to get better, so I put in some practice time every now and then.

Play for the enjoyment of the game, enjoy the occasional nice complement when I make a tough shot or get good shape for the next shot or the occasional run out. Beating a better player is its own satisfaction, but I do not need to win to satisfy my ego. We have no need to play for money.

Very competitive in the past - professional golfer who played the Senior (Champions) Tour for 6 years back in the 90's. Just play golf for fun now with my pals - nice when I play well - have equaled or bettered my age in 3 of the last 4 rounds, but I just enjoy the day regardless of score.

Bruce

chefjeff
07-23-2016, 05:51 AM
I am an "old guy" (73). Learned pool back in HS - worked in pool hall in exchange for table time. Learned a few thing from some of the "old timers". Really did not play for about 55 years - started up again back in Feb.

Play with some neighbors once or twice a week (all old guys too - not quite as old as me). A couple are better than me and I enjoy matching up against them and can win a few 8 or 9 ball racks against them. Makes me want to get better, so I put in some practice time every now and then.

Play for the enjoyment of the game, enjoy the occasional nice complement when I make a tough shot or get good shape for the next shot or the occasional run out. Beating a better player is its own satisfaction, but I do not need to win to satisfy my ego. We have no need to play for money.

Very competitive in the past - professional golfer who played the Senior (Champions) Tour for 6 years back in the 90's. Just play golf for fun now with my pals - nice when I play well - have equaled or bettered my age in 3 of the last 4 rounds, but I just enjoy the day regardless of score.

Bruce

Very interesting, Bruce, your being a pro golfer. That right there means you've got some good thinking going on inside your head that, I bet, is used for pool playing, too.

I'd be interested in hearing how the two sports coincide as you play 'em and what golf taught you that you bring to the pool table, too.

Were you in Des Moines in 99 for the Senior Open? I was there all week watching. (I just threw away the players media guide last week...it figures:embarrassed2:)

Jeff Livingston

blehnhard
07-23-2016, 06:07 AM
Jeff,

My last season was 98 - played in 2 Sr. Opens - Pinehurst and Canturbury (Ohio). Was an exempt player in 93 and 98. 94 thru 97, I did Monday Qualifying, mini tours, etc.

Worked in the golf business for 10 years after that and retired in 2009.

Was a club pro for 28 yrs before qualifying for the tour for the 93 season.

There are a lot of similarities between the 2 sports, but don't have time to go into them at the moment. Heading out for a pool match with 8 other guys - kind of a round robin format.

Bruce

Lesh
07-23-2016, 08:07 AM
Maybe I can still get a ride ;-)

Lou Figueroa

I'd give you a lift Lou.

There are a good many elder statesmen at my Home Room (Corner Pocket in Largo, FL). They teach, they impart, they suggest, they chide, banter, kibitz, poke, exclaim, cajole, peck the hell out of, and generally have a great time trying to teach anyone that will listen. It's an incredible resource... I feel lucky.

Lesh

lfigueroa
07-23-2016, 08:24 AM
I'd give you a lift Lou.

There are a good many elder statesmen at my Home Room (Corner Pocket in Largo, FL). They teach, they impart, they suggest, they chide, banter, kibitz, poke, exclaim, cajole, peck the hell out of, and generally have a great time trying to teach anyone that will listen. It's an incredible resource... I feel lucky.

Lesh

Gracias, Lesh.

As I ease into elder statesman role I find that I generally want to help people and at my home room I have given advice to several guys there. The thing is though that while most guys will listen attentively and offer profuse thanks, they're back at their old ways the next time you see them.

Pool takes a lot of discipline and it takes hard work to get to the fun part. A lot of guys want to skip the first part of that formula.

Lou Figueroa

michael4
07-23-2016, 08:25 AM
. But, insult them and piss them off and you will see the strength of that knowledge and experience at your own peril. Anyone experience what I am talking about?

My dad is a little too old now to move around the table, but definitely a solid player up until a couple years ago....played for fun at his local bar, unless some young punks were acting too cocky, then he would ask if they wanted to play for $100..............they always chickened out :rolleyes:

chefjeff
07-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Jeff,

My last season was 98 - played in 2 Sr. Opens - Pinehurst and Canturbury (Ohio). Was an exempt player in 93 and 98. 94 thru 97, I did Monday Qualifying, mini tours, etc.

Worked in the golf business for 10 years after that and retired in 2009.

Was a club pro for 28 yrs before qualifying for the tour for the 93 season.

There are a lot of similarities between the 2 sports, but don't have time to go into them at the moment. Heading out for a pool match with 8 other guys - kind of a round robin format.

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. You can always come back to azb and post some more.

Jeff Livingston

gehawe
07-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Don' piss off the old guys! There you go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SONoA5L1g

GreenFeltguy
07-24-2016, 07:39 AM
I'm about to make 71 in less than 3 weeks so I'm one of the old guys, however, I've always helped younger players.