PDA

View Full Version : Do you see your favorite pro pool players in the same way that you see celebrities?

justinb386
07-22-2016, 08:08 AM
This might seem really silly (to many of you), but to me, I see my favorite pro pool players in the same way as I see my favorite actors.

When I was at the DCC last year, it was so exciting for me, because I felt like there were celebrities walking around all over the place.

Many of my favorite players walked right past me, as I was chatting with the really friendly door person (the guy who made sure that everyone that went through into the tournament room paid for a pass to get in).

I felt really out of place though, because I felt like I was in a room filled with God's.

I would have loved to meet many of my favorite players that I seen, but I am an extremely shy person.

I think that $260 seems like a small price to pay for a chance to compete against one of your favorite pro players, but I think the chances of drawing one of those players is very slim, with the size of the field.

Anyways, just curious if you see your favorite pro players in the same way that you see celebrities (like your favorite actors for example), or do you not see them in that high of a regard?

Thanks for your thoughts about this.

ABR
07-22-2016, 09:49 AM
To me, actors are nothing special. But their personalities are sometimes interesting.

Good pool players clearly have amazing skills.
But sometimes lack in the " interesting" dept.

I don't see them in the same light, and would rather have dinner with someone like Johnny Archer than Johnny Depp.

s0lidz
07-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Every time I encounter a pro I always go for their autograph. To me its just like seeing a celebrity.

jb1911
07-22-2016, 10:03 AM
No I don't. I admire my favorite billiards stars, not so much celebrities.

pwd72s
07-22-2016, 10:58 AM
There are varying degrees of "celebrity". Pool pros will be recognized on the street by many of us...but those not into the pool scene wouldn't. Nascar drivers would be recognized by Nascar fans, but not by those who couldn't care less about racing.

So,celebrities? Yeah...but minor ones.

I used to be into Porsches. Happened to be at an event where Seinfeld attended...I witnessed some pretty sickening ass kissing.

So, my advice? Don't be a suck-up. Nobody likes suck-ups...even the celebrity being sucked up.

gregnice37
07-22-2016, 11:09 AM
I feel sorta like that Justin. But I've been around pros for a very long time. The difference though between pro pool players & any other pro athletes or movie stars or famous people in general is the interaction. Maybe besides pro bowling, pool is the closest sport where interaction with pros is so easy & down to earth. The cool thing about pro pool players is that most are very friendly. You can chat with them & have a good time with them. Ive been lucky enough to had some great experiences hanging out with Efren, Busty & Santos when they were in NJ in the early 2000's because they spent time with good friends of ours. So we got to hang with them outside of the poolhall & it was fun. So many other great experiences with all the other pros for the last 2 decades have been memorable too.

bdorman
07-22-2016, 11:51 AM
The cool thing about pro pool players is that most are very friendly. You can chat with them & have a good time with them.

That's because they're not burned out by the 24/7 attention. Can you imagine not being able to step outside your house without people glamming on to you? Sure, it's fun for an hour or two, or maybe a couple of days. But after that, it would be hell.

In answer to your question, I don't really view anyone as a celebrity; they're doing a job and the best ones do it well...so does the guy who cuts my lawn.

bazkook
07-22-2016, 12:33 PM
If a celebrity shared my interest of pool or any other common interest of mine, I would not mind talking to him or her. Pro pool players are relatable because: 1. they play our favorite sport (or at least mine :) ), 2. most (I guess) came from humble beginnings and worked their a** off to hone their skills (and still do) to make a living, and 3. most pool players are very approachable and down to earth.
Let's put it this way: if you were to approach a pool player and a celebrity in public, which one would have bodyguards willing to tackle you at moments notice? :wink:

measureman
07-22-2016, 12:46 PM
To me, actors are nothing special. But their personalities are sometimes interesting.

Good pool players clearly have amazing skills.
But sometimes lack in the " interesting" dept.

I don't see them in the same light, and would rather have dinner with someone like Johnny Archer than Johnny Depp.

Johnny Depp would probably pay for dinner.
Johnny Archer would have you pay for dinner and hit it you up for cab fare.
and to answer the OP's question. I put no one on a pedestal.
I was once in a pool room and one of if not the greatest cue maker to ever live came in.
I thought some of the guys were going to cum in their pants.
To me he was just another person with a great skill. that's it.

Cameron Smith
07-22-2016, 12:55 PM
There isn't a single actor/actress I have a special desire to meet. There are a few musicians who I'd love to talk to or jam with. Similarly there is a short list of pool/snooker/billiard players I'd enjoy a few drinks and a game with.

Level of fame isn't terribly important to me but rather the person and their contributions to sport/artform that I love. I met Luc Salvas over ten years ago and he was a great guy and very gracious to chat with my friend and I for an extended time.

A few years ago I met Antoine Dufour, a brilliant guitarist whom many probably haven't heard of. Also a great guy and an amazing talent.

I wouldn't trade either of those interactions to meet a more mainstream celebrity. I don't put anyone on a pedestal, but I enjoy the opportunity to interact and learn from experts in my favorite pursuits.

justinb386
07-22-2016, 01:39 PM
That's because they're not burned out by the 24/7 attention. Can you imagine not being able to step outside your house without people glamming on to you? Sure, it's fun for an hour or two, or maybe a couple of days. But after that, it would be hell.

In answer to your question, I don't really view anyone as a celebrity; they're doing a job and the best ones do it well...so does the guy who cuts my lawn.

The top pros that travel around playing most of the year have to be around their fans a lot, so they probably feel like celebrities everywhere they travel to, where they have fans that attend the tournaments just to see them and have a chance to meet them. So, yeah, they are not known to the average person that walks past them on the street, but many of the pros do have a lot of fans that might want an autograph or a picture taken with them, at every event they attend. I did not see any fans bothering the pros when I visited the DCC one day though. I did see a few guys ask Efren for a picture with him, and Efren was very friendly about it. Many of the pros seem very cool and down to earth.

justinb386
07-22-2016, 01:54 PM
If a celebrity shared my interest of pool or any other common interest of mine, I would not mind talking to him or her. Pro pool players are relatable because: 1. they play our favorite sport (or at least mine :) ), 2. most (I guess) came from humble beginnings and worked their a** off to hone their skills (and still do) to make a living, and 3. most pool players are very approachable and down to earth.
Let's put it this way: if you were to approach a pool player and a celebrity in public, which one would have bodyguards willing to tackle you at moments notice? :wink:

Yeah, you make some very good points.

For me, there were several pool players that were not even nationally known, or pro speed, who I looked up to with very high regard (guys like Pat McMillan, Andy Quinn, and other unknowns from my local area insouther in and not too far from southern Illinois ), who were God's (of pool) in my mind.

PocketPooler
07-22-2016, 01:56 PM
At one time, i thought of them as celebrities. After seeing them in a room, at a tournament, or evem locking up with one, your idea certainly changes. Superb talent but for most part, just one of the guys.

SJDinPHX
07-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Pool players, or male celebs don't turn me on at all..Now female celebs, thats another story. I have had a huge crush on Jennifer Aniston forever! If she were to enter a room I was in, or speak to me, I might pass out, but I would never make a fool of myself by begging for her attention.

I don't think most people realize what the life of a high profile celebrity is like..Someone like Jen A., cannot go anywhere in public without adoring fans hounding and flashing cameras at her!..I can only imagine how tiresome that must be..BTW, I have always thought autograph seekers should be shot.

SJDinPHX
07-22-2016, 02:37 PM
Aniston showed up in my mailbox naked on the cover of Rolling Stone at a key time in my youthful development.

As for pool players, having been around Dan Louie and Earl, my reaction is just embarrassment at my level in comparison to theirs.

Anyone who doesn't love Jennifer, (or at least her boobs, legs, and rear end) is either full blown gay, or massively retarded! ;)

justinb386
07-22-2016, 02:43 PM
No I don't. I admire my favorite billiards stars, not so much celebrities.

If you are into the TV shows or movies (or both ), then I imagine you have a favorite actor or actress (who you might love to meet, or the idea of meeting them might be exciting to you. So, my question was , do you see your favorite pool player in the same regard as your favorite TV or movie star? For me, it would be really exciting to meet Natalie Portman (for example), and it would be just as exciting to meet my all time most favorite female pool player, Allison Fisher .

justinb386
07-22-2016, 02:54 PM
I was once in a pool room and one of if not the greatest cue maker to ever live came in.

Yeah, I understand. Maybe a fellow cue maker (who was a big fan of many other cue makers) would be even more psyched about that cue maker walking in the door (maybe if it were Dennis searing , or Tim Scruggs, or Richard black, or any of the other famous cue makers). I guess it would just depend on if fans of that cue maker knew what he looked like. My favorite cue maker is LAMBROS (even though I have never had a chance to hit with one of his cues), but I do not know what he looks like. I imagine the fans that visit the conventions know what all their favorite cue makers look like though.

SJDinPHX
07-22-2016, 03:01 PM
If you are into the TV shows or movies (or both ), then I imagine you have a favorite actor or actress (who you might love to meet, or the idea of meeting them might be exciting to you. So, my question was , do you see your favorite pool player in the same regard as your favorite TV or movie star? For me, it would be really exciting to meet Natalie Portman (for example), and it would be just as exciting to meet my all time most favorite female pool player, Allison Fisher .

Sorry Justin..Jennifer can give Natalie and Allison the 5 out and the break, in looks and class,..and shes 45 yrs. old! :grin:
(I better back off, or you guys will think I'm overly fond of Jennifer!) :cool:

Johnny Rosato
07-22-2016, 03:02 PM
^^^ What he said ^^^

JoeyA
07-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Justin,
I don't see any of the pro players as celebrities but I do see them as comrades who try to master the white. Since they seem to do a far better job at it than I do, I give them props.

Each of the pro players like most actors, have their own personality and so each has their own set of fans, much similar to actors in that respect.

I understand how you might feel excited hanging out and competing with the greatest in the sport that you love.

We need more people like you in our sport. Thanks for sharing the journey.

JoeyA

This might seem really silly (to many of you), but to me, I see my favorite pro pool players in the same way as I see my favorite actors.

When I was at the DCC last year, it was so exciting for me, because I felt like there were celebrities walking around all over the place.

Many of my favorite players walked right past me, as I was chatting with the really friendly door person (the guy who made sure that everyone that went through into the tournament room paid for a pass to get in).

I felt really out of place though, because I felt like I was in a room filled with God's.

I would have loved to meet many of my favorite players that I seen, but I am an extremely shy person.

I think that $260 seems like a small price to pay for a chance to compete against one of your favorite pro players, but I think the chances of drawing one of those players is very slim, with the size of the field.

Anyways, just curious if you see your favorite pro players in the same way that you see celebrities (like your favorite actors for example), or do you not see them in that high of a regard?

wahcheck
07-22-2016, 04:39 PM
The first Pro Tournament I ever went to (way back in the 80's), I was awestruck at all the talent in the room; what made it a special experience was the ability to mingle and talk to them at close quarters, unlike any other sport where you might see great talents, but they would not be as accessible. I suppose that is a perk of Pool not being a big time sport in terms of money, prestige, and exposure, but those Pros are all big time talents. A lot of them are even real regular guys, not having that egotistical or arrogant bent.

lfigueroa
07-22-2016, 07:14 PM

I believe there was a time I felt that way. But I had the opportunity at one point in my life to travel and participate in a lot of big time tournaments and see pro pool players in situ, or at least many of them, for what they were. No disrespect, but it is/was what it is/was. I saw a lot of crap.

Lou Figueroa

JAM
07-23-2016, 02:35 AM
The first Pro Tournament I ever went to (way back in the 80's), I was awestruck at all the talent in the room; what made it a special experience was the ability to mingle and talk to them at close quarters, unlike any other sport where you might see great talents, but they would not be as accessible. I suppose that is a perk of Pool not being a big time sport in terms of money, prestige, and exposure, but those Pros are all big time talents. A lot of them are even real regular guys, not having that egotistical or arrogant bent.

I remember my first pro tournament. It was at Q-Masters in Virginia. Keith was in the hot seat, and it was double elimination, one extended race at the end. Michael Coltrain came from the loser's bracket and won the event. The tournament was packed, standing room only. I wish I could remember the name of it. I think it was Spring-something.

Seeing all the pros that I had only read about in pool magazines or heard through the grapevine about their play was a thrill. Each one was so polite and nice, taking time to talk to the fans.

One game in particular, Keith was playing Ron Parks, a strong player at this event. They were in the money rounds. Keith missed the game-winning shot for the match and left Ron what looked to be a straight-in duck shot on the 8-ball, with the cueball and 8-ball both resting on the end rail. The 9-ball was at the opposite end of the table, about 3 inches from the corner pocket.

I was standing at the rail sweating the match with my friend Billy Stephen. I said to Billy, "Well, looks like we lost," feeling the pressure, seeing the two duck shots. Billy's reply was, "Don't be so sure. That is not an easy shot." I looked at him, wondering how it was not an easy shot. The 8-ball was about 6 inches from the corner pocket, and the cueball was about 3 inches directly behind it, both balls on the rail. He then added, "He's got to get shape on the 9, and these two balls are on the rail."

Well, Billy was right, and in trying to get shape, Ron missed. And Keith won.

After hours at the tournament, Keith was asked to gamble against Sam Monday. I think Keith spotted Sam two balls in a 9-ball game, 12-ahead set. Everybody pooled their money against Keith, thinking Sam was a lock to win. And the set went Sam's way when he hit 10 games ahead, but it was like Keith got a second wind and came back to even and then surged forward at 12 games ahead to take down the cheese. We won more money in that set than what the tournament paid for 1st place. Kaching!

Even the pro players liked to sweat Keith play. Hanging out with them on the rail was a thrill for this amateur social shooter. I miss those days.

Pool is a unique "sport," if you will, in that the professional players do mingle on a personal level with the railbirds and fans at every pool event. In other sports, you don't see that too often or as much as you do in pool. I don't view them as celebrities. They're people, just like me, but I do respect their skills and capabilities on a field of tournament blue or green. Those who disrespect them usually stems from p***s envy, a socioemotional state stemming from their childhood that they can't help. Thankfully, not everybody acts or feels the urge to disrespect the professionals of our industry that most of us all love and enjoy. :)

Lesh
07-23-2016, 05:41 AM

Really great question.

I shook hands with Willem Dafoe and Peter O'Toole in the same room at a private party where I did not exactly belong, and felt completely out of place. Not because I was crashing the party and trying to smuggle half a smoked salmon while appearing as though I owned the place. I felt out of place because I had absolutely NOTHING in common with Willem or Peter. They were (of course) charming and polite people that did not disappoint in any way as I had imagined them... but I shook hands and complimented them on their success and went merrily on my way for the simple fact that I had nothing more to share with them (aside form my stunning presence).

However, if I were to meet say.... Hall of Famer Rodney Morris or Darren Appleton, Efren, Alex, Etc... I would surely have the goo-goo star thing happening, but I would also feel like they were part of my family and want to ask them how they are and just stuff about rooms they like and equipment and events.... Stuff we have in common. Cuz we are part of a very small community (relatively speaking).

Pool players are a breed.

Lesh

JAM
07-23-2016, 05:47 AM
Really great question.

I shook hands with Willem Dafoe and Peter O'Toole in the same room at a private party where I did not exactly belong, and felt completely out of place. Not because I was crashing the party and trying to smuggle half a smoked salmon while appearing as though I owned the place. I felt out of place because I had absolutely NOTHING in common with Willem or Peter. They were (of course) charming and polite people that did not disappoint in any way as I had imagined them... but I shook hands and complimented them on their success and went merrily on my way for the simple fact that I had nothing more to share with them (aside form my stunning presence).

However, if I were to meet say.... Hall of Famer Rodney Morris or Darren Appleton, Efren, Alex, Etc... I would surely have the goo-goo star thing happening, but I would also feel like they were part of my family and want to ask them how they are and just stuff about rooms they like and equipment and events.... Stuff we have in common. Cuz we are part of a very small community (relatively speaking).

Lesh

Tap, tap,tap! Well said! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

poolwhiz
07-23-2016, 06:57 AM
I was in Las Vegas in the early 90's for a pool tournament when a young kid came up to me and asked if he could get my autograph. I gave him my autograph and he looked up to me and said, are you somebody. I still laugh about it till today.

HawaiianEye
07-23-2016, 12:06 PM
I see people as "people" and treat them like "normal" people.

Just because somebody does something well, doesn't mean they should be put on a pedestal.

I've met lots of pro people and didn't see anything special in them, other than they may have more money than most people and maybe more people following them around.

I see and talk to Rodney every time he comes to Brian's...he is just a normal guy who shoots pool extremely well. The same goes for Allison Fisher when she comes here a couple times a year. She hangs out and talks, just like normal people do.

Lonestar_jim
07-23-2016, 12:15 PM
I must be a clairvoyant.

Deleted comment. Some here are brighter than this dim bulb.

FWIW I have related to some pool icons in the same way I would to a professor or person of enlightened abilities.

shinobi
07-23-2016, 12:28 PM
Really great question.

Lesh

You might have something in common if you asked them what they do other than being great actors.

(just hope Willem doesn't say, "I like to go for long swims in piles of gold doubloons, DuckTales style" because you might not be able to relate to that either)

NastyNate13
07-23-2016, 12:28 PM
Playing in NYC I'm lucky to see pros pretty often (which is cool as f***)

Last week alone I met Jennifer Baretta, Hunter Lombardo, Thorsten Hohmann, Jayson Shaw, Sean Morgan... which is cool for me because I've watched them all on YouTube and such.

I just treat them like how I want to be treated. After my 14.1 match, I sat down at the bar and unknowingly sat next to Thorsten and just told him how much I was a fan of his game and try to emulate him when I ply straight from pool.

He thanked me up and down and I bought him a drink and he gave me some helpful tips.

onepocketron
07-23-2016, 06:52 PM
I look at them all as just people that have different gifts. Some have acting gifts, some have cue sports gifts. I don't worship the ground they walk on, nor elevate them to some high place. I do have respect for their talents and enjoy watching them perform.

DJSTEVEZ
07-24-2016, 12:21 PM
error error

DJSTEVEZ
07-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Yes, absolutely. Meeting Mike Sigel this year was an awesome thing...and I have to admit, on my bucket list.

Back in either the very late 80s or the very early 90's I went to one of the BCA trade shows in Kentucky. The night before the expo was a charity event and the whole pool world was there. The program had pictures of the players who attended.

I met & got autographs from Minnesota Fats (well, a rubber stamp of his autograph actually), Steve Mizerak, Lori-John Jones, Ewa Mataya (before she was Lawrence), Nick Varner and a whole bunch of others. I was in my late 20s or very

early 30s but I felt like I was meeting the NY Yankee baseball heros from my youth.

As far as the NYC scene, I've had the privilege of meeting Fran Crimi (one of the nicest people in the world). A friend of mine introduced me to Billie Billings who was also a real sweetheart, Before Jeanette Lee had burst onto the

national/international scene she was a house pro at Howard Beach Billiards in Queens, NY and I got to meet her there. Everyone in the NYC scene knew she was going to be a superstar because of her skills on the table, and certainly her

amazing beauty didn't hurt. She was very outgoing and sweet. I've always wanted to meet Jean Balukas, but so far it hasn't happened. I've heard that in addition to being one of thee most lights-out players of her day, she was also one of

the nicest people in the pool world.

It's funny, none of the Pros I've met acted like they thought they were a celebrity. Nearly all of them were quite humble. Well, now that I'm thinking of it, Jimmy Mataya did. Maybe I just caught him on a bad day (it was at a cocktail party, he

wasn't shooting at the time). I caught him in what looked an awful lot like he was trying to pick up my (then) girlfriend. Later in the evening, she said he was giving her the full court press and was not in the least bit subtle.. This is while he

was still married to Ewa. Suffice to say, I'm not a fan -Z-

BmoreMoney
07-24-2016, 12:38 PM

So, ya didn't tell us ----- who is ur man crush?????

SJDinPHX
07-24-2016, 02:10 PM

Many of my favorite players walked right past me, I felt really out of place though, because I felt like I was in a room filled with God's. I would have loved to meet many of my favorite players that I seen, but I am an extremely shy person.

Apparently you live and breathe pool, Justin..Nothing wrong with that, but as you mature, you will find pro pool players to be
no different than the rest of the world..Some good people, some bad, and some real a--holes!..In that regard, yes, they are
the same as celebs, but let me make a point here. Idolizing them, or comparing them with celebrities is a bit far-fetched..
If Tom Cruise or Jackie Gleason were to walk down a busy street, virtually everyone would recognize them..Earl Strickland or Buddy Hall could walk down every street in NYC, and NO ONE would know, or care who they were, and that would include 99.9% of the zillions of people who play pool regularly.

PS..Only a real pool nut, (like you or JoeyA) would even think about trying to compare pool players with celebs..In a race to ten, it would be, Celebs 10--Pool players 0 :embarrassed2:

PPS..In case no one has noticed, JoeyA has always been master of diplomacy..But, he sounds like an "autograph seeker" to me!..Warm up the firing squad! :eek: :D

AtLarge
07-24-2016, 05:11 PM
I remember my first pro tournament. It was at Q-Masters in Virginia. Keith was in the hot seat, and it was double elimination, one extended race at the end. Michael Coltrain came from the loser's bracket and won the event. The tournament was packed, standing room only. I wish I could remember the name of it. I think it was Spring-something. ...

Here you go -- Q-Masters Spring Classic in April, 2002: http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/99-independent-tournaments/419-q-masters-spring-classic/results/

JAM
07-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Here you go -- Q-Masters Spring Classic in April, 2002: http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/99-independent-tournaments/419-q-masters-spring-classic/results/

Bingo! That is it. Wow! Thanks for sharing that. :)

JoeyA
07-24-2016, 08:42 PM
You've been drinking again, haven't you.....
I told you that Yukon Jack will be the death of you.
JoeyA

Apparently you live and breathe pool, Justin..Nothing wrong with that, but as you mature, you will find pro pool players to be
no different than the rest of the world..Some good people, some bad, and some real a--holes!..In that regard, yes, they are
the same as celebs, but let me make a point here. Idolizing them, or comparing them with celebrities is a bit far-fetched..
If Tom Cruise or Jackie Gleason were to walk down a busy street, virtually everyone would recognize them..Earl Strickland or Buddy Hall could walk down every street in NYC, and NO ONE would know, or care who they were, and that would include 99.9% of the zillions of people who play pool regularly.

PS..Only a real pool nut, (like you or JoeyA) would even think about trying to compare pool players with celebs..In a race to ten, it would be, Celebs 10--Pool players 0 :embarrassed2:

PPS..In case no one has noticed, JoeyA has always been master of diplomacy..But, he sounds like an "autograph seeker" to me!..Warm up the firing squad! :eek: :D

wayne
07-24-2016, 09:59 PM
I remember my first pro tournament. It was at Q-Masters in Virginia. Keith was in the hot seat, and it was double elimination, one extended race at the end. Michael Coltrain came from the loser's bracket and won the event. The tournament was packed, standing room only. I wish I could remember the name of it. I think it was Spring-something.

Seeing all the pros that I had only read about in pool magazines or heard through the grapevine about their play was a thrill. Each one was so polite and nice, taking time to talk to the fans.

One game in particular, Keith was playing Ron Parks, a strong player at this event. They were in the money rounds. Keith missed the game-winning shot for the match and left Ron what looked to be a straight-in duck shot on the 8-ball, with the cueball and 8-ball both resting on the end rail. The 9-ball was at the opposite end of the table, about 3 inches from the corner pocket.

I was standing at the rail sweating the match with my friend Billy Stephen. I said to Billy, "Well, looks like we lost," feeling the pressure, seeing the two duck shots. Billy's reply was, "Don't be so sure. That is not an easy shot." I looked at him, wondering how it was not an easy shot. The 8-ball was about 6 inches from the corner pocket, and the cueball was about 3 inches directly behind it, both balls on the rail. He then added, "He's got to get shape on the 9, and these two balls are on the rail."

Well, Billy was right, and in trying to get shape, Ron missed. And Keith won.

After hours at the tournament, Keith was asked to gamble against Sam Monday. I think Keith spotted Sam two balls in a 9-ball game, 12-ahead set. Everybody pooled their money against Keith, thinking Sam was a lock to win. And the set went Sam's way when he hit 10 games ahead, but it was like Keith got a second wind and came back to even and then surged forward at 12 games ahead to take down the cheese. We won more money in that set than what the tournament paid for 1st place. Kaching!

Even the pro players liked to sweat Keith play. Hanging out with them on the rail was a thrill for this amateur social shooter. I miss those days.

Pool is a unique "sport," if you will, in that the professional players do mingle on a personal level with the railbirds and fans at every pool event. In other sports, you don't see that too often or as much as you do in pool. I don't view them as celebrities. They're people, just like me, but I do respect their skills and capabilities on a field of tournament blue or green. Those who disrespect them usually stems from p***s envy, a socioemotional state stemming from their childhood that they can't help. Thankfully, not everybody acts or feels the urge to disrespect the professionals of our industry that most of us all love and enjoy. :)

Nice post Jam. It is a very tough profession and it is a pity that some have the need to try to demean the pros.

I don't know if you were aware that you posted right after Lou Figueroa took his usual cheap shot.

Interestingly enough the last time you posted in response to him on one pocket org (when he tried to align himself to you and you pointed out the major difference being your respect for the pros while he constantly tries to tear them down) that was his last post before he got banned for his horrible behavior.

I only got to play against Keith once and it was on a very tough snooker table at Players Billiards in L.A. It was a 3 way game with Ferrell being the other player.
I was up big and Keith was about even and Ferrell was down big when Keith caught a gear. He made shots on that table that I never saw anyone else make. It was a real eye opener. Keith ended up the big winner and I was lucky to get out around even because Ferrell went bust.

Wayne

JAM
07-25-2016, 03:14 AM
Nice post Jam. It is a very tough profession and it is a pity that some have the need to try to demean the pros.

I don't know if you were aware that you posted right after Lou Figueroa took his usual cheap shot.

Interestingly enough the last time you posted in response to him on one pocket org (when he tried to align himself to you and you pointed out the major difference being your respect for the pros while he constantly tries to tear them down) that was his last post before he got banned for his horrible behavior.

I only got to play against Keith once and it was on a very tough snooker table at Players Billiards in L.A. It was a 3 way game with Ferrell being the other player.
I was up big and Keith was about even and Ferrell was down big when Keith caught a gear. He made shots on that table that I never saw anyone else make. It was a real eye opener. Keith ended up the big winner and I was lucky to get out around even because Ferrell went bust.

Wayne

I am aware of that table in L.A. Keith speaks about it all the time in his pool tales. Is Ferrell the same guy as Sparky?

I just don't understand the reasoning for why some like to beat up the pros, never have. I remember one time we went to an Orioles game at Camden Yards in Baltimore. They were playing the New York Yankees. Orioles and Yankees had a longstanding feud against each other when playing, and sometimes Camden Yards would fill up with more Yankee fans than Orioles fans. :eek:

Well, this player named Darryl Strawberry got up to bat, and at that time, he was involved in some hanky panky. I can't even remember what it was. I had good seats, right above the Orioles dugout, and I was yelling out "BOO! BOO! BOO! BOO!," like nonstop. My friend looked at me and said, "How would you like to be him and hear that?" I stopped booing and realized, hey, Strawberry is just another member of my higher power's human family.

Pool pros are also members of that human family. Yes, they sure do make mistakes, and so have I in my life. We all have skeletons. Pool pros don't have the income that most of us who work 9 to 5 do, yet they keep following their passion. Some hit it big, but the majority scrape by. Yes, I know nobody asked them to play pool for a living, and this is where a lot of resentment comes in from mainstream pool peeps. What's ironic, though, is in my experience at least, those who shout the loudest in a negative manner against the pros as the very ones who are standing in line asking for autographs and taking selfies with them. ;)

lfigueroa
07-25-2016, 07:17 AM
I am aware of that table in L.A. Keith speaks about it all the time in his pool tales. Is Ferrell the same guy as Sparky?

I just don't understand the reasoning for why some like to beat up the pros, never have. I remember one time we went to an Orioles game at Camden Yards in Baltimore. They were playing the New York Yankees. Orioles and Yankees had a longstanding feud against each other when playing, and sometimes Camden Yards would fill up with more Yankee fans than Orioles fans. :eek:

Well, this player named Darryl Strawberry got up to bat, and at that time, he was involved in some hanky panky. I can't even remember what it was. I had good seats, right above the Orioles dugout, and I was yelling out "BOO! BOO! BOO! BOO!," like nonstop. My friend looked at me and said, "How would you like to be him and hear that?" I stopped booing and realized, hey, Strawberry is just another member of my higher power's human family.

Pool pros are also members of that human family. Yes, they sure do make mistakes, and so have I in my life. We all have skeletons. Pool pros don't have the income that most of us who work 9 to 5 do, yet they keep following their passion. Some hit it big, but the majority scrape by. Yes, I know nobody asked them to play pool for a living, and this is where a lot of resentment comes in from mainstream pool peeps. What's ironic, though, is in my experience at least, those who shout the loudest in a negative manner against the pros as the very ones who are standing in line asking for autographs and taking selfies with them. ;)

I believe the only time I have asked for a pool player's autograph was when I took a 14.1 lesson from Ray Martin and asked him to sign my copy of "The 99 Critical Shots in Pool." There was no line.

oh yeah, and Willie Mosconi, after an exhibition in SF when I was a teen.

As a side note: I have been asked for my autograph a few times so there are four copies of WOP in existence inscribed with same (along with scads of other signatures). I'm always a little dubious when asked, like, "are you sure you got the right guy?" But then I sign carefully.

Lou Figueroa

Tramp Steamer
07-25-2016, 07:22 AM
I need some clarification before I answer your question. Is Linda Lovelace a celebrity? :D

Icon of Sin
07-25-2016, 07:35 AM
I did until I went to my first pool event (SBE) like 12 years ago. Seeing them just walking around made me realize they are just normal people that are trying their best to get by on this game... Im still very respectful to them though as there level of ability and talent in the same shared past time is incredible.

Jimbojim
07-25-2016, 07:43 AM
I have only met Mika Immonen in person when he came up here for some exhibition matches and while I fully admire his talent, I wasn't too impressed by his demeanor during the matches he played. I don't the man personally so I won't judge him.

ceebee
07-25-2016, 08:43 AM
I met a lot of celebrities, when I was an Assistant Golf Pro & I've met lots of Pro Pool Players at the big tournaments in our booth. For the most part, they all seem like regular folks (with the occasional exception).

Knowing there is some thing in common, when you meet someone, makes the situation easy from the start.

justinb386
07-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Pool players, or male celebs don't turn me on at all..Now female celebs, thats another story. I have had a huge crush on Jennifer Aniston forever! If she were to enter a room I was in, or speak to me, I might pass out, but I would never make a fool of myself by begging for her attention.

I don't think most people realize what the life of a high profile celebrity is like..Someone like Jen A., cannot go anywhere in public without adoring fans hounding and flashing cameras at her!..I can only imagine how tiresome that must be..BTW, I have always thought autograph seekers should be shot.

Yeah, their fans should respect their privacy, and leave them alone. That is one reason why I would not want to bother one of my favorite pool players. I feel that they probably just want to be left alone (by strangers anyway). I would feel much more comfortable if one of their fellow friends offered to introduce me to them. That would make things feel much less awkward for me. I love Jen Anderson too , by the way. Never liked the show Friends though, lol.

justinb386
07-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Anyone who doesn't love Jennifer, (or at least her boobs, legs, and rear end) is either full blown gay, or massively retarded! ;)

I love Jennifer Winston (always have), but not enough to watch the sit com that she stared in for so many years. I just never liked sit coms (other then, married with children, lol). She is great though, and always loved her personality.

justinb386
07-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Sorry Justin..Jennifer can give Natalie and Allison the 5 out and the break, in looks and class,..and shes 45 yrs. old! :grin:
(I better back off, or you guys will think I'm overly fond of Jennifer!) :cool:

Let's just agree to disagree on that one. Jennifer is very beautiful (yes), but she is no Natalie Portman in my mind. Natalie has always been my dream girl. By the way, did you know that she has an ivy league education? She got her degree at Harvard. She is very smart, and very classy I think. Nothing against Jennifer though. I always loved her too.

justadub
07-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Over the years, I've had occasion to meet a number of people with a level of notoriety or celebrity. When I was in the radio biz years ago, it was backstage passes to concerts to meet the musicians. Also met a couple Playmates, doing radio promotions. :p

In my retail career I've had more than a few actors/actresses etc shop in my store. I've been fortunate to have been able to meet more than a few profession baseball, football and hockey players over the years. And as I live in Bangor, Maine, it used to be no big deal to run into Stephen King on a regular basis around town.

(Not so much any longer, sadly, as a stalker put the end to that. Before that, he would go anywhere, anytime, it was no big deal. Sure, folks would always come up to him to talk and such, but he was pretty much a regular guy, at least as much as Stephen King could be considered normal...heh. He was very engaging to have any of a hundred basic conversations with.)

Mr. Dechaine is from Maine, and I had the chance to encounter him at our pool hall a short while ago, and that was pretty cool too. Not so much the interaction, which was fine, but to see him shooting from a few feet away, effortlessly (appearing, of course) running rack after rack, making the most amazing shots, even just messing around. Yeah, I guess I can include "pool celebrities" in the larger grouping.

Yes, I enjoy meeting folks with some notoriety about them. We spend a lot of time following their exploits in their areas of expertise, so its somewhat natural to be curious as to how they are in the real world. But I'm not awestruck or anything, I simply enjoy the chance to meet interesting folks, when the occasion presents itself. Most of the time you find it reinforced that they're pretty much like the rest of us, for better and for worse. Which is refreshing.

pt109
07-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Yeah, their fans should respect their privacy, and leave them alone. That is one reason why I would not want to bother one of my favorite pool players. I feel that they probably just want to be left alone (by strangers anyway). I would feel much more comfortable if one of their fellow friends offered to introduce me to them. That would make things feel much less awkward for me. I love Jen Anderson too , by the way. Never liked the show Friends though, lol.

Yeah, well you blew at the DCC....Alex loves everybody.

Paul Newman didn't like being asked for autographs....he didn't want to be put on a pedestal.
He showed up in my town....had a few hours to kill, so hung around a pool hall where they had a regular golf game....nobody bothered him other than to say hello....
...so he stayed for almost four hours.

Oh, and SJD...Jennifer calls me twice a week....eat your heart out...:D

justinb386
07-25-2016, 01:27 PM
So, ya didn't tell us ----- who is ur man crush?????

Lol, my man crush? What do you mean by that? Johnny archer was my favorite pool player as a kid, and after seeing Alex pagulayan play, he has been my favorite. Morra is another of my favorites. Corry is another (always loved his game) . Speaking of actors ? I do not know, but I do not have a crush on any of them, lol.