PDA

View Full Version : Why is the US Open held during the week?

Shermanscs
07-23-2016, 08:01 AM
It is so difficult for pool to get viewership in the first place. Why would they host the US open during the week and not on the weekend when it would be easier to get viewership? Makes no sense to me. Let's host one of the most significant events for a sport we all complain isn't getting the attention it needs or deserves when no one can watch.

Jerry Forsyth
07-23-2016, 09:09 AM
I know it is counter-intuitive, but stream views and tournament attendance are greater during the week than on weekends. Don't know of a study to tell us why, but the numbers sink on weekends.

boogeyman
07-23-2016, 09:11 AM
It is so difficult for pool to get viewership in the first place. Why would they host the US open during the week and not on the weekend when it would be easier to get viewership? Makes no sense to me. Let's host one of the most significant events for a sport we all complain isn't getting the attention it needs or deserves when no one can watch.

Shermanscs. Good observation, I think part of the answer lies within your own post.
Since pool viewership is lacking in the first place (as you say), any convenience or lack
thereof for spectators is not necessarily of primary concern for those showcasing the tournament.

I believe holding an event during the normal work week (in U.S. at least) allows the
opportunity to communicate with secondary and tertiary entities,
e.g. venue owners, banks, moving companies, quite efficiently when and if needed.

It makes a world of difference when something is needed during a tournament,
meeting, convention, seminar, etc. and a phone call results in someone being on the other end to help in a pinch.

That's my take.
Anyone else have any other reasons for a major U.S. event being held during the work week and not the weekend?

JoseV
07-23-2016, 09:35 AM
With the amount of entries i just don't see how they can wrap that up over the weekend.

HawaiianEye
07-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Because pro pool players don't have jobs. They have all week to play pool. On weekends they like to stay home and mow the grass and wash their cars. :)

realkingcobra
07-23-2016, 03:13 PM
I know it is counter-intuitive, but stream views and tournament attendance are greater during the week than on weekends. Don't know of a study to tell us why, but the numbers sink on weekends.

Because most people already have their weekends planned, and it don't include watching pool;)