PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of old guys....

Texas Carom Club
07-24-2016, 04:26 PM
today was the only day I had time to get out and get my 14.1 practice on.

soon after I start an old guy comes up and asks if he can play with me, I said sure.as long as its not 8ball , I mention that I prefer straight pool
he was willing to learn a new game he never heard of, took to it well, I had him reading the stack soon after we got going, hes not terrible.

says hes a trucker from Oregon that owns a bar up there.
like me he loves to learn, play guitar, was a former machinist, music lover,and a kool guy, from the few hrs I spent playing with him,

so while I didn't get in quality practice I got in quality time with a like minded individual
he said I made his sunday, and well mine wasn't too bad either

lfigueroa
07-24-2016, 04:37 PM

soon after I start an old guy comes up and asks if he can play with me, I said sure.as long as its not 8ball , I mention that I prefer straight pool
he was willing to learn a new game he never heard of, took to it well, I had him reading the stack soon after we got going, hes not terrible.

like me he loves to learn, play guitar, was a former machinist, music lover,and a kool guy, from the few hrs I spent playing with him,

so while I didn't get in quality practice I got in quality time with a like minded individual

Cool story, thanks for sharing.

I've had some good moments over the years. Some guys have become lifelong friends, other good long distance acquaintances.

Amazing what "that game with the fifteen numbered balls, (the) a devil's tool" can do.

Lou Figueroa

Tramp Steamer
07-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Bless their little hearts.
The other day an old guy came in, walked over to the table where we were playing team One Pocket, looked us all over, then promptly shit his pants and walked out. The place smelled like who did it, what for, don't do it no more.
One of our guys said he knew him from church where he was banned from Sunday school. :smile:

boogeyman
07-24-2016, 05:49 PM

Great post -- 14.1, a trucker, bar owner, love to learn, and a fine Sunday. Classic.
Thanks for sharing.

Fenwick
07-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Bless their little hearts.
The other day an old guy came in, walked over to the table where we were playing team One Pocket, looked us all over, then promptly shit his pants and walked out. The place smelled like who did it, what for, don't do it no more.
One of our guys said he knew him from church where he was banned from Sunday school. :smile:

He was banned from Sunday school. You ain't right. I like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_POtA6O1WE

alphadog
07-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Guy who is 80 tells me ,he and Jack(75ish), played a couple of old guys some 1 pocket. Said they skinned em good:wink:
I said your 80 how old were the "old guys"? His reply 1 was 85 the other 96!:) He added , Jack is going blind but the other guy cant see well enough to drive so its a pretty even game.

pt109
07-25-2016, 09:38 AM
An old guy changed my attitude towards billiards for life with one sentence...
...I had made a great shot on a 6x12 from the end rail...
...kissed off two reds...and scratched in the side pocket....
...I complained bitterly....( gimme a break, I was 17 )
An old guy sitting on the bench said..."Kid, that side pocket has been there for a hundred years."

..from then on, I have taken responsibility for the results of ALL my shots.

Jimbojim
07-25-2016, 10:19 AM
An old guy changed my attitude towards billiards for life with one sentence...
...I had made a great shot on a 6x12 from the end rail...
...kissed off two reds...and scratched in the side pocket....
...I complained bitterly....( gimme a break, I was 17 )
An old guy sitting on the bench said..."Kid, that side pocket has been there for a hundred years."

..from then on, I have taken responsibility for the results of ALL my shots.

hahaha this thread is worth it for this line alone!