PDA

View Full Version : USA Mosconi Cup POINTS Ranking Table

JoeyA
07-26-2016, 01:39 PM
Mosconi Cup XXIII
Team USA

TOP TEN IN POINTS. Not sure if this takes into consideration Shane's TWO recent U.S. Open victories.

1 MORRIS Rodney -178

2 DOMINGUEZ Oscar -161

3 VAN BOENING Shane - 150

4 DECHAINE Mike - 133

5 WOODWARD Skyler -115

6 WILKIE Shaun - 83

7 MCMINN Shane - 74

8 LOMBARDO Hunter - 71

9 DEUEL Corey - 62

10 SAEZ Robb - 59

BRussell
07-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Yes it does, it was updated right away.

JoeyA
07-26-2016, 01:48 PM
Yes it does, it was updated right away.

Thanks!
JoeyA

kcnate66
07-27-2016, 07:52 AM
I'd love for the standing to stay pat except for Bergman working his way into Dechaine's spot. Hopefully Mark doesn't just take the top 5. If it ended today I'd hope he would take Sky and Bergman with his two captain picks in addition to the top 3

sciarco
07-27-2016, 09:02 AM
Morris
Oscar
SVB
Sky
Bergman
but that's just my opinion for what it's worth

watchez
08-02-2016, 08:01 AM
WPA Events

1 - 80 pts
2 - 67
3/4 - 53
5/8 - 40
9/16 - 27
17/32 - 13

Looks like if SVB wins one more match, he will take over the Mosconi Cup point total as well.

BRussell
08-02-2016, 09:00 AM
WPA Events

1 - 80 pts
2 - 67
3/4 - 53
5/8 - 40
9/16 - 27
17/32 - 13

Looks like if SVB wins one more match, he will take over the Mosconi Cup point total as well.

So Oscar doesn't get any points for his efforts, finishing 33-64.

watchez
08-02-2016, 09:11 AM
So Oscar doesn't get any points for his efforts, finishing 33-64.

Nope -- that's why this point system is kinda a joke. Way too many tournaments in a year. Like I said - there should be 6 events. One every other month for the player to compete in, on US soil. They want a player to spend $25K (or more) to go around and play in all of these events just to have a chance to make the Mosconi Cup team and maybe win $10K.

Of course a player will win some money in tournaments along with way but still not enough to survive for most. Let's look at the recent US Open Bar table 8 ball and 10 ball championships. Oscar had $700 in entry fees for the two events. He got 5th in the 10 ball for $1500. He got 13th in the 8 ball for $350. So he netted $1150 before expenses. For argument sake, let's say he didn't live in LA and had to fly to Vegas. That is $300 minimum. Than 5 days stay in Vegas hotel, if he split the room - another $250. Then 5 days of eating in Vegas and the inflated pricing of food during the event at the Rio - another $250. So he walks with $300.

JoeyA
08-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Your post makes a lot of sense.

Expenses are off the chart for most pool tournaments but the tournaments not on US soil are practically unjustifiable for American players.

JoeyA

Nope -- that's why this point system is kinda a joke. Way too many tournaments in a year. Like I said - there should be 6 events. One every other month for the player to compete in, on US soil. They want a player to spend $25K (or more) to go around and play in all of these events just to have a chance to make the Mosconi Cup team and maybe win $10K.

Of course a player will win some money in tournaments along with way but still not enough to survive for most. Let's look at the recent US Open Bar table 8 ball and 10 ball championships. Oscar had $700 in entry fees for the two events. He got 5th in the 10 ball for $1500. He got 13th in the 8 ball for $350. So he netted $1150 before expenses. For argument sake, let's say he didn't live in LA and had to fly to Vegas. That is $300 minimum. Than 5 days stay in Vegas hotel, if he split the room - another $250. Then 5 days of eating in Vegas and the inflated pricing of food during the event at the Rio - another $250. So he walks with $300.

watchez
08-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Your post makes a lot of sense.

Expenses are off the chart for most pool tournaments but the tournaments not on US soil are practically unjustifiable for American players.

JoeyA

Oscar spent $1100 in airfare to go to Qatar and that is after he changed his flight to fly from something like LA to Amsterdam to some other country to Qatar, turning a 13 hour flight into a 23 hour flight. A direct flight would have been $2400.

ElLeon
08-02-2016, 11:09 AM
I have no idea how these top notch athletes can afford to ply their craft, I really don't. Unless you are in the top 1-5 players in a given country, then you're basically homeless.

(Full disclosure: I am not being sarcastic at all)

jayburger
08-02-2016, 11:36 AM
I have no idea how these top notch athletes can afford to ply their craft, I really don't. Unless you are in the top 1-5 players in a given country, then you're basically homeless.

(Full disclosure: I am not being sarcastic at all)

I,m sure you're not being sarcastic,just stating the facts. Playing professional pool in the us for prize money from tournaments is simply impossible to make a living period. We all love this game (or else we wouldn,t be here on azb) but unless a person gambles(this is where everyone here has their opinion on gambling and how that is what is wrong with pool etc...) but the simple FACT is that the math for what it costs to travel,eat,entry fees, entertainment,etc.. Of playing tournament pool is impossible to make a living. Outside of shane, i don,t think any player in the us with the lack of endorsement money and the expenses of playing tournament pool can clear any more money than a regular guy or gal working for 10-15 bucks an hour. Professional pool players have been trying to make it my whole life(i am 48) only to find out that you can,t do it without gambling to supplement their income and that is also brutally tough (if you,ve lived that life a little you know what i mean) a person who wants to play pool for a living better really,really love the game,because at the end of your life all he is gonna have to show for it is the stories and experiences they had along the way(absolutely nothing wrong with that,but if financial gain is your goal its not gonna happen)